The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fourth Brigade, First Division

Brevet Major H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M

Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M

Second United States Artillery, Light Company M

Arrived at Washington, D. C., 14 July, 1861

BREVET MAJOR & CAPTAIN H J HUNT, Second United States Artillery
Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was appointed major, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Section: FIRST LT. E R PLATT
First Lieutenant E R Platt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Artillery, Company C, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861.

Two light 12 pounder smoothbores, 1857

Section: First LT. J THOMPSON
First Lieutenant J Thompson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861 (See 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Two light 12 pounder smoothbores, 1857

Note: Second Lieutenant J W Barlow, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, arrived at Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861. He was appointed first lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, 3 January-2 April, 1861

Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, Second United States Artillery, Company M
Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was assigned to command Harpers Ferry Arsenal, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 3 January and 2 April, 1861.

Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was stationed at Washington, D. C., on 2 January, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 2-3 January, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt , 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 2 January, 1861, and arrived by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the morning on 3 January, 1861.

Note: A detachment of sixty-two mounted service recruits stationed at Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, were ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of First Lieutenant R Jones, United States Mounted Riflemen, at 6 AM on 7 January, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht District, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 2-3 April, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht District, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 2 April, 1861, and was accompanied by a detachment of fifteen mounted service recruits. He arrived at Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht District, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, in the morning on 3 April, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant R Jones, United States Mounted Riflemen, was assigned to command Harpers Ferry Arsenal, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 2 and 18 April, 1861.

Evacuation of Harpers Ferry Arsenal, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 18 April, 1861: A detachment of forty-five mounted service recruits, under the command of First Lieutenant R Jones, United States Mounted Riflemen, destroyed the Harpers Ferry Arsenal, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 10 PM on 18, April, 1861, and was ordered across the Potomac River at the Latrobe & Wernwag Bridge, the same day. The detachment arrived at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 7 AM on 19 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by horse drawn omnibuses to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning the same day. The detachment of forty-five mounted service recruits was ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, at 12 PM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at 2.30 PM the same day (See the 2nd Virginia Infantry).

Note: Major L P Graham, 2nd United States Dragoons, was stationed at Headquarters, Cavalry Depot, Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, as superintendent, Mounted Recuiting Service, on 17 April, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).

Sources

"The United States steamer transport Illinois hass arrived at New York with Fort Pickens dates to 29 June. She brings Major Hunt's light battery, Company M, eighty-seven me."

The National Republican, 15 July, 1861 - From Fort Pickens

"Major Hunt's battery, which arrived here on Sunday morning last, went into Virginia, to join McDowell's command, at an early hour yesterday morning."

The National Republican, 20 July, 1861 - Gone over

The man behind the guns: A military biography of General Henry J. Hunt, chief of artillery, Army of the Potomac, by Edward G Longacre

The American almanac and repository of useful knowledge for the year 1861, by Crosby, Nicholas, Lee and company

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866-67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U. S. Army

Notes

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was stationed at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, under the command of Captain B H Hill, 1st United States Artillery, Company M, on 9 March, 1861 (See the 1s United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Note: Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was assigned to command Harpers Ferry Arsenal, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 3 January and 2 April, 1861.

Surrender of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, 21 February, 1861: A detachment of the 2nd United States Artillery (12), Light Company M, under the command of First Lieutenant J Thompson, was ordered to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, on 9 February, 1861, and surrendered Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, to E B Nichols, commisioner to the State of Texas, on 21 February, 1861 (See the 1st Texas Infantry).

Note: A detachment of the 2nd United States Cavalry (20) arrived on 18 February, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Arizona to Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the evening on 20 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).

Post Return of Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, (?) February, 1861: Captain B H Hill, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery (74), Company M, Second Lieutenant W M Graham; 2nd United States Artillery (64), Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, H B Clitz

Note: The 3rd United States Infantry (154), Companies C and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel E Backus, were stationed at Ringgold Barracks, Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 25 February, 1861, and arrived at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 28 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry). The 1st United States Artillery, Companies F and L, and Light Company K, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, were stationed at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 19 February, 1861, and arrived at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, 10 March, 1861; The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, under the command of First Lieutenant E R Platt, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Mexico to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, on 10 March, 1861, and arrived at Camp Witherell, on the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, the same day.

Note: The 3rd United States Infantry, Companies C and E, were ordered to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 10 March, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, by the steamer Matamoros on 11 March, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Companies F, L, and M, were ordered to the mouth of the Rio grande River, on 10 March, 1861.

Mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, to New York City, New York County, New York, 19-30 March, 1861; The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Daniel Webster to New York City, New York County, New York, on 19 March, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies C and E (See the United States Battalion Infantry). Light Company M arrived at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861, and at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, in the afternoon the same day. Company M was ordered to New York City, New York County, New York, on 25 March, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of The Battery, on State Street and Battery Place, New York City, New York County, New York, at 3 PM on 30 March, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies C and E, were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, between 30 March and 6 April, 1861.

Steamer Daniel Webster: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; First Lieutenant H W Closson, 1st United States Artillery, Company F; First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; Second Lieutenant W M Graham, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant G D Baily, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M; Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Second Lieutenant A N Shipley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E

Garrison at Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 5 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C (70), Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E (68), Captain H B Clitz; 2nd United States Artillery (65), Light Company A; Captain W F Barry; 2nd United States Artillery (86), Light Company M; Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt

Note: Captain S Jones, 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was assigned a leave of absence on 24 May, 1858, and resigned at Washington, D. C., on 22 April, 1861, accepted on 27 April, 1861. The steamer Daniel Webster was ordered to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 15 February, 1861, and arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861, and at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 25 February, 1861. The steamer Daniel Webster arrived at Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, on 2 March, 1861, and at Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 3 March, 1861.

Fort Pickens relief Expedition, 7-16 April, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, was stationed at Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 6 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, embarked on the steam tug R L Mabey to the transport steamer Atlantic, at 3 PM on 6 April, 1861.

Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 7-16 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Atlantic, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery, at 3.30 AM on 7 April, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Triangle Shoals, two miles below Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, at 2 PM on 13 April, 1861. Light Company M was ordered to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, at 6 AM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 2 PM the same day. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, at 9 PM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 6.30 PM on 16 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, disembarked in the evening on 16 April, 1861, and in the morning on 17 April, 1861.

Transport steamer Atlantic: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers (See the United States Corps Engineers); 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, Captain W F Barry (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt; United States Corps Engineers, Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz (See the United States Battalion Infantry)

General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Department of Florida, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 13 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery, was assigned to command of the Department of Florida by General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Department of Florida, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 13 April, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 25 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery (80), Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery (40), Light Company G, First Lieutenant A J Slemmer; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company A, Captain W F Barry; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Company H, Brevet Colonel & Captain H Brooks; Captain H A Allen, 2nd United States Artillery (88), Company K; Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company M; 3rd United States Infantry (87), Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt; 3rd United States Infantry (90), Company E, Captain H B Clitz; United States Corps Engineers (60), Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane

Note: First Lieutenants E R Platt and J Thompson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, were stationed at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 30 April, 1861.

Second United States Artillery, Light Company M

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was stationed at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, between 17 April and 26 June, 1861.

Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 26 June-12 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Illinois to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 26 June, 1861, and arrived at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 30 June, 1861. Light Company M was ordered to Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 4 July, 1861, and arrived the same day. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 3 PM on 8 July, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 12 July, 1861.

Note: Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was appointed major, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 13-14 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, and four light 12 pounder 1857 smoothbores was ordered to Washington, D. C., on 13 July, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at 7 AM on 14 July, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was reorganised as light artillery at the Washington Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington, D. C., between 14 and 19 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant P O Craig, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, and Cadet J R Meigs were assigned as volunteer aides to Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, at Capitol Hill, east of the Capitol building, between East Capitol and First Streets, Washington, D. C., on 18 July, 1861. First Lieutenant P O Craig, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was killed at the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., in the morning on 19 July, 1861, and arrived one mile north of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, the same day.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, one mile north of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 19 July, 1861, and a section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., was assigned to Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, in the evening on 20, July, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

General Orders No.22, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel I B Richardson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, was assigned to the Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by General Orders No.22, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

One mile north of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was stationed one mile north of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, under the command of First Lieiutenant J Thompson, was stationed one mile north of Blackburn's Ford, west of the road between Cenreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, and Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and the 16th New York Infantry and the 32nd New York Infantry were ordered to support a section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, under the command of First Lieutenant E R Platt, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 21 July, 1861, and was stationed one mile south of Centreville, east of the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day. The company was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 22 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, via Annandale and Bailey's Crosssroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was accompanied by the 1st New Jersey Infantry and 2nd New Jersey Infantry between Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, and Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was appointed chief of artillery, McDowell's Army, at Washington, D. C., on 23 July, 1861.

Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the toll gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was stationed in the vicinity of Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the toll gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Statement of artillery, Brevet Major & Chief of Artillery H J Hunt, 29 July, 1861: Four light 12 pounder smoothbores, M1857; One hundred & seven men

Distribution of troops, 1 January, 1861: Light Company A, Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery, Company H (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); Company B, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); Company C, Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold; Light Company D, Fayetteville Arsenal, Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, Brevet Major & Captain S S Anderson (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D); Light Company E, Augusta Arsenal, in the vicinity of Sand Hills, three miles north of Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, Captain A Elzey (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E); Light Company F, Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, Captain J Totten; Light Company G, Fort Mackinac, Mackinac Island, Michigan, Captain H C Pratt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G); Company H, Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); Company I, Fort Ridgely, one mile west of the Missouria River, Nicollett County, Minnesota, Major W W Morris, 4th United States Artilley (See the Fort McHenry, Department of Annapolis); Company K, Plattsburg Barracks, Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); Company L, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimick, 2nd United States Artillery; Light Company M, Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, Captain B H Hill, 1st United States Artillery, Company M

Organisation of 2nd United States Artillery, 3 April, 1861: Colonel M M Payne, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimick, Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Major M Burke; Light Company A, Captain W F Barry; Company B, Captain A Elzey; Company C, Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold; Company D, Captain S S Anderson; Company E, Captain J H Carlisle; Company F, Captain J Totten; Company G, Captain H C Pratt; Company H, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks; Company I, Captain A A Gibson; Company K, Captain H A Allen; Company L, Captain W Hays; Company M, Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt

Note: Colonel M M Payne, 2nd United States Artillery, resigned at Richmond, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Company B, 1 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, on 1 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, under the command of Captain J H Carlisle, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 1 January, 1861, and detachments of the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, on 24 January, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G). Captain A Elzey, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, was assigned to the 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., on 16 February, 1861, and Captain J H Carlisle, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, at Washington, D. C., on 21 February, 1861.

Fort Independence, Company C, 10 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company C, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, was stationed at Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, on 9 January, 1861.

Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, Company C, 10-18 January, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery (66), Company C, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Joseph Whitney to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, in the afternoon on 10 January, 1861, dated 5 January, 1861, and arrived on 18 January, 1861.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of United States Artillery Recruits, 23 February, 1861: The steamer Daniel Webster arrived atFort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861, and a detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (28) disembarked on 23 February, 1861.

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits & 2nd United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: A detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (11), Companies L and M, and the 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, 25 March, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, 2nd United States Artillery, Company C; 1st United States Artillery, Company L, Captain S K Dawson; 1st United States Artillery, Company M, First Lieutenant O L Morris; 2nd United States Artillery, Company C

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies L and M, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861.

Surrendered Little Rock Arsenal, Company F, 8 February, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Captain J Totten, was stationed at Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 7 February, 1861.

Garrison at Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, 7 February, 1861: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, Captain J Totten

Note: First Lieutenant M D L Simpson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, vacted his commission on 25April, 1861, dated 18 June, 1846, and Second Lieutenant H A Smalley was appointed first lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 25 April, 1861, dated 22 May, 1861.

Seizure of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, 8 February, 1861: Captain J Totten, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, surrendered Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, at 3 PM on 8 February 1861 (See the 1st Arkansas Infantry).

Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, to St. Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, 8-22 February, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, acting as infantry, was ordered to Fletcher's Landing, on the Arkansas River, in the vicinity of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, by General Orders No.3, Headquarters, Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 8 February, 1861, and to proceed by the steamer Medora on the Arkansas River to St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, by General Orders No.6, Headquarters, Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 8 February, 1861, on 12 February, 1861. Light Company F arrived at St. Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 22 February, 1861.

St Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, to Jefferson Barracks, on the Mississippi River, in the vicinity of Carondelet, St. Louis County, Missouri, 23 February, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to Jefferson Barracks, on the Mississippi River, in the vicinity of Carondelet, St. Louis County, Missouri, by Special Orders No.24, Headquarters, Department of the West, St Louis, St Louis County, on 23 February, 1861.

Note: Captain J Totten, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, arrived at Fletcher's Landing, on the Arkansas River, in the vicinity of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 11 February, 1861.

Jefferson Barracks to United States Powder Magazine, on the Mississippi River, in the vicinity of Carondelet, St. Louis County, Missouri, 10 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to the United States Powder Magazine, on the Mississippi River, in the vicinity of Carondelet, St. Louis County, Missouri, in the morning on 10 April, 1861.

United States Powder Magazine, on the Mississippi River, in the vicinity of Carondelet, to St. Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, 12 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to St. Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 12 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at Jefferson Barracks, on the Mississippi River, Lemay, St. Louis County, Missouri, under the command of Major N C MaCrae, 3rd United States Infantry, between 22 February and 10 April, 1861.

Troops stationed at St Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, 13 April, 1861: Captain N Lyon, 2nd United States Infantry, Company B; 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, 1st Sergeant W Griffin; 2nd United States Artilley, Light Company F, Captain J Totten; United States General Service Recruits, 1st Company, Second Lieutenant W F Lee, 2nd United States Infantry, Company I; United States General Service Recruits, 2nd Company, Captain T W Sweeny, 2nd United States Infantry, Company D; 4th United States Artillery Recruits, 1st Company, First Lieutenant R Saxton, 4th United States Artillery, Company I; 4th United States Artillery Recruits, 2nd Company, Second Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M (See the United States Army, Department of Washington)

Seizure of Camp Jackson, Lindell('s) Grove, between Central or Olive Street Plank Road and Laclede Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, 10 May, 1861: Eight hundred and ninety-one men of the 1st and 2nd Regiments, 1st Brigade, Missouri (Volunteer) Militia, under the command of Brigadier General D M Frost, were ordered to Camp Jackson, Lindell's Grove, between Central or Olive Street Plank Road and Laclede Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 6 May, 1861, and surrendered to Captain N Lyon, 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, in the afternoon on 10 May, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at Camp Harvey, the old Abbey Trotting Race Track, between Taylor Avenue and Whittier Street, and Easton Street and Page Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 30 May, 1861.

St Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St Louis, St. Louis County, to Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, steamer Iatan, 13-15 June, 1861: A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Iatan on the Mississippi River to Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, at 11 AM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived at Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, at 2 PM on 15 June, 1861.

Steamer Iatan, Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, 13 June, 1861: 1st Missouri Infantry, Companies C, D, E, F, G, Lieutenant Colonel G L Andrews; 4th United States Artillery Recruits, acting as infantry, and United States General Service Recruits, First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M; section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F

St Louis Arsenal, on Carondelet Avenue, St Louis, St. Louis County, to Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, steamer J C Swon, 13-15 June, 1861: A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to proceed by the steamer J C Sw(a)on on the Mississppi River to Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, at 2 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived on the Missouri River at St Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, at 8.30 PM the same day. A section of Light Company F was stationed at Hermann, Gasconade County, Missouri, at 4 PM on 14 June, 1861, and arrived two miles east of St Aubert, Osage County, Missouri, in the evening the same day.

Steamer J C Sw(a)on, Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, 13 June, 1861: Brigadier General N Lyon, United States Volunteers; 1st Missouri Infantry, Companies A, B, H, I, and K, Colonel F B Blair, Jr.; section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F; Independent Company (Missouri) Pioneers, Captain J D Voerster

Note: The 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, and a section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Brigadier General N Lyon, United States Volunteers, embarked on the steamer Iatan on 15 June, 1861.

Jefferson City, Cole County, to Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, 16-17 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to proceed by steamer on the Missouri River to Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, at 2 PM on 16 June, 1861, and disembarked eight miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, at 11 AM on 17 June, 1861. Light Company F was engaged in a skirmish four miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, in the morning the same day and arrived at Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, at 2 PM on 17 June, 1861.

Troops engaged during the skirmish four miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, 17 June, 1861: Brigadier General N Lyon, United States Volunteers; 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, First Sergeant W Griffin; 4th United States Artllery Recruits, acting as infantry, and United States General Service Recruits, First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M; 1st Missouri Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I, K, Colonel F P Blair, Jr.; 2nd Missouri Infantry, Rifle Companies A and B, Major P J Osterhaus, 2nd Missouri Infantry; four companies of the 2nd Missouri Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel F S(c)ha(e)f(f)er; 2nd United States Artillery, Captain J Totten

Note: The 1st Missouri Infantry, Company D, and a detachment of artillery with one 8 inch howitzer were assigned to guard the steamers Iatan, A McDowell, and City of Louisiana during the skirmish four miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, in the morning on 17 June, 1861.

Cooper County Agricultural Fairgrounds, two miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, & Syracuse, Morgan County, Missouri, 19-23 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Captain J Totten, was ordered to Syracuse, Morgan County, Missouri, in the evening on 19 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Missouri Infantry, companies C, D, F, G, and I, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Company B. Light Company F arrived at Syracuse, Morgan County, Missouri, at 10 AM on 20 June, 1861, and was stationed at Syracuse, Morgan County, Missouri, between 3 PM on 21 June, and 22 June, 1861. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, on 23 June, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, on 19 June, 1861, and the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at Camp Cameron, the Cooper County Agricultural Fairgrounds, two miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, on 30 June, 1861.

Troops ordered to Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, 3 July, 1861: Brigadier General N Lyon, United States Volunteers; detachment of ten men of the 1st United States Reserve Corps, Missouri Cavalry, Company A; 2nd United States Infantry (74), Company B, First Sergeant W Griffin; 4th United States Artllery Recruits (93), acting as infantry, and United States General Service Recruits (49), First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M; 1st Missouri Infantry (958), Lieutenant Colonel G L Andrews; 2nd Missouri Infantry, Rifle Company A and Company B, Major P J Osterhaus, 2nd Missouri Infantry; 1st Iowa Infantry (961), Colonel J F Bates; 2nd United States Artillery (69), Light Company F, Captain J Totten; Independent Company (Missouri) Pioneers (39), Captain J D Voerster

Note: Four companies of the 7th Missouri Infantry (362), under the command of Major (?) Curry, were ordered to proceed by the Pacific Railroad to Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, in the evening on 27 June, 1861, and were accompanied by two companies of the 5th Missouri United States Reserve Corps Infantry. Four companies of the 2nd Missouri Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel F S(c)ha(e)f(f)er, were stationed at Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, on 2 July, 1861.

Cooper County Agricultural Fairgrounds, two miles east of Boonville, Cooper County, to Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, 3-13 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, by General Orders No.4, Headquarters Missouri Volunteers, Camp Cameron, the Cooper County Agricultural Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, at 7 AM on 3 July, 1861, dated 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Pilot Grove, Cooper County, Missouri, in the afternoon the same day. Light Company F arrived in the vicinity of Camp Cole, Benton County, Missouri, on 6 July, 1861, and at Browning's Ferry, on the Grand River, ten miles southeast of Clinton, Henry County, Missouri, in the evening on 7 July, 1861. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered across the Grand River, at Browning's Ferry, ten miles southeast of Clinton, Henry County, Missouri, in the morning on 8 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoffman's Ferry, on the Osage River, twelve miles west of Oceola, St. Clair County, Missouri, at 12 PM the same day. Light Company F was ordered across the Osage River, at Hoffman's Ferry, twelve miles west of Oceola, St. Clair County, Missouri, between 9 and 10 July, 1861, and arrived at Pond Springs, on Pond Creek, one mile northwest of Little York, and twelve miles west of Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, in the afternoon on 13 July, 1861.

Armament: one brass 12 pounder, three brass 6 pounders, one 24 pounder howitzer, one iron 6 pounder

Pond Springs, on Pond Creek, one mile northwest of Little York, & twelve miles west of Springfield, Greene County, & Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, 20-26 July, 1861: A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Second Lieutenant G O Sokalski, 2nd United States Dragoons, Company I, was ordered to Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, in the evening on 20 July, 1861, and arrived at 6 PM on 22 July, 1861. A section of Light Company F was ordered to Pond Springs, on Pond Creek, one mile northwest of Little York, and twelve miles west of Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, at 12 PM on 23 July, 1861, and arrived at 2 PM on 26 July, 1861.

Note: Second Lieutenant G O Sokalski, 2nd United States Dragoons, Company I, was assigned to the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, by Special Orders No.22, Army of the West, Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, on 15 July, 1861.

Expedition to Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, 20-25 July, 1861: Acting Brigadier General & Captain T W Sweeney, 2nd United States Infantry, Company D; 1st Iowa Infantry, Companies B, E, F, G, H, and I, Lieutenant Colonel W H Merritt; five companies of the 2nd Kansas Infantry, Colonel R B Mitchell; 2nd Kansas (Mounted) Infantry, Company I, Captain S N Wood; 1st United States Cavalry, Company C, Captain D S Stanley; 1st United States Cavalry, Company D, First Lieutenant J M Kelly, 1st United States Cavalry, Company C; section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, Second Lieutenant G O Sokalski, 2nd United States Dragoons, Company I

Note: A detachment of eighty men of the Taney and Christian Counties Home Guard, under the command of Captain C Callaway, was ordered to Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, in the evening on 20 July, 1861, and a section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at Swan Creek, half a mile east of Forsyth, Taney County, Missouri, between 22 and 23 July, 1861.

Organisation of First Brigade, Army of the West, Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, 24 July, 1861: Major S D Sturgis, 1st United States Cavalry; 1st United States Cavalry, Company B, Captain F Wheaton; 1st United States Cavalry, Company C, Captain D S Stanley; 1st United States Cavalry, Company D, Captain W L Elliott, United States Mounted Riflemen; 1st United States Cavalry, Company I, Captain E A Carr; 1st United States Infantry, Company B, Captain C C Gilbert; 1st United States Infantry, Company C, Captain J B Plummer; 1st United States Infantry, Company D, Captain D Huston, Jr.; United States Mounted Riflemen Recruits, Company A, First Lieutenant H C Woods, 1st United States Infantry, Company D; 2nd United States Dragoons, Company C, First Lieutenant C E Farrand, 1st United States Infantry, Company E; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, Captain J Totten

Pond Springs, on Pond Creek, one mile northwest of Little York, & twelve miles west of Springfield, Greene County, to Chalybeate Springs, Lawrence County, Missouri, 25 & 28 July, 1861: A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to Chalybeate Springs, Lawrence County, Missouri, under the command of Colonel G W Deitzler, 1st Kansas Infantry, at 7 AM on 25 July, 1861, and arrived at Spring Creek, thirteen miles east of Mount Vernon, Lawrence County, Missouri, the same day. A section of Light Company F was ordered to Chalybeate Springs, Lawrence County, Missouri, on 28 July, 1861.

Distribution of troops, Camp Conant, Chalybeate Springs, Lawrence County, Missouri, 30 July, 1861: Colonel G W Deitzler, 1st Kansas Infantry; 1st Kansas Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, G, H; 2nd Kansas Infantry, Colonel R B Mitchell; 2nd United States Dragoons, Company C, First Lieutenant C E Farrand, 1st United States Infantry, Company E; section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F

Distribution of troops, Camp McClellan, Pond Springs, on Pond Creek, one mile northwest of Little York, & fifteen miles southwest of Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, 30 July, 1861: Major S D Sturgis, 1st United States Cavalry; 1st United States Cavalry, Company C, Captain D S Stanley; 1st United States Cavalry, Company D, Captain W L Elliott, United States Mounted Riflemen; 2nd Kansas (Mounted) Infantry, Company I, Captain S N Wood; 1st United States Infantry, Company B, Captain C C Gilbert; 1st United States Infantry, Company C, Captain J B Plummer; 1st United States Infantry, Company D, Captain D Huston, Jr.; United States Mounted Riflemen Recruits, Company A, First Lieutenant H C Woods, 1st United States Infantry, Company D; 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, First Sergeant W Griffin; 2nd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain F Steele; United States Mounted Riflemen and 1st and 2nd Dragoons Recruits, Company B, acting as infantry, Captain G Granger, United States Mounted Riflemen; 4th United States Artllery Recruits, acting as infantry, First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M; five companies of the 1st Missouri Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel G L Andrews; 2nd Missouri Infantry, Rifle Company A, First Lieutenant A Guentzel; 2nd Missouri Infantry, Company C, Captain H Bendel; 1st Iowa Infantry, Colonel J F Bates; detachment of twenty men of the 13th Illinois Infantry, First Lieutenant J M Beardsley, 13th Illinois Infantry, Company D; DuBois' Light Artillery, Second Lieutenant J V DuBois, United States Mounted Riflemen; two sections of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, Captain J Totten

Dug Spring(s), on the Wire Road, three miles southwest of Clever, Greene County, & McCullah's Store or Curran Post Office, Stone County, Missouri, 2 & 3 August, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to proceed by the Wire Road to Pond Creek, Greene County, Missouri, in the afternoon on 1 August, 1861, and arrived at Tyrel or Terrell Creek on Wilson's Creek, Greene County, Missouri, in the evening the same day. Light Company F was engaged in a skirmish at Dug Spring(s), on the Wire Road, three miles southwest of Clever, Greene County, Missouri, at 5 PM on 2 August, 1861, was stationed one mile northeast of Hayden's Farm, six miles southwest of Wilson's Creek, Greene County, Missouri, in the evening the same day. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to McCullah's Store or Curran Post Office, on the Wire Road, Stone County, Missouri, in the morning on 3 August, 1861, and to Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, in the morning on 4 August, 1861. Light Company F arrived at Springfield, Greene County, Missouri, on 5 August, 1861.

Troops engaged during the skirmish at Dug Spring(s), on the Wire Road, three miles southwest of Clever, Greene County, Missouri, 2 August, 1861: Captain F Steele, 2nd United States Infantry, Company E; 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, First Sergeant W Griffin; 2nd United States Infantry, Company E, First Sergeant G H McLaughlin; United States Mounted Riflemen and Dragoon Recruits, Company B, acting as infantry, Lance Sergeant J Morine, United States Mounted Riflemen; United States General Service Recruits, First Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery, Company M; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, Captain J Totten; 1st United States Cavalry, Company D, Captain D S Stanley

Engagement at Wilson's Creek or Oak Hills, Greene County, Missouri, 10 August, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was engaged in the battle of Wilson's Creek or Oak Hills, Greene County, Missouri, on 10 August, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Company L, 1 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, on 1 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, under the command of Captain W Hays, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 1 January, 1861, and detachments of the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, on 24 January, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Colonel I B Richardson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, Fourth Brigade, First division, Army of the Northeastern Virginia: Colonel I B Richardson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861 (See the 2nd Michigan Infantry).

Organisation of Brigadier General W B Franklin's brigade, Division of the Potomac, 4 August, 1861: Brigadier General W B Franklin, United States Volunteers; 15th New York Infantry; 18th New York Infantry; 31st New York Infantry; 32nd New York Infantry; 1st New York Cavalry, Company C; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, was assigned to Brigadier General W B Franklin's brigade, Division of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.29: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp377-381
Major H J Hunt, Second United States Artillery, Light Company M, dated in the vicinity of Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the toll gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.28: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp373-377
Colonel I B Richardson, Second Michigan Infantry, Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861