The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Army of Pennsylvania

Second Brigade, Second Division

Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvannia Volunteers

First Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. S Yohe

The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was organised at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 18 & 20 April, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies E and H, were mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 18 April, 1861, and Companies A, B, C, D, F, G, I, and K on 20 April, 1861.

Organisation of 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 April, 1861: Colonel S Yohe, Lieutenant Colonel T H Good, Major T W Lynn; Company A, Washington Greys, Captain J L Selfridge; Company B, Citizen Artillery, Captain J Dachradt; Company C, Easton Invincibles, Captain W H Armstrong; Company D, Scotts Guards, Captain C H Heckman; Company E, Cameron Guards, Captain J M Eyster; Company F, Lancaster Fencibles, Captain E Franklin; Company G, Reading Artillery, Captain G W Alexander; Company H, Captain F W Ball; Company I, Union Rifles, Captain W H Ga(u)nsler; Company K, Jackson Rifles, Captain H A Hambright

Note: G C Wynkoop was appointed brigadier general, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, and 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, 20-21 April, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered by proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at 8 PM on 20 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, at 10 AM on 21 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Carrol, between the Northern Central Railroad and York Road, half a mile north of Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, between 21 and 23 April, 1861.

Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 23 April, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 1.30 AM on 23 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Scott, the York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the intersection of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861.

York, York County, Pennsylvania, to Northern Central Railroad, between Melvale & Parkton, Baltimore County, Maryland, 14-15 May, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Melvale, Relay House, Cockeysville, Monkton, Whitehall, and Parkton, Baltimore County, Maryland, at 8 PM on 14 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Doylestown Guards (See the 25th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard duty at the bridges on the Northern Central Railroad between Melvale and Parkton, Baltimore County, Maryland, in the evening on 14 May, 1861.

Distribution of 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, Northern Central Railroad, between Melvale & Parkton, Baltimore County, Maryland, 15-26 May, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Melvale, Relay House, Cockeysville, Monkton, Whitehall, and Parkton, Baltimore County, Maryland, between 15 and 26 May, 1861.

Note: The Colonel S Yohe, 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, set up headquarters at Denmead's Distillery, in the vicinity of Melvale, Baltimore County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 May, 1861, and the 12th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard the Northern Central Railroad between Pennsylvania and Baltimore City, Maryland, between 25 May and 4 August, 1861 (See the Three months' Volunteers, Department of Annapolis and Maryland).

Northern Central Railroad, between Melvale & Parkton, to Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland, 26 May, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland, on 25 May, 1861, and was assigned to guard duty on the Frederick and old Frederick Roads to Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, and Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 26 May and 2 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A, B, C, and D, were stationed at Relay House, Baltimore County, Maryland, on 25 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central railroad to Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland, on 26 May, 1861. Companies A, B, C, and D arrived at Bolton Street Station, on Bolton Street, Baltimore City, Maryland, at 4 PM the same day.

Baltimore City, Maryland, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 2-3 June, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM on 2 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad in the evening on 3 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 12 AM on 2 June, 1861, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 14 June, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Chambers, in the vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 14 June, 1861.

Vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Cameron, three and a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed one mile beyond Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, and on Antietam Creek between 15 and 21 June, 1861.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, Washington County, to Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, 21-22 June, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.78, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 PM on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Yohe, the Frederick County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, in the morning on 22 June, 1861.

Frederick County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Frederick City, Frederick County, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 5-7 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 5 July, 1861, and arrived at G Scott Kennedy's Farm, six miles northwest of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening the same day. The regiment arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 6 July, 1861, and was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, in the vicinity of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day. The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry arrived by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 6 July, 1861, and was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 7 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.91, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 16-17 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 7th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company F (See the Third Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania). The regiment arrived at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861,

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard two hundred wagons between Martinsburg, Berkeley County, and Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 16 and 17 July, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 23-25 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 23 July, 1861, and arrived by the Northern Central Railroad via Baltimore City, Maryland, on 25 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 27 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 27 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 18-20 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 3 June, 1861

Second Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. F S Stumbaugh

The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was organisedd at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20 April, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: Captain T Welsh, Shawnee Guards, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Organisation of 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 April, 1861: Colonel F S Stumbaugh, Lieutenant Colonel T Welsh, Major J S Givens; Company A, Chambers Artillery, 1st Company, Captain P B Housum; Company B, Chambers Artillery, 2nd Company, Captain J Doeb(f)ler; Company C, Union Artillery, Captain J G Elder; Company D, Independent Infantry, Captain H D Woodruff; Company E, Independent Blues, Captain C H Buehler; Company F, Captain E Y Rambo; Company G, West Chester Rifles, Captain B H Sweeney; Company H, Bellefonte Fencibles, Captain J B Mitchell; Company I, State Capital Guards, Captain W B Sipes; Company K, York Rifles, Captain G Hay

Note: G C Wynkoop was appointed brigadier general, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, and 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry at at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, 20-21 April, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered by proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at 8 PM on 20 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, at 10 AM on 21 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Carrol, between the Northern Central Railroad and York Road, half a mile north of Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, between 21 and 23 April, 1861.

Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 23 April, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 1.30 AM on 23 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Scott, the York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the intersection of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861.

York, York County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 27-28 May, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 27 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 28 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and six companies of the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 28 May, 1861.

Chambersburg to the vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1 June, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Chambers, in the vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Cameron, three and a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, in the vicinity of Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed on Antietam Creek, one mile south of Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, between 15 and 23 June, 1861.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown to the vicinity of Bakersville & Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, 23 June, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 23 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived in the vicinity of Bakersville and Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Vicinity of Bakersville & Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, in the vicinity of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20-21 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the morning on 20 July, 1861, and arrived by the Northern Central Railroad via Baltimore City, Maryland, at 8 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 26 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 26 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 20 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 28 May, 1861

Third Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. F P MINIER

The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was organised at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20 April, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The Johnstown Zouaves was accepted in state service at Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Captain J M Power, on 15 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 17 April, 1861. Captain J M Power and First Lieutenant J P Suter, Johnstown Zouaves, were appointed lieutenant colonel, 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, and captain, 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Company K, at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Organisation of 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 April, 1861: Colonel F P Minier, Lieutenant Colonel J M Power, Major O M Irvine; Company A, Hollidaysburg Fencibles, Captain J R McFarlane; Company B, Captain H Wayne; Company C, Wayne Guards, Captain W L Neff; Company D, Tyrone Artillery, Captain J Bell; Company E, Logan Rifles Rangers, Captain J Szink; Company F, Citizen Guards, Captain J P Linton; Company G, Johnstown Infantry, Captain T H Lapsley; Company H, Juniata Rifles, Captain A M Lloyd; Company I, Negley Zouaves, Captain J J Lawson; Company K, Johnstown Zouaves, Captain J P Suter

Note: G C Wynkoop was appointed brigadier general, Volunteers, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, and 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, 20-21 April, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered by proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at 8 PM on 20 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry and the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, at 10 AM on 21 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Carrol, between the Northern Central Railroad and York Road, half a mile north of Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, between 21 and 23 April, 1861.

Cockeysville, Baltimore County, Maryland, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 23 April, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 1.30 AM on 23 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry and the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Scott, the York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the intersection of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861.

York, York County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 27-28 May, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 27 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 28 May, 1861.

Note: Six companies of the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 28 May, 1861, and four companies in the afternoon the same day. The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies D and E, were stationed at the Courthouse, on Market Street, and Company H at the German Reformed Parsonage, on the corner of Front and German Streets, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 31 May, 1861.

Chambersburg to C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1 June, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Chambers, in the vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861.

Note: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Cameron, three and a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, in the vicinity of Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed one mile beyond Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, and on Antietam Creek between 15 and 23 June, 1861.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, to the vicinity of Bakersville & Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, 23 June, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 23 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived in the vicinity of Bakersville and Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, same day.

Vicinity of Bakersville & Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, in the vicinity of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Note: A detachment of the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry and five prisioners were ordered to Fort Delaware, Pea Patch Island, New Castle County, Delaware, in the evening on 12 July, 1861.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 16-26 July, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard duty at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 16 and 26 July, 1861.

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 26-27 July, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 26 July, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 27 July, 1861.

Note: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 29 July, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 29 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 20 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 28 May, 1861

Twenty-fourth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J T Owen

The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 31 May, 1861, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861. The regiment was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown Turnpike, near Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, on 21 June, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).
Mustered in United States service for three months on 7 May, 1861, and arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 31 May, 1861

Sources

Reminiscences of the war, or, incidents which transpired in and about Chambersburg, during the War of the Rebellion, by J Hoke

A narrative of the campaign in the Valley of the Shenandoah in 1861, by Robert Patterson

History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, prepared in complience with acts of the legislation, Volume 1, by Samuel P Bates

Notes

The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Chambers, in the vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 30 May, 1861; the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry on 1 June, 1861; and the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry on 3 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry were assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Vicinity of C Bitner's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, three miles south of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The Second Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Valley Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Cameron, three and a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, in the vicinity of Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 24th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, at Camp Porter, on the Hagerstown & Williamsport Turnpike, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown, Washington County, to Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, 21-22 June, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, in the evening on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at the Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, on 22 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed one mile beyond Funkstown, Washington County, Maryland, and on Antietam Creek between 15 and 21 June, 1861, and the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry between 15 and 23 June, 1861.

Three & a half miles southeast of Hagerstown, near Funkstown to the vicinity of Bakersville & Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry & 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 23 June, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Hagerstown Turnpike to Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 23 June, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bakersville and Mercersville, Washington County, Maryland, same day.

Note: Brigadier General W H Keim, Pennsylvania Volunteers, set up the headquarters of the Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Fairplay, three miles east of Bakersville, Washington County, Maryland, between 28 June and 2 July, 1861.

Wiliamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry & 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 2-3 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, in the vicinity of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Frederick City, Frederick County, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, 5-7 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 5 July, 1861, and arrived by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, via Boonsboro and Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 7 July, 1861.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, 15-17 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia in the evening the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 16 July, 1861: The 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 7th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company F (See the Third Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania). The regiment arrived at Charlestown via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 15 July, 1861, and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard duty at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 16 and 26 July, 1861.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 1st Pennsylvania Infantry & 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry, 21 & 23 July, 1861: The 1st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861, and the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry on 23 July, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 and 26 July, 1861, respectively, dated 19 July, 1861, and the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry via Sandy Hook, Washington County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 26, 27, & 29 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 26 July, 1861; the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry on 27 July, 1861; and the 3rd Pennsylvania Infantry on 29 July, 1861.

Note: Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvnia Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 27 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.5: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp181-182
Brigadier General W H Keim, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, dated Camp Brown, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861