The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Unassigned, Army of the Shenandoah

Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry

Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry

First Virginia Cavalry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861. Stationed in the rear between Ball's and Island Fords, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL J E B STUART
J E B Stuart was appointed lieutenant colonel, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.34, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed colonel, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861, and was assigned to command the cavalry of the Army of the Shenandoah on 21 July, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL F LEE
First Lieutenant F Lee, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company B, resigned dated 21 May, 1861, and was appointed first lieutenant, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 3 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861. First Lieutenant F Lee, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.96, Paragraph X, Adjutan & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 13 July, 1861, and was appointed acting assistant adjutant general to Brigadier General R S Ewell, Confederate States Army, on 21 July, 1861. He was appointed as lieutenant colonel, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 29 September, 1861.

MAJOR R SWAN
R Swan was appointed major, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861.

Company A Newtown Light Dragoons: CAPT. J H DRAKE
The company was accepted in state service at Newtown, Frederick County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and Second Lieutenant J S Larrick, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company A, was assigned to command 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company A, during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company B Berkeley Troop: CAPT. J B HOGE
The company was accepted in state service at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861. Captain J B Hoge, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company B, resigned at Camp Onward, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 August, 1861.
Company C First Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1: CAPT. M X WHITE, Jr.
The company was accepted in state service at Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861.
Company D (1st) Clarke Cavalry: CAPT. J F HARDESTY
The company was accepted in state service at Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861. Captain J F Hardesty, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company D, resigned in the morning on 21 July, 1861, and H M Nelson was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company D, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day. First Lieutenant W Taylor, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company D, was assigned to command the company during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and Captain J F Hardesty's, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company D, resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.127, Paragraph XV, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 August, 1861, and the company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, by Special Orders No.414, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 October, 1861.
Company E Valley Rangers or New Hope Cavalry: CAPT. W PATRICK
The company was accepted in state service at New Hope or Waynesboro, Augusta County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861.
Company F Shepherdstown Troop: CAPT. W A MORGAN
The company was accepted in state service at Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861.
Company G (1st) Fauquier Mountain Rangers: CAPT. T Turner
The company was accepted in state service at Markham, Fauquier County, Virginia, under the command of Captain T Ashby, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. The company was assigned to picket duty at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year as the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry).
Company G (2nd) Amelia Light Dragoons: CAPT. C R IRVING
The company was accepted in state service at Amelia Courthouse, on the Richmond & Danville Railroad, Amelia County, Virginia, under the command of Captain S S Weisiger, on 9 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day (See the Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac). The company was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.206, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 8 July, 1861. The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G (2nd), at Camp Jeff Davis, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, and Captain S S Weisiger, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G (2nd), was accidentally wounded in the leg at Amelia Courthouse, on the Richmond & Danville Railroad, Amelia County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861. His resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.128, Paragraph X, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861, dated 19 August, 1861, and First Lieutenant C R Irving, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G (2nd), was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G (2nd), at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.
Company H Loudoun Light Horse: CAPT. R W CARTER
The company was accepted in state service at Union, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and arrived at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 28 April, 1861. The company was assigned to Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, between 28 April and 9 June, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry). The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company H, at Camp Jeff Davis, two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 16 June, 1861.
Company I Harrisonburg Cavalry: CAPT. T L YANCEY
The company was accepted in state service at Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, dated 21 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 May, 1861.
Company K (1st) Rockingham Cavalry or River Rangers: CAPT. E S YANCEY
The company was accepted in state service at McGaheysville, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861. The company arrived at Wichester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861, and was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861. the company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company C, by Special Orders No.414, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 October, 1861.
Company L (1st)/D (2nd) Washington Mounted Rifles: CAPT. W E JONES
The company was accepted in state service at Abingdon, Washington County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.63, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861, dated 21 June, 1861. The company was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.206, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 8 July, 1861. The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company L (1st)/D (2nd), at Camp Jeff Davis, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, and Captain W E Jones, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company L (1st)/d (2nd), was appointed colonel, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 28 September, 1861.
Company L (2nd) Gloucester Light Dragoons: CAPT. J W PULLER
The company was accepted at Gloucester Courthouse, Gloucester County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and mustered in state service at Gloucester Point, Gloucester County, Virginia, by Major P R Page, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 10 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 26th Virginia Infantry between 31 August, 1861, and 28 February, 1862, and temporarily assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry on (?) April, 1862. The company was assigned to the 5th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, by Special Orders No.146, Adjutant & Inspector Generla's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 June, 1862.
Company M/K (2nd) Howard Dragoons: CAPT. G R GAITHER, Jr.
The company was ordered to rendezvous at Ellicott's Mills, on the Patapsco River, Baltimore County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to Major General G H Steuart, Maryland Militia, at Baltimore City, Maryland, in the afternoon on 20 April, 1861. The company was accepted in state of Virginia service for the war at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was stationed at Edward's Ferry, on the Potomac River, three and a half miles southwest of Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 14 June, 1861. The company was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, on 17 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry). The company was ordered to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861, and declined service with the 7th Virginia Cavalry due to dissatisfaction on 17 July, 1861. The company was ordered to Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies M/K (2nd), at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company K, by Special Orders, No.185, Paragragh X, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 August, 1864.
Company N Natchez Cavalry or Adams Troop: CAPT. W T MARTIN
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, on 13 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by steamer on the Mississippi River to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861. Th company arrived at Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee, on 12 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Memphis & Charleston Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad on 23 June, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Major & Assistant Adjutant General H L Clay, Confederate States Army, on 26 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 June, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861, and was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.215, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, dated 8 July, 1861, and was accompanied by Boykin's Mounted Rangers and the Texas Rangers (See Boykin's Mounted Rangers). The company arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, the same day and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.253, Paragraph V, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 August, 1861, dated 17 August, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 August, 1861, and was temporarily assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company N, at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 August, 1861. The Natchez Cavalry or Adams Troop and the Chickasaw Rangers were assigned to the 2nd Mississippi Battalion Cavalry, Companies A and B, under the command of Acting Major & Captain W T Martin, Natchez Cavalry or Adams Troop, on 30 September, 1861, and the Natchez Cavalry or Adams Troop, the Chickasaw Rangers, the Southern guards, and the Sumter Mounted Guards to the 2nd Mississippi Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, and D, under the commaond of Major W T Martin, at Camp Cooper, two and a half miles east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Major W T Martin, by Special Orders No.188, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 October, 1861. The 2nd Mississippi Battalion Cavalry was designated the Jeff Davis Legion, Mississippi Cavalry, on 7 December, 1861.
Company O Sumter Mounted Guards: CAPT. W M STONE
The company was accepted in Confedearte service at Livingston, Sumter County, Alabama, on 29 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Montgomery, Montgomery, County, Alabama, on 10 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd Mississippi Battalion Cavalry, Company D, at Camp Cooper, two and a half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Major W T Martin, by Special Orders No.188, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 October, 1861.

Sources

"Amelia Co., Va., 17 April, 1861 - We are all ready and prepared for any emergency. The gallant Weisiger has his Troop encamped at Amelia Court House.The Amelia Rifles and Greys will be in today. Capt. E. Harvie, of the Southern Confederacy Army, is with us, drilling the companies."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 18 April, 1861 - Amelia in the field, and ready for the conflict

"By order of Gen. Harman, the Rockbridge Rifles (Capt. Letcher) left today at 1 o'clock for Staunton. They number near 100 able-bodied men. This evening the Rockbridge Troop, (Capt. White,) 80 strong, leave for Staunton, and the Troop in the lower end of our county, (Capt. McNutt,) goes with them."

The Staunton Spectator, 20 April, 1861 - Troops in motion

"The New Hope Cavalry, Capt. Patrick, started Friday on the same route."

The Staunton Spectator, 23 April, 1861 - Marching of troops

"The Howard Dragoons, Capt. Gaither, from Howard county, reached the city yesterday afternoon, and reported at headquarters."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 24 April, 1861 - Affairs at Baltimore

"Capt. Weisiger, of one of the Amelia troops, accidently shot himself in the leg with a pistol on Friday, at Amelai Court House, inflicting a flesh wound four inches in length. He will, however, soon be ready for service."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 1 May, 1861 - Accident

"The Amelia Troop, 70 strong, Lieut. Irving commanding, arrived in the city yesterday evening, and were quartered at Trinity Church, Franklin street. Their baggage arrived by the cars early in the day. The troop leaves for Ashland today, at ten o'clock."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 10 May, 1861 - Amelia Troop

"Camp Ashland, Hanover co., Va., 12 May, 1861 - Among the troops encamped here are the following companies: Cavalry - Governor's Guard; Chesterfield, company B; Hanover Troop; Henrico Troop; Amelia Light Dragoons."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 14 May, 1861 - From the camp at Ashland

"The First Regiment of Virginia Volunteer Cavalry has been made up as follows: 1. Chesterfield Troop, Capt. Wm. M. Ball; 2. Gov.'s Mounted Guard, Richmond, Capt. J. G. Cabell; 3. Hanover Troop, Capt. Wms. C. Wickham; 4. Henrico Troop, Capt. Z. S. McGruder; 5. Amelia Troop, Capt. S. S. Weisiger; 6. Goochland Troop, Capt. Julian Harrison; 7. Meckenburg Troop, Capt. Thomas F. Goode; 8. Pittsylvania Troop, Capt. C. E. Flourney; 9. Cumberland Troop, Capt. Henry R. Johnson; 10. Charlotte Troop, Capt. John G. Smith. This regiment goes at once into a camp of instruction, at Ashland, under the command of Lieut. Col. R. S. Ewell, late of the U. S. Army."

The Richmond Enquirer, 17 May, 1861 - Cavalry regiment

"Harper's Ferry, 21 May - There is a considerable force below us at the Point of Rocks, prepared to resist the passage of troops over the Bridge or up the Railroad. Among the Virginia forces there, we hear of Capt. Ashby's Mounted Rangers, Capt. Roger's Loudoun Artillery, a part of Capt. Imboden's command from this post, Capt. Carter's Company of Cavalry, and Captain Winfield's Company of Rifles."

The Alexandria Gazette, 23 May, 1861 - Letter from Harper's Ferry

"Harrisonburg, 23 May, 1861 - The Cavalry company have just left, having received orders on Tuesday. They are commanded by capt. Tom Yancey, of this town, a very able and facetious lawyer and State's Attorney."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 May, 1861 - Affairs in Rockingham

"Capt. E. S. Yancey's troop of Cavalry, the River Rangers;, moved from Harrisonburg, on Wednesday last, under orders. Tbey were ordered to Harper's Ferry. It is a fine looking company of gallant young men, with strong arms and brave hearts, who will do honor to old Rockingham wherever they may be placed."

The Staunton Spectator, 4 June, 1861

"Winchester, Va., 4 June, 1861 - On thursday last a splendid troop of cavalry from Rockingham county, under the command of captain Yancey, from McGaheysville, passed through town. Captain Yancey is the third brother who have command of volunteers from that county, one of whom is in command of another troop of horse, and the other of a company of light infantry."

The Staunton Spectator, 8 June, 1861 - From Winchester

"Capt. S. S. Weisiger, Amelia Light Dragoons, has sufficiently recovered from an accidental wound, and has assumed the command of his company, now at Ashland."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 12 June, 1861

"We learn from a reliable source that a skirmias took place, on Friday last, near Williamsport, Md., between Capt. R. W. Carter's Loudoun Cavalry and an advance party of Federal troops stationed on the Maryland side of the river."

The Democratic Mirror (Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia), 13 June, 1861 - Skirmishes in Berkeley and Prince William, Twenty-one of the enemy bagged

"Harrisonburg Cavalry - Another gallant soldier gone - We learn that our young friends, George W. Messick, son of Gessner Messick, of this vicinity, a member of Captain T. L. Yancey’s troop of cavalry, was killed in the battle of Sunday last, near Manassas Junction. He had, we learn, been ordered to make a charge for the rescue of some prisoners, when he received a shot in the head, which killed him instantly. He was a gallant soldier, and met his death like a patriot."

Richmond Daily Dispatch, 29 July, 1861: Another gallant soldier gone

"In the great battle of the 21st, four Rockbridge companies, to wit: the College company, under Capt. White (James,) the Rifle company, under Capt. Letcher, the Grays, under Capt. Updike. and the Rockbridge Artillery, under Capt. Pendleton, (besides Yeatman's company, more than half from Rockdridge,) were in the hottest of the fight, and drove the Zouaves before them at the point of the bayonet. I send you herewith a printed list of killed and wounded in those companies, as far as yet ascertained. I believe Captain M. X. White's Horse Company was also in the fight, but I have received no account of it."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, , 2 August, 1861: The Rockbridge Troop!

"Col. J. E. B. Stuart arranged the companies so that the first organized were in advance; the oldest being Capt. Carter's, as it was a company prior to John Brown's invasion. At the time when the New York Zouaves were attempting to outflank Capt. Imboden's battery, (which had done such able service,) Col. Stuart gave the order to charge to the Cavalry, which was gallantly and daringly obeyed by the Loudoun Cavalry. Leaping a fence, and through balls thick enough to blind them, they succeeded in breaking the lines of the Zouaves, who were around Sherman's battery, which rendered that an easy conquest afterwards. This was the only company who charged at that time, owing, it is thought, to the fact that the Clark Cavalry did not understand the command; hence the dreadful havoc in Captain Carter's ranks, who charged forward with only thirty-three men. (Messrs. J. T. Carter, Gus Carter, T. Leath, C. Shamlin, Plaster, and F. Carter having been detailed on other duty, were absent)."

Richmond Daily Dispatch, 5 August, 1861 - Report of Captain Welby Carter's company

Books/ Manuscripts

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 69, Serial No.81: Record of events for First Virginia Cavalry, May 1861-August 1864, edited by James B. Hewett

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series, First Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by R. J. Driver, Jr.

In memory of self and comrades: Thomas Wallace Colley's recollections of Civil War service in the 1st Virginia Cavalry, edited by Michael K. Shaffer - Voices of the Civil War, Michael P. Gray, Series Edition

Roster of the Amelia Troop, which constituted Company 'G,' First Regiment Virginia Cavalry, from the beginning to the end of the Confederate war: Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume XXXVIII, pp16-21, compiled by George M. Wilson

"The cavalry under Stuart's command in June 1861, numbered only twenty-one officers and three hundred and thirteen men present for duty."

The life and campaigns of Major General J. E. B Stuart, commander of the cavalry of the Army of Northern Virginia, by H. B. McClellan, A. M., late Major, Assistant Adjutant General, and Chief of Staff of the Cavalry Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

With pen & saber: The letters and diaries of J. E. B. Stuart's staff officers, by Robert J. Trout

War years with JEB Stuart, by Lieut. Colonel W. W. Blackford, C. S. A.

"This company, with eleven other companies, consituted then the 1st Regiment of cavalry, and was commanded by Colonel J. E. B. Stuart until after First Manassas, in which battle he charged Heintzelman's Zouaves with Company D and the Loudoun company. The gallant Lieutenant David H. Allen was killed, F. H. Calmes and Magner were wounded in this charge, and nine men of Loudoun company killed."

Company D, Clarke Cavalry, history and roster of this command, which fought gallantly: Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume XXIV, p145-151, by Joseph H. Shepherd, from the Richmond Dispatch, 19 April, 1896

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series, Sixth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by M. Musick

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I. A. Wallace, Jr.

"When we left the Valley, Stuart sent Captain Patrick's company to watch Patterson, whose army was in camp at Charles Town, and to screen the transfer of the army to the east of the Blue Ridge."

"Our regiment was divided during the battle, and the squadron to which I belonged was placed under a Major Swan, a Marylander."

"Our regiment had been divided in the morning; half was taken to charge the enemy early in the action and the remaining part (ours and Amelia Co.) were held as a reserve, to cover the retreat of our forces, if unsuccessful, and to take advantage of any favorable moment."

The memoirs of Colonel John S. Mosby, by John S. Mosby

Private John S. Mosby, First Virginia Cavalry: Picketing Fairfax County before becoming the Confederacy's "Gray Ghost", by Gregory P. Mosby

Letter by Second Sergeant John H. Ervine, First Virginia Cavalry, Company I, Berkeley County, 18 June, 1861, Virginia Military Institute

William Edmondson "Grumble" Jones: The life of a cantankerous Confederate, by James Buchanan Ballard

"We had almost daily skirmishing with the Federal Army until we were ordered to Manassas, 19th July, 1861. July 21st, 1861, about 2 o'clock P. M. the first regiment was ordered to charge the New York Zouaves. My captain and 1st Lieut. being absent, I was in command of my Co.; 1st Sergt. Holmes Conrad (V. M. I., '58), 2nd in command; loss: 11 horses killed, no men."

The Corps forward: The biographical sketches of the VMI Cadets who fought in the battle of New Market, 136, James Septimus Larrick, by Colonel William Couper

"This was Scotts grand effort and he was completely routed. Many were killed and many were wounded. Among the killed was Wm. Lee, Sally Robbins husband. None of our Shepherdstown company were killed or wounded. They were not immediately engaged. Report says that Colonel Allen hacked and lost 3 horses from my company. You must excuse this style of writing as I am in a great hurry."

Correspondence of Colonel William A. Morgan, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company F, 1853-1889, Albert H. Small Special Collections Library, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, Virginia

"A vacancy having occured in the captaincy of his old company, the Clarke Cavalry, he was elected to fill it, on the day of the first battle of Manassas. Immediately on hearing of this election, notwithstanding his very delicate health, he set off to assume command, but of necessity too late to take part in that glorious day, which was to him a keen dissappointment."

The University memorial: Biographical sketches of alumni of the University of Virginia who fell in the Confederate War, five Volumes in one, by Rev. John Lipscomb Johnson, B. A.

"The first service the company did was to picket at Edward's Ferry, on the Potomac River, at which place and at Leesburg it remained until about the 15 of June, 1861, when the company was sent to Winchester and reported to Colonel Angus McDonald, wit whom it marched to Romney, having been united with Captain Turner Ashby's company."

"On July 18, when General Johnston started from Winchester to the relief of Beauregard, who had been attacked at Manassas, Captain Gaither was ordered to Berryville with his company, there to remain until the last of the infantry had crossed the Shenandoah River, when he was to report to Colonel J. E. B. Stuart, in command of the First Virginia Cavalry, and captain Gaither joined Colonel Stuart at Piedmont, and then the company became known as Company M, Colonel Stuart having so designated it."

The Maryland Line in the Confederate Army, 1861-1861, by W. W. Goldsborough

"Before that the separate companies had been parcelled out to different infantry brigades for orderly and escort duty and on the eve of the fight the two regiments were so depleted by detachments for similar purposes that neither one had more than 150 men left for action."

Bull Run Remembers, by Joseph M. Hanson

"A little later a Maryland company commanded by Captain George Gaither, reported to me at Leesburg, and became temporarily a part of my command."

Autobiography of Eppa Hunton

"The first conflict for which they were ordered out, was the battle of Manassas, which occurred July 21st, 1861."

Aler's history of Martinsburg and Berkeley County, West Virginia, by F. Vernon Aler

History of Southwest Virginia, 1746-1786, Washington County, 1777-1870, by Lewis Preston Summers of the Abingdon Bar, Alumnus of the University of Virginia, and of Tulane University, Louisiana, and Member of the Virginia Historical Society

"While Stuart roamed the field seeking opportunities to insert his troopers in the action, Jones' command remained in reserve under the direction of Major Swann."

Washington County, Viriginia, in the Civil War, by Michael Shaffer

Notes

The Newtown Light Dragoons, the Berkeley Troop, the 1st Rockbridge Dragoons (No.1), the Clarke Cavalry, the Valley Rangers, the Shepherdstown Troop, and the Loudoun Light Horse, under the command of Acting Colonel & Captain J H Drake, Newtown Light Dragoons, were stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and the 1st Virginia Cavalry on 11 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year & duration war, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County; Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County; & Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 3 & 10 May & 28 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), E, F, G (1st), and H, were mustered in state service for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 3 May, 1861; Company G (2nd) for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861; and Company M/K (2nd) in Confederate service for the war at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861.

Seizure of Harpers Ferry Arsenal & Armory, 17-19 April, 1861

The Fauquier Mountain Rangers was ordered to seize Harpers Ferry Arsenal and Armory, on Shenandoah and Potomac Streets, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861.

Markham, Fauquier County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company G (1st), 16-19 April, 1861: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers, under the command of First Lieutenant R Ashby, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 16 April, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 19 April, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry).

Martinsburg, Berkeley County; Berryville, Clarke County; & Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies A, B, D (1st), & F, 19 April, 1861: The Berkeley Troop, the Clarke Cavalry, and the Shepherdstown Troop arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861.

Newtown, Frederick County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company A, 19-20 April, 1861: The Newtown Light Dragoons was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 19 April, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 20 April, 1861.

State & Confederate Service

Note: The Newtown Light Dragoons, the Berkeley Troop, the Clarke Cavalry, the Valley Rangers or New Hope Cavalry, and the Shepherdstown Troop were stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Major General K Harper, Fifth Division, Virginia Militia, on 23 April, 1861.

Lexington, Rockbridge County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company C, 18-24 April, 1861: The 1st Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Rockbridge Dragoons, No.2, under the command of Captain J R McNutt. The company arrived at Harrisonburg via Staunton, Augusta County, and Mount Crawford, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, via Mount Jackson and Strasburg, Shenandoah County, and Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861.

Note: The Rockbridge Rifles, the 1st Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1, and the 2nd Rockbridge Dragoons No.2, were stationed at Lexington, Augusta County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861, and the Rockbridge Rifles and the 2nd Rockbridge Dragoons, No.2, was stationed at Mount Crawford, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 20 April, 1861 (See the 5th Virginia Infantry).

New Hope or Waynesboro, Augusta County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company E, 19-23 April, 1861: The Valley Rangers or New Hope Cavalry (64) was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at Harrisonburg via Mount Crawford, Rockingham County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 April, 1861, and arrived via Strasburg, Shenandoah County, and Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861

Troops stationed at Mount Crawford, Rockingham County, Virginia, 19 April, 1861: Mountian Guards (47), Captain R L Doyle (See the 5th Virginia Infantry); Southern Guards (68), Captain H J Williams (See the 5th Virginia Infantry); Augusta Greys (50), Captain J W Newton (See the 5th Virginia Infantry); Union Greys (41), First Lieutenant W P Johnson (See the 5th Virginia Infantry); Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1 (87), Captain M X White, Jr.; Valley Rangers, 32nd Virginia Militia (Augusta County) (68), Captain W Patrick

Union, Loudoun County, Virginia, to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, Company H, 28 April-9 June, 1861: The Loudoun Light Horse was stationed at Union, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was ordered to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 28 April, 1861. The company was assigned to Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, between 28 April and 9 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry).

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, Company C, 29 April-15 June, 1861: The Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1, was ordered to Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 April, 1861, and was assigned to picket duty at Honeywood Mills, on the Potomac River, two and a half miles north of Little Georgetown, Berkeley County, Virginia, and Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, between 29 April and 15 June, 1861.

Return of the strength of Forces at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), E, F, G (1st), & H, 3 May, 1861: The Newtown Light Dragoons, the Berkeley Troop, the 1st Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1, the Clarke Cavalry, the Valley Rangers or New Hope Cavalry, the Shepherdstown Troop, and the Loudoun Light Horse were stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Acting Colonel & Captain J H Drake, Newtown Light Dragoons, and the Fauquier Mounted Rangers, under the command of Captain T Ashby, at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 3 May, 1861.

Note : Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 10 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the Newtown Light Dragoons, the Berkeley Troop, the 1st Rockbridge Dragoons, No.1, the Clarke Cavalry, the Valley Rangers or New Hope Cavalry, the Shepherdstown Troop, the Loudoun Light Horse, and the Fauquier Mountain Rangers on 11 May, 1861.

Amelia Courthouse, Amelia County, to Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, Company G (2nd), 9-10 May, 1861: The Amelia Light Dragoons, under the command of First Lieutenant C R Irving, arrived at Trinity Church, on Franklin Street, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 9 May, 1861, and was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 10 May 1861.

Note: The Amelia Light Dragoons was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, between 10 May and 2 July, 1861.

Disposition of 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), E, F, G (1st), & H, 14 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies C, D (1st), and E, were stationed at Bolivar, one and a half miles west of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart; Company A at Berlin Bridge, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, on the west side of the Potomac River, opposite Berlin, Frederick County, Maryland; Company B at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia; Company F at Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, Virginia; and Companies H and G (1st) at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, under the command of Captain T Ashby, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G (1st), on 14 May, 1861.

Troops stationed at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, Companies A & G (1st), 20 May, 1861: Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers; Fauquier Mountain Rangers, First Lieutennat R Ashby (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry); Loudoun Light Horse, Captain R W Carter; Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles, Captain J Q Winfield (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry); Baltimore Rifles, Captain C C Edelin (See the 1st Maryland Infantry); Frederick Volunteers, Captain B T Johnson (See the 1st Maryland Infantry); section of the Staunton Artillery, Captain J D Imboden (See the Staunton Artillery); Loudoun Artillery, Captain A L Rogers (See the Loudoun Artillery)

Note: The Loudoun Cavalry arrived at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 23 May, 1861, and the Wise Artillery on 27 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel & Assistant Adjutant General G Deas, Confederate States Army, was stationed at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, in the evening on 20 May, 1861 (See the Wise Artillery).

Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company I, 23-26 May, 1861: The Harrisonburg Cavalry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and arrived at Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 May, 1861.

Troops stationed at & in the vicinity of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 23 May, 1861: 2nd Virginia Infantry, Colonel J W Allen; 4th Virginia Infantry, Colonel J F Preston; 5th Virginia Infantry, Colonel K Harper; 10th Virginia Infantry, Colonel S B Gibbons; 13th Virginia Infantry, Colonel A P Hill; 2nd Mississippi Infantry, Colonel W C Falkner; 11th Mississippi Infantry, Colonel W H Moore; 4th Alabama Infantry, Colonel E J Jones; 1st Maryland Infantry, Companies A, B, C (1st), D, D, F (1st), G, and H (1st), Captain G H Steuart, cavalry, Confederate States Army; 1st Kentucky Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, and D, Major H B Duncan; 2nd Kentucky Battalion Sharpshooters, Companies A and B, Acting Major & Captain J D Pope, Bustard Guards; 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G (1st), and H, Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart; 1st Rockbridge Artillery, Captain W N Pendelton; Wise Arillery, Captain E G Alburtis; Newtown Artillery, Captain G A Groves; Staunton Artillery, Captain J D Imboden

Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company K (1st), 29-31 May, 1861: The Rockingham Cavalry or River Rangers was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861, and arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, on 30 May, 1861. The company was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

Abingdon, Washington County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company L (1st) & D (2nd), 31 May-17 June, 1861: The Washington Mounted Rifles (102) was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was stationed at old Glade Spring Presbyterian Church, Washington County, Virginia, in the morning on 1 June, 1861. The company arrived at the Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Note: The Washington Mounted Rifles was stationed at Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 17 and 22 June, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), E, F, and K (1st), were stationed at Bolivar Heights, one and a half miles west of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 31 May, 1861.

Skirmish at Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, Company E, 1-2 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company E, was stationed at Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, in the morning on 1 June, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish with the Williamsport or Union Home Guards, under the command of Captain W B Kennedy, between 1 and 2 June, 1861.

Note: The Clearspring and Sharpsburg Home Guards arrived at Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 2 June, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, Company I, 2-3 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company I, was ordered to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861, and arrived via Shepherdstown and Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861.

Note: 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company I, was stationed at Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861, and arrived at Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 4 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Martinsburg, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, 5 & 8 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was stationed at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 5 June, 1861, and at Camp Clover, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 8 June, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 1st Virginia Cavalry (100), including Company E, was engaged in a skirmish at Dam No.5, Honeywood Mills, on the Potomac River, two and a half miles north of Little Georgetown, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 8 June, 1861.

Destroyed the bridge on the Potomac River, opposite Berlin, Frederick County, Maryland, Company A, 9 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company A, destroyed the bridge on the Potomac River, opposite Berlin, Frederick County, Maryland, in the morning on 9 June, 1861.

Destroyed the Colonnade Bridge, on Tuscarora Creek, on East Burke Street, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 13 June, 1861: A detachment of the 1st Virginia Cavalry destroyed the Colonnade Bridge, on Tuscarora Creek, on East Burke Street, Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 13 June, 1861.

Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 13-14 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived at Winchester, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 14 June, 1861.

Winchester, Frederick County, to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, 14-15 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to cover the retreat of the 2nd Virginia Infantry and 5th Virginia Infantry at Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 14 June, 1861, and arrived at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 June, 1861.

Note: The Howard Dragoons was stationed at Edward's Ferry, on the Potomac River, three and a half miles southwest of Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 14 June, 1861.

Winchester, Frederick County, to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company K (1st), 14-15 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company K (1st) was ordered to proceed by the Northwestern Turnpike to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861, and arrived on 15 June, 1861.

Loudoun County to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company M/K (2nd), 15-19 June, 1861: The Howard Dragoons was stationed at Loudoun County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel E Hunton, 8th Virginia Infantry, between 14 May and 14 June, 1861, and was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861 (See the 8th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company B (1st), under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, on 17 June, 1861, and was ordered to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861.

Note: The Howard Dragoons was assigned to picket duty and scouting at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, between 19 June and 18 July, 1861, and the 1st Virginia Cavalry was stationed on the Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 June, 1861.

Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 15-16 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 PM on 15 June, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of W T Snodgrass', on the Martinsburg Turnpike, two miles southwest of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, in the morning on 16 June, 1861.

Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, to two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one & a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, Company H, 9-16 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company H, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Jeff Davis, two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 16 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), E, F, H, and K (1st), were stationed at Camp Jeff Davis, two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861, and the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company E, was stationed at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 23 June, 1861.

Two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one & a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, in the morning on 17 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Jeff Davis, two miles south of Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 1st Virginia Cavalry was assigned to picket duty at Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 18 June, 1861, and a detachment of Company E captured Lieutenant Colonel Bowman and Aide de Camp & Private E A Chase, 8th Pennsylvania Infantry, in the vicinity of Lemon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, west of Williamsport, Washington County, Maryland, on 19 June, 1861 (See the 8th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Richmond, Henrico County, to Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, Company L (1st) & D (2nd), 22 June, 1861: The Washington Mounted Rifles was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.63, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861, dated 21 June, 1861.

Note: The Washington Mounted Rifles was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, between 22 June and 2 July, 1861.

Skirmish between W Hills & W Port(a)erfield's Farms, west of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles southwest of Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies B, C, D (1st), E, and I, were engaged in a skirmish between W Hills and W Port(a)erfield's Farms, west of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 2 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, captured a detachment of the 15th Pennsylvania Infantry (46), Company I, during a skirmish between W Hills and W Port(a)erfield's Farms, west of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Second Division, Army of Pennsylvania).

Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, two & a half miles south of Hainesville, to Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one & a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 & 3 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was stationed on the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, north of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia,in the evening on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 3 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry (313/21 officers) was stationed at Camp Stephens, Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, two and a half miles south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 30 June, 1861, and was stationed at Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 4 July, 1861.

Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Martinsburg Turnpike, one & a half miles south of Martinsburg, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, 7 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Jeff Davis or Vigilance, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 12 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was stationed at Camp Jeff Davis or Vigilance, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, between 7-15 July, 1861.

Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Companies G (2nd) & L (1st)/D (2nd), 2-9 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies G (2nd) and L (1st)/D (2nd), were ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.206, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861, and arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861. Companies G (2nd) and L (1st)/D (2nd) arrived by the Martinsburg Turnpike at Camp Jeff Davis or Vigilance, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 9 July, 1861.

Note: The Amelia Light Dragoons was stationed at Amelia Courthouse, on the Richmond & Danville Railroad, Amelia County, Virginia, on 17 and 26 April, 1861, and at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, between 10 May and 2 July, 1861. The Washington Mounted Rifles was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, between 22 June and 2 July, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel C W Field, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.201, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.

Camp Jeff Davis or Vigilance, Bunker Hill, & Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, detachment of Company L (1st)/D (2nd), 10 July, 1861: A detachment of the 1st Virginia Cavalry (50), Company L (1st)/D (2nd), under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, was ordered on a scouting expedition to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Jeff Davis or Vigilance, Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Bunker Hill to Darkesville, Berkeley County, & Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, 15 & 18 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 15 July, 1861, and to Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, at 8 PM on 18 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company B, was ordered to Brucetown, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861, and to Smithfield or Middleway, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861.

The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.1, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 18 July, 1861, 17 July, 1861.

Note: The Howard Dragoons declined service with the 7th Virginia Cavalry on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861. The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company M/ K (2nd), at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861.

Berryville, Clarke County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19-20 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was stationed at Berryville, Clarke County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, via Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, and Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 20 July, 1861. The 1st Virginia Cavalry arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Salem, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company E, was detached and assigned to guard duty at Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Ball's Ford, one mile southeast of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 20 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to the rear at Ball's Ford, one mile southeast of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.133, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

Note: Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry, was assigned to command the cavalry stationed in the vicinity of Mitchell's and Lewis' Fords, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.133, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861, and Captain J H Drake and First Lieutenant R H Long, 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company A, were not present for duty on 21 July, 1861.

Assignment of 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, D (1st), F, H, G (2nd), L (1st)/D (2nd), 21 July, 1861: Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry; Newtown Light Dragoons, Company A, Second Lieutenant J S Larrick; Berkeley Troop, Company B, Captain J B Hoge; Clarke Cavalry, Company D (1st), First Lieutenant W Taylor; Shepherdstown Troop, Company F, Captain W A Morgan; Loudoun Light Horse (33), Company H, Captain R W Carter; Major R Swan, 1st Virginia Cavalry; Amelia Light Dragoons, Company G (2nd), Captain C R Irving; Washington Mounted Rifles, Company L (1st)/D (2nd), Captain W E Jones

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, D (1st), and H, under the command of Colonel J E B Stuart, were engaged in a skirmish with the 11th New York Infantry during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and Companies C, F, I, K (1st), and M/K (2nd) arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 20 July, 1861 (See the 11th New York Infantry).

After the first battle of Manassas the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies A, B, D (1st), F, and H, under the command of Colonel J E B Stuart, were stationed at Sudley Church, Sudley Springs, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, and Companies L (1st)/D (2nd), under the command of Major R Swan, at the rear at Ball's Ford, one mile southeast of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company L (1st)/D (2nd), was was ordered to Sudley Church, Sudley Springs, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, in the evening on 22 July, 1861.

Sudley Church, Sudley Spring, Prince Willaim County, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 23 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Maryland Infantry, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry, and the Loudoun Artillery. The regiment arrived at Camp Onwards, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Reorganised between Williamsburg & Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 26 April, 1862: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was reorganised between Williamsburg and Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1862.

Disbanded at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, 11 April, 1865: The 1st Virginia Cavalry was disbanded at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 11 April, 1865, and one man surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appotomax County, on 9 April, 1865.

Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry: Captain J E B Stuart, 1st United States Cavalry, Company K, resigned at Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, on 3 May, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and was appointed captain, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861. Captain J E B Stuart, cavalry, Confederate States Army, arrived by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad at Wytheville, Wythe County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J E B Stuart, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.34, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 10 May, 1861, dated 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by P W Hairston, volunteer aide de camp. He arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and was appointed colonel, 1st Virginia Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861, and brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 14 September, 1861.

The 1st Virginia Cavalry, Companies D and K, were assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Companies D and C, respectively, under the command of Colonel C W Field, by Special Orders No.414, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 October, 1861.

Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 September, 1861: Major General G W Smith, Confederate States Army, was assigned to the command of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.31, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861.

Report

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.83: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp482-484
Colonel J E B Stuart, First Virginia Cavalry, dated Headquarters, First Virginia Cavalry, 26 July, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'Drive Them to Washington', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.