The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

McDowell's Army

Major J G Barnard, chief engineer, McDowell's Army

Major J G Barnard, chief engineer, McDowell's Army

United States Corps Engineers

MAJOR J G BARNARD, Chief Engineer
Major J G Barnard, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed chief engineer, Department of Washington by General Orders No.11, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 28 April, 1861, and chief engineer, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, on 2 July, 1861.

Captain M C Meigs

Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers, was stationed at Washington, D. C., between 31 March and 3 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, in the evening on 3 April, 1861. He was accompanied by Lieutenant Colonel E D Keyes, Military Secretary to Brevet Lieutenant General & Major General W Scott, United States Army, and First Lieutenant D D Porter, United States Navy and arrived at Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, in the evening on 3 April, 1861.

Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 7-16 April, 1861: Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers, was ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Atlantic to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery, at 3.30 AM on 7 April, 1861, and arrived near Triangle Shoals, two miles below Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, at 2 PM on 13 April, 1861. The transport steamer Atlantic was ordered to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, Monroe County, Florida, at 6 AM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 2 PM the same day. The transport steamer Atlantic was ordered to Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, at 9 PM on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at 6.30 PM on 16 April, 1861.

Note: Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers; Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; and First G T Lieutenant Balch, United States Ordnance Department, disembarked at Fort Taylor, Key West, Monroe County, Florida, on 13 April, 1861, and Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers, and Captain W F Barry, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, disembarked at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, in the morning on 17 April, 1861.

Transport steamer Atlantic: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A, Captain W F Barry (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M); United States Corps Engineers, Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); 3rd United States Infantry, Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, Captain H B Clitz (See the United States Battalion Infantry)

Garrison at Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, 25 April, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Major H Brown, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery (80), Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery (40), Light Company G, First Lieutenant A J Slemmer; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company A, Captain W F Barry; 2nd United States Artillery (90), Company H, Brevet Colonel & Captain H Brooks; Captain H A Allen, 2nd United States Artillery (88), Company K; Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt, 2nd United States Artillery (90), Light Company M; 3rd United States Infantry (87), Company C, Second Lieutenant J McL Hildt; 3rd United States Infantry (90), Company E, Captain H B Clitz; United States Corps Engineers (60), Company A, First Lieutenant J C Duane

Note: Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers, was ordered to proceed by the transport steamer Atlantic to Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, at 11 AM on 23 April, 1861, and arrived at Key West, Monroe County, Florida, at 4 AM on 25 April, 1861. The transport steamer Atlantic ws ordered to Havana, Havana Province, Cuba, at 11 AM the same day and arrived in the evening on 25 April, 1861. The transport steamer Atlantic was ordered to Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, at 1.30 PM on 27 April, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 1 May, 1861.

Captain B S Alexander

Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned to the First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, on 15 July, 1861.

Company Pioneers & Axemen: Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned to command a detachment of sixty pioneers and axemen of the 1st Ohio Infantry, the 2nd Ohio Infantry, and the 2nd New York State Militia Infantry on 15 July, 1861.

Assignment: First Division, McDowell's Army

Note: Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer during the building of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 1 May and 8 July, 1861.

First Lieutenant D C Houston: Second Lieutenant D C Houston, United States Corps Engineers, between 13 May, 1861, and 6 February, 1862, and was appointed first lieutenant, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 2 May, 1861. He was assigned to the First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, on 15 July, 1861.

Captain D P Woodbury

Captain D P Woodbury, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., on 29 April, 1861, and was assigned to the Second Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D Hunter, 3rd United States Cavalry, on 15 July, 1861.

Assignment: Second Division, McDowell's Army

Note: Captain D P Woodbury, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed major, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 August, 1861.

Brevet Second Lieutenant C E Cross: Brevet Second Lieutenant C E Cross, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned to drill volunteers in and around Washington, D. C., between 7 and 25 May, 1861, and was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 27 May and 1 July, 1861. He was assigned to command a working party of sappers and miners on 15 July, 1861, and was appointed second lieutenant, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and first lieutenant dated 6 August, 1861.

Assignment: Second Division, McDowell's Army

Captain H G Wright,

Captain H G Wright, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned as volunteer aid to Acting Inspector General & Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, during the occupation of Alexandria and Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861, and to the Third Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, on 15 July, 1861.

Assignment: Third Division, McDowell's Army

Note: Captain H G Wright, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed engineer during the building of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, and other defenses of Washington, D. C., between 25 May and 15 July, 1861, and was appointed major, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 August, 1861.

First Lieutenant G W Snyder: First Lieutenant G W Snyder was stationed at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 27 December, 1860, and 14 April, 1861, and was in charge of engineer operations at Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Mayland, between 29 April and 27 May, 1861. He was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 27 May and 1 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Third Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, between 1 and 30 July, 1861. First Lieutenant G W Snyder, United States Corps Engineers, was on a sick leave of absence at Washington, D. C., on 30 July, 1861, and died on 17 November, 1861.

Brevet Second Lieutenant F U Farquhar: Cadet F U Farquhar was appointed brevet second lieutenant, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.41, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 July, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861, and was assigned to drill volunteers in and around Washington, D. C., between 24 June and 11 July, 1861. He was assigned as acting aid de camp to Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, Third Division, McDowell's Army, on 15 July, 1861, and was appointed second lieutenant, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 August, 1861.

FIRST Lieutenant F E PRIME

First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned to the Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, on 15 July, 1861,

Thirty-ninth New York Infantry, Detachment Pioneers: A detachment of pioneers of the 39th New York Infantry, under the command of First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was ordered to build a redoubt and two embrasures on the Old Braddock Road in the morning on 21 July, 1861 (See the 39th New York Infantry).

Assignment: Fifth Division, McDowell's Army

Note: First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 28 April and 3 July, 1861, and was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 16 July, 1861. He was accompanied by a tool wagon and a detachment of ten men of the 4th New Jersey Militia Infantry, under the command of Sergeant C J Field, Company F, and arrived in the afternoon on 18 July, 1861 (See the 4th New Jersey Militia Infantry). First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3.30 AM on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day. He was accompanied by the 2nd Michigan Infantry and the 3rd Michigan Infantry to Bailey's Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and arrived by the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike at Alexandria, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day. First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed captain, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 August, 1861.

United States Corps Engineers, Company A

First Lieutenant J C Duane

The United States Corps Engineers, Company A, was ordered to Washington, D. C., on 19 January, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at 6 AM on 20 January, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Note: The United States Corps Engineers, Company A, was stationed at West Point Military Academy, Orange County, New York, on 18 January, 1861, and First Lieutenant J C Duane, United States Corps Engineers, Company A, was appointed captain, United States Corps Engineers, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 6 August, 1861.

Defenses of washington

First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 28 April and 3 July, 1861; Captain D P Woodbury between 29 April, 1861, and 10 March, 1862; Second Lieutenant H M Robert between 29 April and 17 Octocer, 1861; Captain B S Alexander between 1 May and 8 July, 1861; Second Lieutenant D C Houston between 13 May, 1861, and 6 February, 1862, and First Lieutenant G W Snyder and Brevet Second Lieutenant C E Cross between 27 May and 1 July, 1861.

Fort Ellsworth

Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, was named in honour of Colonel E E Ellsworth, 11th New York Infantry, and was built on Shuter's Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, to command the King Street Wharf and the Orange & Alexandria Railroad Depot at Alexandria, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861. The 17th New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I, were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 17th New York Infantry).

Note: Captain H G Wright, United States Corps Engineers, laid out the trace at Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861.

Armament, 29 July, 1861: Twelve 8 inch seacoast howitzers; four 24 pounder siege pieces; one 24 pounder field howitzer; two 30 pounder and two 10 pounder Parrott rifles; and three 6 pounder pieces

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 17th New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I

Fort Runyon

Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, was named in honour of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey Volunteers, and was built on the junction of the Columbia Turnpike and the Alexandria & Washington Road in May 1861. The 2nd New Jersey State Militia Infantry, the 3rd New Jersey State Militia Infantry, and the 4th New Jersey State Militia Infantry, under the supervision of Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, were assigned to build Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861, and the 21st New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, F, G, H, and I, were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 21st New York Infantry).

Note: The 7th New York State Militia Infantry, Corps Engineers, under the command of Captain E Viele, were ordered to level to the ground a peach orchard of three hundred trees on 25 May, 1861 (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Armament, 29 July, 1861: Eight 8 inch seacoast howitzers; ten 32 pounder pieces; one 30 pounder Parrott rifle; and four 6 pounder pieces

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 21st New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, F, G, H, I, Captain T Seymour, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company C (See the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D)

Fort Jackson

Fort Jackson was built at the Virginia end of the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., in May 1861 and the 21st New York Infantry, Company E, was assigned to garrison duty on 21 July, 1861 (See the 21st New York Infantry).

Note: The 21st New York Infantry, Company K, was stationed at a bastion on the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike on 21 July, 1861.

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 21st New York Infantry, Company E

Fort Albany

Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, near the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, was named in honour of the capital of New York and was built by the 71st New York State Militia Infantry, the 12th New York State Militia Infantry, and 25th New York State Militia Infantry, under the supervision of Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, in May 1861. It was named 'Fort Albany' by the the 25th New York State Militia Infantry on 4 July, 1861, and the 25th New York State Militia Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, near the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, on 21 July, 1861.

Armament, 29 July, 1861: Eighteen pieces of various calibre including twelve 24 pounder pieces

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 25th New York State Militia Infantry

Fort Corcoran

Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, was named in honour of Colonel M Corcoran, 69th New York State Militia Infantry, and was built by the 69th New York State Militia Infantry in May 1861 (See the 69th New York State Militia Infantry). Five companies of the 28th New York State Militia Infantry were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 28th New York State Militia Infantry).

Note: Colonel D Hunter, 3rd United States Cavalry, was stationed at Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861.

Armament, 29 July, 1861: Twelve 8 inch seacost howitzers; seven 24 pounder barbette pieces; two 12 pounder field pieces; and two 24 pounder howitzers

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 28th New York State Militia Infantry, five companies

Fort Haggerty

Fort Haggerty, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, was named in honour of Captain J Haggerty, 69th New York State Militia Infantry, and was built on the Georgetown & Alexandria Road in May 1861 (See the 69th New York State Militia Infantry). Two companies of the 28th New York State Militia Infantry were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Haggerty, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 28th New York State Militia Infantry).

Armament: Four 24 pounder pieces

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: 28th New York State Militia Infantry, two companies

Fort Bennett

Fort Bennett, above Rosslyn, Alexandria County, Virginia, was named in honour of Colonel M P Bennett, 28th New York State Militia Infantry, and was built by the 28th New York State Militia Infantry in May 1861. Two companies of the 28th New York State Militia Infantry were assigned to garrison duty at Fort Bennett, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 28th New York State Militia Infantry).

Armament: Two 8 inch howitzers and three 24 pounder pieces

Garrison, 21 July, 1861: Two companies of the 28th New York State Militia Infantry

Sources

"A company of sappers and miners, ordered from West Point, arrived in the cars at six o'clock yesterday morning. They number sixty-two men, and are officered by Lieuteants Duane and Weitzel."

The National Republican, 21 January, 1861 - Sixty-two Sappers and Miners from West Point

"Major J. G. Barnard, Chief Engineer; Capt. D. P. Woodbury; Lieut. F. E. Prime, and Lieut. H M Robert, Assistants; all of the U.S. corps of Engineers."

The National Republican, 3 May, 1861 - Departmental Staff

"Important fortifications on Shuter's Hill have progressed so far as to show the impregnable character intended by the designer, Lieut. G. W. Synder, late of Fort Sumter."

The Evening Star, 5 June, 1861 - Affairs in Alexandria, Va., 4 June, 1861

"Lieut. G. W. Synder, of the engineer corps, one of the Sumter heroes, is here, who with Captain Wright, of the same corps, is directing the work upon the entrenchments at Shuter's Hill."

The Evening Star, 18 June, 1861 - Affairs in Alexandria, Va., 17 June, 1861

"A test, this afternoon, of the rifled cannon at Fort Ellsworth - the formidable earthworks which have been in the course of erection for several weeks on Shuter's Hill, and are now approaching completion - resulted in giving the utmost satisfaction. Thirty ten pounders were fired. All the guns have been mounted, and the fort is well garrisoned, includong a force of regulars. Guns are also placed outside commanding the roads. They have been constructed under the superintendence of Captain Wright."

The National Republican, 27 June, 1861 - Camps about Alexandria, 26 June, 1861

"The twenty-fifth (Albany) regiment, Colonel Bryan, celebrated the day by dedicatiing their fort 'Fort Albany'. The fort covers about five acres of ground, and is situated on Prospect Hill, commanding the Long Bridge and the road leading to Fort Runyon."

The National Republican, 8 July, 1861 - Dedication of Fort Albany

"The works at the Virginia end of the Long Bridge are progressing finely, and begin to assume the shape of a fort, on the end of the peninsula, enclosing Jackson City. The grove of trees which skirted the road between Fort Runyon (Columbia Springs) and Fort Albany (Roach's place) has been cut down, leaving an opend field for military operations."

The Evening Star, 16 July, 1861 - Defensive works over the river

"While this was going on, Captain B S Alexander, of the Engineer Corps, brought up the company of pioneers and axmen, which, with its officers and sixty men, had been entirely detailed from the regiments of my brigade, to open a communication over the bridge and through the heavy abatis which obstructed the passage of troops on our front beyond the run."

Report of Brigadier General R C Schenck, U. S. Army, commanding Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army

"At Alexandria, after a preliminary reconnaissance to select a proper site, a large bastioned work, called Fort Ellsworth, was laid out by captain Wright and commenced during the ensuing day."

A report on the defenses of Washington, D. C., to the chief of engineers, U.S. Army, by Brevet Major General J G Barnard

"As it was, Capt. Alexander, with his Sappers and Miners, was ordered to cut through the abattis by the side of the mined bridge, in the valley directly before us, and lay pontoons across the stream. Carlisle's Artillery was detailed to protect the work, and the Ohio and Wisconsin reserve to support the artillery."

Bull Run Remembers, by Joseph M Hanson

"Fort Albany was constructed by New York troops who named it to honor the capital of their state. The fort was built on the land owned by James Roach, and work was begun on the fort during the end of May 1861. Construction was supervised by Captain Barton S Alexander of the Army Corps of Engineers, and the fort was completed in about seven weeks."

"The fort was named in honor Brigadier General Theodore Runyon, whose New Jersey Brigade helped build the forts. Fort Runyon was the largest fort in the Defenses of Washington D. C., covering twelve acres of land with a perimeter of 1484 yards. It was built on the land of James Roach. Construction of the fort began on the morning of 24 May, 1861, under the supervision of Captain Barton S Alexander and was completed in about seven weeks. Fort Runyon guarded Long Bridge and the important junction of the Washington-Alexandria and Columbia turnpikes."

Mr Lincoln's forts: A guide to the Civil War defenses of Washington D. C., New Edition, by Benjamin F Cooling II and Walton H Owen II

"On the day of the battle, Major Barnard Supervised Federal engineer and pioneer troops as they entrenched on the northern banks at Blackburn's Ford as part of a holding-flanking movement. Entrenchments and a battery were dug either side of the road. Barnard described the battery as having a log revetment for the interior slope, and some ten or twelve feet of dirt in front. This battery was occupied by Co. G, 2nd US Artillery, commanded by Lieutenant O D Greene, and consisted of four guns placed with two either side of the road."

"Farther back along the same road, Lieutenant Frederick E Prime, US Engineers, oversaw the pioneers of the Garibaldi Guard, or 39th New York Infantry, as they constructed a redoubt with two embrasures. According to Prime, this work would sweep the Old Braddock road, and resist any attempt to outflank us from the left, by Union Mills road or road from Gaines' Ford."

American Civil War fortifications No.2: Land and field fortifications, by Ron Field and illustrated by Peter Dennis

Notes

Major J G Barnard, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed chief engineer, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, on 2 July, 1861.

Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 12 & 13 April, 1861: Captain J G Foster, First Lieutenant G W Snyder, and Second Lieutenant R K Meade, United States Corps Engineers, were stationed at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, on 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Defenses of Washington, D. C., 28 April, 1861-10 March, 1862: First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 28 April and 3 July, 1861; Captain D P Woodbury, United States Corps Engineers, between 29 April, 1861, and 10 March, 1862; Second Lieutenant H M Robert, United States Corps Engineers, between 29 April and 17 Octocer, 1861; Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, between 1 May and 8 July, 1861; Second Lieutenant D C Houston, United States Corps Engineers, between 13 May, 1861, and 6 February, 1862, and First Lieutenant G W Snyder and Brevet Second Lieutenant C E Cross, United States Corps Engineers, between 27 May and 1 July, 1861.

Note: Second Lieutenant H M Robert, United States Corps Engineers, was on a leave of absence between 27 November, 1860 and 27 April, 1861.

Occupation of Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, & Alexandria, Virginia, 23-24 May, 1861: Captains D P Woodbury and C E Blunt, First Lieutenant D C Houston, and Second Lieutenants C E Cross, United States Corps Engineers, were assigned to the right column, under the command of Captain W H Wood, 3rd United States Infantry, Company C; Captain B S Alexander, First Lieutenant F E Prime, and Second Lieutenant H M Robert to the centre column, under the command of Acting Inspector General & Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, and Captain H G Wright as a volunteer aide to Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, during the occupation of Alexandria and Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 23 and 24 May, 1861 (See Occupation of Arlington Heights and Alexandria).

Note: The 28th New State Militia Infantry, Company E, and the 5th New State Militia Infantry, Corps Engineers, under the command of First Lieutenant D C Houston, United States Corps Engineers, destroyed the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and two bridges in the vicinity of the intersection of the Georgetown & Falls Church Road and the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad on 24 May, 1861.

Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, & Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., 25 May, 1861: The 69th New State Militia Infantry, under the supervision of Captain D P Woodbury, United States Corps Engineers, was assigned to build entrenchments near Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, and the 7th New State Militia Infantry, under the supervision of Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., on 25 May, 1861.

Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, 27 May, 1861: Major J G Barnard, Captains B S Alexander and C E Blunt, First Lieutenants F E Prime and D C Houston, Second Lieutenants H M Robert, United States Corps Engineers, and detachments of the 7th New York State Militia Infantry, the 2nd New Jersey Militia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, the 3rd New Jersey Militia Infantry, and 4th New Jersey Militia Infantry were stationed at the works near Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, 27 May, 1861.

McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: Captain B S Alexander and Second Lieutenant D C Houston, United States Corps Engineers, were assigned to the First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers; Captain D P Woodbury and Brevet Second Lieutenant C E Cross to the Second Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D Hunter, 3rd United States Cavalry, Captain H G Wright, First Lieutenant G W Snyder to the Third Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, and Brevet Second Lieutenant F U Farquhar as acting aide de camp to Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, Third Division, McDowell's Army, and First Lieutenant F E Prime to the Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, on 15 July, 1861.

Captain C E Blunt, United States Corps Engineers, 4 May-20 November, 1861: Captain C E Blunt, United States Corps Engineers, was appointed assistant engineer in the construction of the defenses of Washington, D. C., between 4 May and 20 November, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.7: SERIES I, VOLUME 2 (S# 2), CHAPTER IX, pp.328-333
Major J G Barnard, United States Corps of Engineers

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.8: SERIES I, VOLUME 2 (S# 2), CHAPTER IX, pp.233-234
Captain D P Woodbury, United States Corps of Engineers

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.9: SERIES I, VOLUME 2 (S# 2), CHAPTER IX, pp.234-236
First Lieutenant F E Prime, United States Corps of Engineers

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'New York's Bravest', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.