The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Reserves, Army of the Shenandoah

Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry

Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry

Seventh Virginia Cavalry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at Haymarket, Prince William County, Virginia, 22 July, 1861. Not present at the first battle of Manassas

COLONEL A W MCDONALD
A W McDonald was appointed colonel, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 5 June, 1861, and colonel, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 17 June, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL T ASHBY
Captain T Ashby, Company A, was assigned to duty at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 17 June, 1861.

MAJOR O R FUNSTEN
O R Funsten was appointed aide de camp at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 24 April and 2 May, 1861, and major, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 17 June, 1861.

Company A Fauquier Mountain Rangers: CAPT. W F Turner
The company was accepted in state service at Markham, Fauquier County, Virginia, under the command of Captain T Ashby, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. The company was assigned to picket duty at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year as the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company G, on 3 May, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry). Captain T Ashby and First Lieutennat R Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, were appointed lieutenant colonel, 7th Virginia Cavalry, and captain, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861, and Captain R Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, was wounded at Kelly's Island, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 26 June, 1861. He died at Ridgedale, on Washington Bottom Farm, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 7 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant W F Turner, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, was appointed captain in June 1861.
Company B (1st) Howard Dragoons: CAPT. G R GAITHER, Jr.
The company was accepted in state (Virginia) service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company B (1st), at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861. The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company M, near Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).
Company B (2nd) Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles: CAPT. J Q Winfield
The company was accepted in state service at Cootes Store and Brock's Gap, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and was stationed at Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861. The company was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Captain I Coffman, on 19 April, 1861, and arrived on 21 April, 1861 (See the 10th Virginia Infantry). The company was mustered in state service for the war, under the command of Captain J Q Wingfield, at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 5 May, 1861, was stationed at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, under the command of Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, on 21 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 10th Virginia Infantry at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861, and to the 7th Virginia Cavalry at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861. Private J C Shoup, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company B (2nd), was appointed captain, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company H (2nd), on 7 May, 1862.
Company C Shenandoah Rangers: CAPT. S B Myers
The company was accepted in state service at Edinburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861, and was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, the same day. The company was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, between 19 and 23 June, 1861, and Captain S B Myers, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company C, was appointed major, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 30 October, 1862.
Company D Massanutten Rangers: CAPT. M Jordan
The company was accepted in state service at Massanutten, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, between 19 and 23 June, 1861.
Company E Bowen's Mountain Rangers: CAPT. W Bowen
The company was accepted in state service at Front Royal, Warren County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry between 26 and 27 June, 1861. First Lieutenant J Marshall, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company E, was appointed captain, Marshall's Company, on 7 March, 1862.
Company F Hampshire Riflemen: CAPT. G F Sheetz
The company was accepted in state service at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Duffields, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 4 September, 1861, dated 1 June, 1861. Captain G F Sheetz, 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company F, was killed on 23 May, 1862.
Company G Mason Rangers: CAPT. F Mason
The company was accepted in state service at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861.
Company H (1st) Brock's Gap Sharpshooters: CAPT. A Harper
The company was accepted in state service at Brock's Gap, Rockingham County, Virginia, in July 1861 and was stationed at Mount Jackson, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861. The company was captured near Columbia Furnace, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 16 April, 1862, and was reorganised under the command of Captain T L M Chipley on 22 April, 1862. The company was assigned to the 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry, Company C, on 16 June 1862.
Company H (2nd): CAPT. J C Shoup
The company was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company H (2nd), with the excess men of Company B (2nd) on 7 May, 1862.
Company I: CAPT. E Shands
The company was accepted in state service at Harrisonburg, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 6 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.
Company K: CAPT. W Miller
The company was accepted in state service at Oakney Springs, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 1 August, 1861.

Additional Companies

The companies listed below were assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry until reorganisation on 16 June, 1862.

Twelfth Virginia Cavalry

The 12th Virginia Cavalry was accepted in Confederate service near Conrad's Store, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1862.

Organisation of 12th Virginia Cavalry, 12 June, 1862: Colonel A W Harman, Lieutenant Colonel R H Burks, Major T B Massie; Company A, Captain J W Glenn; Company B, Captain R W Baylor; Company C, Captain J H Ford; Company D, Captain J L Knott; Company E, Captain J Marshall; Company F, Captain H W Gilmor; Company G, Captain A M Willis; Company H, Captain E Sipe; Company I, Captain C T O'Ferrell; Company K, Captain I P Rinker

Henderson's Company was accepted in state service for one year, under the command of Captain J Henderson, at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 26 June, 1861; Baylor's Company was accepted in Confederate service for six months, under the command of Captain R W Baylor, at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861; Marshall's Company was accepted in Confederate service for the war, under the command of Captain T Marshall, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 11 March, 1862; Knott's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain J L Knott, at Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 17 March, 1862; Marshall's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain J Marshall, at New Market, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 27 March, 1862; Gilmor's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain H W Gilmor, on 26 March, 1862; Willis' Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain A M Willis, at Sperryville, Rappahannock County, Virginia, on 31 March, 1862; Sipe's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain E Sipe, at Pughtown, Hancock County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1862; Massie's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain T B Massie, at Conrad's Store, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 27 March, 1862; Rinker's Company was accepted in Confederate service for two years, under the command of Captain I P Rinker, at Woodstock, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 1 May, 1862.

Note: Captain A W Harman, 5th Virginia Infantry, Company G, was appointed colonel, 12th Virginia Cavalry, on 1 July, 1862, dated 21 June, 1862; R H Burks lieutenant colonel, 12th Virginia Cavalry, on 2 July, 1862, dated 21 June, 1862; and Captain T B Massie, 12th Virginia Cavalry, Company I, major, on 2 July, 1862, dated 21 June, 1862 (See the 5th Virginia, Infantry). Captain T Marshall, 12th Virginia Cavalry, Company C, was appointed major, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 2 July, 1862, dated 21 June, 1862.

Seventeenth Virginia Battalion Cavalry and Eleventh Virginia Cavalry

The 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry was organised near Conrad's Store, Rockingham County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.234, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 7 October, 1862.

Organisation of 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry, 7 October, 1862: Lieutenant Colonel O R Funsten, Major W Patrick; Company A, Captain G W Myers; Company B, Hardy Rangers, Captain W H Harness; Company C, Captain T L Chipley; Company D, Captain E H McDonald; Company E, Captain J T Hess; Company F, Bath Cavalry Company A, Captain A G McChesney; Company G, Bath Cavalry Company B, Captain F A Daingerfield

Note: The 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry was known as the 1st Virginia Battalion Cavalry, under the command of Major O R Funsten, between 16 June and 7 October, 1862, and Major O R Funsten, 1st Virginia Battalion Cavalry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry, on 14 October, 1862. The 24th Virginia Battalion Cavalry or Scott's Battalion Partisan Rangers, Company C, under the command of Captain A M Pierce, was disbanded and assigned to the 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry by Special Orders No.3, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 5 January, 1863.

Myers' Company was mustered in Confederate service for the war, under the command of Captain G W Myers, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, in September 1861, dated 7 October, 1861; Harness' Company was accepted in Confederate service for the war, under the command of Captain W H Harness, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 10 March, 1862; 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company H (1st), was reorganised and accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain T L Chipley, on 22 April, 1862; McDonald's Company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain E H McDonald, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, for two years, by Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 7 March, 1862; Hess' Company was accepted in Confederate service for the war, under the command of Captain J T Hess, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Colonel T Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 14 February, 1862; Bath Cavalry, Company A, was reorganised, under the command of Captain A G McChesney, on 8 May, 1862; Bath Cavalry, Company B, was reorganised, under the command of Captain M M Ball, on 8 May, 1862

Note: Colonel W H Harness, 14th Virginia Militia Infantry (Hardy County), was appointed captain, 7th Virginia Cavalry, on 10 March, 1862; Colonel E H McDonald, 77th Virginia Militia Infantry (Hampshire County), on 28 April, 1862; and Captain J T Hess, 55th Virginia Militia Infantry (Jefferson County), on 11 May, 1862. The Bath Cavalry, Company A, under the command of Captain A T Richards, was assigned to Captain G Jackson, cavalry, Confederate States Army, during the battle of Rich Mountain on 12 July, 1861.

The 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry was redesignated the 11th Virginia Cavalry by Special Orders No. 36, Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, near Edinburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 5 February, 1863,

Organisation of 11th Virginia Battalion Cavalry, 9 February, dated 5 February, 1863: Colonel L L Lomax, Lieutenant Colonel O R Funsten, Major M D Ball; Company A, Captain G W Myers; Company B, Hardy Rangers, Captain W H Harness; Company C, Captain T L Chipley; Company D, Captain E H McDonald; Company E, Captain J T Hess; Company F, Bath Cavalry Company A, Captain A G McChesney; Company G, Bath Cavalry Company B, Captain F A Daingerfield; Company H, Captain A M Pierce; Company I, Captain

Note: The 5th Virginia Cavalry, Companies F (2nd), under the command of Captain M D Ball, and Weems' Company, under the command of Captain O T Weems, were assigned to the 11th Virginia Cavalry, Companies I and K, respectively, by Special Orders No. 36, Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, near Edinburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 9 February, 1863, dated 5 February, 1863, and Captain M D Ball, 11th Virginia Cavalry, Company I, was appointed major, 11th Virginia Cavalry, on 15 February, 1863.

Fourteenth Virginia Cavalry

Company G, Valley Cavalry or Rangers, Captain W R Preston

The Valley Cavalry was mustered in Confederate service for two years or the war with men of 4th Virginia Infantry on 16 April, 1862, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry on 25 June, 1862 (See the 4th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 14th Virginia Cavalry, under the command of Colonel C E Thorburn, by Special Orders No.208, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 5 September, 1862.

Ashby's Artillery or Chew's Horse Artillery

Ashby's Artillery or Chew's Horse Artillery was organised at Flowing Spring, Jefferson County, Virginia, by special authority of the War Department on 11 November, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service on 13 November, 1861.

Organisation of Chew's Horse Artillery, 13 November, 1861: Captain R P Chew, First Lieutenant M Rouse, Second Lieutenant J W Thomson, Junior Second Lieutenant J W McCarty

Note: Cadet R P Chew, Virginia Military Institute, was temporarily assigned as acting second lieutenant to the Lee Artillery, under the command of Captain P B Anderson, at Monterey, Highland County, Virginia, between 15 July and September 1861. Major P B Anderson, first major, 1st Tennessee Infantry, resigned at Lynchburg, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was appointed captain, Lee Artillery, on 28 May 1861 (See the 1st Tennessee Infantry).

Sources

"Last night we sent off the Valley Guards, Capt. Sprinkel, 75 men; the Rockingham Rifles, 108 men, Capt. Kenney To-day the balance of the Volunteer Regiment, composed of the Bridgewater Grays, Capt. Brown; the Elk Run Grays, Capt. Covington; the Peaked Mountain Grays, Capt. Yancey; the Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles, Capt. Winfield; Chisman's Infantry, Capt. Chisman."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 22 April, 1861 - Movement of soldiers, Harrisonburg, Va., 19 April, 1861

"Among the Virginia forces there, we hear of Captain Ashby's Mounted Rangers, Captain Rogers' Loudoun Artillery, a part of Captain Imboden's command from this post, Captain Carter's Company of Cavalry, and Captain Winfield's company of Rifles."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 24 May, 1861 - Affairs at Harper's Ferry, 21 May, 1861

A History of the Laurel Brigade: Originally the Ashby Cavalry of the Army of Northern Virginia and Chew's Battery, by William McDonald

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 28: Charlotte Cavalry, a brief history of the gallant command from its organisation to the end of the war, Richmond Daily Dispatch, 27 May, 1900

The memoirs of General Turner Ashby and his compeers, by Rev. James Battle Avirett, Chaplin Ashby Cavalry and other officers of the Army of Northern Virginia, C.S.A.

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Seventh Virginia Cavalry, First Edition No.636 of 1000, by Richard L Armstrong

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Chew's Ashby, Shoemaker's Lynchburg & the Newtown Artillery, First Edition, No.549 of 1000, by R H Moore II

Virginia Valley records: Genealogical and historical materials of Rockingham County, Virginia, and related regions, by David A Heatwole

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

The 7th Virginia Cavalry was organised at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Note: A W McDonald was stationed as a volunteer aide de camp to Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was appointed colonel, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 5 June, 1861. Colonel A W McDonald, cavalry, Confederate States Army, arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861 (See the First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah).

Occupation of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company A, 16-18 April, 1861: A detachment of the Fauquier Mountain Rangers, under the command of First Lieutenant R Ashby, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Hallstown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 April, 1861. Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 April, 1861, and was accompanied by J A Selden. He was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 18 April, 1861, and was ordered to Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. Captain T Ashby was ordered to Hallstown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 18 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the Jefferson Battalion Infantry, under the command of Colonel J W Allen (See the 2nd Virginia Infantry). The detachment of the Fauquier Mountain Rangers, under the command of Captain T Ashby and First Lieutenant R Ashby, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and arrived at Bolivar Heights, near Harpers Ferry, via Bolivar, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861. The remaining men of the Fauquier Mountain Rangers and the Black Horse Troop, under the command of First Lieutenant B Randolph, arrived at Bolivar Heights, near Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 10 PM the same day and were ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861 (See Munford's Squadron Cavalry).

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, Companies A & B (2nd), 19 April & 6 May, 1861: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers was ordered to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to picket and guard duty between Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, and Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on the Potomac River, between 19 April and 9 June, 1861. The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was ordered to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 6 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Staunton Artillery (See the Staunton Artillery).

Note: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers was mustered in state service and assigned to Colonel E Hunton, 8th Virginia Infantry, at Point of Rocks, Frederck County, Maryland, on 3 May, 1861.

Organisation at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, 19 April-9 June, 1861: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers arrived at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861; the Loudoun Light Horse on 28 April, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry); the Staunton Artillery and the Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles on 6 May, 1861; the Loudoun Artillery on 8 May, 1861 (See the Loudoun Artillery); Captains B T Johnson's and C C Edelin's Companies on 8 and 9 May, 1861, respectively (See the the 1st Maryland Infantry); and the Loudoun Cavalry on 23 May, 1861 (See the Independent Companies Cavalry).

Note: Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mounted Rangers, was assigned to command Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, between 19 April and 9 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies A & B (2nd), 9-10 June, 1861: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers and the Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles were ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861, and arrived via Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 10 June, 1861.

Note: The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles destroyed the Covered or Leesburg Bridge, on the Potomac River, opposite Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, in the morning on 9 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 10th Virginia Infantry between 11 and 21 June, 1861 (See the 10th Virginia Infantry).

Skirmish at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company F, 12-13 June, 1861: The Hampshire Riflemen was accepted in state service at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant G F Sheetz, New Creek Riflemen, was appointed captain on 6 June, 1861. The company was engaged in a skirmish at Cemetery Hill, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel A C Cummings and Major E G Lee, in the morning on 12 June, 1861 (See the 33rd Virginia Infantry). The Hampshire Riflemen was ordered to Hanging Rock, Hampshire County, Virginia, the same day and was accompanied by the Potomac Guards and the Independent Greys. The company arrived at Park Valley, on the Northwestern Turnpike, near Capon Bridge, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 13 June, 1861.

Note: The New Creek Riflemen, under the command of Captain E M Armstrong, was disbanded at Burlington, Mineral County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861.

Harpers, Jefferson County, to Hanging Rock, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company B (2nd), 13-19 June, 1861: The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel A P Hill, 13th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 13 June, 1861, and arrived at the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, near Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day (See the 13th Virginia Infantry). The company was ordered to proceed by the Northwestern Turnpike to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM on 18 June, 1861. The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was ordered to Hanging Rock, Hampshire County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 June, 1861.

Note: The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was assigned to the 10th Virginia Infantry at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861 (See the 10th Virginia Infantry).

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, Company A, 14 & 15 June, 1861: The Fauquier Mountain Rangers was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, on 14 June, 1861, and arrived at Hawthorn, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861.

Loudoun County to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, Company B (1st), 14 May & 17 June, 1861: The Howard Dragoons was mustered in Virginia state service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry). The company arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 June, 1861.

Note: The Howard Dragoons was mustered in Virginia state service and assigned to Colonel E Hunton, 8th Virginia Infantry, at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861.

Winchester, Frederick County, to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Companies A & B (1st), 18-19 June, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and B (1st), were ordered proceed by the Northwestern Turnpike to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and arrived at Hanging Rock, Hampshire County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. Companies A and B (1st) were ordered to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The Fauquier Mounted Rangers and the Howard Dragoons were assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and B (1st), at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861, and Company A, under the command of Captain T Ashby, was stationed at Camp Washington, Ridgeville Farm, on the South Branch Potomac River, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, and Company B at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, on 19 June, 1861.

Park Valley, on the Northwestern Turnpike, near Capon Bridge, to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company F, 19 June, 1861: The Hampshire Riflemen were ordered to proceed by the Northwestern Turnpike to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Potomac Guards and the Independent Greys. The company arrived at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 3 PM the same day and was assigned to Lee's Battalion Infantry, under the command of Major W F Lee, between 19 and 21 June, 1861 (See the 33rd Virginia Infantry).

Romney, Hampshire County, to Neal's Dam, on Opequon Creek, three miles south of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, Company F, 21-24 June, 1861: The Hampshire Riflemen was ordered to proceed by the Northwestern Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the Potomac Guards, the Independent Greys, the 10th Virginia Infantry, the 13th Virginia Infantry, and the 3rd Tennessee Infantry. The company arrived at Hanging Rock, Hampshire County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and were ordered to Capon Bridge, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 22 June, 1861. The Hampshire Riflemen was ordered to Hogue Creek, near Lockhart's Gap, Frederick County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 23 June, 1861, and arrived at 7 PM the same day. The company was ordered to Neal's Dam, on Opequon Creek, three miles south of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 24 June, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Opequon Creek, three miles south of Winchester, Frederick County, to Romney, Hampshire Virginia, Company F, 27 June, 1861:The Hampshire Riflemen was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company F, on 25 June 1861, and was ordered to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861.

Hanging Rock to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, Company B (2nd), 22 June, 1861: Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was ordered to Capon Bridge, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 22 June, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the company was ordered to Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, the same day.

Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, 19-27 June, Companies, C, D, E, & I, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry, Companies C and D, arrived at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, between 19 and 23 June, 1861; Company I on 24 June, 1861; and Company E between 26 and 27 June, 1861.

Note: The Letcher Brock's Gap Rifles was assigned to the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company H (1st), at Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Skirmish at Kelly's Island, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, 26 June, 1861: A detachment of nineteen members of the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, under the command of Captain R Ashby, were ordered to Patterson's Creek Depot, on the North Branch Potomac River, Mineral County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 June, 1861, and seven men, under the command of Captain R Ashby, were engaged in a skirmish with a detachment of thirteen mounted men of the 11th Indiana Infantry, under the command of Corporal D B Hay, Company A, near Kelly's Island, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, the same day (See the 11th Indiana Infantry). A detachment of eleven men of the 7th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby, were ordered on a scouting expedition to Patterson's Creek Depot, on the North Branch Potomac River, Mineral County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 June, 1861, and arrived at Kelly's Island, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The detachment was engaged in a skirmish at Kelly's Island, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 26 June, 1861.

Note: Captain R Ashby was wounded at Kelly's Island, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, on 26 June, 1861, and died of wounds at Ridgedale, on Washington Bottom Farm, near Romney, Hampshire County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 7 July, 1861.

Skirmish at New Creek Depot, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Mineral County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: Captain M Jordan's company and other detachments were engaged in a skirmish with the 13th Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry or 42nd Pennsylania Infantry at New Creek Depot, on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Mineral County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861 (See the 11th Indiana Infantry).

At 1 AM on 18 July, 1861, the War Department at Richmond, Virginia, ordered General J E Johnston to proceed with the Army of the Shenandoah to Manassas Junction and join the Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General P G T Beauregard.

Winchester, Frederick County, to Manassas Junction, Virginia, 18-22 July, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Upperville, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861, and encamped at Clifton Mill, on Pantherskin Creek, near Upperville, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 7th Virginia Cavalry arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861.

Manassas Junction to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861: The 7th Virginia Cavalry was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861, and Companies A and G, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby, were stationed at Wheatland, near Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in July 1861 and were assigned to picket duty between Martinsburg, Berkeley County, and Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, shortly afterwards. The 55th Virginia Militia Infantry (Jefferson County), under the command of Colonel J T Gibson, was assigned to Lieutenant Colonel T Ashby. Companies B, C, D, E, F, H, I, and K, under the command of Colonel A W McDonald, were stationed at Camp Hollingsworth, Hollingsworth Mill, ner Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in August 1861 and the 77th Virginia Militia Infantry (Hampshire County) and the 114th Virginia Militia Infantry (Hardy County), under Colonel E H McDonald and Colonel A Moore, respectively, were assigned to Colonel A W McDonald in August 1861 (See the Defenses of Winchester).

Reorganised at Elk Run Creek, near Conrad's Store, Rockingham County, Virginia, 16, 21, 25 June, 5 September, and 13 November, 1862: Twenty-three companies of the 7th Virginia Cavalry were mustered in Confederate service at Elk Run Creek, near Conrad's Store, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1862, and seven companies were assigned to the 17th Virginia Battalion Cavalry on 16 June, 1862; ten companies to the 12th Virginia Cavalry on 21 June, 1862; one company to the 14th Virginia Cavalry on 5 Aeptember, 1862; and one company to Ashby's Artillery or Chew's Horse Artillery on 13 November, 1862.

Disbanded, Lynchburg, Virginia, 11 April, 1865: The 7th Virginia Cavalry was disbanded at Lynchburg, Virginia, on 11 April, 1865, and thirty-four men surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appotomax County, on 9 April, 1865.

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'Drive Them to Washington', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.