The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Army of Pennsylvania

Fourth Brigade, First Division

Colonel D S Miles, Second United States Infantry

Ninth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. H C Longnecker

The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service for three months at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 6 June, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Mustered for three months, Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 22, 23, & 24 April, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies B, E, F, and I, were mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 22 April, 1861; Companies C and K on 23 April, 1861; and Companies A, D, G, and H on 24 April, 1861.

Organisation of Third Regiment, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia: Colonel J Jennings, Lieutenant Colonel L Herwig, Major (?) Siegfrid; Marion Rifles, Captain J K Siegfrid; Keystone Rifles, Captain R Matthews; Wynkoop Artillery, Captain W Wynlack; Wetherill Rifles, Captain C Krebs; German Rifles, Captain J Schram

Organisation of 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, 24 April, 1861: Colonel H C Longnecker, Lieutenant Colonel W H H Hangen, Major C Glantz; Company A, National Guards, 1st Company, Captain H R Guss; Company B, Brady Alpines, Captain W Sirwell; Company C, Sumner Rifles, Captain C Kuhn(s); Company D, Allentown and Catasaqua Rifles, Captain G D Hand; Company E, National Guards, Second Company, Captain J F Andress; Company F, National Guards, Third Company, Captain S Huffty, Jr.; Company G, Easton Yaegers, Captain R A Graeffe; Company H, Wetherill Rifles, Third Regiment, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia, Captain E Farne; Company I, Union Blues, Captain H B Edwards; Company K, Keystone Rifles, Captain M Byrnes

Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 3 & 4 May, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, in the afternoon on 3 May, 1861, and arrived by the West Chester Branch, Pennsylvania Railroad, at West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, at 9 PM the same day. The regiment arrived at Camp Wayne, old Chester County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of West Chester Courthouse, on High Street, West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, on 4 May, 1861.

Note: Camp Wayne was set up at the old Chester County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of West Chester Courthouse, on High Street, West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, on 2 May, 1861, and the 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies B and D, were stationed at Horticultural Hall, on North High Street; Company I at the Pennsylvania Railroad Station, on Market Street; and Companies C and K at West Chester Court House, on High Street, West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 3 May, 1861.

Camp Wayne, old Chester County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of West Chester Courthouse, on High Street, West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, to Hares Corner, New Castle County, Delaware, 26 May, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the West Chester & Philadelphia Railroad to Hares Corner, New Castle County, Delaware, in the morning on 26 May, 1861.

Note: Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command Camp Wayne, old Agricultural Fairgrounds, south of West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, between 4 and 26 May, 1861.

Department of Pennsylvania, 7 June-22 July, 1861

The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Hares Corner, New Castle County, Delaware, between 26 May and 7 June, 1861.

Hares Corner, New Castle County, Delaware, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 6-7 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the afternoon on 6 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 6 AM on 7 June, 1861.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, to Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 13 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 16 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861.

Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and Senior Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry and 16th Pennsylvania Infantry at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861, and were assigned to build earthworks on the bluffs west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, under the supervision of Captain J Newton and Second Lieutenant O E Babcock, United States Corps Engineers, on 22 June, 1861.

Camp Potomac, on the Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles southeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 22-24 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 22 July, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 24 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 29 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 29 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 22, 23, & 24 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861

Thirteenth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. T A Rowley

The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service for three months at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 4 June, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Mustered for three months, Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 24, 25, & 26 April, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company I, was mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 24 April, 1861; and Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H on 25 April, 1861; Company K on 26 April, 1861.

Note: Captain T A Rowley, Washington Infantry, was appointed colonel, 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, at Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 25 April, 1861.

Organisation of 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, 26 April, 1861: Colonel T A Rowley, Lieutenant Colonel J N Purviance, Major W S Mellinger; Company A, Washington Infantry, Captain D B Morris; Company B, Union Cadets, Captain J W Patterson; Company C, Negley Cadets, Captain J Brown(e); Company D, Washington Infantry, Captain W Mays; Company E, Fort Pitt Guards, Captain W A Charl(e)ton; Company F, Washington Infantry, Captain J B McFarland; Company G, Taylor Guards, Captain J H Filler; Company H, Captain A Gillespie; Company I, Shields Guards, Captain W C Gallagher; Company K, Duquesne Greys, Captain J Poland

Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 26 April, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to York, York County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 26 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 12th Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General J S Negley, Pennsylvania Volunteers, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Department of Pennsylvania, 4 June-22 July, 1861

The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, between 26 April and 4 June, 1861.

Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King & Queens Streets, York, York County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 13 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 16 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861.

Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and Senior Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry and 16th Pennsylvania Infantry at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861, and were assigned to build earthworks on the bluffs west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, under the supervision of Captain J Newton and Second Lieutenant O E Babcock, United States Corps Engineers, on 22 June, 1861.

Garrison at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 2-4 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 2 and 4 July, 1861 (See the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 4 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 4 July, 1861, and was accompanied the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 22-28 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 22 July, 1861, and arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, in the afternoon on 28 July, 1861.

Note: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 25 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 6 August, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 6 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 24, 25, & 26 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 4 June, 1861

Sixteenth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. T A Ziegle

The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service at York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 8 June, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Note: The German Light Infantry, the Jackson Guards, the Wynkoop Artillery, the Union Guards, and the Schuylkill Guards were stationed at Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 2 May, 1861.

Organisation of Second Regiment, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia: Colonel J G Higgins, Lieutenant Colonel J M Reinhart, Major J Horn; Cavalry, M P Fowler; Scott Rifles, Captain W B Lebo; German Light Infantry, Captain P Guenther; Port Clinton Artillery, Captain D B Kauffman; Jackson Guards, Captain J Reilley

Mustered for three months, Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, & 30 April, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A and C, were mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 20 April, 1861; Company K on 23 April, 1861; Companies F, G, and H on 25 April, 1861; Companies D and I on 26 April, 1861; Company E on 27 April, 1861; and Company B on 30 April, 1861.

Note: Captains T A Ziegle, G J Higgins, and F T Bennetts, Worth Infantry, Jackson Guards, and Schuylkill Guards, respectively, were appointed colonel, lieutenant colonel, and major, 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, on 3 May, 1861.

Camp Curtin, Dauphin County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 2 May, 1861: The German Light Infantry, the Jackson Guards, the Wynkoop Artillery, the Union Guards, the Doylestown Guards, and the Schuylkill Guards were ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 2 May, 1861.

Note: The Doylestown Guards, under the command of Captain W W H Davis, was assigned to the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry on 3 May, 1861 (See the 25th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Organisation of 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, 11 May, 1861: Colonel T A Ziegle, Lieutenant Colonel G J Higgins, Major F T Bennett; Company A, Worth Infantry, Captain J Hays; Company B, German Light Infantry, Second Regiment, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia, Captain P G(u)enther; Company C, Captain J Dorsheimer; Company D, Jackson Guards, Second Regiment, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia, Captain C Boyle; Company E, Wynkoop Artillery, Captain W Winlack; Company F, Marion Rifles, Captain H G Myers; Company G, Hanover Infantry, Captain C Diller; Company H, York Voltiguers, Captain T D Cochran; Company I, Union Guards, Captain J Anthony; Company K, Schuylkill Guards, Captain H C Bennett

Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King & Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, 8 May, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at York, York County, Pennsylvania, between 3 and 7 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 8 May, 1861.

Note: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Brigadier General G C Wynkoop, by Special Orders No.6, Division Headquarters, York, York County, Pennsylvania, on 9 May, 1861 (See the Second Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Department of Pennsylvania, 8 June-24 July, 1861

The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King and Queens Streets, York, York County, Pennsylvania, between 2 Mayand 8 June, 1861.

Camp Scott, York County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, at the junction of King & Queens Streets, York, York County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 8 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 8 June, 1861, and arrived Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 13 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 16 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861.

Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and Senior Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 10 AM the same day.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry and 16th Pennsylvania Infantry at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861, and were assigned to build earthworks on the bluffs west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, under the supervision of Captain J Newton and Second Lieutenant O E Babcock, United States Corps Engineers, on 22 June, 1861.

Camp Potomac, on the Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 24 July, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived by the Northern Central Railroad at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, via Sandy Hook, Washington County, and Baltimore City, Maryland, at 7 PM on 24 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 30 July, 1861: The 16th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 30 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 20, 23, 25, 26, & 27 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, June 1861

United States Battalion Infantry

Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepherd, Third United States Infantry

Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepherd, 3rd United States Infantry, Company B, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 18th United States infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Second United states Infantry

Company C: First Lt. A E Latimer
First Lieutenant A E Latimer, 2nd United States Infantry, Company C, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Infantry, Company I, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.
Company K: Capt. L Beall
Brevet Major & Captain G W Patten, 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, was appointed major, 9th United States Infantry, and First Lieutenant L Beall, 2nd United States Infantry, Company H, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 30 April, 1861. First Lieutenant R F Hunter, 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, was cashiered on 9 November, 1861.

The 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, under the command of First Lieutenant R F Hunter, was stationed at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861, and Company C at Fort Ripley, on the Mississippi River, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, on 5 June, 1861.

Fort Ripley, on the Mississippi River, Crow Wing County, Minnesota, & Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 & 12 June 1861: The 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, in the vicinity of M Harchelford's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, in the evening on 7 June, 1861, and Company C, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, on 12 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Note: The 2nd United States Infantry, Company C, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, was stationed at Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin, on 10 June, 1861.

The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, were assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Third United states Infantry

Company B: Second Lt. J F Kent
Cadet J F Kent was appointed second lieutenant, 3rd United States Infantry, Company B, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepperd, 3rd United States Infantry, Company B, was assigned to command the United States Battalion Infantry at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.
Company D: Second Lt. W H Bell
Captain H B Schroeder, 3rd United States Infantry, Company D, resigned at Washington, D. C., on 25 May, 1861, dated 30 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant J McL. Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, was appointed captain, 3rd United States Infantry, Company D, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 30 May, 1861. Second Lieutenant W H Bell, 3rd United States Infantry, Company D, was appointed first lieutenant, 3rd United States Infantry, Company I, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.
Company G: Second Lt. J B Williams
Second Lieutenant J B Williams, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, was appointed first lieutenant, 3rd United States Infantry, Company D, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 June, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain W T H Brooks, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, was appointed brigadier general, Volunteers, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 December, 1861, dated 28 September, 1861.
Company H: Second Lt. D Parker
Second Lieutenant D Parker, 3rd United States Infantry, Company H, was appointed first lieutenant, Company E, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 30 May, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain W H Gordon, 3rd United States Infantry, Company H, was assigned a leave of absence by Special Orders No.151, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 June, 1861, and was appointed major, 8th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 December, 1861, dated 31 July, 1861.
Company K: Capt. G Sykes
Captain G Sykes, 3rd United States Infantry, Company K, was appointed major, 14th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant & General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the United States Battalion Infantry at the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861. First Lieutenant J W Alley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, was appointed captain, 3rd United States Infantry, Company K, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

The 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, were stationed at Washington, D. C., under the command of Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepherd, 3rd United States Infantry, Company B, between 10 May and 5 June, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 6-9 June, 1861: The 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepherd, 3rd United States Infantry, Company B, were ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimote & Ohio Railroad, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the afternoon on 6 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F (See the United States Army, Department of Washington). Companies B, D, G, H, and K arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 9 June, 1861.

Note: The 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, were assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).
Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 9 June, 1861

Sources

"The 13th regiment, Col. Rowley, and 16th regiment, Col. Zeiger, arrived here last evening, and are still on the cars."

Public Ledger (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), 6 June, 1861 - Letter from Chambersburg

"Chambersburg, Pa., 10 June - The Sixteenth Regiment arrived here on Saturday evening, and are encamped at Camp Miles, named in compliment to Colonel Miles, of the two companies of Minnesota Regulars, who arrived from Fort Leavenworth on Friday evening. On Sunday, Major Sheppard came in with five companies of the Texan Regulars (Third Infantry) from Washington."

Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), 11 June, 1861 - Our Chambersburg letter

"The Sixteenth Pennsylvania Regiment, recently encamped at York, arrived here Saturday afternoon, and proceeded to one of the camps on the Hagerstown road."

World (New York City, New York County, New York), 12 June, 1861 - From Chambersburg

"Company F, fourth, U. S. Artillery, will arrive about Tuesday, and be assigned to the same brigade. On Tuesday morning there also arrive from Washington, via Harrisburg, a Rhode Island regiment, and will probably be posted forward at once to Greencastle."

"Col. Dixon S. Miles, Second United States infantry, arrived on Saturday, with one company of Second United States infantry, and the band, and has been put in command of a regiment now forming."

Evening Star (Washington, D. C.), 13 June, 1861 - Chambersburg, 9 June, 1861

"Chambersburg, 14 June, 1861 - The troops now here, at the different camps, expect to take up their line of march for Greencastle sometime tomorrow. The Connecticut regiment was inspected last night, and ordered to prepare rations for four days. The Wisconsin regiment are encamped at Camp Chambers, near the Pennsylvania Eleventh, Colonel Jarrett."

"The Third Brigade, commanded by Col. Miles, of the Second Infantry, U. S. Army, left Camp Brady yesterday evening, at 4 o’clock, it is supposed for Frederick. The brigade consists of five companies of the Third Infantry and two companies of the Second Infantry of the regular army, and also the Sixteenth Regiment, Col. Zeiger; the Thirteenth, Col. Rowley, and the Ninth, Col. Longnecker, Pennsylvania volunteers."

"The Twenty-fourth Regiment, Colonel Owen, is now the only regiment left at Camp Brady, and it is hourly expecting to move."

Press (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), 15 June, 1861 - Letter from Chambersburg

"The six companies of the third United States infantry, numbering about five hundred men, which left Washington two weeks since to join General Patterson's division, arrived at one o'clock this morning, and proceeded to quarters prepared for them in the First Ward."

National Republican (Washington, D. C.), 20 June, 1861

"General Patterson and staff left here this afternoon for Downsville, and it is generally understood that the whole force will cross the river at three points simultaneously tomorrow morning at three o’clock. The points and brigades will be: Fourth Brigade, General Williams, Seventh, Eighth, Tenth and Twentieth Regiments; Fifth Brigade, Colonel Longnecker, Ninth, Thirteenth and Sixteenth Regiments - cross at Williamsport. First Brigade, Colonel C. P. dare, commanding, viz.: Colonel Thomas’ regular cavalry, the Philadelphia City Troop, the Sixth, twenty-first and Twenty-third Regiments - at Falling Waters. The Wisconsin Regiment and Eleventh Pennsylvania Regiment, with Perkins’ Battery will likely cross at the same place. The Second Brigade, General Wynkoop, viz.: First, Second, Third, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Regiments, will cross at Shepherdstown."

Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), 2 July, 1861 - Highly important from General Patterson’s command

Books/ Manuscripts

Official Army Register for September 1861, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, 1 September, 1861

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866–67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U.S. Army

A narrative of the campaign in the Valley of the Shenandoah in 1861, by Robert Patterson

Reminiscences of the war, or, incidents which transpired in and about Chambersburg, during the War of the Rebellion, by J Hoke

History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, prepared in complience with acts of the legislation, Volume 1, by Samuel P Bates

Notes

The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861; the 9th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, on 6 June, 1861; the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd United States Infantry, Company K, and Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, on 8 June, 1861; and the 2nd United States Infantry, Company C, on 12 June, 1861.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, and the United States Battalion Infantry were assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Organisation of Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 12 June, 1861: Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry: 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel H C Longnecker; 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel T A Rowley; 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel T A Ziegle; United States Battalion Infantry, Brevet Major & Captain O L Shepherd, Third United States Infantry, Company B

Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 13 June, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

St James College, on the road to Williamsport, five miles southwest of Hagerstown, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 16 June, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861.

Williamsport Turnpike one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 10 AM and 3 PM on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley, Virginia, the same day.

Order of troops crossing Potomac River, Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 10 AM & 3 PM, 16 June, 1861: 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K; 9th Pennsylvania Infantry; 13th Pennsylvania Infantry; 16th Pennsylvania Infantry; 8th United States Infantry, Company G; Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, and 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry; 21st Pennsylvania Infantry; two sections of 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery; 6th Pennsylvania Infantry

Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C & K, & 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, & K, 17 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the 8th United States Infantry, Company G.

Note: Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Camp Hitchcock, Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, & 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, 18 June, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 10 AM the same day.

Hagerstown, Washington County, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C & K, & 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, & K, 17-18 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening on 17 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 8th United States Infantry, Company G, and the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K. The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C & K, & 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, & K, 18-20 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the 8th United States Infantry, Company G. The 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 1 AM on 20 June, 1861.

Organisation of Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 18 June, 1861: Acting Brigadier General & Colonel H C Longnecker, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel W H H Hangen; 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel T A Rowley; 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel T A Ziegle

Camp Potomac, on the Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles northeast of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry & 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, 2-3 July, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, opposite Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Hoke Run, one mile south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Note: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to build earthworks or redan on the bluffs above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, superintended by Captain J Newton and Second Lieutenant O E Babcock, United States Corps Engineers, on 20 June, 1861, and was assigned to garrison duty at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 2 July, 1861 (See the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, 4 July, 1861: The 13th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 4 July, 1861, and was accompanied the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day. The Fourth Brigade was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The Fourth Brigade, Fourth Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry and 13th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 22 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, & Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 9th Pennsylvania Infantry, 13th Pennsylvania Infantry, & 16th Pennsylvania Infantry, 29 & 30 July & 6 August, 1861: The 9th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 29 July, 1861; the 16th Pennsylvania Infantry on 30 July, 1861; and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 6 August, 1861.

Note: Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvnia Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 27 July, 1861, and Brevet Major General & Brigadier General G Cadwallader, Pennsylvania Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861.

Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army: Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was stationed at Fort Kearney, on the Platte River, Nebraska Territory, on 14 April, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth County, Kansas, on 15 April, 1861. He was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies E and F, and arrived at Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth County, Kansas, in the afternoon on 29 April, 1861. Colonel D S Miles was ordered to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 22 May, 1861, dated 4 May, 1861, and arrived on 29 May, 1861. He arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, M Harchelford's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 8 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Company K. Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K; the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K; and the 8th United States Infantry, Company G. He arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 1 AM on 20 June, 1861.