The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Army of Pennsylvania

First Brigade, First Division

Colonel G H Thomas, Second United States Cavalry

First Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry

Lieut. Col. J S Pitman

The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry, under the command of Colonel A E Burnside, was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 10 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad via Baltimore City, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 12 PM on 11 June, 1861. The regiment was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, at 6 AM on 19 June, 1861 (See the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry).
Arrived at Greencastle, Cumberland, Pennsylvania, 10 June, 1861

Sixth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J Nagle

The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 23 April, 1861.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 21, 22, & 23 April, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company B, was mustered in United States service for three months at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, by Captain S G Simmons, 7th United States Infantry, Company H, on 21 April, 1861; Companies A, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I on 22 April, 1861; and Company K on 23 April, 1861.

Organisation of 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, 23 April, 1861: Colonel J Nagle, Lieutenant Colonel J J Siebert, Major J E Wynkoop; Company A, Captain E T Conner; Company B, Captain D B Kauffman; Company C, Captain J K Seigfried; Company D, Captain D Nagle; Company E, Captain I Seitzinger; Company F, Captain H J Hendler; Company G, Captain H Chance; Company H, Captain H C Tower; Company I, Captain J Craig; Company K, Captain T Wilhelm

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 22 April, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad via Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, 7-28 May, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to guard duty on the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad by Special Orders No.27, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 6 May, 1861, and one company was stationed at Newark, Worcester County, Maryland; one company at Chesapeake City, Cecil County, Maryland; one company at North East, Cecil County, Maryland; one company at Charlestown, Cecil County, Maryland; three companies at Elkton, Cecil County, Maryland; and three companies at Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, under the command of Major J E Wynkoop, between 7 and 28 May, 1861.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Harve de Grace, Harford County, Maryland, in the morning on 29 May, 1861.

Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 29-30 May, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarers, Department of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 28 May, 1861, and proceded at 9 AM on 29 May, 1861. The regiment arrived at President Street, Depot Baltimore City, Maryland, in the morning the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 29 May, 1861. The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Carbon or McClure, on the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, via Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 6 AM on 30 May, 1861.

Grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 8 AM on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 18 on 25 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 25 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, at 7 PM on 25 June, 1861.

Downsville to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 1 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 July, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day.

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and was assigned as a reserve during a skirmish the same day. The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Keyes' Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, two miles southwest of Halltown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861, and was ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryand, by Special Orders No.114, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 27 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, at 1 AM on 22 July, 1861. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, the same day and was mustered out on 27 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 21, 22, & 23 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 30 May, 1861

Twenty-first Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J F Ballier

The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry (formerly the Pennsylvania Battalion Rifles, First Brigade, First Division, Pennsylvania Militia) was accepted in state service at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Suffolk Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 25 May, 1861.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 29 April, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Major C F Ruff, United States Mounted Riflemen, and Captain T H Neill, 5th United States Infantry, Company C, on 29 April, 1861.

Organisation of 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, 29 April, 1861: Colonel J F Ballier, Lieutenant Colonel C Ernenwein, Major A Metiter; Company A, Captain A Shields; Company B, Captain A Matzdorf; Company C, Captain J Altmeier; Company D, Captain N Brandon; Company E, Captain B Gessier; Company F, Captain G A Muhleck; Company G, Captain J W Beamish; Company H, Captain A Ledig; Company I, Captain L Voltaire; Company K, Captain J B Kohler

Note: The 20th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Suffolk Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 25 May, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 29-30 May, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by Pennsylvania Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarers, Department of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 28 May, 1861, and proceeded on 29 May, 1861. The regiment arrived at Camp Carbon or McClure, on the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 30 May, 1861.

Grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 18 on 25 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 25 June, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, at 7 PM on 25 June, 1861.

Downsville to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 1 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 July, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day.

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish the same day. The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed across the Potomac River to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 July, 1861.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.133, Headquarters, Department of Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 31 July, 1861, dated 29 July, 1861, and was accepted in United states service for the war on 3 August, 1861.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 8 August, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 8 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 29 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 30 May, 1861

Twenty-third Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. C P Dare

The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry (formerly the 1st Pennsylvania Infantry, Third Brigade, First Division, Pennsylvania Militia) was accepted in state service on 18 April, 1861, and was stationed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 21 April, 1861.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 21 April, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Major C F Ruff, United States Mounted Riflemen, and Captain T H Neill, 5th United States Infantry, Company C, on 21 April, 1861.

Organisation of 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 21 April, 1861: Colonel C P Dare, Lieutenant Colonel D B Birney, Major C Spear; Company A, Captain G W Streets; Company B, Captain J F Glenn; Company C, Captain W Barr; Company D, Captain H K Spear; Company E, Captain J W Hoffman; Company F, Captain J K White; Company G, Captain J Gwyn; Company H, Captain J J Vaughan; Company I, Captain T S Martin; Company K, Captain O F Betson

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, 21 April, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, in the evening on 21 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp Susquehanna, Baltimore Railroad Company Depot Building, Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 4th Pennsylvania Infantry was accompanied by the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Company D, under the command of Captain H K Spear, to Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, at 8 AM on 21 April, 1861 (See the 4th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Distribution of 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 21 April-28 May, 1861: Four companies of the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed at Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, under the command of Colonel C P Dare; two companies at Harve de Grace, Harford County, Maryland, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel D B Birney; two companies at Elkton, Cecil County, Maryland, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain T W Sherman, 3rd United States Artillery (See the 3rd United States Artillery, Light Company E); one company near Bush River; and one company near Gunpowder River between 21 April and 28 May, 1861.

Note: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A and G, were stationed at Aberdeen, Harford County, Maryland, on 16 May, 1861, and the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Harve de Grace, Harford County, Maryland, in the morning on 29 May, 1861.

Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 29-30 May, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarers, Department of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 28 May, 1861, and proceeded at 9 AM on 29 May, 1861. The regiment was accompanied by the 6th Pennsylvania Infantry and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, at 12 PM the same day. The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 29 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Carbon or McClure, on the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, via Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 30 May, 1861.

Note: The 11th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Perryville, Cecil County, Maryland, on 27 May, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: Colonel C P Dare, 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 18 on 25 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 25 June, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, at 7 PM on 25 June, 1861.

Downsville to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 1 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 July, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day.

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The regiment arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and was assigned as support to a section of the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of First Lieutenant D D Perkins, during a skirmish the same day (See the United States Army, Department of Washington). The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Note: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.109, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 31 July, 1861: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 22 July, 1861, and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, at 2 AM on 23 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 29 July, 1861, and was mustered out on 31 July, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 21 April, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 30 May, 1861

Attached

Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop

Capt. T C James

The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was accepted in state service on 15 April, 1861, and was stationed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 13 May, 1861

Note: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to rendezvous at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Point Breeze, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 13 May, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was mustered in United States service for three months at Point Breeze, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Major C F Ruff, United States Mounted Riflemen, at 11 AM on 13 May, 1861.

Organisation of Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, 13 May, 1861: Captain T C James, First Lieutenant R B Price, Second Lieutenant W Camae

Philadelphia to Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 29-30 May, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 29 May, 1861, and arrived on 30 May, 1861. The company was assigned to Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, on 31 May, 1861.

Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning the on 31 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F and K. The company arrived at Camp McClure, on the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg via Shippensburg, Cumberland and Franklin Counties, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861.

Grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was stationed on the Williamsport & Greencastle Turnpike, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 23 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 25 June, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, at 7 PM on 25 June, 1861.

Downsville to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 1 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 July, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day.

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The company arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 2 July, 1861, and was assigned as support to a section of the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Captain E McK Hudson, 14th United States Infantry, during a skirmish at 9 AM the same day (See the United States Army, Department of Washington). The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 & 29 July, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was ordered across the Potomac River to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 July, 1861.

Note: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 17 August, 1861: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was mustered out at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 17 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 13 May, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1 June, 1861

Second United States Battalion Cavalry

Capt. R W Johnson, Second United States Cavalry, Company F

Company A: Capt. J H McArthur
Captain J H McArthur, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company A, was on a leave of absence at San Fransico, San Fransico County, California, on 27 March, 1861, and Second Lieutenant A P Porter, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company A, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Cavalry, Company A, at Fort Mason, Post Oak Hill, Mason County, Texas, on 24 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).
Company C: Capt. W B Royall
Captain J Oakes, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company C, on a leave of absence at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 23 March, 1861, and was apointed major, 2nd United States Cavalry, by General Orders No.24, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 6 April, 1861. First Lieutenant W B Royall, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company C, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Cavalry, Company C, between 23 March and 25 April, 1861, and was appointed captain (not assigned), 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, by General Orders No.24, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 21 March, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).
Company F: Second Lt. J B McIntosh
Captain R W Johnson, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, at Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant E H Lieb, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F, was engaged in the first battle of Bull Run, on 21 July, 1861.
Company K: Capt: C J Whiting

The 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, were ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 31 May, 1861, and were accompanied by the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop. Companies A, C, F, and K arrived at Camp McClure, at the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, via Shippensburg, Cumberland and Franklin Counties, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).

Note: The 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, and the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, were stationed at Camp McClure, at the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861, and the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, were assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1 June, 1861

First Rhode Island Detached Militia Light Artillery (Providence Marine Corps Artillery)

Capt. C H Tompkins

The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 6 PM on 9 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad via Baltimore City, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 10 June, 1861. The company was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Frederick City, Frederick County, Maryland, at 6 AM on 19 June, 1861 (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).
Mustered in United States service for three months on 2 May, 1861, and arrived at Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861

Doubleday's Battalion Infantry

Major A Doubleday, Seventeenth United States Infantry
Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, was apponted major, 17th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 23 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

First United States Artillery

Company E: First Lt. J C Davis
First Lieutenant J C Davis, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.
Company H: Second Lt. N J Hall
Brevet Captain & First Lieutenant T Seymour, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Company G, by General Orders No.8, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 November, 1860, dated 3 April, 1861, and was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Company C, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 December, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G). Captain M Knowlton, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, retired due to incapacity on 26 October, 1861, and First Lieutenant C H Weber, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, was appointed captain, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, by General Orders No.106, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 5 December, 1861, dated 26 October, 1861.

The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, acting as infantry, evacuated Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Major R Anderson, 1st United States Artillery, at 2.30 PM on 14 April, 1861, and was stationed on the the steamer Isabel, in the evening the same day. Companies E and H embarked on the steamer Baltic in the morning on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, at 8 PM the same day. Companies E and H arrived at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, 1 PM on 18 April, 1861.

Note: The steamer Baltic was ordered to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 9 April, 1861, and Major R Anderson, Captains A Doubleday and T Seymour, 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and G, respectively, and the 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, arrived at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, at 1 PM on 19 April, 1861. First Lieutenant C H Weber, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, was stationed at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 14 April, 1861, and the 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, under the command of Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, between 19 April and 2 June, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, 30 April, 1861: 1st United States Artillery (30), Company E, Captain A Doubleday; 1st United States Artillery (32), Company H, First Lieutenant J C Davis, 1st United States Artillery, Company E

Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 3-4 June, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, under the command of Major A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, were ordered to proceed by the tug boat Catiline to Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, at 9 AM on 3 June, 1861, and proceeded by the New Jersey Central Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 11.30 AM the same day. Companies E and H arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Camp Slifer, on the Baltimore Turnpike, one mile east of Chambersburg, Franklin County, via Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861.

Baltimore Turnpike, one mile east of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: Second Lieutenant S E Elder, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, was ordered to Governor's Island, Upper New York Bay, near Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, to secure two 24 pounder pieces and one 8 inch Howitzer on 7 June 1861, and Doubleday's Battalion Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Organisation of Doubleday's Battalion Heavy (Seige) Artillery, 16 June, 1861: Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E; 1st United States Artillery, Company E; First Lieutenant J C Davis; 1st United States Artillery, Company H; Second Lieutenant N J Hall

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were assigned to Doubleday's Battalion Heavy (Seige) Artillery, under the command of Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 16 June, 1861, and to the First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, between 16 June and 28 July, 1861.

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, 17-18 June, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day. Companies E and H were ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Washington, D. C., in the evening on 17 June, 1861, and arrived by the Northern Central Railroad at York, York County, via Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 2 AM on 18 June, 1861. The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were immediately ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day and arrived by the Franklin Railroad on 18 June, 1861.

Note: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was assigned two 24 pounder pieces and one 8 inch Howitzer at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 & 20 June, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM on 20 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers. The battalion arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was was stationed at the cemetery, on the bluffs above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, opposite Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, on 23 June, 1861, and Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, received his commission as major, 17th United States Infantry, at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 28 June, 1861. The 8th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry were assigned to garrison duty at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 2 July, 1861.

Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 8th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A and B (See the Third Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania). The battalion arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 3 July, 1861.

Note: One 30 pounder Parrott rifle was assigned to Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861 (See the Eighth Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 8th Pennsylvania Infantry. The battalion arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861. Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery arrived at Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: A detachment of Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery and two 24 pounder pieces, under the command of Second Lieutenant N J Hall, 1st United States Artillery, Company H, was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike on 13 July, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the detachment was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day. Doubleday's Battalion Heavy (Seige) Artillery was temporarily assigned to the Seventh Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, on 16 July, 1861.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 & 29 July, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered across the Potomac River to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 17th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.36, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Note: Captain A Doubleday was appointed major, 17th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 28 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., on 26 August, 1861. Major A Doubleday, 17th United States Infantry, was assigned to command the heavy artillery at Washington, D. C., on 30 August, 1861.Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania. 4 June, 1861

Philadelphia or McMullen's Independent Rangers

Capt. W McMullen

The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was stationed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 13 May, 1861.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to rendezvous at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861, and a detachment was ordered to proceed on the Delaware River at Washington Wharf, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, under the command of Captain W McMullen, at 2 PM on 25 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 13 May, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was mustered in United States service for three months with eighty-four men of the Moamensing Hose Company at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Captain T H Neill, 5th United States Infantry, Company C, at 12 PM on 13 May, 1861.

Philadelphia to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 2 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 11 AM on 2 June, 1861, and was accompanied Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers. The company arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 5.30 PM the same day.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was assigned as military police to Major General G Patterson's Headquarters at a building opposite the Montgomery Hotel, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 2 June, 1861, and to Doubleday's Battalion Infantry, under the command of Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, on 7 June, 1861. The company was stationed at the Courthouse, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, between 2 and 7 June, 1861.

Chambersburg, Franklin County, to J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 18 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was assigned as a special body guard to Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 16 June, 1861, and was stationed near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 18 and 30 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 30 June, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, in the afternoon on 30 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was temporarily assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, on 28 June, 1861, and arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 AM on 1 July, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The company arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 2 July, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish at 9 AM the same day. The Philadelphia Independent Rangers arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway or Smithfield, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Charlestown to harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 17 August, 1861: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 10 August, 1861, and was accompanied by Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers. The company arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, in the evening on 11 August, 1861, and was mustered out at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 17 August, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three months 20 May, 1861. Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 2 June, 1861

Eighth United States Infantry, Company G

Capt. R I Dodge

The 8th United States Infantry, Company G, was ordered to Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 6 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Slifer, on the Baltimore Turnpike, one mile east of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 7 June, 1861. The company was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 19 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).
Arrived at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, June 1861

Fourth United States Artillery, Light Company F

Capt. D D Perkins

The 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861, and arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 20 June, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Army of the Shenandoah

Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry

Col. J W Geary

The 28th Pennsylvania Infantry was accepted in state service on 13 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Coleman, Oxford Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 20 July, 1861.

Mustered in three years, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 28 June & 3, 4, 6,11, & 20 July, 1861: The 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A and B, were mustered in United States service for three years at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 28 June, 1861; Company C on 3 July, 1861; Company I on 4 July, 1861; Companies D, E, and F on 6 July, 1861; Companies G and H on 11 July, 1861; and Company K on 20 July, 1861.

Note: Governor J W Geary, Pennsylvania, was appointed colonel, 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, on 13 June, 1861, and the Jackson Guards, under the command of Captain R Warden, arrived at Eleventh and Market Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 6 AM on 28 June, 1861.

Organisation of 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 July, 1861: Colonel J W Geary, Lieutenant Colonel G D Korponay, Major H Tyndale; Company A, Captain A Pardle, Jr.; Company B, Captain R Warden; Company C, Captain W Raphail; Company D, Captain G D Hammer; Company E, Captain L F Chapman; Company F, Captain J B Copeland; Company G, Captain C W Meyer; Company H, Captain T J Ahl; Company I, Captain T McDonough; Company K, Captain W H Woodward

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 27-28 July, 1861: The 28th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, at 3 PM on 27 July, 1861, and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 28 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry and the 12th Indiana Infantry. The 28th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 PM the same day (See Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Note: The 28th Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Shenadoah, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861, and to Brigadier General C P Stone's Corps of Observation, Army of the Potomac, on 4 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Geary, near Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 6 August, 1861.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 18 July, 1865: The 28th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 18 July, 1865.
Mustered in United States service for three years 28 June, 1861. Arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861

Second Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry (Thirty-first Pennsylvania Infantry)

Col. W B Mann

The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, also known as the 31st Pennsylvania Infantry, was accepted in state service at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 27 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, Companies A, D, and H, were mustered in state service at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Assistant Adjutant General & Captain H J Biddle, Pennsylvania Volunteers, on 25 May, 1861; Companies B, C, E, G, I, and K on 27 May, 1861; and Company F on 28 May, 1861.

Organisation of 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, 28 May, 1861: Colonel W B Mann, Lieutenant Colonel A L Magilton, Major W McCandless; Company A, Captain G A Woodward; Company B, Captain P McDonough; Company C, Captain J N Byrnes; Company D, Captain R Ellis; Company E, Captain J O Finnie; Company F, Captain T F Bringhurst; Company G, Captain E M Woodward; Company H, Captain T Mealey; Company I, Captain W Knox; Company K, Captain P J Smith

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, Company I, was disbanded on 27 August, 1861.

Philadelphia to Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, 29 May, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, on 29 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Washington, the Fairgrounds, Farmers and Mechanic's Institute, near Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, the same day.

Note: Colonel W B Mann, 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, was assigned to command Camp Washington, the Fairgrounds, Farmers and Mechanic's Institute, near Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, between 29 May and 24 July, 1861.

Easton, Northampton County, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 24 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 9 AM on 24 July, 1861, and arrived by Lebabon Valley Railroad at Camp Curtin, the Dauphin County Agricultural Society, near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 4 PM the same day.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, to Baltimore City, Maryland, 25 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Baltimore City, Maryland, in the morning on 25 July, 1861, and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, in the afternoon the same day.

Baltimore City to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 28 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry and the 12th Indiana Infantry (See Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania). The regiment arrived at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 PM on 28 July, 1861.

Mustered in three years, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 1 August, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was mustered in United States service for three years at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 1 August, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Shenadoah, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 6 June, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, under the command of Colonel W McCandless, was mustered out, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 6 June, 1861.
Mustered in United States service for three years 1 August, 1861. Stationed at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 July-1 August, 1861

Sources

"The Philadelphia City Troop, with 400 regular cavalry, left here this morning for Shippensburg. It is supposed they will proceed to Chambersburg."

The National Republican, 3 June, 1861 - Carlisle, 31 May, 1861

"These historic troops, one hundred and twenty strong, under command of Captain Doubleday, left Fort Hamilton, New York Harbour, on board the tug boat Catiline, for Jersey City, at nine o'clock Monday morning, en route by rail for Chambersburg, Pennsylvania."

The National Republican, 5 June, 1861 - The Fort Sumter Garrison

"An advance brigade of Federal troops, under Colonel Thomas, reached Greencastle, thirteen mile south of Chambersburg, today.."

The Evening Star, 8 June, 1861 - Hagerstown, 7 June, 1861

"On Saturday. 15th instant, General Cadwallder reached this place, from Greencastle, with six regiments, among whom were the Rhode Island regiment, McMullen's rangers, and the Fort Sumter boys, and never did soldiers receive a more hearty welcome than did they in our town."

The National Republican, 20 June, 1861 - The crossing of the troops from Williamsport, 18 June, 1861

"The 6th, 21st and 23d Pennsylvania regiments marched to Falling Waters last night from Williamsport. Col. Thomas' cavalry, including the First City Troop, is with them."

The Evening Star, 28 June, 1861 - Hagerstown, 26 June, 1861

Rhody Redlegs: A history of the Providence Marine Corps of Artillery and the 103d Field Artillery, Rhode Island National Guard 1801-2010, by Robert Grandchamp, Jane Lancaster, and Cynthia Ferguson

Narrative of the campaign of the First Rhode Island Regiment, in the spring and summer of 1861, by Augustus Woodbury

History of Company F, 1st Regiment, R.I. Volunteers, during the spring and summer of 1861, by Charles H Clarke

Abner Doubleday: A Civil War biography, by Thomas Barthel

Colonel Richard Irving Dodge: The life and times of a career army officer, by Wayne R Kime

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866-67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U.S. Army

Philadelphia politics from the bottom up: The life of Irishman William McMullen, 1824-1901, by Harry C Silcox

Philadelphia in the Civil War 1861-1865, by Frank H Taylor

Reminiscences of the war, or, incidents which transpired in and about Chambersburg, during the War of the Rebellion, by J Hoke

The life of Major General George H. Thomas, by Thomas Van Horne

Across the continent with the Fifth Cavalry, by George Frederic Price

General George H. Thomas: A biography of the Union's rock of Chickamauga, by Robert P Broadwater

Official Army Register for September 1861, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, 1 September, 1861

History of the Pennsylvania Reserve Corps: A complete record of the organization; and of the different companies, regiments and brigades; containing descriptions of expeditions, marches, skirmishes, and battles; together with biographical sketches of officers and personal records of each man during his term of service; compiled from official reports and other documents, by J R Sypher

A narrative of the campaign in the Valley of the Shenandoah in 1861, by Robert Patterson

History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-5, prepared in complience with acts of the legislation, Volume 1, by Samuel P Bates

Notes

First Fort Sumter Relief Expedition, 5-12 January, 1861

A detachment of two hundred men of the United States General Service Recruits, were stationed at Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, under the command of Major T H Holmes, 8th United states Infantry, on 4 January, 1861 (See the Reserve Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 5-9 January, 1861: A detachment of two hundred men of the United States General Service Recruits, under the command of First Lieutenant C R Woods, 9th United states Infantry, Company B, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Star of the West to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, at 6 PM on 5 January, 1861, and arrived at 1.30 AM on 9 January, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry).

Steamer Star of the West, 5 January, 1861: Detachment of United States General Service Recruits (200); First Lieutenant C R Woods, 9th United States Infantry, Company B; First Lieutenant W A Webb, 5th United States Infantry, Company A; Second Lieutenant C W Thomas, 1st United States Infantry, Company C

Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, to Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, 9-12 January, 1861: A detachment of two hundred men of the United States General Service Recruits, under the command of First Lieutenant C R Woods, 9th United states Infantry, Company B, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Star of the West to Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, on 9 January, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 12 January, 1861.

Note: A detachment of two hundred men of the United States General Service Recruits, under the command of First Lieutenant C R Woods, 9th United states Infantry, Company B, disembarked at Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, in the morning on 13 January, 1861.

Second Fort Sumter Relief Expedition, 9-18 April, 1861

The United States General Service Recruits, Companies C (67) and D (100), under the command of First Lieutenant C R Woods, 9th United states Infantry, Company B, were stationed at Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, on 7 April, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the steam tug R L Mabey to the steamer Baltic at 3 PM on 8 April, 1861.

Note: The United States General Service Recruits, Company D, was stationed at Fort Wood, Bedloe's Island, New York Harbour, under the command of First Lieutenant R I Dodge, 8th United States Infantry, Company G, on 7 April, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, on 8 April, 1861.

Fort Columbus, Governor's Island, New York Harbour, to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 9-12 April, 1861: The United States General Service Recruits, Companies C and D, embarked on the steamer Baltic at 5 PM on 8 April, 1861, and were ordered to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 9 April, 1861. The steamer Baltic arrived at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, at 3 AM on 12 April, 1861.

Steamer Baltic, 9 April, 1861: United States General Service Recruits, Companies C (67) and D (100); First Lieutenant E McK. Hudson, 4th United States Artillery, Company K; First Lieutenant R O Tyler, 3rd United States Artillery, Company H; Second Lieutenant C W Thomas, 1st United States Infantry, Company C

Note: First Lieutenant E McK. Hudson, 4th United States Artillery, Company K; First Lieutenant R O Tyler, 3rd United States Artillery, Company H; and Second Lieutenant C W Thomas, 1st United States Infantry, Company C, were ordered to Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 9 April, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, 15-18 April, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, under the command of Major R Anderson, embarked on the steamer Baltic in the morning on 15 April, 1861, and were ordered to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, at 8 PM the same day. The steamer Baltic arrived at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, at 1 PM on 18 April, 1861.

Note: The United States General Service Recruits, Companies C and D, were ordered to Fort Wood, Bedloe's Island, New York Harbour, on 18 April, 1861.

Steamer Baltic, 15 April, 1861: United States General Service Recruits, Companies C (67) and D (100); 1st United States Artillery, Company E (30), Captain A Doubleday and First Lieutenant J C Davis; 1st United States Artillery, Company H (32), Second Lieutenant N J Hall; First Lieutenant E McK. Hudson, 4th United States Artillery, Company K; First Lieutenant R O Tyler, 3rd United States Artillery, Company H; Second Lieutenant C W Thomas, 1st United States Infantry, Company C; Captain J G Foster, First Lieutenant G W Synder, and Second Lieutenant R K Meade, Jr., United States Corps Engineers (See the United States Corps Engineers)

Army of Pennsylvania

The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry arrived at Camp Carbon or McClure, on the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 30 May, 1861; the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, and the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, at Camp McClure, at the grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, one mile north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 1 June, 1861; the Philadelphia Independent Rangers at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 2 June, 1861; the 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, at Camp Slifer, on the Baltimore Turnpike, one mile east of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 4 June, 1861; the 8th United States Infantry, Company G, in the morning on 7 June, 1861; and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 11 June, 1861.

Note: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, was assigned to command the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

Organisation of First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry: 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J Nagle; 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J F Ballier; 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel C P Dare; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, Captain R W Johnson, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F; Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, Captain T C James; Doubleday's Battalion Infantry, Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery

Grounds of A K McClure, on Main or Front Street, north of Chambersburg, Franklin County, to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 7 June, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 7 June, 1861, and arrived near J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery arrived by the Cumberland Valley Railroad at Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 10 June, 1861, and in the morning on 11 June, 1861, respectively, and were accompanied by Governor W Sprague.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, three miles southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry & 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, 11 June, 1861: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, under the command of Colonel A E Burnside, was ordered to Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 11 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Duncan, on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, three miles southwest of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, at 12 PM the same day.

Organisation of First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 11 June, 1861: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry: 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J Nagle; 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J F Ballier; 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel C P Dare; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, Captain R W Johnson, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F; Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, Captain T C James; Doubleday's Battalion Infantry, Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery; 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry, Colonel A E Burnside; 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, Captain C H Tompkins

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; the Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop; and Doubleday's Battalion Infantry were assigned to the First Brigade, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, on 10 June, 1861.

J M Brown's Mill, on Muddy Run, three miles north of Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 15 June, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 PM the same day.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Hitchcock, on the Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry, a section of the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, and the 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were stationed at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 16 and 17 June, 1861, and two sections of the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery were stationed at Camp Hitchcock, on the Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 June, 1861.

Organisation of Doubleday's Battalion Heavy (Seige) Artillery, 16 June, 1861: Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E; 1st United States Artillery, Company E; First Lieutenant J C Davis; 1st United States Artillery, Company H; Second Lieutenant N J Hall

Note: The 1st United States Artillery, Companies E and H, were assigned to Doubleday's Battalion Heavy (Seige) Artillery, under the command of Captain A Doubleday, 1st United States Artillery, Company E, and the Philadelphia Independent Rangers was assigned as a special body guard to Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers, at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 16 June, 1861.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 8th United States Infantry, Company G; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, & K; & two sections of 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, 17 June, 1861: The 8th United States Infantry, Company G; the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; and two sections of the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery were ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 17 June, 1861.

Note: Colonel C P Dare, 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, was assigned to command the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, at Camp Hitchcock, on the Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 June, 1861.

Williamsport to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry; 8th United States Infantry, Company G; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, & K; Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery; & 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, 17 June, 1861: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry; the 8th United States Infantry, Company G; the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery; and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 17 June, 1861.

Note: The 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 17 June, 1861 (See the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry & the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, 17-19 June, 1861: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, under the command of Colonel A Burnside, 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry, were ordered to Washington, D. C, in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Frederick City via Hagerstown, Washington County, and Middletown, Frederick County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 18 June, 1861. The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Infantry and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery were ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 7 PM the same day and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Relay House, on the junction of the Washington Branch and Baltimore & Ohio Railroads, near Elkridge Landing, Howard County, Maryland, at 6 AM on 19 June, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, to Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 8th United States Infantry, Company G, & 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, & K, 17-18 June, 1861: The 8th United States Infantry, Company G, and the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, were ordered to proceed by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening on 17 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K. The 8th United States Infantry, Company G, and the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, arrived two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, to York, York County, Pennsylvania, Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery, 17-18 June, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery arrived at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 17 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Franklin Railroad to Washington, D. C., in the evening the same day. The battalion arrived at York, York County, via Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 2 AM on 18 June, 1861, and were immediately ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, the same day. Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery arrived at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861.

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 8th United States Infantry, Company G, 18-20 June, 1861: The 8th United States Infantry, Company G, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K, and the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K. Company G arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 1 AM on 20 June, 1861.

Potomac River, near Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, & 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, 18 June, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, under the command of Colonel C P Dare, 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, were ordered across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles east of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, the same day.

Note: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, and the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry were stationed on the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 18 and 25 June, 1861.

Hagerstown, Washington County, Pennsylvania, to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery, 20 June, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM on 20 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Note: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was assigned two 24 pounders pieces and one 8 inch Howitzer at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861.

Organisation of First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 23 June, 1861: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry; 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J Nagle; 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J F Ballier; 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel C P Dare; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, Captain R W Johnson, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F; Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop, Captain T C James

Greencastle & Williamsport Turnpike, two miles above Williamsport, to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, 25 June, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening on 25 June, 1861.

Note: The Philadelphia Independent Rangers was temporarily assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, on 28 June, 1861, and arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 8 AM on 1 July, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Downsville to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, 1 July, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 July, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day.

Note: The 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, arrived at Downsville, Washington County, Maryland, on 30 June, 1861, and was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, the same day (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Skirmish at Falling Waters or Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 2 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Potomac River at Lemon's Ferry, near Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 AM the same day. The First Brigade arrived at Porterfield's Farm, between Falling Waters and Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 July, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish the same day. The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, arrived at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Note: The Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, was assigned as support to a section of the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Captain E McK Hudson, 14th United States Infantry, on 2 July, 1861, and was accompanied by Major General R Patterson, Majors R B Price and C Biddle, Colonel W C Patterson, Captain J Newton, the Philadelphia Independent Rangers, the 1st Wisconsin Infantry and the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania). A section of 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of First Lieutenant D D Perkins, was assigned to the First Brigade, First Divison, Army of Pennsylvania, on 2 July, 1861, and was supported by the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry; the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry; the 6th Pennsylvania Infantry; the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop; the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; McMullen's Independent Rangers; and Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery were stationed at Hoke Run, near Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Hoke Run, near Hainesville to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to proceed by the Williamsport & Martinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at 12 PM the same day.

Note: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 3 July, 1861, and was accompanied by 8th Pennsylvania Infantry, Companies A and B (See the Third Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Washington, D. C, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery, 4 July, 1861: The 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery arrived at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 4 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry (See the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Note: The 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, was assigned to the Seventh Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania, and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery to the First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, on 8 July, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Organisation of First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, 15 July, 1861: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry: 6th Pennsylvania Infantry; 21st Pennsylvania Infantry; 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; Philadelphia City Cavalry, 1st Troop; 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery; 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F

Martinsburg, Berkeley County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15-17 July, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The First Brigade was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Middleway, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day.

Keyes' Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, two miles southwest of Halltown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 6th Pennsylvania Infantry, 20 July, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was stationed at Keyes' Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, two miles southwest of Halltown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

Note: The 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, by Special Orders No.109, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861, and the 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryand, by Special Orders No.114, Headquarters, Department of Pennsylvania, Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.

Charlestown to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: Major General R Patterson, Pennsylvnia Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 27 July, 1861, and Brevet Major General & Brigadier General G Cadwallader, Pennsylvania Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861.

Army of the Shenandoah

Major General N P Banks, United States Volunteers, was assigned to command the Army of the Pennsylvania, Headquarters in the field, by General Orders No.46, Paragraph II, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, and arrived by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861. He assumed command of the Department of the Shenadoah at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Note: Major General J A Dix, United States Volunteers, was assigned to command the Department of Maryland, Headquarters at Baltimore City, Maryland, and the Department of Pennsylvania was renamed the Department of the Shenandoah by General Orders No.46, Paragraph II, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861 (See the Departments of Maryland and Annapolis).

General Orders No.47, Paragragh I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., 25 July, 1861: The counties of Washington and Allegheny in Maryland and such other parts of Virginia as may be covered by the Army in its operations were added to the Department of the Shenandoah; the counties of Pronce George, Montgomery, and Frederick were added to the Department of Washington; the remainder of Maryland and all Pennsylvania and Delaware constituted the Department of Pennsylvania, Headquarters at Baltimore City, Maryland; and the Department of Washington and the Department of Northeastern Virginia, constituted a geographical Division, Headquarters Washington, D. C., by General Orders No.47, Paragragh I, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 25 July, 1861.

Note: The Army of the Shenadoah was organised by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Maryland Heights & Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 2nd Massachusetts Infantry, 25 July, 1861: The 2nd Massachusetts Infantry, Companies B, D, E, F, H, I, and K, and three 13 pounder James Rifles of the 1st Rhode Detached Militia Artillery were stationed at Maryland Heights, opposite, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel G H Gordon, 2nd Massachusetts Infantry, on 25 July, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 28 July, 1861: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry; the 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K; the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop; the 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F; and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery were ordered across the Potomac River to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 July, 1861.

Note: The 21st Pennsylvania Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Special Orders No.133, Headquarters, Department of Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 31 July, 1861, dated 29 July, 1861, and the 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island, by Special Orders No.141, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, in the evening on 29 July, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery, 28 July, 1861: Doubleday's Battalion Heavy Artillery was ordered across the Potomac River to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 28 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Colonel J J Abercrombie, 7th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Organisation of First Brigade, Army of the Shenadoah, 29 July, 1861: Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry; 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, Colonel W B Mann; 19th New York Infantry, Colonel J S Clark (See the Eighth Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania); 28th New York Infantry, Colonel D Donnelly (See the Eighth Brigade, Third Division, Army of Pennsylvania); 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel J W Geary; Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, Captain T C James; 2nd United States Cavalry, Companies A, C, F, and K, Captain R W Johnson, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company F; 9th New York State Militia Infantry, Company K, Captain T B Bunting (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania); 2nd Rhode Island Light Artillery, Captain W H Reynolds (See the 2nd Rhode Island Light Artillery)

Note: The First Brigade, Army of the Shenadoah, was organised by General Orders No.36, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of the Shenandoah, Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, on 29 July, 1861.

Baltimore City to Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry & 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, 28 July, 1861: The 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry and the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry arrived by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Sandy Hook, Washington County, Maryland, at 4 PM on 28 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, & Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 27 & 31 July & 8 & 17 August, 1861: The 6th Pennsylvania Infantry was mustered out at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 27 July, 1861; the 23rd Pennsylvania Infantry at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 31 July, 1861; the 21st Pennsylvania Infantry, on 8 August, 1861; and the Philadelphia Independent Rangers and the Philadelphia City Cavalry, First Troop, on 17 August, 1861.

Colonel G H Thomas, First Brigade, First Division, Army of Pennsylvania: Lieutenant Colonel R E Lee, 2nd United States Cavalry, resigned on 16 March, 1861, and Major G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd United States Cavalry, at Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, by General Orders No.24, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 25 April, 1861. Colonel A S Johnston, 2nd United States Cavalry, resigned on 3 May, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, was appointed colonel, 2nd United States Cavalry, by General Orders No.24, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 3 May, 1861. Colonel G H Thomas, 2nd United States Cavalry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 August, 1861, and resigned on 28 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.3: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp178-179
Colonel G H Thomas, Second United States Cavalry, dated near Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT No.4: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp179-180
First Lieutenant D D Perkins, Fourth United States Artillery, dated near Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 4 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT No.9: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp185-186
Captain E McK Hundson, Fourteenth United States Infantry, First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, dated Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861