The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, First Division

Colonel A McD McCook, 1st Ohio Infantry

Colonel A McD McCook, 1st Ohio Infantry

First Ohio Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three months 29 April, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 29 May, 1861. Reorganised for three years United States service 30 October, 1861

COLONEL A MCD MCCOOK
First Lieutenant A Mcd. McCook, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, was appointed colonel, 1st Ohio Infantry, on 16 April, 1861, and was appointed captain, 3rd United States Infantry, Company D, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel A Mcd. McCook, 1st Ohio Infantry, was appointed brevet major and captain, 3rd United States Infantry, Company E, for gallant and meritorious services at the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL E A PARROTT
Honourable E A Parrott was appointed major, 1st Ohio Infantry, on 16 April, 1861, and was temporarily assigned to command the 1st Ohio Infantry at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 19 April, 1861. Major E A Parrott, 1st Ohio Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Ohio Infantry, on 23 April, 1861.

MAJOR J G HUGHES
Captain J G Hughes, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company D, was appointed major, 1st Ohio Infantry, on 23 April, 1861.

Company A Lancaster Guards: CAPT. J A STAFFORD
The company was accepted in state service at Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the evening on 17 April, 1861. Captain J A Stafford, 1st Ohio Infantry, was killed at the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.
Company B Lafayette Guards: CAPT. P DISTER
The company was accepted in state service at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 18 April, 1861.
Company C Dayton Light Guards: CAPT. G D McKinney
The company was accepted in state service at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, under the command of Captain W B Pease, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the evening on 17 April, 1861. Captain W B Pease, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company C, was appointed captain, 17th United States Infantry, on 14 May, 1861, and Sergeant Major G D McKinney, 1st Ohio Infantry, was appointed captain, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company C, on 2 July, 1861.
Company D Montgomery Guards: CAPT. J Crowe
The company was accepted in state service at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, under the command of Captain J G Hughes, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the evening on 17 April, 1861. Captain J G Hughes, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company D, was appointed major, 1st Ohio Infantry, on 23 April, 1861.
Company E Cleveland Greys, First Brigade, Eighteenth Division, Ohio (Volunteer) Militia: CAPT. J Ensworth
The company was accepted in state service at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, under the command of Captain T S Paddock, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861. Captain T S Paddock, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, resigned at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on 30 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant J Ensworth, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, was appointed captain, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, on 2 July, 1861.
Company F Franklin Blues: CAPT. J Kell
The company was accepted in state service at Franklin, Warren County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and was stationed at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 24 April, 1861.
Company G Portsmouth Guards: CAPT. G B Bailey
The company was accepted in state service at Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 11.40 AM on 18 April, 1861.
Company H Zanesville Guards: CAPT. J C Hazlett
The company was accepted in state service at Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the evening the same day.
Company I Mansfield Guards: CAPT. W McLaughlin
The company was accepted in state service at Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 18 April, 1861.
Company K Hamilton or Jackson Guards: CAPT. J Bruck
The company was accepted in state service at Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Dayton Light Guards, Capt. Pease, and the Montgomery Guards, Capt. Hughes, left for Columbus at 7 o'clock this evening. There were 230 men in the two companies. The Lafayette Guards, Capt. Dister, will leave at 12 o'clock tonight."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), 18 April, 1861 - Dayton, 17 April, 1861

"A company from Portsmouth arrived on the Bostona last evening, and will also leave this morning with the above detachment."

The Cincinnati Daily Enquirer, 18 April, 1861

"The Cleveland Grays have filled their ranks and a firmer set of men could not be mustered. A special train will convey the Grays to Columbus this afternoon, leaving at 2.30."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), 18 April, 1861 - The Grays

"The Guards will not be ready to proceed to Columbus today as their ranks are not full. Capt. Kinny is actively engaged in putting his company in order for marching."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), 18 April, 1861 - The Hibernian Guards

"The Grays left for Columbus on a special train at 8.50 this afternoon."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), 18 April, 1861 - Departure of the Grays

"Company 'A' Capt. Stafford, composed of 100 men left on a special train for Columbus at 5 o'clock, en route for Washington."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 18 April, 1861 - Lancaster in the field, Lancaster, Ohio, 17 April, 1861

"To the courtesy of Gen. Henry Wilson, of this city, who, as Major General of the Fifth Division, Ohio Militia, is in active and efficient service, we are indeted for several important items of information, respecting the following military companies that had arrived in this city up to noon today, and are now in encampment in Goodale Park: Dayton Light Guards, Capt. Pease - 124 men rank and file; Montgomery Guards, Dayton, Capt. Hughes - 59 men rank and file; Lafayette Guards, Dayton, Capt. Deister - 53 men rank and file; Jackson Guards, Hamilton, Capt. Bruck - 30 men rank and file; Company A, Lancaster, Capt. Stafford - 100 men rank and file; the Zouave Guards from Springfield, and a company from Mansfield. Beside these, there arrived at about noon today a battalion of several companies fron Cincinnati, under the command of Major Lewis Wilson, Adjutant A. C. Parry and Sergeant J. D. Webb, and consisting of 237 men rank and file."

The Daily Ohio Statesmen (Columbus), 18 April, 1861 - Military movements

"As I telegraphed you last night Gen. McLaughlin's Company of Volunteers, 75 in number, was raised in less than two hours. This morning the Company met at Miller's Hall for the election of officers. The Company was not able to get through with all arrangements in time to leave for Columbus today, as originally intended, but will leave on the early train tomorrow."

The Daily Commercial Register (Sandusky), 19 April, 1861 - Mansfield, 17 April, 1861

"The 1st and 2nd Ohio Volunteers left Columbus this morning for Washington. Part went by the Central Ohio, part by the Columbus and Steubenville, and part by the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati road - the latter installment (five companies) passing up on the 4.30 a.m. train. They will concentrate at Pittsburgh, and thence proceed in a body to the point of destination by the Pennsylvania Central and Northern Central roads, via Harrisburg, York, &c. to Baltimore, at which point they take the Washington Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio road."

The Delaware Gazette, 19 April, 1861 - Latest!

"A dispatch was received Saturday night stating that the Grays were at Harrisburgh but would leave soon for Washington. All are well and in good spirits. They were anxious to be joined by Capt. Paddock. The Captain left this morning on the 9.25 Pittsburgh train."

The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), 22 April, 1861 - The Grays

"Capt. Len. A. Harris and company, and Capt. Kell's company, from Franklin, Warren County, left at three o'clock this afternoon, to join Ohio regiments in Pennsylvania or at any point to which they may be advanced. The former is recorded Company I, Second Regiment. The latter joins the First Regiment. Capt. Childs' Dayton Company received orders to join First Regiment, but he demurred. Capt. Kell's company was substituted. These troops go via Bellaire to Pittsburgh, thence to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Col. McDowell McCook commands both regiments."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 26 April, 1861 - Capt. Len. Harris and Company off for Pennsylvania, Columbus, Ohio, 25 April, 1861

"Franklin Blues and Harris Guards arrived at 3 P. M. today."

The Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, 27 April, 1861 - Arrival of more troops, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Lancaster, 26 April, 1861

"The First and Second Ohio Regiments, which have been quartered at lancaster for two weeks, reached West Philadelphia at two o'clock yesterday afternoon and marched at once to Suffolk Park, on the Blue Bell, and Penrose Ferry road, one mile from Darby turnpike."

The Philadelphia Press, 9 May, 1861 - The Ohio troops abroad

"Last evening, about nine o'clock, the first and second Ohio regiments arrived, and marched to their quarters, the first to a house on Ninth street, between D and E steets, and the second on the corner of Tenth street and Louisiana avenue. The regiment is accompanied by the Cleveland brass band."

The National Republican, 24 May, 1861 - The Ohio boys in the field

"Yesterday afternoon at 2 1/2 o'clock the Firts Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, Col. McCook commanding, formed on the avenue between Sixth and Seventh streets, completely equipped for a march, with knapsacks and haversacks packed, and after a dress parade, marched off, and gave place to the Second Regiment Col. Wilson, similarly equipped, which also after similar formalities moved away."

The National Republican, 25 May, 1861 - Encamped

"The First and Second Ohio regiments are in excellent spirits at their encampment, near Glenwood."

The Cadiz Democratic Sentinel, 12 June, 1861 - Temperance and health

"The first and second Ohio regiments yesterday afternoon left their camp in rear of Douglas Hill, and moved out to the beautiful wood near Rock Creek, north of Willard's Farm."

The National Republican, 14 June, 1861 - Movement of troops into Virginia

"About eight o'clock last evening, the first and second Ohio regiments broke up their encampment at Rock Creek, back of Willard's farm, and went over the Long Bridge into Virginia."

The National Republican, 15 June, 1861 - Movement of troops into Virginia

"The First and Second Ohio Regiments went into Virginia tonight."

The Cincinnati Daily Press, 17 June, 1861 - Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 14 June, 1861

"At Taylor's Tavern there are two Connecticut regiments encamped, under the immediate command of Brigadier General Tyler; while the two Ohio regiments rested last night on Riley's Hill, about half a mile nearer (than Taylor's Tavern) to General McDowell's headquarters - the Arlington House. These changes of position of these four regiments involve an advance of Gen. McDowell's line some four miles. The position they occupy are very strong ones, being much more easily defended than the camps fron which they came yesterday and last night."

The Evening Star, 19 June, 1861 - The loss of the disnuionists on the day before yesterday at Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

The Cleveland Greys: An urban military company, 1837-1919, by George N Vourlojianis

Major General Alexander M. McCook, U.S.A: A Civil War biography, by Wayne Fanebust

Bull Run to Atlanta: The Civil War letters of Harry Comer, Company A, 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, edited by Daniel A. Masters

Robert C. Schenck, U.S.A., Major General of Volunteers, published by order of Union Central Committee, 3rd Congressiona District, Ohio

Ohio in the war: Her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers, Volume 2, by Whitelaw Reid

Official roster of the soldiers of the state of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion 1861-1866, Volume 1, complied under the direction of the roster commission, Wm McKinley, Jr., Governor; Samuel M Taylor, Secretary of State; and James C Howe, Adjutant General

History of the city of Columbus, capital of Ohio, by Alfred E Lee

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 2, New York, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio

Notes

The 1st Ohio Infantry was accepted in state service for three months at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 19 April, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Accepted in state service, Lancaster, Fairfield County; Dayton, Montgomery County; Cleveland, Cuyahoga County; Portsmouth, Scioto County; Hamilton, Butler County; Franklin, Warren County; Zanesville, Muskingum County; & Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio, 16-17 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Company A, was accepted in state service at Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861; Companies B, C, and D, at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861; Company E at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861; Company G at Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861; Company K at Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio, on 16 April, 1861; Company F at Franklin, Warren County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861; Company H at Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861; and Company I at Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio, on 17 April, 1861;

Note: Colonel A McD McCook's father, D McCook, Sr., was assigned to the Frontier Guards on 18 April, 186 (See the Independent Companies, Department of Washington).

Special Orders No.50, State of Ohio, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Ohio, Franklin County, 18 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, by Special Orders No.50, State of Ohio, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Ohio, Franklin County, at 3 PM on 18 April, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel H Z Mills, 2nd Ohio Militia, was assigned to command Camp Jackson, Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861, and was relieved by Colonel E A King, Ohio Militia, at 3 PM on 19 April, 1861.

Lancaster, Fairfield County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Company A, 17 April, 1861: The Lancaster Guards (109) was ordered to proceed by the Cincinnati, Wilmington & Zanesville Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 5 PM on 17 April, 1861.

Dayton, Montgomery County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Companies B, C, & D, 17 & 18 April, 1861: The Dayton Light Guards and the Montgomery Guards were ordered to proceed by the Dayton, Xenia & Belpre Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 7 PM on 17 April, 1861, and the Lafayette Guards at 12 AM on 18 April, 1861.

Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Company E, 18 April, 1861: The Cleveland Greys was ordered to proceed by the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 2.50 PM on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at 11 PM the same day.

Note: Captain T S Paddock, Cleveland Greys, was ordered to proceed by the Steubenville Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 9.25 AM on 22 April, 1861.

Zanesville, Muskingum County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Company E, 18 April, 1861: The Zanesville Guards was ordered to proceed by the Central (Ohio) Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the evening on 18 April, 1861.

Portsmouth, Scioto County, to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, Company G, 17-18 April, 1861: The Portsmouth Guards arrived by the steaner Bostona on the Ohio River at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, in the evening on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Little Miami Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the morning on 18 April, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Rover Guards, the Lafayette Guards, and Zouave Guards and arrived by the Columbus & Xenia Railroad at 11.40 AM the same day (See the 2nd Ohio Infantry).

Note: The Hibernian Guards, under the command of Captains W Ke(i)nney, was assigned to the 1st Ohio Infantry, Company F, on 18 April, 1861, and was stationed at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on 19 April, 1861. The company was ordered to the Cuyahoga County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, on Kinsman Street, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, at 12 PM on 22 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the National Guards, under the command of Captain J J Wiseman. The Hibernian Guards were mustered in United States service for three months as the 8th Ohio Infantry, Company B, at Camp Taylor, Cuyahoga County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, on Kinsman Street, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, by Captain J H Simpson, United States Corps Topographical Engineers, on 26 April, 1861.

Special Orders No.52, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, 18 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry and 2nd Ohio Infantry were ordered to Washington, D. C., by Special Orders No.52, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, dated 18 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry and 2nd Ohio Infantry were ordered to rendezvous at Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3.30 PM on 19 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Company G, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Company G, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, F, and G, were ordered to proceed by the Cleveland, Columbus & Cinncinnati Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad via Crestline, Crawford and Richland Counties, Ohio, in the morning the same day.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, under the command of Major E A Parrott, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Companies A, B, C, D, I, & K, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, I, and K, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company K, were ordered to proceed by the Steubenville Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad in the morning the same day.

Note: The 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company H, was stationed at Steubenville, Jefferson County, Ohio, on 18 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 19 April, 1861 (See the 2nd Ohio Infantry).

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Companies E & H, 19 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies E and H, and the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Companies A, D, and E, were ordered to proceed by the Central (Ohio) Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 3 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad in the morning the same day.

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, 19-20 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, between 8 and 10 AM on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at 11 PM on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry and the 2nd Ohio Infantry were stationed at the Senate Chamber of the State House, on State Street, Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 21 April, 1861.

Harrisburg, Dauphin County, to Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 23 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 4 AM on 23 April, 1861.

Note: Captain T S Paddock, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, arrived at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 23 April, 1861.

Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, to Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Company F, 25-26 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Company F, was ordered to proceed by the Central (Ohio) Railroad to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 25 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Ohio Infantry, Company I (See the 2nd Ohio Infantry). The company arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 26 April, 1861.

Note: The Franklin Blues (119) and the Payton Guards (92), under the command of Captains J Kell and C J Childs, respectively, were stationed at Camp Jackson, Goodale Park, on Park Street, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 24 April, 1861, and Captain C J Childs declined to proceed by Central (Ohio) Railroad to Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 25 April, 1861. The Payton Guards was assigned to the 3rd Ohio Infantry by Special Orders No.90, General Headquarters, Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 25 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 29 April, 1861, dated 16 & 17 April, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, G, and K, were mustered in United States service for three months at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, by First Lieutenant A McD McCook, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, on 29 April, 1861, dated 16 April, 1861, and Companies F, H, and I, on 29 April, 1861, dated 17 April, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant A McD McCook, 3rd United States Infantry, Company G, was assigned as mustering and distribution officer at Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, between 22 and 27 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the 1st Ohio Infantry at Camp Dennison, Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on 29 April, 1861.

Lancaster County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, in the vicinity of Wheatland, one mile west of Lancaster, Lancaster County, to Suffolk Park, on Island Road, seven miles southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 8 May, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Pennsylvania Railroad to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 9 AM on 8 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp McClellan, Suffolk Park, on Island Road, seven miles southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 2 PM the same day.

Suffolk Park, on Island Road, seven miles southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Washington, D. C., 23 May 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry (1,000) was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 5 AM on 23 May, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Baltimore City and Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 9 PM the same day.

Note: Captain T S Paddock, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, arrived at Camp McClellan, on Suffolk Park, on Island Road, seven miles southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 8 PM on 11 May 1861, and was ordered to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, on 13 May, 1861.

Ninth Street, between D & E Street, Washington, D. C., 23 May, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was stationed at Ninth Street, between D and E Street, Washington, D. C., on 23 May, 1861.

Ninth Street, between D & E Street, Washington, to the rear of Douglas Hill, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., 24 May, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to the rear of Douglas Hill, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., at 2 PM on 24 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry was stationed at Camp Sherman, the rear of Douglas Hill, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., between 24 May and 13 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.140, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., 12 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry and the 2nd Ohio Infantry were assigned to Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, by Special Orders No.140, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 12 June, 1861.

Rear of Douglas Hill, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, to woods east of Rock Creek & north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., 13 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to woods east of Rock Creek and north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., at 11 AM on 13 June, 1861.

Woods east of Rock Creek & north of F Willard's Farm, D. C., to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, 14-15 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River by the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 8 PM on 14 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Ohio Infantry (See the 2nd Ohio Infantry). The regiment arrived at Camp Lincoln or Pine Hill, on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 June, 1861.

Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry (668), was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, at 1.30 PM on 17 June, 1861.

Note: The 69th New York State Militia was stationed at the junction of the wagon road and the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, one mile west of Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel D Hunter, 3rd United States Cavalry, on 16 June, 1861, and was ordered to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 18 June, 1861 (See the 69th New York State Militia).

Skirmish at Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, Companies C, E, G, & H, 17 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies C, E, G, and H (275), under the command of Colonel A McD McCook and Major J G Hughes, were ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 June, 1861, and were accompanied by Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army (See the Skirmish at Vienna). Companies C, E, G, and H were engaged in a skirmish on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile southeast of Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day and the 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies C, E, G, and H, were ordered to withdraw to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 17 June, 1861. Companies C, E, G, and H arrived at the junction of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile northwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 10 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, the 2nd Connecticut Infantry, under the command of Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut (Militia) Volunteers, arrived at the junction of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile northwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 18 June, 1861.

Distribution of 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies A, B, D, F, I, & K, 17 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry (135), Companies I and K, were stationed at the junction of the wagon road and the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, one mile east of Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia; Companies A and B (117), under Lieutenant Colonel E A Parrott, at Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; and Companies D and F (135) were assigned to guard the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and bridge between the junction of the wagon road and the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, one mile east of Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, and Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Ohio Infantry was ordered to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, was stationed at a farmhouse in the vicinity of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day (See the 2nd Ohio Infantry).

Junction of the wagon road & the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, one mile east of Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, to Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry arrived at Camp Upton, Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 June, 1861.

Note: Captain T S Paddock, 1st Ohio Infantry, Company E, was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on 27 June, 1861, and arrived in the evening on 29 June, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Disposition of the Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Army, Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, Fairfax County, Virginia; 1st Ohio Infantry, Colonel A McD McCook, Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, Fairfax County, Virginia; 2nd Ohio Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel R Mason, Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, Fairfax County, Virginia; 2nd New York State Militia, Colonel G W B Tompkins, Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, Captain J H Carlisle, Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived via Falls Church and Old Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 July, 1861, and arrived three miles west of Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day. The regiment was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived south of the Warrenton Turnpike, one and half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day.

Note: Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, arrived at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM on 17 July, 1861.

South of the Warrenton Turnpike, one & half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to three quarters of a mile east of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived south of the Warrenton Turnpike, three quarters of a mile east of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 5 AM the same day.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 PM the same day. The regiment arrived at Vienna via Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3.30 AM on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered to the Chain or Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C., at Peach Grove (Post Office), Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM the same day. The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Chain Little Falls Bridge, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C., to Washington, D. C., in the evening on 22 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry was stationed at Union Block, on the corner of Sixth and Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., on 24 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, 25-29 July, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, in the afternoon on 25 July, 1861, and arrived by the Central (Ohio) Railroad in the afternoon on 29 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Columbus, Franklin County, & Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, 1, 2, 3, & 16 August, 1861: The 1st Ohio Infantry, Companies E, G, and H, were mustered out at Camp Chase, four miles west of Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, by Captain H Hanshaw, United States Topographical Engineers, on 1 August, 1861; Companies I and K on 2 August, 1861; and Company A, on 3 August, 1861; Companies B, C, D, and F at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, by First Lieutenant A B Denton, 18th United States Infantry, on 16 August, 1861.

Brigadier General R C Schenck, United States Volunteers, Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army: R C Schenck, Ohio, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.2: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp124-128
Brigadier General R S Schenck, United States Volunteers, Ohio Brigade, dated Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.19: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp373-377
Brigadier General R S Schenck, United States Volunteers, Second Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated 23 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861