The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Unassigned

Private D H Sheldon, 21st New York Infantry, Company D

Private D H Sheldon, 21st New York Infantry, Company D

Twenty-first New York Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three months 20 May, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 19 June, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Bull Run. Remustered for two years 20 August, 1861

COLONEL W F ROGERS
Captain W F Rogers, 21st New York Infantry, Company C, was appointed colonel, 21st New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL A R ROOT
A R Root was appointed lieutenant colonel, 21st New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861.

MAJOR W H DREW
Captain W H Drew, 21st New York Infantry, Company A, was appointed major, 21st New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861.

Company A: CAPT. R P GARDNER
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, under the command of Captain W H Drew, on 30 April, 1861, and Captain W H Drew was appointed major, 21st New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861. First Lieutenant R P Gardner, 21st New York Infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company A, on 4 July, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.
Company B: CAPT. H M GAYLORD
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 8 May, 1861, and H M Gaylord was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company B, on 4 July, 1861, dated 8 May, 1861.
Company C: CAPT. J P WASHBURN
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, under the command of Captain W F Rogers, on 7 May, 1861, and Captain W F Rogers, 21st New York Infantry, Company C, was appointed colonel, 21st New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861. First Lieutenant J P Washburn, 21st New York Infantry, Company C, was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company A, on 4 July, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.
Company D: CAPT. W C ALBERGER
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 8 May, 1861, and W C Alberger was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company D, on 4 July, 1861, dated 8 May, 1861.
Company E Wilkeson Guards: CAPT. J C STRONG
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 7 May, 1861, and J C Strong was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company E, on 4 July, 1861, dated 7 May, 1861. The company was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Jackson, Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861.
Company F: CAPT. G D W CLINTON
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 7 May, 1861, and G D W Clinton was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company F, on 4 July, 1861, dated 7 May, 1861.
Company G: CAPT. E L LEE
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 9 May, 1861, and E L Lee was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company G, on 4 July, 1861, dated 9 May, 1861.
Company H: CAPT. E L HAYWARD
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 1 May, 1861, and E L Hayward was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company H, on 4 July, 1861, dated 1 May, 1861.
Company I: CAPT. H G THOMAS
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 1 May, 1861, and H G Thomas was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company I, on 4 July, 1861, dated 1 May, 1861.
Company K: CAPT. J M LAYTON
The company was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 1 May, 1861, and J M Layton was appointed captain, 21st New York Infantry, Company K, on 4 July, 1861, dated 1 May, 1861. The company was assigned to garrison duty at the bastion overlooking the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike on 14 July, 1861.
Drum Corps: Drum Maj. J T Scott
Fife Corps: Fife Maj. J Zreime

Sources

"The Twenty-first (Buffalo) regiment arrived here yesterday afternoon from Elmira, where they have been garrisoned. This regiment numbers 780 men, nearly all young and vigourous. They dress in grey jacket and pants, and wear fatigue caps of the same hue."

The Evening Star, 7 May, 1861 - More troops

"The Twenty-first New York Regiment, Col. Rogers, which crossed the Long Bridge yesterday evening, is now encamped in the fort."

Evening Star, 15 July, 1861 - Fort Runyon

"Two more large bastioned earthworks were thrown up to guard the approaches to the Long Bridge. With a perimeter of 1484 yards, Fort Runyon was established at the northern end of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, while the much smaller Fort Albany, with a perimeter of 429 yards and emplacements for 12 guns, was placed about a mile farther down the Columbia Turnpike."

American Civil War fortifications No.2: Land and field fortifications, byRon Field and illustrated by Peter Dennis

"On the 21st of May the regiment received the handsome uniform originally intended for the 74th Regiment, N Y N G. It consisted of cap, jacket and pants of grey cloth, trimmed with black, and an overcoat of a bluish black, lined with red."

"These are the same commenced by the Seventh New York, and nearly completed by Runyon's New Jersey Volunteers. On the south and west they rise to quite a commanding height, and altogether cover an area of about twelve acres. They are mounted with heavy cannon, pricipally thirty-two and sixty-four pound pieces, om barbette carriages, one fine rifled piece of the former calibre commanding the approach from Aleandria."

"For more than a week we had been drilled at these, under Capt. Seymour, of Fort Sumter fame, and we felt that it would be a glorious privilege to check the insolent Beauregard, and teach him his limits."

Chronicles of the Twenty-first Regiment New York State Volunteers, embracing a full history of the regiment from the enrolling of the first volunteer in Buffalo, 15 April, 1861, to the final mustering out, 18 May, 1863, including a copy of muster out rolls of field and staff, and each company, by J Harrison Mills

"Fort Runyon, at the forks of the Alexandria and Fairfax roads (end of Long Bridge), one 30-pounder Parrott rifled gun, eight 8-inch seacoast howitzers, ten 32-pounders, and four 6-pounder field guns. Garrison – Colonel Rogers' Twenty-first New York; artillery officer in charge, Captain T. Seymour, Fifth Artillery."

New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Centre, N.Y.S. Division of Military and Naval Affairs, New York State Digital Library

"Some time after the regiment arrived at Washington, D C, Col Rogers was ordered to take command of Fort Runyon, which was a little less than a mile south of the Long Bridge. Here the regiment remained until after the first battle of Bull Run."

Biographical sketch of James Clark Strong, by J C Strong

"The fort was named in honor Brigadier General Theodore Runyon, whose New Jersey Brigade helped build the forts. Fort Runyon was the largest fort in the Defenses of Washington D. C., covering twelve acres of land with a perimeter of 1484 yards. It was built on the land of James Roach. Construction of the fort began on the morning of 24 May, 1861, under the supervision of Captain Barton S Alexander and was completed in about seven weeks. Fort Runyon guarded Long Bridge and the important junction of the Washington-Alexandria and Columbia turnpikes."

Mr Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington D. C., New Edition, by Benjamin F Cooling II and Walton H Owen II

New York in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865, Volume 3, by Frederick Phisterer

Documents of the Assembly of the State of New York, Eighty-ninth session, 1866, Volume 4, Nos. 61 to 85 inclusive, by New York Legislature Assembly

Notes

The 21st New York Infantry was accepted in state service for two years by Special Orders No.174, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, on 13 May, 1861, and was organised at Elmira, Chemung County, New York, on 15 May, 1861.

Note: The 21st New York Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Elmira, Chemung County, New York, under the call for 42,034 troops to serve three years by President A Lincoln on 3 May, 1861.

Accepted in state service, Buffalo, Erie County, New York, 30 April-9 May, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Company A, was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 30 April, 1861; Companies H, I, and K, on on 1 May, 1861; Companies C, E, and F, on 7 May, 1861; Companies B and D on 8 May, 1861; and Company G on 9 May, 1861.

Organisation of 74th Regiment (294), Thirty-first Brigade, Eighth Division, New York State Militia, 8 January, 1861: Colonel W A Fox, Lieutennat Colonel H M Mixer, Major C Roscel; Company A (2), Captain R Cottier; Company B (43), Captain J F Ernst, Jr.; Company C (48), Captain W F Rogers; Company D (68), Captain D D Bidwell; Company E (63), Captain M Bailey; Company F, Vacant; Company G, Vacant; Company H, Vacant; Company R (Cavalry) (31), Captain A Sloan; Company L (Artillery), Vacant

Special Orders No.85, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, 1 May, 1861, dated 24 April, 1861: The 74th New York State Militia, under the command of Colonel W A Fox, was ordered to Elmira, Chemung County, New York, by Special Orders No.85, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, on 1 May, 1861, dated 24 April, 1861.

Note: Captain A R Root, 74th New York State Militia, Company A, set up a recruiting office at Dudley Hall, Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 20 April, 1861.

Orders No.2, Headquarters, 74th New York State Militia, Buffalo, Erie County, County, New York, 30 April, 1861: Special Orders No.85, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, dated 24 April, 1861, was countermanded by Orders No.2, Headquarters, 74th New York State Militia, Buffalo, Erie County, County, New York, on 30 April, 1861.

Note: Special Orders No.85, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, dated 24 April, 1861, was countermanded by Special Orders No.105, General Headquarters, State of New York, Adjutant General's Office, Albany, Albany County, New York, on 28 April, 1861.

Buffalo, Erie County, to Elmira, Chemung County, New York, Companies A, H, I, &, K, 3 May, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Companies A, H, I, and K, were accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 1 May, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the New York & Erie Railroad, to Elmira, Chemung County, New York, on 3 May, 1861.

Note: Layton's, Hayward's, and Thomas' Companies were organised at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 22 April, 1861, and Drew's Company was accepted in state service on 30 April, 1861. Drew's, Layton's, Hayward's, and Thomas' Companies, under the command of Senior Captain W H Drew, were stationed at Niagara Market, on Niagara Street, Buffalo, Erie County, New York, and Strong's Company at Heywood Armory or cotton factory, on Court Street, on 3 May, 1861.

Buffalo, Erie County, to Elmira, Chemung County, New York, Companies B, C, D, E, F, & G, 11 May, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Company G, was accepted in state service at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 6 May, 1861; Companies C, E, and F on 7 May, 1861; and Companies B and D on 8 May, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the New York & Erie Railroad, to Elmira, Chemung County, New York, at 4 PM on 11 May, 1861.

Barracks No.4, Young Man's National Agricultural Association Fairgrounds, opposite Fosters Pond, south of Water Street & west of Hoffman Street, one & a half miles west of Elmira, Chemung County, New York, Companies B, C, D, E, F, & G, 14 May, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Companies B, C, D, E, F, and G, were ordered to Barracks No.4, Young Man's National Agricultural Association Fairgrounds, opposite Fosters Pond, south of Water Street and west of Hoffman Street, one and a half miles west of Elmira, Chemung County, New York, in the evening on 14 May, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Barracks No.4, Young Man's National Agricultural Association Fairgrounds, opposite Fosters Pond, south of Water Street & west of Hoffman Street, one & a half miles west of Elmira, Chemung County, New York, 20 May, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Barracks No.4, Young Man's National Agricultural Association Fairgrounds, opposite Fosters Pond, south of Water Street and west of Hoffman Street, one and a half miles west of Elmira, Chemung County, New York, by Captain W L Elliott, United States Mounted Riflemen, on 20 May, 1861.

Barracks No.4, Young Man's National Agricultural Association Fairgrounds, opposite Fosters Pond, south of Water Street & west of Hoffman Street, one & a half miles west of Elmira, Chemung County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 18-19 June, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry (777) was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Elmira Railroad to Washington, D. C., 12 PM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Northern Central Railroad at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, via Williamsport, Lycoming County, and Sunbury, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Baltimore City, Maryland, on 19 June, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at Washington, D. C., via Annaplois Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 2 PM on the same day.

Donnelly's Union House, on Thirteenth Street, & other buildings on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., 19 June, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was stationed at Donnelly's Union House, on Thirteenth Street, and other buildings on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., on 19 June, 1861.

Donnelly's Union House, on Thirteenth Street, & other buildings on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, to Kalorama, in the vicinity of Lyons' Mill, on Rock Creek, D. C., 20 June, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry arrived at Camp Kalorama, Kalorama, in the vicinity of Lyons' Mill, on Rock Creek, D. C., on 20 June, 1861.

Kalorama, in the vicinity of Lyons' Mill, on Rock Creek, D. C., to Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia & the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington D. C., to Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 14 July, 1861.

Disposition of troops in the defenses of Washington, D. C., 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army, Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, Alexandria, Loudoun, & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 17th New York Infantry, Colonel H S Lansing, Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, one mile west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, and King Street Wharf, Alexandria, Virginia; 21st New York Infantry, Colonel W F Rogers, Fort Runyon, junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fort Jackson, Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia; bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 25th New York State Militia, Colonel M K Bryan, Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, two hundred yards south of the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia; 28th New York State Militia, Colonel M P Bennett, Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; blockhouses at Fort Haggerty, opposite Analostan Island, on the Potomac River, Washington, D. C.; Fort Bennett, half a mile north of Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia; Aqueduct Bridge and Ferry, opposite Georgetown, D. C.; 40th New York Infantry, Colonel E J Riley, vicinity of Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C.; 41st New York Infantry, Colonel L Von Gilsa, Washington, D. C.; 5th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel R P McDowell, Alexandria, Virginia; 2nd New York State Militia, Howitzer Corps, Captain T P Mott, Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C.

Disposition of troops, Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, 19 July, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was stationed at Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fort Jackson, Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia; and a bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and assumed command of all the troops not on the march to the front, including those within the various fortifications and camps on 18 July, 1861.

Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia & the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes; Fort Jackson, in the vicinity of Jackson City; & a bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, F, G, H, and I, acting as heavy artillery, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain T Seymour, 5th United States Artillery, Company C, were stationed at Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia; Company E at Fort Jackson, in the vicinity of Jackson City, Alexandria County, Virginia; and Company K at a bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Arlington Mills, Alexandria County, & Baily's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, Companies C & D, 22-23 July, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry, Companies C and D, were ordered to Arlington Mills, Alexandria County, and Baily's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, respectively, on 22 July, 1861, and Company D to Arlington Mills, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 23 July, 1861. A section of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, under the command of First Lieutenant A S Webb, arrived at Arlington Mills, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861, and the 21st New York Infantry, Companies C and D, were ordered to Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A).

Note: The 24th New York Infantry was assigned to guard duty at Arlington Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861 (See the Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Remustered, 2 August, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was remustered in United States service for the unexpired portion of its term of state service on 2 August, 1861.

Mustered out, Buffalo, Erie County, New York, 18 May, 1863: The 21st New York Infantry, under the command of Colonel W F Rogers, was mustered out at Buffalo, Erie County, New York, on 18 May, 1863.

Reserves, defenses of Washington, D. C., 21 July, 1861: The 21st New York Infantry was assigned to the defenses of Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, during and immediately after the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 21st New York Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.