The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Army of Pennsylvania

Fifth Brigade, Second Division

Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvannia Volunteers

Fourteenth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J W Johnston

The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 2 May, 1861.

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 22, 24, 26, 27, & 30 April & 2 May, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company F, was mustered in United States service for three months at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 22 April, 1861; Companies E, H, and K on 24 April, 1861; Companies C and D on 26 April, 1861; Companies A and G on 27 April, 1861; Company B on 30 April, 1861; and Company I on 2 May, 1861.

Organisation of 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, 2 May, 1861: Colonel J W Johnston, Lieutenant Colonel R M McMichael, Major C N Watts; Company A, Captain D A Griffiths; Company B, Captain W H Jennings; Company C, Captain O Ephlin; Company D, Captain J Crowther; Company E, Captain J C Shearer; Company F, Captain S S Marchand; Company G, Captain J B Keenan; Company H, Captain T Holland; Company I, Captain A Bobb; Company K, Captain C Snyder

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel R A Oakford, 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, on 6 May, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 9 May, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Johnston (formerly known as Camp Dennison), Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3.30 PM the same day (See the 1st Ohio Infantry).

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Johnston, the Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 17 May, 1861.

Lancaster, Lancaster County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 3 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 3 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad in the evening the same day.

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Patterson, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Pragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Negley, on the Greencastle & Willaimsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 PM the same day.

Greencastle & Willaimsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown, to Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, 20 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.77, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Newton, two miles west of Bakersville, near Mercerville, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 June, 1861.

Two miles west of Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Hedgesville & Potomac Graded Road to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the regiment was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 25 July, 1861, and arrived on 26 July, 1861. The regiment arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 27 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 7 August, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 7 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 22 April-2 May, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861

Fifteenth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. R A Oakford

The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 1 May, 1861.

Note: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20, 22, 23, 24, 26, & 27 April & 1 May, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I, was mustered in United States service for three months at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 20 April, 1861; Company D on 22 April, 1861; Companies B and H on 23 April, 1861; Company K on 24 April, 1861; Company A on 26 April, 1861; Company C on 27 April, 1861; and Company E on 1 May, 1861.

Organisation of 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, 1 May, 1861: Colonel R A Oakford, Lieutenant Colonel T Biddle, Major S N Bradford; Company A, Captain J Bradley; Company B, Captain A Brown; Company C, Captain C Robinson; Company D, Captain S Struner; Company E, Captain J Nevin; Company F, Captain J K Waltman; Company G, Captain T Magovern; Company H, Captain J Johnston; Company I, Captain F W Hess; Company K, Captain J A Congdon

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel R A Oakford, 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, on 6 May, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 9 May, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by and the 14th Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Johnston (formerly known as Camp Dennison), Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3.30 PM the same day (See the 1st Ohio Infantry).

Note: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Johnston, the Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 17 May, 1861.

Lancaster, Lancaster County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 3 June, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 3 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad in the evening the same day.

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Patterson, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Pragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Negley, on the Greencastle & Willaimsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 PM the same day.

Greencastle & Willaimsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown to Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, 20 June, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.77, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Newton, two miles west of Bakersville, near Mercerville, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 June, 1861.

Two miles west of Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Hedgesville & Potomac Graded Road to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Note: A detachment of forty-six men of the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I, were captured by the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, during a skirmish between Falling Waters and Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning the same day (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the regiment was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia the same day.

Note: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 25 July, 1861, and arrived on 26 July, 1861. The regiment arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 27 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 8 August, 1861: The 15th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 8 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 20 April-1 May, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861

Twenty-fourth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J T Owen

The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry (formerly 2nd Pennsylvania Militia Infantry, Second Brigade, First Division, Pennsylvania Militia) was accepted in state service at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 15 April, 1861, and was stationed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 1 May, 1861.

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1 May, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Captain T H Neil, 5th United States Infantry, Company C, on 1 May, 1861.

Organisation of 24th Pennsylvania Infantry, 1 May, 1861: Colonel J T Owen, Lieutenant Colonel D Heenan, Major D O'Kane; Company A, Captain J Duffy; Company B, Captain J McGough; Company C, Captain J O'Reilly; Company D, Captain P O'Conner; Company E, Captain P O Murphy; Company F, Captain H Rodgers; Company G, Captain G Cromley; Company H, Captain T A Smyth; Company I, Captain T Kelly; Company K, Captain A McManus

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Hestonville, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 24 May, 1861, and the 20th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Suffolk Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 25 May, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 29-30 May, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarers, Department of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 29 May, 1861, dated 28 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Chambers, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 30 May, 1861.

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Brady, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 14 June, 1861 (See the Second Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Cameron, three and a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph V, Headquarters Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, to Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, 21 June, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Newton, two miles west of Bakersville, near Mercerville, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 June, 1861.

Two miles west of Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Hedgesville & Potomac Graded Road to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evneing the smae day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 10 August, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 10 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 7 May, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 31 May, 1861

Attached

Ninth New York State Militia Infantry, Company K (Sixth New York Independent Light Artillery)

Capt. T B Bunting

The 9th New York State Militia Infantry, Company K, was called into the service of the United States for the term of the war by President A Lincoln on 27 May, 1861, and was accepted in state service with forty-two men of the Rahway Light Artillery (New Jersey) at Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, on 15 June, 1861. The company arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 9 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, on 10 July, 1861 (See the Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Sources

"Company G, of the First Artillery, Regular Army, under the command of Captain Seymour, also passed through. The command was originally from Fort Sumter."

The Baltimore Exchange, 10 July, 1861 - Passage of more Federal troops

New York in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865, Volume 4, by Frederick Phisterer

Reminiscences of the war, or, incidents which transpired in and about Chambersburg, during the War of the Rebellion, by J Hoke

A narrative of the campaign in the Valley of the Shenandoah in 1861, by Robert Patterson

History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, prepared in complience with acts of the legislation, Volume 1, by Samuel P Bates

Notes

The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Chambers, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 30 May, 1861, and the 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and 15th Pennsylvania Infantry at Camp Patterson, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Wisconsin Infantry arrived at Camp Chambers, near C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 12 June, 1861, and the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry on 13 June, 1861.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 11 June, 1861: Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvannia Volunteers; 11th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel P Jarrett; 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J W Johnston; 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R A Oakford; 1st Wisconsin Infantry, Colonel J C Starkweather

Note: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Pragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861, and the 1st Wisconsin Infantry and the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry by Special Orders No.68, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 11 June, 1861.

C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 14th Pennsylvania Infantry & 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, 15 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Negley, on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st Wisconsin Infantry, the 4th Connecticut Infantry, and the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Negley, on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 PM the same day. The 1st Wisconsin Infantry, the 4th Connecticut Infantry, and the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry were assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 20 June, 1861: Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvannia Volunteers; 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J W Johnston; 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R A Oakford; 24th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J T Owen

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph V, Headquarters Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, one mile southwest of Hagerstown to Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, 14th Pennsylvania Infantry & 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 June, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening on 20 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, to Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, 24th Pennsylvania Infantry, 21 June, 1861: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was stationed at Camp Newton, two miles west of Bakersville, near Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 June, 1861, and Brigadier General W H Keim, Pennsylvania Volunteers, set up the headquarters of the Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Fairplay, three miles east of Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, between 28 June and 2 July, 1861.

Two miles west of Bakersville, near Mercerville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM on the same day. The Fifth Brigade arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Note: A section of the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, and one 6 pounder smoothbore and one 12 pounder howizter, was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, on 2 July, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Two miles west of Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The Fifth Brigade was ordered to proceed by the Hedgesville & Potomac Graded Road to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: Captain J H Simpson, United States Corps Topographical Engineers, was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, on 2 July, 1861, and a detachment of forty-six men of the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I, were captured by the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, during a skirmish between Falling Waters and Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning the same day (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 10 July, 1861: Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvannia Volunteers; 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J W Johnston; 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R A Qoakford; 9th New York State Militia Infantry, Company K, Captain T B Bunting

Note: The 9th New York State Militia Infantry, Company K, arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 9 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the Fifth Brigade was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The Fifth Brigade was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 9th New York State Militia, Company K, were ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvnia Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 27 July, 1861.

Army of the Shenandoah

Major General N P Banks, United States Volunteers, was assigned to command the Army of the Pennsylvania, Headquarters in the field, by General Orders No.46, Paragraph II, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, and arrived by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861. He assumed command of the Department of the Shenadoah at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Note: Major General J A Dix, United States Volunteers, was assigned to command the Department of Maryland, Headquarters at Baltimore City, Maryland, and the Department of Pennsylvania was renamed the Department of the Shenandoah by General Orders No.46, Paragraph II, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861 (See the Departments of Maryland and Annapolis).

General Orders No.47, Paragragh I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., 25 July, 1861: The counties of Washington and Allegheny in Maryland and such other parts of Virginia as may be covered by the Army in its operations were added to the Department of the Shenandoah; the counties of Pronce George, Montgomery, and Frederick were added to the Department of Washington; the remainder of Maryland and all Pennsylvania and Delaware constituted the Department of Pennsylvania, Headquarters at Baltimore City, Maryland; and the Department of Washington and the Department of Northeastern Virginia, constituted a geographical Division, Headquarters Washington, D. C., by General Orders No.47, Paragragh I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 25 July, 1861.

Note; The Army of the Shenadoah was organised by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 14th Pennsylvania Infantry & 15th Pennsylvania Infantry, 25-26 July, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 25 July, 1861, and arrived on 26 July, 1861.

Note: The 9th New York State Militia Infantry, Company K, was assigned to the Seventh Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861 (See the Seventh Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Mustered out, Carlisle, Cumberland County, & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 7, 8, & 10 August, 1861: The 14th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry were mustered out at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 7 August, 1861, and the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 9 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.5: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp181-182
Brigadier General W H Keim, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, dated Camp Brown, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861