The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Lieutenant Colonel T T Munford

Captain A H Boykin, Boykin's Mounted Rangers

Boykin's Mounted Rangers

Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861. Mustered in Confederate service for the war 31 July, 1861

CAPTAIN A H BOYKIN
The company was accepted in state service at Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, on 17 April, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service for the war on 26 June, 1861.

Sources

"Hon. A. H. Boykin accompanied the Guards to Richmond where he will see they are comfortably provided for."

The Camden Weekly Journal, 30 April, 1861 - Our volunteers

"The last detachment of the Richland Rangers, from South Carolina, passed through this place yesterday on their way to Virginia. They are the command of Captain Boykin, of Richland District."

Williamsburg Journal, 4 July, 1861 - Richland Rangers

"Petersburg Express 6th - A detachment of fifteen or twenty men, members of the Boykin Rangers, Capt. Boykin, from South Carolina, passed on through this city yesterday to join their company, stationed under Beauregard's command. They were thoroughly armed and well mounted."

Charleston Courier, 8 July, 1861 - Passed through

"We paid a visit today to the various encampments in the neighbourhood of the city, and found, among others, Col. Forney's Tenth Regiment of Alabma, a corps of Virginia Artillerists, Mississippi Cavalry, Texas Rangers, Boykin Rangers, and last, though not least, your pets of the Hampton Legion."

The Charleston Courier, 10 July, 1861 - Richmond, Va., 5 July, 1861

"Major A. H. Boykin, our Senator in the State Legislature, left on Wednesday last with his command of Mounted Rangers, armed with rifles, double-barreled shotguns, and revolvers."

The Lancaster Ledger, 10 July, 1861 - Off for the war

"Just at sundown the 6th South Carolina Regiment, under Col. Winder, which had come to Manassas in the afternoon, arrived upon the field, and before the battle was quite over, came the splendid troop of cavalry, under Capt. Boykin. Hampton's Legion came in time for a bloody part in the action of the day, but were not able to bring on the cavalry or Washington Artillery. Of the members of the artillery company, at least, many were present in the action as infantry, and shared the fortunes of the Legion."

The Edgefield Advertiser, 7 August, 1861 - Details of the great battle, Army of the Potomac, near Manassas, 23 July, 1861

"Encircling the slope on which our canvas is pitched, Col. Kershaw's Regiment is encamped. Crowning the hill opposite, about half a mile to our right, Col. Cash's forces are lying, and the 7th South Carolina Volunteers, Col. Bacon, occupy the ridge between. Gen. Bonham has his headquarters here in a small wooded house, formerly the property of a Yankee, (of whom, by the way, this country is still full), and Captain Boykin's cavalry, acting as a garde d'honneur, have picketed thier steeds within musket shot of his door."

The Charleston Mercury, 24 August, 1861 - Camp Kershaw, Fairfax C. H., Va., 16 August, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Midlands, by R S Seigler

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 64, Serial No.76: Record of events for Second South Carolina Cavalry, June 1861-December 1864, edited by James B Hewett

"Boykin's Rangers in tantrums because Joe Kershaw says he won the battle. The Rangers came too late. They were on the ground only after the turn of the tide. They left Richmond that morning."

Mary Chesnut's Civil War, by Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut

A savage conflict: The decisive role of guerrillas in the American Civil War, by Daniel E Sutherland

Notes

Boykin's Mounted Rangers was accepted in state service at Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Kingsville, Richland District, or Florence, Darlington District, South Carolina, in the evening on 26 June, 1861.

Note: The DeKalb Rifle Guards, under the command of Captain T L Boykin, was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 23 April, 1861, and was accompanied by A H Boykin ( See the 1st South Carolina Infantry). The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Pickens or Davis, on the James River, east of the Reservoir or Water Works and Hollywood Cemetery, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 April, 1861.

Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 26-28 June, 1861: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was ordered to proceed by the Wilimgton & Manchester Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 26 June, 1861, and arrived at Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina, via Florence, Darlington District, South Carolina, on 27 June, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861.

Note: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was accepted in Confederate service for the war on 26 June, 1861, and a detachment of fifteen to twenty men of Boykin's Mounted Rangers arrived at Petersburg, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, 6 July, 1861: A detachment of Boykin's Mounted Rangers, under the command of Captain A H Boykin, was stationed at Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.

Special Orders No.215, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: Boykin's Mounted Rangers, the Natchez Cavalry or Adams Troop, and the Texas Rangers were ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.215, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

Note: The Texas Rangers (formerly the Virginia Mounted Rangers) or Rosser's Mounted Rangers (85/106), under the command of Captain J T Rosser, was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year on 3 July, 1861, and was stationed at Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 5 July and 13 August, 1861. The company was ordered to White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.

Fairfield Racecourse, opposite Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 17-21 July, 1861: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.223, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, dated 16 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was stationed at Camp Fairfield, Fairfield Racecourse, opposite Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 1 and 17 July, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was ordered to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.157, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861, dated 23 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Gregg, in the vicinity of Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day.

Mustered in war, Camp Gregg, in the vicinity of Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, 31 July, 1861: Boykin's Mounted Rangers was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Gregg, in the vicinity of Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Assistant Adjutant General & Captain W H Stevens, corps engineers, Confederate States Army, at 12 PM on 31 July, 1861.

Note: The Boykin's Mounted Rangers was stationed at Camp Gregg, in the vicinity of Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 24 July and 13 August, 1861, and was ordered to Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 14 August, 1861, and was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, Company A, on 22 August, 1862.

2nd South Carolina Cavalry, 22 August, 1862: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, the 4th South Carolina Battalion Cavalry, Boykin's Mounted Rangers, and the Bonham Light Dragoons were assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry on 22 August, 1862 (See the Hampton Legion).

Surrendered at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, 26 April, 1865: The 2nd South Carolina Cavalry surrendered at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, on 26 April, 1865.

Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Major General M L Bonham, South Carolina Militia, was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 6 PM on 24 April, 1861. He was accompanied by the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L, and was assigned to command the Department of Alexandria and set up headquarters at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.95, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry). Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st South Carolina Infantry. He arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the the troops stationed at Fairfax County, Virginia, and the 2nd South Carolina Infantry by Special Orders No. 1 and General Orders No.9, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 4 and 9 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Black Horse Troop (See Munford's Squadron Cavalry). He was assigned to command the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and reappointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 21 October, 1861, dated 14 July, 1861.

Note: Brigadier C eneral P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, assumed command of the Department of Alexandria at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861.

The Boykin's Mounted Rangers was assigned to the First Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General M L Bonham, by Special Orders No.169, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.