The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, First Division

Colonel G S Burnham, 1st Connecticut Infantry

Colonel G S Burnham, 1st Connecticut Infantry

First Connecticut Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three months 23 April, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 13 May, 1861

COLONEL G S BURNHAM
D Tyler was appointed colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 15 April, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, on 13 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel G S Burnham, 1st Connecticut Infantry, was appointed colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 10 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL J SPEIDEL
Captain G S Burnham, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company A, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 23 April, 1861, and colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 10 May, 1861. Major J L Chatfield, 1st Connecticut Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel the same day and colonel, 3rd Connecticut Infantry, on 31 May, 1861. Captain J Speidel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company B, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 1 June, 1861, dated 28 May, 1861.

MAJOR T BYXBEE
Captain J L Chatfield, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company D, was appointed major, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 23 April, 1861, and lieutenant colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 10 May, 1861. Captain T Byxbee, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company F, was appointed major, 1st Connecticut Infantry, on 28 May, 1861.

Infantry Company A Hartford Light Guards: CAPT. J S COMSTOCK
The company was accepted in state service at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861.
Infantry Company B: CAPT. J H CHAPMAN
The company was accepted in state service at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, under the command of Captain I Wright, on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861. Captain I Wright, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company B, resigned at Camp Buckingham, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., and First Lieutenant J H Chapman, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company B, was appointed captain on 21 May, 1861.
Infantry Company C: CAPT. L N HILLMAN
The company was accepted in state service at Windsor Locks, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 22 April, 1861.
Infantry Company D Waterbury City Guards: CAPT. M COON
The company was accepted in state service at Waterbury, New Haven County, Connecticut, under the command of Captain J L Chatfield, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 3 PM the same day. Captain J L Chatfield and First Lieutenant M Coon, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company D, were appointed major, 1st Connecticut Infantry, and captain, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company D, respectively, on 23 April, 1861.
Infantry Company E Wooster Guards: CAPT. E E WILDMAN
The company was accepted in state service at Danbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut, on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 6 PM on the same day.
Infantry Company F Meriden Light Guards: CAPT. G W WILSON
The company was accepted in state service at West Meriden, New Haven County, Connecticut, under the command of Captain T Byxbee, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the afternoon on 22 April, 1861. Captain T Byxbee and First Lieutenant G W Wilson, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company F, were appointed major, 1st Connecticut Infantry, and captain, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company F, respectively, on 28 May, 1861.
Infantry Company G: CAPT. F W HART
The company was accepted in state service at New Britain, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the morning on 23 April, 1861.
Infantry Company H: CAPT. R FITZGIBBON
The company was accepted in state service at Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the morning on 23 April, 1861.
Rifle Company A Hartford Rifles: CAPT. J R HAWLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, under the command of Captain G S Burnham, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861. Captain G S Burnham and First Lieutenant J R Hawley, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company A, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, and captain, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company A, respectively, on 23 April, 1861,
Rifle Company B Bridgeport Rifles: CAPT. J HOLZER
The company was accepted in state service at Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut, under the command of Captain J Spiedel, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the morning on 23 April, 1861. Captain J Spiedel and First Lieutenant J Holzer, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company B, were appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Connecticut Infantry, and captain, 1st Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company B, at Camp Buckingham, in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., on 1 June, 1861, dated 28 May, 1861.
Band: Band Leader J P King
The band was organised with thirteen musicians at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 23 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Hartford Light Guard on Monday night, by a unanimus vote, voluntered their service for the defense of the government."

The New London Daily Chronicle, 17 April, 1861 - The Hartford Light Guard voluntered

"On Monday morning five companies of Volunteers from abroad had reported themselves at the State rendezvous at New Haven, viz: the Wooster Guards, Danbury; Hartford Light Guard, Harford Rifles, Waterbury City Guard and Capt. Ira Wright's new infantry Co., from hartford. Besides these, a new company raised in New Haven by General John Arnild, 120 strong, the Greys, and the Emmett Guard, of New Haven, are on the ground and ready for service, and last evening the Buckingham Rifles, numbering 100, arrived here. The companies arrived at quartered as follow: Wooster Guards and Waterbury City Guard athe the New Haven Hotel; the Hartford Light Guard, at the State House; Hartford Rifles at the Hall of the Alumni Building on the college grounds; and Capt. Wright's Hartford Infantry Co., at the Hotel."

The New London Daily Chronicle, 23 April, 1861 - The troops at New Haven

"The Meridian corps, Capt. Theodore Byxbee, and a Windsor company, Capt. Abraham Kellogg, were expected to reach New Haven last night. The Middletown companies, Capt. Frederick Hart and Capt. David Dickinson, were expected to arrive this morning. The Winsor Locks company, Capt. Lexi N. Hillman, went down yesterday morning. By the promotion of Capt. Burnham, Lieut. Hawley has been appointed Captain; 2d Lieut. Drake has been advanced to the 1st Lieutenancy; and Daniel G. Francis elected to the vacancy caused by his promotion."

The Hartford Daily Courant, 23 April, 1861 - The Connecticut troops at the rendezvous

"Two companies from Bridgeport arrived at New Haven yesterday. There are now fifteen companies here, and three or more expected today."

The Hartford Daily Courant, 24 April, 1861 - War matters in Connecticut, New Haven

"Capt. Chatfield, of the Waterbury City Guard, has been promoted to the position of Major of the 1st Regiment. The command of the waterbury company falls upon the 1st Lieut, Marcus Coon, who is well qualified for the position."

The Columbian Register (New Haven), 27 April, 1861 - Promotion

"The Bridgeport German Rifle Co., Capt. John Speidel, and a volunteer Co. from the same place, under command of Capt. Fitzgibbons, arrived this morning, each numbering about 90 men. A company for the 2d Reg., of Meridien, Capt. Byxbee, with 83 men, reached here yesterday afternoon."

The Columbian Register (New Haven), 27 April, 1861 - More troops

"Saturday morning, at 7 1/2 o'clock, Infantry Co. A, Capt. John L. Comstock, and Rifle Co. A, Capt. George S. Burnham, of the First Regiment of Connecticut Volunteers, left their quarters for the Asylum street station, to take the cars for rendezvous at New Haven. Then the crowd cheered lustily for Captain Wright, and escorted him to the cars, and a special train, at 8 1/2 o'clock, took Infantry Co. B, Capt. Wright, to the rendezvous at New Haven."

The Connecticut Courant (Hartford), 27 April, 1861 - Incidents of the day

"The first of Connecticut regiment, Colonel Alfred H. Terry, arrived at the Arsenal about 5 o'clock on Sunday afternnon, and, yesterday morning, they formed into line and marched to their quarters prepared for them at Seventh street Park."

The National Republican, 14 May, 1861 - Arrival of the first Connecticut regiment

"The first of Connecticut volunteers, Colonel Daniel Tyler, 780 men, with ten baggage wagons and thirty or forty horses, embarked on the Bienville, at New Haven, Thursday evening, for the seat of war."

The National Republican, 13 May, 1861 - Departure of Connecticut troops for Washington

"About 1 o'clock on Sunday morning the First Connecticut Regiment broke up camp near Park Hotel and marched over into Virginia to Roach's Mills, on Four Mile Run, about 9 miles distant from Washington, for the purpose of relieving the New York Twelfth, which returned to Camp Anderson yesterday at 2 p.m."

The Evening Star, 3 June, 1861 - Departure of Connecticut troops for Washington

"At Taylor's Tavern there are two Connecticut regiments encamped, under the immediate command of Brigadier General Tyler; while the two Ohio regiments rested last night on Riley's Hill, about half a mile nearer (than Taylor's Tavern) to General McDowell's headquarters - the Arlington House. These changes of position of these four regiments involve an advance of Gen. McDowell's line some four miles. The position they occupy are very strong ones, being much more easily defended than the camps fron which they came yesterday and last night."

The Evening Star, 19 June, 1861 - The loss of the disnuionists on the day before yesterday at Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 June, 1861

"We are right in the midst of the enemy. The second Connecticut regiment, under command of Lieutenant Colonel David S, Young, (Colonel Terry being sick and in hospital at Washington,) is the advance guard; next is the first Connecticut regiment, Colonel Burnham; next is the first and second Ohio regiments, Colonels McCook and Wislon. Generals Tyler of Connecticut and Schenck of Ohio, are also in command."

The National Republican, 21 June, 1861 - From over the river

"The day of their arrival, May 13, they pitched their camp about two miles north of the capital, on the pleasant grounds of the wealthy banker Corcoran, called Glenwood."

"They occupied their old camping-grounds the day after the battle, and, being ordered to Fort Corcoran, made their appearance there with six prisoners (many more had escaped), two pieces of abandoned artillery, one caisson, the implements of the sappers and miners, twenty horses, all their own baggage and camp equipage, and the tents and equipage of two Ohio regiments, the 2d New-York, and a company of cavalry, with their baggage-wagons and property, which had been deserted."

The military and civil history of Connecticut during the war of 1861-65: Comprising a detailed account of the various regiments and batteries, through march, encampment, bivouac, and battle, also instances of distinguished personal gallantry, and biographical sketches of many heroic soldiers, together with a record of the patriotic action of citizens at home, and of the liberal support furnished by the state in its executive and legislative departments, by W A Croffut and John M Morris

History of Danbury, Conn., 1684-1896, from notes and manuscript left by James Montgomery Bailey, compiled with additions by Susan Benedict Hill

Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, infantry, cavalry, and artillery, in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, prepared from records in the Adjutant General's Office, published by order of the legislative, C M Ingersoll, Adjutant General

Record of service of Connecticut men in the army and navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion, compiled by authority of the General Assembly under direction of the adjutants general, Brig. Gen. Stephen R. Smith, Adjutant General, 1885-1886; Brig. Gen. Frederick E. Camp, Adjutant General, 1887-1888; Brig. Gen. Lucius A. Barbour, Adjutant General, 1889; Col. George M. White, Adjutant General, from 1885, Hartford, Connecticut

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 1, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Delaware

Notes

The 1st Connecticut Infantry was accepted in state service for three months at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 16 April, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 9 May, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

General Orders No.232, General Headquarters, State of Connecticut, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, 16 April, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was accepted in state service and ordered to rendezvous at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, by General Orders No.232, General Headquarters, State of Connecticut, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 16 April, 1861.

General Orders No.237, General Headquarters, State of Connecticut, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, 18 April, 1861: General Orders No.232, General Headquarters, State of Connecticut, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, dated 16 April, 1861, was countermanded and the 1st Connecticut Infantry and 2nd Connecticut Infantry were ordered to rendezvous at New Haven, New haven County, Connecticut, by General Orders No.237, General Headquarters, State of Connecticut, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, on 18 April, 1861 (See the 2nd Connecticut Infantry).

Hartford, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company E, 19 April, 1861: The Wooster Guards was ordered to proceed by the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the afternoon on 19 April, 1861, and arrived by the New Haven, New London & Stonnington Railroad at 6 PM the same day.

Hartford, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company A & Rifle Company A, 20 April, 1861: The Hartford Light Guards and the Hartford Rifles were ordered to proceed by the New Haven, Hartford & Springfield Railroad to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 8.15 AM on 20 April, 1861.

Note: The Hartford Light Guards, under the command of Captain G S Burr, was accepted in state service on 17 April, 1861, and was reorganised and accepted in state service, under the command of Captain J S Comstock, at 7 AM on 18 April, 1861.

Hartford, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company B, 20 April, 1861: Wright's Company was ordered to proceed by the New Haven, Hartford & Springfield Railroad to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 8.30 PM on 20 April, 1861.

Hartford, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company D, 20 April, 1861: The Waterbury City Guards was ordered to proceed by the Hartford, Providence & Fishkill Railroad to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 20 April, 1861, and arrived by the New Haven, New London & Stonnington Railroad at 3 PM the same day.

Windsor Locks, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company C, 22 April, 1861: Hillman's Company was ordered to proceed by the Middleton Branch, New Haven, Hartford & Springfield Railroad, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the morning on 22 April, 1861.

West Meriden, New Haven County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company F, 22 April, 1861: Byxbee's Company arrived by the New Haven, New London & Stonnington Railroad at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the afternoon on 22 April, 1861.

New Britain, Hartford County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Infantry Company G, 23 April, 1861: Hart's Company arrived by the New Haven, New London & Stonnington Railroad in the morning on 23 April, 1861.

Bridgeport, Fairfield County, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, Rifle Company B & Infantry Company H, 23 April, 1861: The Bridgeport Rifles and Fitzgibbon's Company arrived by the New Haven, New London & Stonnington Railroad in the morning on 23 April, 1861.

Organisation of 1st Connecticut Infantry, 20 April, 1861: Infantry Company A (80), Captain J C Comstock; Infantry Company B (77), Captain I Wright; Infantry Company C (77), Captain L N Hillman; Infantry Company D (84), Captain J L Chatfield; Infantry Company E (77), Captain E E Wildman; Infantry Company F (77), Captain T Byxbee; Infantry Company G (89), Captain F W Hart; Infantry Company H (77), Captain R Fitzgibbon; Rifle Company A (84), Captain J R Hawley; Rifle Company B (77), Captain J Spiedel

Mustered in three months, Public Square, opposite the State House, on College Street, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, 19, 20, 22, & 23 April, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Companies B and E, were mustered in United States service for three months at Public Square, opposite the State House, on College Street, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, by Colonel G Loomis, 5th United States Infantry, on 19 April, 1861; Infantry Company A on 20 April, 1861; Infantry Companies C, D, F, G, and Rifle Company A on 22 April, 1861; and Infantry Company H and Rifle Company B on 23 April, 1861.

Grounds of State Hospital, between Cedar Street & Howard Avenue, & Davenport & Congress Avenues, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, 24 April, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to the grounds of State Hospital, between Cedar Street and Howard Avenue, and Davenport and Congress Avenues, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the evening on 24 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was stationed at the grounds of State Hospital, between Cedar Street and Howard Avenue, and Davenport and Congress Avenues, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 4 May, 1861, and the 2nd Connecticut Infantry was stationed at Brewster('s) Park, west of the West River, on the corner of Pendelton Street and Whalley Avenue, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, between 6 and 10 May, 1861 (See the 2nd Connecticut Infantry).

Grounds of State Hospital, between Cedar Street & Howard Avenue, & Davenport & Congress Avenues, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, to Washington, D. C., 9-12 May, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry (780) was ordered to Long Wharf, New Haven Harbour, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 4.30 AM on 9 May, 1861, and proceeded by the steamer Bienville to Washington, D. C., at 10.30 AM the same day. The regiment arrived at the Washington Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington D. C, at 5 PM on 12 May, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 7th New York state Militia (70) arrived on the steamer Matanzas at the Navy Yard, on M Street, between Sixth and Ninth Streets, Washington, D. C., in the evening on 12 May, 1861 (See the Three months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., 13 May, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry disembarked at the Washington Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington D. C, in the morning on 13 May, 1861, and was ordered to the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., the same day.

Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., 27 May, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was assigned to Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut (Militia) Volunteers, by Special Orders No.107, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 27 May, 1861.

Vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., to Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, 2 June, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Lond Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 1 AM on 2 June, 1861, and arrived at Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 3 AM the same day.

Note: The 12th New York State Militia was stationed on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of at Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 24 May and 1 June, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., at 2 PM on 7 June, 1861 (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Special Orders No.5, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 3 June, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, the 8th New York State Militia, and 25th New York State Militia were temporarily assigned to Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, by Special Orders No.5, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861.

Reconnaissance on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, one mile southeast of Hunter's Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: A detachment of the 1st Connecticut Infantry (400), under the command of Colonel G S Burnham and Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut (Militia) Volunteers, was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad on a reconnaissance to one mile southeast of Hunter's Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861.

Roach's Mills, (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, under the command of Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut (Militia) Volunteers, arrived at the junction of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile northwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd Connecticut Infantry (See the 2nd Connecticut Infantry).

Note: The 1st Ohio Infantry was stationed at the junction of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad and the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile northwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 10 PM on 17 June, 1861 (See the 1st Ohio Infantry).

W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, 18 June-16 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was stationed at Camp Mansfield, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 18 June and 16 July, 1861.

Special Orders No.26, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 6 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, the 2nd Connecticut Infantry, the 3rd Connecticut Infantry, the 2nd Maine Infantry, and Varian's Light Artillery were assigned to Colonel E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, by Special Orders No.26, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Disposition of First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, Brigadier General E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; 1st Connecticut Infantry, Colonel G S Burnham, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; 2nd Connecticut Infantry, Colonel A H Terry, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; 3rd Connecticut Infantry, Colonel J L Chatfield, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; 2nd Maine Infantry, Colonel C D Jameson, Clover's Farm, in the vicinity of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; 2nd United States Cavalry, Company B, Captain J E Harrison, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southeast of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia; Varian's Light Artillery, 8th New York State Militia, Company I, rear of Arlington House or Lee-Custis Mansion, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike to Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived via old Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 July, 1861, and arrived three miles west of Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Little Rocky Run, north of the road between Centreville and Fairfax Courthouse, one mile east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day.

Note: Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, arrived at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM on 17 July, 1861.

Little Rocky Run, north of the road between Centreville & Fairfax Courthouse, one mile east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to half a mile east of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 2 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived half a mile east of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 6 AM the same day.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 10 PM the same day. The regiment arrived at Camp McDowell or Mansfield, W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 AM on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered to Riley's or Upton's Hill, one mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The 1st Connecticut Infantry arrived at Camp Upton, on Riley's or Upton's Hill, half a mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 22 July, 1861 (See the 1st Ohio Infantry and the 2nd Ohio Infantry).

Riley's or Upton's Hill, half a mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, to Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 5.30 PM on 23 July, 1861, and arrived at Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, via Balls Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 7 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was stationed at Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861.

Rendezvous at Union Hall building, on the corner of Sixth Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., 24 July, 1861: The 2nd Maine Infantry, the 12th New York Infantry, the 2nd Michigan Infantry, the 3rd Michigan Infantry, the 1st Massachusetts Infantry, the 1st Connecticut Infantry, the 2nd Connecticut Infantry, and the 3rd Connecticut Infantry were ordered to rendezvous at Union Hall building, on the corner of Sixth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., at 12 PM on 24 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, 25-28 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, in the afternoon on 25 July, 1861, and arrived by the New Jersey Railroad at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, at 9 AM on 27 July, 1861. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the steamer Commonwealth to New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, at 12 AM on 28 July, 1861, and arrived at 10 AM the same day.

Headquarters, First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., 25 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry, the 2nd Connecticut Infantry , and the 3rd Connecticut Infantry, under the command of Colonel E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, were stationed at Headquarters, First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., on 25 July, 1861.

Mustered out, New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, 31 July, 1861: The 1st Connecticut Infantry was mustered out at New Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, on 31 July, 1861.

Colonel E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army: Lieutenant Colonel E D Keyes, Military Secretary to Brevet Lieutenant General & Major General W Scott, United States Army, was stationed at Washington, D. C., on 4 March, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to New York City, New York County, New York, in the evening on 3 April, 1861. He was accompanied by Captain M C Meigs, United States Corps Engineers, and First Lieutenant D D Porter, United States Navy and arrived by the Camden & Amboy Railroad at Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, via Perth Amboy, Middlesex County, New Jersey, in the morning on 4 April, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel E D Keyes was assigned to assist in the organisation of an expedition to relieve Fort Pickens, Santa Rosa Island, Florida, between 6 and 9 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Baltic to Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, at 5.30 AM on 21 April, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G). Lieutenant Colonel E D Keyes was accompanied by the 12th New York State Militia Infantry, under the command of Colonel D Butterfield, and arrived at Fort Monroe, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, at 10 PM on 22 April, 1861 (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington). The steamer Baltic was ordered to Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, at 2 PM on 23 April, 1861, and arrived at Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, between 8 and 9 PM the same day. He was assigned to the staff of Governor E D Morgan at Albany, Albany County, New York, between 2 and 22 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 11th United States Infantry, at Manhattan (New York County), New York City, New York, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel E D Keyes, 11th United States Infantry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Steamer Baltic: 12th New York State Militia and First Lieutenant G W Synder, United States Corps Engineers, and Major E D Keyes; Steamer Columbia: 6th New York State Militia; Steamer R R Cuyler: 71st New York State Militia; Steamer Coatzacoalcos: 1st Rhode Island Detached Militia (First detachment).

Report

UNPUBLISHED REPORT
Colonel G S Burnham, First Connecticut Infantry, dated Fort Corcoran, a quarter of a mile southwest of Ross' House, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.17: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp353-356
Colonel E D Keyes, Eleventh United States Infantry, First Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Meridian Hill, D. C., 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861