The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, First Division

Captain A G McCook, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company H

Captain A G McCook, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company H

Second Ohio Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three months 29 April, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 23 May 1861

COLONEL L WILSON
Major L Wilson, 2nd Ohio Infantry, was appointed colonel, 2nd Ohio Infantry, at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 22 April, 1861, and resigned on 20 June, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL R MASON
R Mason was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd Ohio Infantry, at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 22 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the 2nd Ohio Infantry during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

MAJOR A C PARRY
A C Parry was appointed major, 2nd Ohio Infantry, at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 22 April, 1861.

Company A Rover Guards: CAPT. G M FINCH
The company was accepted in state service at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861.
Company B Columbus Videttes: CAPT. H THRALL
The company was accepted in state service at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861.
Company C Columbus or State Fencibles: CAPT. A O MITCHELL
The company was accepted in state service at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861.
Company D Zouave Guards: CAPT. J G BALDWIN
The company was accepted in state service at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 11.40 AM on 18 April, 1861.
Company E Lafayette Guards: CAPT. C HALtENHOF
The company was accepted in state service at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, under the command of Captain Miller, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 11.40 AM on 18 April, 1861. Captain Miller, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company E, was stationed at the Pennsylvania (State) Asylum, near Thirteenth Street, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on 8 May, 1861.
Company F (Springfield) Zouave Cadets: CAPT. D KING
The company was accepted in state service at Springfield, Clark County, Ohio, under the command of Captain E C Mason, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 11.40 AM on 18 April, 1861. Captain E C Mason, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company F, was appointed captain, 17th United States Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant D King, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company F, was appointed captain, 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company F, on 29 June, 1861.
Company G Pickaway Guards: CAPT. J Q BLACK
The company was accepted in state service at Circleville, Pickaway County, Ohio, under the command of Captain C B Mason, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861. The company was reorganised, under the command of Captain J Q Black, at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, the same day.
Company H Steubenville Guards: CAPT. A G MCCOOK
The company was accepted in state service at Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861.
Company I Harris Guards: CAPT. L A HARRIS
The company was accepted in state service at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861.
Company K Baldwin or Urbana Rifles: CAPT. W BALDWIN
The company was accepted in state service at Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861.
Band
Fifteen musicians were mustered in United States service at Washington, D. C., on 12 June, 1861, and was mustered out at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 31 July, 1861.

Sources

"The Covington Blues, Miami Co., report they will march tomorrow."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 18 April, 1861 - Columbus, 17 April, 1861

"Captain Len. A. Harris opened a rendezvous yesterday at the corner of Central avenue and Ninth street. At four o'clock in the afternoon he had ninety good men enrolled. He telegraphed to Columbus, and his company was at once accepted."

The Cincinnati Daily Register, 18 April, 1861 - Captain Harris' Company

"The occasion of the final mustering of the company of Capt. L. A. Harris, who depart this morning, was one of unusual interest."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861 - Military matters

"Cleveland Greys, Urbana Rifles and Shelby Guards, of Richland County, just arrived; latter two go into camp."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861 - Important items

"Company I, Urbana Rifles, Capt. Baldwin substituted for Piqua company in Second Regiment; the Third Regiment will move next week, into which Piua company will be drafted."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861 - Hamilton County troops to rendezvous at Cincinnat

"A large crowd greeted the Rovers, Lafayette Guards and Zouaves at the depot, at 11.38 A. M., when the train arrived. Capt. Mason's Springfield Zouaves arrived by the same train. The veteran Capt. McLaughlin also arrived with a stalwart company from Mansfield."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861

"Lieut. Col. H. Z. Mills will, by request, be relieved from command of Camp jackson at 3 P. M. tomorrow, and Col. E. A. King will assume command. By amicable arrangement the Circleville company reorganised at Columbus. J. Q. Black elected Captain. Capt. C. B. Mason returns home to raise another company."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861 - The military camp at Columbus, Columbus 18 April, 1861

"The early hour at which the Zouaves, Rovers and Lafayette Guards, marched for the Little Miami railroad Depot yesterday morning, prevented the presence of the tens of thousands who otherwise would have cheered them on the way; but there was, notwithstanding, an immense congregation in Fifth street market space, and at the Depot."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 19 April, 1861 - Movement of troops from Cincinnati

"The 1st and 2nd Ohio Volunteers ledt Columbus this morning for Washington. Part went by the Central Ohio, part by the Columbus and Steubenville, and part by the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati road - the latter installment (five companies) passing up on the 4.30 a.m. train. They will concentrate at Pittsburgh, and thence proceed in a body to the point of destination by the Pennsylvania Central and Northern Central roads, via Harrisburg, York, &c. to Baltimore, at which point they take the Washington Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio road."

The Delaware Gazette, 19 April, 1861 - Latest!

"Capt. Harris' Company, of Cincinnati, and Capt. Childs' Dayton Company, will leave Camp Jackson this afternoon, or tonight for Harrisburg."

The Daily Ohio Statesmen (Columbus), 25 April, 1861

"I heard a General Officer say this morning that our gallant fellow citizen, Capt. Len. A. Harris, has now the best drilled company in in camp. It is determind to order his command to join the Second Regiment immediately, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania - Capt. Harris and his company have attracted much attention since their arrival."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 25 April, 1861 - Capt. Len. A. Harris

"Franklin Blues and Harris Guards arrived at 3 P. M. today."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 27 April, 1861 - Arrival of more troops, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Lancaster, 26 April, 1861

"Capt. Len. A. Harris and company, and Capt. Kell's company, from Franklin, Warren County, left at three o'clock this afternoon, to join Ohio regiments in Pennsylvania or at any point to which they may be advanced. The former is recorded Company I, Second Regiment. The latter joins the First Regiment. Capt. Childs' Dayton Company received orders to join First Regiment, but he demurred. Capt. Kell's company was substituted. These troops go via Bellaire to Pittsburgh, thence to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Col. McDowell McCook commands both regiments."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 26 April, 1861 - Capt. Len. Harris and Company off for Pennsylvania, Columbus, Ohio, 25 April, 1861

"Last evening , about nine o'clock, the first and second Ohio regiments arrived, and marched to their quarters, the first to a house on Ninth street, between D and E steets, and the second on the corner of Tenth street and Louisiana avenue. The regiment is accompanied by the Cleveland brass band."

The National Republican, 24 May, 1861 - The Ohio boys in the field

"Yesterday afternoon at 21/2 o'clock the Firts Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, Col. McCook commanding, formed on the avenue between Sixth and Seventh streets, completely equipped for a march, with knapsacks and haversacks packed, and after a dress parade, marched off, and gave place to the Second Regiment Col. Wilson, similarly equipped, which alos after similar formalities moved away."

The National Republican, 25 May, 1861 - Encamped

"The First and Second Ohio regiments are in excellent spirits at their encampment, near Glenwood."

The Cadiz Democratic Sentinel, 12 June, 1861 - Temperance and health

"About eight o'clock last evening, the first and second Ohio regiments broke uo their encampment at Rock Creek, back of Willard's farm, and went over the Long Bridge into Virginia."

The National Republican, 15 June, 1861 - Movement of troops into Virginia

"At Taylor's Tavern there are two Connecticut regiments encamped, under the immediate command of Brigadier General Tyler; while the two Ohio regiments rested last night on Riley's Hill, about half a mile nearer (than Taylor's Tavern) to General McDowell's headquarters - the Arlington House. These changes of position of these four regiments involve an advance of Gen. McDowell's line some four miles. The position they occupy are very strong ones, being much more easily defended than the camps fron which they came yesterday and last night."

The Evening Star, 19 June, 1861 - The loss of the disnuionists on the day before yesterday at Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 June, 1861

"Soon after his appointment, General Schenck was put in command of the First and Second Ohio Regiments of Infantry, to which subsequently was added the Second New York State Militia, then encamped near Alexandria, in Virginia."

Robert C. Schenck, U.S.A., Major General of Volunteers, published by order of Union Central Committee, 3rd Congressiona District, Ohio

History of the city of Columbus, capital of Ohio, by Alfred E Lee

Official roster of the soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion 1861-1866, Volume 1, complied under the direction of the roster commission, Wm McKinley, Jr., Governor; Samuel M Taylor, Secretary of State; and James C Howe, Adjutant General

Ohio in the war: Her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers, Volume 2, by Whitelaw Reid

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 2, New York, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio

Notes

The 2nd Ohio Infantry was accepted in state service on 16 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Jackson, Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, under the call for 75,000 troops to serve three months by President A Lincoln on 15 April, 1861.

Special Orders No.50, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Ohio, Franklin County, 18 April, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, by Special Orders No.50, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Ohio, Franklin County, at 3 PM on 18 April, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel H Z Mills, 2nd Ohio Militia, was assigned to command Camp Jackson, Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861, and was relieved by Colonel E A King, Ohio Militia, at 3 PM on 19 April, 1861.

Cincinnati, Hamilton County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Companies A, D, & E, 18 April, 1861: The Rover Guards, the Lafayette Guards, and the Zouave Guards, under the command of Major L Wilson and Adjutant A C Parry, were ordered to proceed by the Little Miami Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 18 April, 1861, and arrived by the Columbus & Xenia Railroad at 11.40 AM the same day.

Note: The Portsmouth Guards arrived by the steaner Bostona on the Ohio River at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, in the evening on 17 April, 1861, and ordered to proceed by the Little Miami Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 18 April, 1861 (See the 1st Ohio Infantry).

Springfield, Clark County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Company F, 18 April, 1861: The Zouave Cadets arrived by the Columbus & Xenia Railroad at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 11.40 AM the same day.

Special Orders No.52, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, 18 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry and 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Washington, D. C., by Special Orders No.52, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, dated 18 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry and 2nd Ohio Infantry were ordered to rendezvous at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3.30 PM on 19 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Companies B, C, F, & G, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Company G, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, F, and G, were ordered to proceed by the Cleveland, Columbus & Cinncinnati Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad via Crestline, Crawford and Richland Counties, Ohio, in the morning the same day.

Note: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Major J Wilson, Ohio (Militia) Volunteers, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Company K, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, I, and K, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company K, were ordered to proceed by the Steubenville Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad in the morning the same day.

Note: The 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company H, was stationed at Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 19 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Companies A, D, & E, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies E, F, and H, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Companies A, D, and E, were ordered to proceed by the Central (Ohio) Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad in the morning the same day.

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 19-20 April, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, between 8 and 10 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at 11 PM on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry and the 2nd Ohio Infantry were stationed at the Senate Chamber of the State House, on State Street, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 21 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 23 April, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry arrived by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 4 AM on 23 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Company I, 25-26 April, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company I, was ordered to proceed by the Central (Ohio) Railroad to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 25 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Ohio Infantry, Company F (See the 1st Ohio Infantry). The company arrived by the Harrisburg & Lancaster Railroad at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, near Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 26 April, 1861.

Note: The Covington Blues and the Miami Guards, under the command of Captains J C Langston and S Johnston, respectively, were assigned to the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Companies I and K, on 18 April, 1861, and Harris Guards (92) was stationed at Camp Jackson, Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 24 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 29 April, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was mustered in United States service for three months at Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, by First Lieutenant A McD McCook, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, on 29 April, 1861.

Lancaster, Lancaster County, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 8-9 May, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 9 AM on 8 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp McClellan, on Suffolk Park, seven miles southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 9 May 1861.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Washington, D. C., 23 May 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry (1,000) was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 5 AM on 23 May, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Baltimore City and Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 9 PM the same day.

Tenth Street & Louisiana Avenue, Washington, D. C., 23 May, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was stationed at Tenth Street and Louisiana Avenue, Washington, D. C., on 23 May, 1861.

Tenth Street & Louisiana Avenue, Washington, to the rear of Douglas Hill, near Glenwood Cemetery, D. C., 24 May, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to the rear of Douglas Hill, near Glenwood Cemetery, D. C., at 2 PM on 24 May, 1861, and was stationed at the rear of Douglas Hill, near Glenwood Cemetery, D. C., between 24 May and 13 June, 1861.

Rear of Douglas Hill, near Glenwood Cemetery, to woods near Rock Creek, north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., 13 June, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to woods near Rock Creek, north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., at 11 AM on 13 June, 1861, and was stationed at woods near Rock Creek, north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., between 13 and 14 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.140, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., 12 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry and the 2nd Ohio Infantry were assigned to Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, by Special Orders No.140, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 12 June, 1861.

Woods near Rock Creek, north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., to Roach's Mills, Alexandria County, Virginia, 14 June, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 8 PM on 14 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Lincoln, near Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Riley's Hill, near Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, 18 June, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Riley's Hill, near Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, in the evening on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Ohio Infantry. The regiment arrived at Camp Upton, Riley's Hill, near Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, in the evening the same day.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived via Falls Church, and Old Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill and Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The 2nd Ohio Infantry encamped near Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 18 July, 1861. The regiment was stationed near the Warrenton Turnpike, one mile south of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 5 AM the same day.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and proceeded to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General R C Schenck, at 5 PM the same day. The regiment arrived at Vienna via Fairfax Courthouse and Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3.30 AM on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R Mason, at 5.30 AM the same day. The 2nd Ohio Infantry arrived at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., via Riley's Hill, near Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered across the Potomac River to Washington, D. C., in the evening the same day.

Mustered out, Columbus, Franklin County, & Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, 31 July & 9 August, 1861: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Columbus, Franklin County, and Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, in the afternoon on 25 July, 1861, and Companies B, C, F, H, and K were mustered out at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, by Captain H Stansby, United States Topographical Engineers, on 31 July, 1861, and Companies A, D, E, and I at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, by Captain P H Breslin, 18th United States Infantry, Company D, on 9 August, 1861.

Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Volunteers, Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army: R C Schenck, Ohio, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.19: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp373-377
Brigadier General R S Schenck, United States Volunteers, Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated 23 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861