The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Third Division

Fifth Pennsylvania Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three months 20 and 21 April, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 27 April, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Bull Run

COLONEL R P MCDOWELL
R P Mcdowell was appointed colonel, 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL B C CHRIST
B C Christ was appointed lieutenant colonel, 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

MAJOR R B PETRIKEN
R B Petriken was appointed colonel, 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Company A State Guards: CAPT. G W DAWSON
The company was accepted in state service at Allegheny City, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861.
Company B Turner Rifles: CAPT. H AMLUNG
The company was accepted in state service at Pittsburg, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 19 April, 1861.
Company C Columbian Infantry, Minersville Battalion (Schuylkill County): CAPT. J BRENNAN
The company was accepted in state service at Glen Carbon, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 21 April, 1861.
Company D Standing Stone Guards: CAPT. B F MILLER
The company was accepted in state service at Huntingdon, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 21 April, 1861.
Company E Minersville Artillerists or Artillery, Minersville Battalion (Schuylkill County): CAPT. W HOWER
The company was accepted in state service at Minersville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Captain B C Christ, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.
Company F Scott Artillery, 1st Regiment (Schuylkill County): CAPT. F B MEDLER
The company was accepted in state service at Schuylkill Haven, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.
Company G Lebanon Guards: CAPT. J ULRICH
The company was accepted in state service at Lebanon, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and was mustered in United States service, under the command of Captain J Wench, on 21 April, 1861.
Company H Union Light Infantry or Reading Reapers: CAPT. F M COOLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Reading, Berks County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 19 April, 1861.
Company I Ringgold Rifles, Minersville Battalion (Schuylkill County): CAPT. G J LAWRENCE
The company was accepted in state service at Minersville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.
Company K United States Zouaves: CAPT. G SieGRIST
The company was accepted in state service at Pittsburg, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 19 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad has been tendered for use of troops. Six companies have gone from Reading, and more are being organised. Capt. F. M. Cooley, a dealer in agricultural implements, left on Friday for Harrisburg. He called his company the 'Reading Reapers,' and they will give a good account of themselves."

The Philadelphia Inquirer, 23 April, 1861

"At four o'clock yesterday afternoon the the Fifth Pennsylvania regiment of volunteers , numbering seven hundred and eighty-three men, arrived in this city from Harrisburg."

The Philadelphia Press, 23 April, 1861 - Arrival of the Fifth Pennsylvania regiment

"The Fifth Pennsylvania Regiment have all left Philadelphia. A portion of them started on Monday night by the Ericsson steamers. The majority, howere, spent the night at the Baltimore depot, and left early yesterday morning by railway for Harve de Grace."

The Philadelphia Press, 24 April, 1861

"About five o'clock on Saturday evening, the train arrived bringing in the Ffth Regiment of Pennsylvania and two companies of guards who had been relieved from duty along the line of the road. These men are not uniformed, but are fully armed, and ready to take a turn at fighting on very short notice. They marched to the auguaration ballroom, and took up quarters."

The National Republican, 29 April, 1861 - Arrival of the Fifth Pennsylvania Regiment

"Several companies of the fourth and fifth Pennsylvania regiments proceeded out to their place of encampment, near Glenwood cemetery, yesterday afternoon."

The National Republican, 23 May, 1861 - Gone into camp

"The garrison at Alexandria now consists as follows: Michigan First, Col. Willcox, 780 men; New York Fire Zouaves, Lieut. Colonel Farnham, 1,157 men; Massachusetts Fifth, Col. Lawrence, 880 men; Pennsylvania Fifth, Col. McDowell, 1,014 men; Captain Rickett's Light Battery, (regulars) six pieces, 100 men; company E, second cavalry, Lieut. Sweet commanding, 76 men - total 3,901."

The Evening Star, 4 June, 1861 - Troops stationed at Alexandria, Virginia

"The Fifth regiment was transferred to the Brigade commanded by Colonel W. B. Franklin, previous to the advance of the army upon the enemy at Bull Run, but was ordered to remain on duty at Alexandria. Consequently it did not participate in the battle which ensued, and which resulted so disastrously to our arms."

History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers 1861-5, prepared in complience with acts of the legislation, Volume 1, by Samuel P Bates

"Upon arriving at the deserted city, past the Marshall House where Colonel Ellsworth was killed, and encamped on the ground recently abandoned by the 5th Pennsylvania Regiment, which had advanced with the army to Manassas."

History of the Fortieth, Mozart, Regiment, New York Volunteers, which was composed of four companies from New York, four companies from Massachusetts and two companies from Pennsylvania, by Sergeant Frederick C Floyd

"Assigned to Gen. McDowell's brigade, the regiment performed guard duty at Alexandria til the return to Harrisburg for muster out, which took place on July 25."

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 1, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Delaware

Notes

The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service for three months at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 22 April, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Note: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was organised at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 20 April, 1861.

Minersville & Schuylkill Haven, Schuylkill County, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, Companies E, F, & I, 20 April, 1861: The Minersville Artillerists or Artillery (80), the Scott Artillery (73), and the Ringgold Rifles (108) arrived at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The Minersville Artillerists or Artillery, the Scott Artillery, and the Ringgold Rifles were assigned to the Minersville Battalion, First Brigade (Schuylkill County), Pennsylvania Militia, under the command of Major W Spencer, on 19 April, 1861.

Huntingdon, Huntingdon County, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, Company D, 21 April, 1861: The Standing Stone Guards arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 21 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20 & 21 April, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A, B, H, and K, were mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, two miles north of Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 20 April, 1861, and Companies C, D, E, F, G, and I on 21 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 22 April, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry (780) was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 22 April, 1861, and arrived by the Columbia & Philadelphia Branch, Pennsylvania Railroad, at 4 PM the same day.

Note: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at the Baltimore Railroad Station, on Broad and Prime Streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 7 PM on 22 April, 1861.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, 23 April, 1861: Eight companies of the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, in the morning on 23 April, 1861.

Note: Two companies of the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to guard steamers on the Delaware & Chesapeake Canal to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, in the evening on 22 April, 1861.

Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 23-27 April, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by three steamers to Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, in the evening on 23 April, 1861, and procceded to Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, in the morning on 26 April, 1861. The regiment arrived at Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, in the evening the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Washington, D. C., on 27 April, 1861. The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Washington, D. C., at 5 PM the same day.

Inauguration Ballroom, adjoining City Hall, on Indiana Avenue, south of Judiciary Square, Washington, D. C., 27 April, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at the Inauguration Ballroom, adjoining City Hall, on Indiana Avenue, south of Judiciary Square, Washington, D. C., on 27 April, 1861.

Inauguration Ballroom, adjoining City Hall, on Indiana Avenue, south of Judiciary Square, Washington, to the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C, 24 May, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Washington, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C, in the morning on 24 May, 1861.

Abstract from returns of the volunteer troops in the Department of Washington, Colonel J F K Mansfield, United States Army, commanding, 30 April, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at the Inauguration Ballroom, ajoining City Hall, on Indiana Avenue, south of Judiciary Square, Washington, D. C., on 30 April, 1861.

Vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 28 May, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered by steamer across the Potomac River to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and arrived at King Street Wharf, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day.

Alexandria to Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 3 June, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861.

Troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 4 June, 1861: 1st Michigan Infantry, Colonel O B Willcox (See the 1st Michigan Infantry); 11th New York Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel N Farnham (See the 11th New York Infantry); 5th Massachusetts Infantry, Colonel S C Lawrence (See the 5th Massachusetts Infantry); 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R P McDowell; 1st United States Artillery, Light Company I, First Lieutenant D Ramsay (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company I); 2nd United States Cavalry, Company E, First Lieutenant J J Sweet, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company K (See the United States Battalion Cavalry)

Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 13 June, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1861, and was assigned to garrison duty at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 13 June, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned as provost guard at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on (?) June, 1861, and detachments were assigned to build Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861.

Disposition of troops in the defenses of Washington, D. C., 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army, Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 17th New York Infantry, Colonel H S Lansing, Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, and King Street Wharf, Alexandria, Virginia; 21st New York Infantry, Colonel W F Rogers, Fort Runyon, junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fort Jackson, Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia; bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 25th New York State Militia, Colonel M K Bryan, Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 28th New York State Militia, Colonel M P Bennett, Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; blockhouses at Fort Haggerty, opposite Analostan Island, on the Potomac River, Washington, D. C.; Fort Bennett, half a mile north of Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; Aqueduct Bridge and Ferry, opposite Georgetown, D. C.; 40th New York Infantry, Colonel E J Riley, vicinity of Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C.; 41st New York Infantry, Colonel L Von Gilsa, Washington, D. C.; 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R P McDowell, Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia; 2nd New York State Militia, Howitzer Corps, Captain T P Mott, Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C.

Note: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and assumed command of all the troops not on the march to the front, including those within the various fortifications and camps on 18 July, 1861.

Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 20-21 July, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by steamer to the Washington Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington, D. C., by Headquarters, Fourth Division, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 July, 1861, and arrived by the Northern Central Ralroad at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry arrived at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 July, 1861, and the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Capitol Park, between Third and Fourth Streets and North and Walnut Streets, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 22 July, 1861 (See the 40th New York Infantry).

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 25 July, 1861: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 25 July, 1861.

Colonel W B Franklin, First Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army: Captain W B Franklin, United States Corps Topographical Engineers, was promoted to colonel, 12th United States Infantry, on 14 May, 1861, and was temporarily assigned to the post at New York. Colonel W B Franklin arrived at Albany, New York, on 1 June, 1861, and was assigned to duty organising the departure of New York regiments. Colonel W B Franklin was ordered to return to Washington, D. C., at the end of June, 1861, and assume command of the First Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army, as acting brigadier general of volunteers.