The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Unassigned

Colonel E J Riley, 40th New York Infantry

Colonel E J Riley, 40th New York Infantry

Fortieth New York Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three years 14, 21, 26 and 27 June, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 6 July, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Bull Run

COLONEL E J RILEY
J S Cocks was appointed colonel, 40th New York Infantry, on 14 June, 1861, and was discharged on 29 June, 1861. Colonel J S Cocks, 40th New York Infantry, was not commissioned on 14 June, 1861, and E J Riley was appointed colonel, 40th New York Infantry, on 1 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL W EGAN
W Egan was appointed lieutenant colonel, 40th New York Infantry, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861.

MAJOR R F HALSTEAD
R F Halstead was appointed major, 40th New York Infantry, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861.

Company A: CAPT. M N CROFTS
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 26 May, 1861, and M N Crofts was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company A, on 15 August, 1861, dated 21 June, 1861. Captain M N Crofts, 40th New York Infantry, Company A, resigned on 28 November, 1861. The company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 25 May, 1863.
Company B Newburyport National Guards: CAPT. J P L WESTCOTT
The company was accepted in state service at Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861, and arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 12 June, 1861. J P L Westcott was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company B, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861, and the company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 7 July, 1864.
Company C: CAPT. F T FOSTER
The company was organised at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on (?) May, 1861, and F T Foster was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company C, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861. Captain F T Foster, 40th New York Infantry, Company C, resigned on 28 September, 1861, and the company was redesignated the 40th New York Infantry, Company D, on 7 July, 1864.
Company D: CAPT. N A GESNER
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 26 May, 1861, and N A Gesner was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company D, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861. The company was redesignated the 40th New York Infantry, Company E, on 7 July, 1864.
Company E (1st): CAPT. H E GOTL(I)EB
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 26 May, 1861, and H E Gotl(i)eb was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company E, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861.The company was assigned to guard duty at Alexandria, Virginia, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861. Captain H E Gotl(i)eb, 40th New York Infantry, Company E, was discharged by Special Orders No.299, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 8 November, 1861, dated 4 November, 1861, and the company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 25 May, 1863.
Company E (2nd): CAPT. M M Cannon
The company was organised with three years' men of the 38th New York Infantry as the 40th New York Infantry, Company E (2nd), on 23 May, 1863, and First Lieutenant & Adjutant M M Cannon, 40th New York Infantry, was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company E (2nd), on 3 April, 1863, dated 23 February, 1863 (See the 38th New York Infantry). The company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 7 July, 1864.
Company F: CAPT. H UNGERER
The company was accepted in state service at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on (?) May, 1861, and Captain H Ungerer, 2nd Regiment Infantry, Company C, Washington Guards, was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company F, on 15 August, 1861, dated 14 June, 1861 (See the 27th Pennsylvania Infantry). The company was redesignated the 40th New York Infantry, Company A, on 7 July, 1864.
Company G Milford Light Infantry, Company A: CAPT. P A LINDSAY
The company accepted in state service at Milford, Worcester County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861, and arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 12 June, 1861. P A Lindsay was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company G, on 15 August, 1861, dated 21 June, 1861, and the company was assigned to guard duty at Alexandria, Virginia, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861. The company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 7 July, 1864.
Company H Union Guards: CAPT. A S INGALLS
The company was accepted in state service at West Cambridge, Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, on 7 May, 1861, and arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 12 June, 1861. A D Ingalls was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company H, on 15 August, 1861, dated 27 June, 1861, and the company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 25 May, 1863.
Company I (1st): CAPT. J C BURKE
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 26 May, 1861, and J C Burke was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company I (1st), on 15 August, 1861, dated 26 June, 1861. Captain J C Burke, 40th New York Infantry, Company I (1st), was discharged by Special Orders No.299, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 8 November, 1861, dated 4 November, 1861, and the company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 25 May, 1863.
Company I (2nd): CAPT. G Woodward
The company was organised with three years' men of the 37th New York Infantry as the 40th New York Infantry, Company I (2nd), on 25 May, 1863, and First Lieutenant G Woodward, 40th New York Infantry, Company D, was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company I (2nd), on 2 December, 1861, dated 4 November, 1861 (See the 37th New York Infantry). Captain G Woodward, 40th New York Infantry, Company D, was assigned to the 40th New York Infantry, Company I (1st), on 15 November, 1861, and was redesignated the 40th New York Infantry, Company F, on 7 July, 1864.
Company K: CAPT. W O'SULLIVAN, JR.
The company was accepted in state service at Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861, and arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 26 June, 1861. W O'Sullivan, Jr., was appointed captain, 40th New York Infantry, Company K, on 15 August, 1861, dated 27 June, 1861. The company was disbanded and the men assigned to other companies of the 40th New York Infantry on 25 May, 1863.

Sources

"The Mozart Regiment, Col. J. S. Cocks, was stationed on the block between Eighth and Seventh avenues. It was mostly uniformed. Its uniform is the same as that of the Ninth Regiment, consisting of dark blue jackets faced with red, and pants to match."

The World (New York), 27 May, 1861 - The Union Defense Committee's inspection

"On Saturday morning a light infantry company, eighty strong, arrived from Milford, Mass., having received orders to join the Brooklyn Phalanx, under the command of Col. Adams."

The World (New York), 3 June, 1861 - Milford (Mass.) Light Infantry

"The Milford Light Infantry, Capt. E. A. Lindsey, full ranks, 79 men, passed through this city last evening, by the steamboat train for New York, on the way to the war. They are to be joined by the Union Guards of West Cambridge, and the National Guard of Newburyport, and attached to the Brooklyn (N. Y.) Phalanx, as a portion of Gen. Sickles' brigade. The Newburyport company went on by the Stonnington route. The West Cambridge company, Capt. Albert S. Ingalls, had but an hour and a halfs notice, and a march of seven miles to the depot. They reached Boston in season to leave by the night train for New York, which was delayed till half-past nine for their accommodation. The train reached this city about eleven o'clock."

The Massachusetts Spy (Worcester), 5 June, 1861 - Movement of troops

"The Captains of the three Massachusetts companies who returned from Brooklyn this morning, had an interview with the Governor and other authorities at the State House during the forenoon. A meeting of the three companies was held at a hall on Sudbury street, at 12 o'clock, at which the commanders reported the result of their interview. It was then unanimously voted to proceed to Fort Warren, to remain there three days. subject to no orders except those of their commanders, and to accept with the use of quarters there, the tender of food from the State during that time. In the mean time, Captains Wescott, Ingalls, and Lindsey will visit Yonkers, 17 miles from New York, and consult with Col. Cox, who has offered them an opportunity to join a fine regiment under his command, which lacks but three companies of being full. The companies proceeded at once, on the adjournment of their meeting, to the Steamer Nelly Baker, on which they are to be carried to Fort Warren."

The Boston Herald, 5 June, 1861 - Departure of the returned Massachusetts companies for Fort Warren, another prospect of joining a New York Regiment

"The Milford, West Cambridge and Newburyport companies arrived here from Brooklyn, N. Y., this morning. They left the Brooklyn Phalanx armory at 4 1/2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, and came by the Fall River route, reaching here at 7 o'clock this morning. They proceeded at once to the American House, where they took breakfast, and have been quartered this forenoon."

The Boston Herald, 5 June, 1861 - Return of the three Massachusetts companies from Brooklyn. Prospect of disbanding

"The Captains of the Newburyport, Milford and West Cambridge companies, who were so disgracefully victimised in Brooklyn, last week, have made another visit to New York, and returned on Saturday with a written arrangement for the joining of their commands to the Mozart regiment, under the command of Col. Cox, now quartered at Yonkers."

The Boston Post, 10 June, 1861 - The Brooklyn visitors

"Three companies of troops arrived in this city at six o'clock yesterday morning, by the Stonington boat, for the purpose of joining the Mozart regiment, Col. Cocks, now quartered at Yonkers. They are the Newburyport company, Captain Wescott; the Cambridge company, Captain Ingalls, and the Milford company, Captain Lindsay - 350 men in all."

The New York Herald, 13 June, 1861 - Arrival of Coonecticut and Massachusetts volunteers for the Mozart Regiment

"A company of eighty-one men, under command of Captain Thomas C. Ray, arrived in this city this morning from Yonkers, and had it not been for the kind assistance of generous citizens of New York, would have been actually starving and nearly destitute of clothing."

The Commercial Advertiser, 15 June, 1861 - The Mozart Regiment

"The Newburyport, Milford and West Cambridge Companies took up the line of march (forming in Sudbury street) to the Providence Depot at 4 1/2 o'clock this afternoon, to take the cars for New York."

The American Traveller, 15 June, 1861 - Departure of the Newburyport, Milford and West Cambridge companies

"Besides the Massachusetts men, about one hundred in number, who left the Mozart regiment, encamped at Yonkers, yesterday, a large number of Pennsyvania recruits departed. A company of these men, under Captain Ray, about one hundred strong, are now in the city seeking conveyance home."

The Evening Post, 15 June, 1861 - A stampede from the Mozart regiment

"The members of the Massachusetts companies, which arrived in this city a few days ago with the object of joining the Mozart Regiment, seem to be dissatisfied with the prospect held out for them in that regiment, and 40 of the Milford and 25 of the West Cambridge men have actually receded from the organisation."

The New York Tribune, 15 June, 1861 - The Massachusetts Volunteers

"This fine regiment arrived here at 10 o'clock this morning, and marched to quarters in several buildings on the south side of the Pa. avenue, between Four-and-a-half and Sixth sts. They number over 1,000 men, and are uniformed in dark jackets and pants similar to the New York Ninth Regiment."

The Evening Star, 6 July, 1861 - Arrival of the New York Mozart Regiment

"Upon arriving at the deserted city, we disembarked and marched about one mile beyond the city, past the Marshall House were Col. Ellsworth was killed, and encamped on the ground recently abandoned by the 5th Penn. Regiment, which had advanced with the army to Manassas."

"They were made of dark blue cloth, with red facings and trimmings and large gilt buttons. The jacket, trousers, and cap were made of the same material and all trimmed with the same colour. The officers' uniform conformed strictly to the armu regulations."

"At first, the Mozart jacket felt strange to us, for the Arlington coat was double-breasted frock, the skirts of which reached nearly to the knees, while the Mozart jacket ended at the waist, just below the belt."

"We moved immediately in light marching order, except companies E and G, which were detailed for guard duty in Alexandria. We marched to the city, then to the Orange & Alexandria railroad station, distant about one mile, where a train was waiting for us. We embarked and started without delay in the direction of Bull Run. We heard the distant roar of the cannon, and of course concluded that was our destination. We loaded our muskets on the train, and made all the necessary preparations for meeting the enemy. We proceeded, however, about fifteen miles only, or almost to Fairfax Court House, and there ascertained that we were to guard the railroad and telegraph. We were picketed along the railroad, two men being left at the several posts, which were about three rods apart."

History of the Fortieth, Mozart, Regiment, New York Volunteers, which was composed of four companies from New York, four companies from Massachusetts and two companies from Pennsylvania, by Sergeant Frederick C Floyd

New York in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865, Volume 3, by Frederick Phisterer

Notes

The 40th New York Infantry was accepted in state service by General Ordrs No.15, War Department, Washington, D. C., on 4 May, 1861, and was organised at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 14 June, 1861.

Note: The Constitution Guards, under the command of Colonel J S Cocks, Lieutenant Colonel W B Olmsted, and Major O Westmore, Jr., were stationed at 467 Broadway, and Jones' Wood, between Sixty-sixth and Sixty-ninth Streets and First Avenue and East River, New York City, New York County, New York, on 7 May, 1861, and set up Heaquarters at No.623 Broadway, New York City, New York County, New York, on 10 May, 1861.

Accepted in state service, West Cambridge, Cambridge, Middlesex County; Lawrence & Newburyport, Essex County; Milford, Worcester County, Massachusetts; New York City, New York County, New York, & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 7-(?) May, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry, Companies G was accepted in state service at West Cambridge, Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, on 7 May, 1861; Companies A, D, E, and I (1st), at New York City, New York County, New York, on 26 May, 1861; Company B at Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861; Companies C and F at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on (?) May, 1861; Company G at Milford, Worcester County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861; and Company K at Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts, on (?) May, 1861.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry was stationed at No.249 William Street and Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth and Ninety-fourth Streets and Bloomingdale Road, New York City, New York County, New York, on 14 May, 1861.

Massachusetts Companies B, G, H, & K

Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts, to New York City, New York County, New York, Company B, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The Newburyport National Guards was ordered to proceed by the Eastern Railroad to New York City, New York County, New York, in the morning on 31 May, 1861, and arrived at Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, at 12 PM the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Boston & Providence Railroad to New York City, New York County, New York, in the afternoon on 31 May, 1861, and arrived by the New York & New Haven Railroad in the morning on 1 June, 1861.

Milford, Worcester County, Massachusetts, to New York City, New York County, New York, Company G, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The Milford Light Infantry (79), Company A, was ordered to proceed by the Milford Railroad to New York City, New York County, New York, at 5 PM on 31 May, 1861, dated 6 PM 30 May, 1861, and arrived by the New York & New Haven Railroad in the morning on 1 June, 1861.

West Cambridge, Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, to New York City, New York County, New York, Company H, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The Union Guards was ordered to New York City, New York County, New York, at 2 PM on 31 May, 1861, and arrived at Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Boston & Worcester Railroad to New York City, New York County, New York, at 9.30 PM on 31 May, 1861, and arrived by the New York & New Haven Railroad in the morning on 1 June, 1861.

Note: The Newburyport National Guards was stationed on the second story of the Brooklyn Arsenal (Armory), on the corner of Henry and Cranberry Streets, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, and the the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were stationed on the third story of the Brooklyn Arsenal (Armory), on the corner of Henry and Cranberry Streets, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, on 1 June, 1861, and were not assigned to the 67th New York Infantry, under the command of Colonel J Adams, on 2 June, 1861.

Note: Captain A S Ingalls, Union Guards; Captain P A Lindsey, Milford Light Infantry, Company A; and First Lieutenant W D Foster, Newburyport National Guards, were ordered to Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in the evening on 2 June, 1861, and arrived at 6 AM on 3 June, 1861.

Brooklyn Arsenal (Armory), on the corner of Henry & Cranberry Streets, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York, to Fort Warren, Georges Island, Boston Harbour, Companies B, G, & H, 4-5 June, 1861: The Newburyport National Guard, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were ordered to Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, at 4.30 PM on 4 June, 1861, and arrived via Fall River, Bristol County, Massachusetts, at 7 AM on 5 June, 1861.

Note: The Newburyport National Guards, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were stationed at the American House Hotel, 56 Hanover Street, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in the morning on 5 June, 1861.

Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, to Fort Warren, Georges Island, Boston Harbour, Companies B, G, & H, 5 June, 1861: The Newburyport National Guards, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were ordered to proceed by the steamer Nellie Baker to Fort Warren, Georges Island, Boston Harbour, in the afternoon on 5 June, 1861.

Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, Companies B, G, & H, 11-12 June, 1861: The Newburyport National Guards, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were ordered to rendezvous at Salignac's Armory, on Sudbury Street, Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in the morning on 11 June, 1861, and proceeded by the Boston & Providence Railroad to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, at 5 PM the same day. The Newburyport National Guards, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards were accompanied by the Milford Brass Band and arrived by the Stonnington & Providence Railroad at Stonnington, New London County, Connecticut, at 10 PM on 11 June, 1861. The Newburyport National Guard, the Milford Light Infantry, Company A, and the Union Guards arrived by the steamer Plymouth Rock at Manhattan (New York), New York City, New York, at 6 AM on 12 June, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the steamer Champion at Amos Street, Manhattan (New York), New York City, New York, to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, at 9.30 AM the same day.

Fortieth New York Infantry

The 40th New York Infantry was ordered to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 1 June, 1861, and was stationed at Devoe's building, on Dock Street, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 3 June, 1861.

Note: Ray's Company (81) arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 28 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 40th New York Infantry between 28 May and 14 June, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by steamer to New York City, New York County, New York, in the morning on 14 June, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 15 June, 1861.

Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts, to Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, Company K, 26 June, 1861: Captain W O'Sullivan, Jr.'s Company arrived at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 26 June, 1861.

Mustered in three years, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, 14, 21, 26, & 27 June, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry, Companies B, C, D, E, and F, were mustered in United States service for three years at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, by Captain M Cogswell, 8th United States Infantry, Company E, on 14 June, 1861; Companies A and G on 21 June, 1861; I on 26 June, 1861, and Companies H and K on 27 June, 1861. The 40th New York Infantry arrived at Camp Wood, on the Hudson River, in the vicinity of Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 24 June, 1861.

Note: Colonel E J Riley, Lieutenant Colonel W Egan, and Major R F Halstead, 40th New York Infantry, were mustered in United States service at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, on 1 July, 1861.

Yonkers, Westchester County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 4-6 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry (1,039) was ordered to Washington, D. C., at 3 PM on 4 July, 1861, and arrived by the steamer Red Jacket at Elizabethport, Union County, New Jersey, at 5 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the New Jersey Central Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 4 July, 1861, and arrived by the Lebanon Valley Railroad via Easton, Northampton County, and Reading, Berks County, Pennsylvania, on 5 July, 1861. The 40th New York Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Baltimore City, Maryland, the same day and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, in the morning on 6 July, 1861. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Washington, D. C., the same day and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, between 10 and 11 AM on 6 July, 1861.

Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., 6 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry was stationed on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., on 6 July, 1861.

Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, to Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., 7 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry was ordered to Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., at 5 AM on 7 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Scott, on Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., the same day.

Disposition of troops in the defenses of Washington, D. C., 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army, Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 17th New York Infantry, Colonel H S Lansing, Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, and King Street Wharf, Alexandria, Virginia; 21st New York Infantry, Colonel W F Rogers, Fort Runyon, junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fort Jackson, Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia; bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 25th New York State Militia, Colonel M K Bryan, Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 28th New York State Militia, Colonel M P Bennett, Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; blockhouses at Fort Haggerty, opposite Analostan Island, on the Potomac River, Washington, D. C.; Fort Bennett, half a mile north of Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; Aqueduct Bridge and Ferry, opposite Georgetown, D. C.; 40th New York Infantry, Colonel E J Riley, vicinity of Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C.; 41st New York Infantry, Colonel L Von Gilsa, Washington, D. C.; 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R P McDowell, Alexandria, Virginia; 2nd New York State Militia, Howitzer Corps, Captain T P Mott, Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C.

Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., to Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, 20 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry was ordered by steamer across the Potomac River at Sixth Street Wharf, Washington, D. C., at 4 AM on 20 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, in the morning the same day.

Note: The 5th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, between 3 June and 19 July, 1861, and was ordered to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 20 July, 1861 (See the 5th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry was ordered to the Orange & Alexandria Railroad Station, on Duke and South Henry Streets, Alexandria, Virginia, at 3 PM on 21 July, 1861, and to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry, Companies E and G, were assigned to guard duty at Alexandria, Virginia, and Companies A, B, C, D, F, H, I, and K to guard the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and telegraph between Fairfax and Burke's Stations, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, to Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, 22 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, F, H, I, and K, were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, in the evening on 22 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, at 10 PM the same day.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry, Company H, was assigned to guard duty at the Courthouse, on Columbia Street, between Queen and Princess Streets, Alexandria, Virginia, and Company E was ordered to Camp McDowell, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, at 4 PM on 22 July, 1861.

Rendezvous at the corner of F Street, opposite the Treasury building, on Fifteenth Street, Washington, D. C., 24 July, 1861: The 15th New York Infantry, the 25th New York Infantry, the 26th New York Infantry, the 37th New York Infantry, the 40th New York Infantry, and the 27th Pennsylvania Infantry were ordered to rendezvous at the corner of F Street, opposite the Treasury building, on Fifteenth Street, Washington, D. C., at 12 PM on 24 July, 1861.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry was temporarily assigned to the Seventh Brigade, Fourth Division, Division of the Potomac, under the command of Acting Brigadier General & Colonel O O Howard, 3rd Maine Infantry, at Camp Runyon, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Virginia, on 5 August, 1861 (See the 3rd Maine Infantry).

Temporary organisation of Seventh Brigade, Fourth Division, Division of the Potomac, 5 August, 1861: Acting Brigadier General & Colonel O O Howard, 3rd Maine Infantry; 11th New York Infantry, Colonel N L Farnham; 38th New York Infantry, Colonel J H H Ward; 40th New York Infantry, Colonel E J Riley; 2nd New Jersey Infantry, Colonel G W McLean; 3rd New Jersey Infantry, Colonel G W Taylor; 11th Massachusetts Infantry, Colonel G Clark, Jr.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry was assigned to Sedgwick's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, under the command of Acting Brigadier General & Colonel J Sedgwick, 4th United States Cavalry, at Camp Riley, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, two miles northwest of Alexandria, Virginia, on 15 August, 1861.

Mustered out, Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, 27 June, 1865: The 40th New York Infantry was consolidated as Companies B, C, D, F, and G and three years' men of the 38th New York Infantry and the 37th New York Infantry were assigned as the 40th New York Infantry, Companies E (2nd) and I (2nd), respectively, on 25 May, 1863. The 40th New York Infantry was consolidated as Companies A, D, and E, under the command of Colonel M M Cannon, on 7 July, 1864, and was mustered out at Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1865.

Reserves, defenses of Washington, D. C., 21 July, 1861: The 40th New York Infantry was assigned to the defenses of Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, during and immediately after the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 40th New York Infantry was assigned to Colonel J Sedgwick's brigade, Division of the Potomac, on 12 August, 1861.