The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fourth Brigade, First Division

Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G

Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G

First United States Artillery, Light Company G

Arrived at Washington, D. C., 9 July, 1861

FIRST LIEUTENANT J EDWARDS, JR., Third United States Artillery
First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, was on garrison duty at Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County Maryland, between April and July 1861 and was appointed captain, 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 December, 1861, dated 23 July, 1861.

Section: Second LT. S N BENJAMIN, Second United States Artillery
Cadet S N Benjamin was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company I, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and first lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Two 20 pounder Parrott rifles

Assignment: Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army (See the Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army).

Section: SECOND LT. P C HAINS, Second United States Artillery
Cadet P C Hains was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.41, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 July, 1861, on 24 June, 1861, and first lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 December, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861.

30 pounder Parrott rifle (Long Tom)

Assignment: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, under the command of Captain J H Carlise, on 20 July, 1861 (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E).

Note: Second Lieutenant J H Butler, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, was assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, First Section, during the first battle of Bull Run.

Statement of artillery lost: One 30 pounder Parrott rifle (Long Tom)

Fort Pickens Relief expedition

Steamer Brooklyn, 24 January-6 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, under the command of Captain I Vogdes, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, Company A, 24 January-6 February, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, under the command of Captain I Vogdes, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Brooklyn to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Commadore C H Poor, United States Navy, at 5 PM on 24 January, 1861, and arrived at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, in the morning on 31 January, 1861. Company A was ordered to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, in the evening on 1 Febryary, 1861, and arrived on 6 February, 1861.

Note: Captain I Vogdes, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, disembarked and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 6 February, 1861.

Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 21 March & 12 April, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was assigned to the frigate Sabine in the vicinity of Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 21 March, 1861, and disembarked in the evening on 12 April, 1861.

Note: Detachments of the 1st United States Artillery, Company C (5); the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6); the 3rd United States Artillery, Companies F (6) and K (5); and the 4th United States Artillery, Companies D (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, at Fort Monroe, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861, and Captain I Vogdes, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was appointed major, 1st United States Artillery, by General Orders No.64, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Steamer Brooklyn: 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; four mountain howitzers and two 12 pounder field howitzers

Transport Steamer Atlantic, 7-16 April, 1861

Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 7-16 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A and Light Company M; the United States Corps Engineers, Company A; and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies C and E, was ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Atlantic, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery, at 3.30 AM on 7 April, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Triangle Shoals, two miles below Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, at 2 PM on 13 April, 1861. The transport steamer Atlantic was ordered to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, at 6 AM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 2 PM the same day. The transport steamer Atlantic was ordered to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, at 9 PM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 6.30 PM on 16 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M; the United States Corps Engineers, Company A; and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies C and E, disembarked in the evening on 16 April, 1861, and in the morning on 17 April, 1861. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, disembarked in the afternoon on 17 April, 1861, and in the morning on 18 April, 1861.

Transport steamer Atlantic: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers (See the United States Corps Engineers); 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, Captain W F Barry (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M); United States Corps Engineers, Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz (See the United States Battalion Infantry)

Transport Steamer Illinois, 9-19 April, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Companies H and K, were stationed at Fort Lafayette, The Narrows, opposite Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht District, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, between 5 and 9 April, 1861.

Fort Lafayette, The Narrows, opposite Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht District, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 9-19 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Companies H and K, were ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Illinois to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, in the morning on 9 April, 1861, and arrived at Key West, Monroe County, Florida, in the morning on 17 April, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington). The transport steamer Illinois was ordered to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, the same day and arrived in the evening on 19 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Companies H and K, disembarked in the morning on 20 April, 1861.

Steamer Illinois: 2nd United States Artillery, Company H, Captain H A Allen; 2nd United States Artillery, Company K, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks (See the United States Army, Department of Washington)

General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Department of Florida, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 13 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery, was assigned to command of the Department of Florida by General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Department of Florida, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 13 April, 1861.

Sources

"Company G, of the First Artillery, Regular Army, under the command of Captain Seymour, also passed through. The command was originally from Fort Sumter."

The Baltimore Exchange, 10 July, 1861 - Passage of more Federal troops

Official Army Register for September 1861, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, 1 September, 1861

The history of the First regiment of artillery, from its organization in 1821, to 1st January, 1876, complied by Brevet Major William L Haskin, Captain 1st Artillery, to which is added a series of communications from officers, now or formerly of the regiment, giving their personal reminiscences of service with it

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866-67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U.S. Army

Notes

The 1st United States Artillery (46), Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant A J Slemmer, was stationed at Barrancas barracks, in the vicinity of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one and a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, on 9 January, 1861 (See the 11th Mississippi Infantry).

Note: First Lieutenant J Edwardså, Jr., 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, was on a leave of absence at Portland, Cumberland County, Maine, on 1 April, 1861.

Garrison at Barrancas barracks, in the vicinity of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one & a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 9 January, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, First Lieutenant A J Slemmer

Note: Captain J H Winder and Senior First Lieutenant A R Eddy, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, were on leave of absence on 9 January, 1861, and First Lieutenant A J Slemmer, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, between 10 January and 13 April, 1861. Captain J H Winder, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was appointed major, 3rd United States Artillery, and First Lieutenant T Seymour, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.8, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 November, 1860, dated 3 April, 1861. Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Major J H Winder, 3rd United States Artillery, resigned on 27 April, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain T W Sherman, 3rd United States Artillery, Light Company E, was appointed, major, 3rd United States Artillery, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861 (See the 3rd United States Artillery, Company E).

Barrancas barracks, in the vicinity of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one & a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 10 January, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to proceed by a large flatboat or scow and several small boats to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, at 8 AM on 10 January, 1861, and disembarked at 10 AM the same day.

Note: A detachment of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant A J Slemmer, was ordered to proceed by the storeship Supply to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, and a detachment, under the command of Second Lieutenant J H Gilman, to complete preparations for the evacuation of Barrancas Barracks, half a mile east of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one and a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, at 10 AM on 9 January, 1861. A detachment of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant A J Slemmer, was ordered to Barrancas Barracks, half a mile east of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one and a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, in the afternoon the same day.

Garrison at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 25 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery (80), Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery (40), Light Company G, First Lieutenant A J Slemmer; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company A, Captain W F Barry; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Company H, Brevet Colonel & Captain H Brooks; Captain H A Allen, 2nd United States Artillery (88), Company K; Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company M; 3rd United States Infantry (87), Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt; 3rd United States Infantry (90), Company E, Captain H B Clitz; United States Corps Engineers (60), Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane

Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 14-26 May, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Philadelphia to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 14 May, 1861, and arrived at Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, at 11 PM on 16 May, 1861. Light Company G was ordered to Key West, Monroe County, Florida, at 10 PM on 17 May, 1861, and arrived at 8 AM on 18 May, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 19 May, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 26 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was stationed in the vicinity of Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 2 June, 1861, and was assigned to garrison duty, under the command of Second Lieutenant J H Gilman, on 3 June, 1861. Second Lieutenant J H Gilman, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Company B, at Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht , Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 19 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant A J Slemmer, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was appointed major, 16th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and arrived at Washington, D. C., on 20 June, 1861.

Fort Hamilton, New Utrecht, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 8-9 July, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Captain T A Seymour, was ordered to Washington, D. C., on 8 July, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, on 9 July, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Maryland, between April and July 1861 and was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, in July 1861. He was appointed captain, 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 December, 1861, dated 23 July, 1861.

First United States Artillery, Light Company G, First Lieut. J Edwards, Jr.

A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant S N Benjamin, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company I, was stationed in the vicinity of the Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C., in the morning on 16 July, 1861.

Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 16 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at the Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C., at 4 PM the same day. The section of Light Company G was ordered to proceed by the Leesburg & Georgetown Turnpike to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 16 July, 1861, and arrived via Langley, Lewinsville, and Old Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 PM othe same day. The section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The section of Light Company G was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 July, 1861, and arrived three miles west of Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived on the road between Centreville and Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, one mile southwest of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 AM same day.

Note: Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, arrived at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM on 17 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, was ordered to proceed by the road between Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, and Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 11 AM and 4.30 PM the same day. The section of Light Company G was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evning on 18 July, 1861.

Note: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 19 July, 1861.

General Orders No.22, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel I B Richardson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, was assigned to the Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by General Orders No.22, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

East of the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, & Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was orderd east of the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., 3rd United States Artillery, Company B, was assigned to the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, in the evening on 20, July, 1861, and Captain T Seymour, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was stationed at Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861 (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M).

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 21 July, 1861, and was stationed one mile south of Centreville, east of the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day. The section of Light Company G was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 PM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 8 and 9 AM on 22 July, 1861.

Note: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of First Lieutenant J Edwards, Jr., was stationed in the vicinity of Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the toll gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 27 July, 1861.

First United States Artillery, Light Company G, Second Lieut. P C Hains

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to proceed by the old Fairfax Road to Accotink Creek or Pohick Run at 3 PM on 16 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 11th Massachusetts Infantry, Companies A and G, under the command of Captain J H Davis, Company B (See the 11th Massachusetts Infantry). The section of Light Company G arrived in the vicinity of Pohick Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Sangster's or W Elzey's, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM the same day. The section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, arrived at Sangster's or W Elzey's, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Sangster's Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The section of Light Company G arrived at Sangster's Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Little Rocky Run, one mile east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 18 July, 1861. The section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, arrived by the old Braddock Road in the vicinity of Little Rocky Run, north of the old Braddock Road, one mile southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 PM the same day.

Note: A section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, was assigned to Captain J H Carlise, 2nd United States Artillery, Company E, in the evening on 20 July, 1861.

Little Rocky Run, north of the old Braddock Road, one mile southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 5 AM the same day.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the section of the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and proceeded to Washington, D. C., at 5 PM the same day.

Note: A detachment of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry (30), Company I, under the command of First Lieutenant T Bishop, were assigned to a section of the 1st United States Artillery, Company G, under the command of Second Lieutenant P C Hains, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861 (See the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry).

First United States Artillery, Light Company G

West Point Military Academy, Orange County, New York, 6 May-24 June, 1861: Cadet S N Benjamin arrived at Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861, and was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company I, by General Orders No.21, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861. Cadet P C Hains arrived at Washington, D. C., on 24 June, 1861, and was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.41, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 July, 1861, on 24 June, 1861 (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 29 July, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, and the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, under the command of Captain C Griffin, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, were stationed at Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D).

Note: The 1st Massachusetts Infantry was stationed at Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 1st Massachusetts Infantry).

Statement of artillery, Brevet Major & Chief of Artillery H J Hunt, 29 July, 1861: Two 20 pounder Parrott rifles; Seventy-five men

Distribution of troops, 1 January, 1861: Company A, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimick, 2nd United States Artillery; Company B, Key West Barracks, on the west side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, Captain J M Brannan; Company C, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimick, 2nd United States Artillery; Company D, Baton Rouge Arsenal, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, under Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); Company E, Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, Major R Anderson, 1st United States Artillery (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania); Company F, Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; Light Company G, Barrancas Barracks, in the vicinity of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, one and a half miles east of Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, First Lieutenant A J Slemmer; Company H, Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, Major R Anderson, 1st United States Artillery (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania); Light Company I, Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Major H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company I); Light Company K, Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; Company L, Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; Company M, Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, Captain B H Hill

Organisation of 1st United States Artillery, 3 April, 1861: Colonel J Erving, Lieutenant Colonel J I Gardner, Majors R Anderson and E D Keyes; Company A, Captain I Vogdes; Company B, Captain J M Brannan; Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; Company D, Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin; Company E, Captain A Doubleday; Company F, Captain S Jones; Company G, Captain T Seymour; Company H, Captain M Knowlton; Company I, Captain J B Magruder; Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; Company L, Captain S K Dawson; Company M, Captain B H Hill

Special Orders No.55 3/4, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., 3 April, 1861: Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain J B Magruder, 1st United States Artillery, Company I, was assigned to command the troops temporarily stationed at Washington, D. C., by Special Orders No.55 3/4, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., on 3 April, 1861, and assumed command by Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Artillery Battalion, Washington, D. C., on 4 April, 1861.

Fort Pickens Relief expedition, Company A, 24 January-6 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: Captain I Vogdes, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was appointed major, 1st United States Artillery, by General Orders No.64, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, Company A, 24 January-6 February, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, under the command of Captain I Vogdes, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Brooklyn to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Commadore C H Poor, United States Navy, at 5 PM on 24 January, 1861, and arrived at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, in the morning on 31 January, 1861. Company A arrived at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 6 February, 1861, and Captain I Vogdes was assigned to command the troops stationed at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 6 February, 1861.

Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, Company A, 21 March & 12 April, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was assigned to the frigate Sabine in the vicinity of Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, on 21 March, 1861, and disembarked in the evening on 12 April, 1861.

Note: Detachments of the 1st United States Artillery, Company C (5); the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6); the 3rd United States Artillery, Companies F (6) and K (5); and the 4th United States Artillery, Companies D (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861, and Captain I Vogdes was appointed major, 1st United States Artillery, by General Orders No.64, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861,

Steamer Brooklyn: 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; four mountain howitzers and two 12 pounder field howitzers

First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A: First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was accompanied by a detachment of two hundred men of the 3rd New Jersey Militia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S Moore (See the 3rd New Jersey Militia). He arrived at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4.45 PM on 18 July, 1861, and was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 19 July, 1861. First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, arrived at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 AM the same day and was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 19 July, 1861. He arrived at Alexandria, Virginia at 6 AM on 20 July, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Cloud's Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 22 July, 1861. First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 4 AM the same day and arrived at 7.30 AM on 22 July, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was appointed captain and commissary of subsistence, United States Subsistence Department, by General Orders No.64, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 3 August, 1861.

Key West Barracks, Company B, 14 January, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery (44), Company B, under the command of Captain J M Brannan, was stationed at Key West Barracks, on the west side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 13 January, 1861.

Key West Barracks, on the west side of Key West, to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, Company B, 14 January, 1861, dated 4 January, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company B, under the command of Captain J M Brannan, was ordered to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 14 January, 1861, dated 4 January, 1861.

Note: Captain E B Hunt, United States Corps Engineers, was stationed at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 14 January, 1861 (See the United States Corps Engineers).

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: The steamer Daniel Webster arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 22 February, 1861, and a detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (62), Company B, F, and Light Company K, disembarked on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 14 April, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J M Brannan; 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, First Lieutenant S F Chalfin; 1st United States Infantry, Company A, Captain J N Caldwell; 1st United States Infantry, Company H, Captain S D Carpenter

Fort Monroe, Company C, 23 January, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company C, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: Detachments of the 1st United States Artillery, Company C (5), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 23 January, 1861.

Evaucation of Fort Duncan, Company F, 20 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was stationed at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 19 February, 1861.

Post Return of Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, 3 December, 1860; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (42), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (60), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (40), Company L, First Lieutenant J W Robinson

Note: First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, and First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Company K, were assigned to detached duty on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Eagle Pass, Maverick County, 19 February, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Note: Captain S Jones, 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was assigned a leave of absence on 24 May, 1858, and resigned at Washington, D. C., on 27 April, 1861, dated 22 April, 1861 (See the Battalion Heavy Artillery). First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Company F, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861.

Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Eagle Pass, Maverick County, to Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southwest of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 20 February-8 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was ordered to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, Light Company K, by Special Orders No.25, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at 3 PM on 20 February, 1861, dated 14 February, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K and Company L. Company F arrived at Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, on 28 February, 1861. and at Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 4 March, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was ordered to Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the morning on 5 March, 1861, and was stationed at La Blanca, Hidalgo County, Texas, at 1 PM on 6 March, 1861. Company F arrived at Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Post Return of First United States Battalion Artillery, Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, 28 February, 1861; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (65/72), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (81/86), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (78/83), Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Note: First Lieutenant W Jenkins, 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was on detached duty on 3 August, 1859, and Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Company L, at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 8 March, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company M, Captain B H Hill; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was ordered to Green Lake, Calhoun County, via San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, by Special Orders No.44, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Texas, to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, 10-11 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was ordered to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, on 10 March, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Companies F and M. Company F arrived at Camp Witherell, on the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 11 March, 1861.

Mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 19-25 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 19 March, 1861, and arrived at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861. Company F arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 19 March, 1861, in the morning on 25 March, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk: 1st United States Artillery, Companies F, L, M

Steamer Daniel Webster: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; First Lieutenant H W Closson, 1st United States Artillery, Company F; First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; Second Lieutenant W M Graham, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant G D Baily, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M; Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Second Lieutenant A N Shipley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies L and M, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Company F and Light Company K, at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 25 March, 1861.

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: The steamer Daniel Webster arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 22 February, 1861, and a detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (62), Company B, F, and Light Company K, disembarked on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 14 April, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J M Brannan; 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, First Lieutenant S F Chalfin; 1st United States Infantry, Company A, Captain J N Caldwell; 1st United States Infantry, Company H, Captain S D Carpenter

Evaucation of Fort Duncan, Light Company K, 20 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, was stationed at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 19 February, 1861.

Post Return of Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, 3 December, 1860; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (42), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (60), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (40), Company L, First Lieutenant J W Robinson

Note: First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, and First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Company K, were assigned to detached duty on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, 19 February, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, to Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 20 February-8 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was ordered to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, Light Company K, by Special Orders No.25, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at 3 PM on 20 February, 1861, dated 14 February, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Companies F and L. Light Company K arrived at Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, on 28 February, 1861, and at Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 4 March, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was ordered to Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the morning on 5 March, 1861, and was stationed at La Blanca, Hidalgo County, Texas, at 1 PM on 6 March, 1861. Light Company K arrived at Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Post Return of First United States Battalion Artillery, Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, 28 February, 1861; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (65/72), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (81/86), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (78/83), Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Note: Second Lieutenant F L Childs, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was assigned a leave of absence on 14 February, 1861, and resigned on 4 March, 1861. First Lieutenant J E Slaughter, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was on sick leave on 28 February, 1861, and, having left his regiment without authority, was dismissed by General Orders, No.44, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 14 May, 1861. Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Company L, at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 8 March, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M, Captain B H Hill; 2nd United States Artillery, Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was ordered to Green Lake, Calhoun County, via San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, by Special Orders No.44, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Texas, to the mouth of the Rio Grander River, 11 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Matamoros to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, in the morning on 11 March, 1861, and arrived at Camp Witherell, on the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, the same day.

Mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 19-24 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Daniel Webster to Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, on 19 March, 1861, and arrived at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861. Light Company K arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, in the afternoon on 24 March, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk: 1st United States Artillery, Companies F, L, M

Steamer Daniel Webster: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz; , 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; First Lieutenant H W Closson, 1st United States Artillery, Company F; First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; Second Lieutenant W M Graham, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant G D Baily, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M; Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Second Lieutenant A N Shipley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies L and M, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Company F and Light Company K, at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 25 March, 1861.

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: The steamer Daniel Webster arrived at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 22 February, 1861, and a detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (62), Company B, F, and Light Company K, disembarked on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, 14 April, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J M Brannan; 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, First Lieutenant S F Chalfin; 1st United States Infantry, Company A, Captain J N Caldwell; 1st United States Infantry, Company H, Captain S D Carpenter

Evaucation of Fort Duncan, Company L, 20 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, was stationed at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 19 February, 1861.

Post Return of Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, 3 December, 1860; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (42), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (60), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (40), Company L, First Lieutenant J W Robinson

Note: First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, and First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Company K, were assigned to detached duty on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, 19 February, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Note: Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was assigned a leave of absence by Special Orders No.4, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 30 April, 1860, dated 2 May, 1860, and arrived by the steamer Daniel Webster at Fort Taylor, on the east side Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861. He was stationed at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861.

Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, to Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 20 February-8 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was ordered to the mouth of the Rio Grande, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, Light Company K, by Special Orders No.25, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at 3 PM on 20 February, 1861, dated 14 February, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Company F and Light Company K. Company L arrived at Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, on 28 February, 1861, and at Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 4 March, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was ordered to Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the morning on 5 March, 1861, and was stationed at La Blanca, Hidalgo County, Texas, at 1 PM on 6 March, 1861. Company L arrived at Fort Brown, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Post Return of First United States Battalion Artillery, Aguilares, Webb County, Texas, 28 February, 1861; Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (65/72), Light Company F, First Lieutenant H W Closson; 1st United States Artillery (81/86), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery (78/83), Company L, Second Lieutenant R H Jackson

Note: First Lieutenant W Silvey, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was assigned to detached duty on 22 August, 1854, and Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was assigned to command the 1st United States Artillery, Company L, at Fort Duncan, Artillery School of Practice, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, on 14 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 8 March, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company M, Captain B H Hill; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was ordered to Green Lake, Calhoun County, via San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, by Special Orders No.44, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Texas, to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, 10-11 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was ordered to the mouth of the Rio grande River, on 10 March, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Companies F and M. Company L arrived at Camp Witherell, on the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 11 March, 1861.

Mouth of the Rio grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, 19-24 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company L, was ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 19 March, 1861, and arrived on 24 March, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk: 1st United States Artillery, Companies F, L, M

Steamer Daniel Webster: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz; , 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; First Lieutenant H W Closson, 1st United States Artillery, Company F; First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; Second Lieutenant W M Graham, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant G D Baily, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M; Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Second Lieutenant A N Shipley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies L and M, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 24 March, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Company F and Light Company K, at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 25 March, 1861.

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits & 2nd United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: A detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (11), Companies L and M, and the 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, 25 March, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, 2nd United States Artillery, Company C; 1st United States Artillery, Company L, Captain S K Dawson; 1st United States Artillery, Company M, First Lieutenant O L Morris; 2nd United States Artillery, Company C

Evaucation of Fort Brown, Company M, 20 February, 1861

The 1st United States Artillery, Company M, under the command of Captain B H Hill, was stationed at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 19 February, 1861,

Garrison at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 8 March, 1861: 1st United States Artillery, Company M, Captain B H Hill; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Special Orders No.44, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 8 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company M, was ordered to Green Lake, Calhoun County, via San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, by Special Orders No.44, Headquarters, Department of Texas, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 8 March, 1861.

Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Texas, to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, 10-11 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company M, was ordered to the mouth of the Rio Grande River, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, Light Company K, on 10 March, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st United States Artillery, Companies F and L; the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; and the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M. Company M, arrived at Camp Witherell, on the mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, on 11 March, 1861.

Mouth of the Rio Grande River, two miles west of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Cameron County, Texas, to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, 19-24 March, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company M, was ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain W H French, 1st United States Artillery, Company K, on 19 March, 1861, and arrived on 24 March, 1861.

Note: Captain B H Hill, 1st United States Artillery, Company M, was assigned a leave of absence on 19 March, 1861, and was stationed at St Louis Hotel, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 29 March, 1861. First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Company C, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 21 April, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk: 1st United States Artillery, Companies F, K, L

Steamer Daniel Webster: 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, First Lieutenant E R Platt; 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Captain W B Johns; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K, Brevet Major & Captain W H French; First Lieutenant H W Closson, 1st United States Artillery, Company F; First Lieutenant S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company K; First Lieutenant J W Robinson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; First Lieutenant O L Morris, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant R H Jackson, 1st United States Artillery, Company L; Second Lieutenant W M Graham, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; Second Lieutenant G D Baily, 1st United States Artillery, Light Company M; Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Second Lieutenant A N Shipley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies L and M, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 and 24 March, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Company F and Light Company K, at Fort Taylor, on the east side of Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 25 March, 1861.

Troops stationed on the steamer Daniel Webster, in the vicinity of Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, 15 February, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army; Captain W L Smith, United States Topographical Engineers; Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, Company M; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (40), Company B; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (16), Company F; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (6), Light Company K; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (3), Company L; 1st United States Artillery Recruits (8), Company M; 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C

Note: The steamer Daniel Webster was chartered by Brevet Major & Captain F J Porter, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, on 11 February, 1861, was ordered to proceed by the East River at the pier in the vicinity of Eleventh Street, New York City, New York, to Governor's Island, west of Buttermilk Channel, New York Harbour, opposite Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, at 11 AM on 15 February, 1861. A detachment of United States Artillery Recruits (92), under the command of Captain S K Dawson, 1st United States Artillery, stationed on the steamer Pope Catlin embarked on the steamer Daniel Webster at 12 PM the same day.

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, detachment of 1st United States Artillery Recruits & 2nd United States Artillery Recruits, 22 & 23 February, 1861: A detachment of the 1st United States Artillery Recruits (11), Companies L and M, and the 2nd United States Artillery Recruits (19), Company C, disembarked at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, on 23 February, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, 25 March, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, 2nd United States Artillery, Company C; 1st United States Artillery, Company L, Captain S K Dawson; 1st United States Artillery, Company M, First Lieutenant O L Morris; 2nd United States Artillery, Company C

Colonel W B Franklin, 12th United States Infantry, First Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army: Captain W B Franklin, United States Topographical Engineers, was stationed at Albany, Albany County, New York, on 1 June, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 12th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel W B Franklin, 12th United States Infantry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, Third Division, McDowell's Army: Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, was ordered to Washington, D. C., by General Orders No.12, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 27 April, 1861, and proceeded by the New Jersey Railroad in the morning on 3 May, 1861. He arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, in the morning on 4 May, 1861, and was appointed acting inspector general, Department of Washington, by Special Orders No.20, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 8 May, 1861. Acting Inspector General & Major S P Heintzelman was assigned to command the the 8th New York State Militia, the 12th New York State Militia, and the 25th New York State Militia by General Orders No.1, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Notheastern Virginia, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 17th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, was assigned to Colonel I B Richardson's brigade, Division of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.30: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp381-382
First Lieutenant J Edwards, Third United States Artillery, dated in the vicinity of Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the toll gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 27 July 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.28: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp373-377
Colonel I B Richardson, Second Michigan Infantry, Fourth Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'New York's Bravest', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.