The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Unassigned, Army of the Potomac

Captain J Conner, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A

Captain J Conner, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A

Hampton Legion

Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was mustered in Confederate service for one year and the war 12 June, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL W HAMPTON
W Hampton was appointed colonel, Hampton Legion, on 27 April, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL B J JOHNSON
Captain B J Johnson, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Hampton Legion, on 3 May, 1861, and was killed at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.

MAJOR J B GRIFFIN
J B Griffin was appointed major, Hampton Legion, on 19 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861. Major J B Griffin, Hampton Legion, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Hampton Legion, on 15 August, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.

Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry

Company A Washington Light Infantry: CAPT. J CONNER
The company was accepted in state service at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Captain B J Johnson, on 27 April, 1861, and Captain B J Johnson, Washington Light Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Hampton Legion, on 3 May, 1861. Captain J Conner, Montgomery Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, was assigned to command the Washington Light Infantry on 7 May, 1861, and the company was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, at 8 PM on 31 May, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 12 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Infantry during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). Second Lieutenant T M Logan, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, on 23 August, 1861, and Captain J Conner, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, was appointed major, Hampton Legion, on 25 August, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.
Company B Watson Guards: CAPT. M W GARY
The company was stationed at Edgefield Courthouse, Edgefield District, South Carolina, on 22 May, 1861, and was ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 5 June, 1861. The company was accepted and mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 12 June, 1861.
Company C Manning Guards: CAPT. B MANNING
The company was accepted in state service at Manning, Clarendon District, South Carolina, on (?) April, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 19 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861.
Company D Gist Riflemen: CAPT. H J SMITH
The company was accepted in state service at Spring Park, Williamston, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and was ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 10 June, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861.
Company E Bozeman Guards: Capt. T S Adams
The company was accepted in state service at Fork Shoals, Greenville District, South Carolina, on (?) January, 1861, and was ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 13 June, 1861. The company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain T L Bozeman, at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 19 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year by Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 19 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861. Captain T L Bozeman, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company E, was discharged due to illness on 16 July, 1861, and Private T S Adams, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company B, was appointed first lieutenant, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company E, on 10 July, 1861. First Lieutenant T S Adams, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company E, was appointed captain, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company E, on 16 July, 1861, and Capatin T S Adams, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company E, resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.146, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 September, 1861.
Company F Davis Guards: CAPT. J S AUSTIN
The company was accepted or mustered in state service at Greenville District, South Carolina, on (?) April, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year, under the command of Captain W L M Austin, at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 13 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861. Captain W L M Austin, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company F, resigned on 2 July, 1861, and died on 6 July, 1861. First Lieutenant J S Austin, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company F, was appointed captain, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company F, on 6 July, 1861, dated 2 July, 1861.
Company G Claremont Rifles: CAPT. J G SPANN
The company was mustered in state service at Claremont District, South Carolina, as part of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry on 14 April, 1861, and declined Confederate service as part of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry on 19 April, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). The company was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J D Blanding, 2nd South Carolina Infantry, between 26 and 29 April, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service for one year as the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company G, on 15 July, 1861 (See the 9th South Carolina Infantry). The company arrived at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 17 August, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Lightwood Knot Springs, seven miles north of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain J L Black, 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company E, on 19 August, 1861.
Company H (1st) German Volunteers (German Artillery): CAPT. W K BACHMAN
The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant & Acting Assistant Adjutant General T L Mills, Confederate States Army, on 22 August, 1861, and was stationed at Hampstead Mall, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolinia, between 22 August and 10 September, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 September, 1861, and was stationed at the Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, one and three quarters of a mile east of Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1861, and was ordered to the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 September, 1861. The company was assigned as the Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company B, on 1 November, 1861.
Company H (2nd) South Carolina Zouave Volunteers: CAPT. L C MCCORD
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 7 September, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 11 October, 1861. The company was assigned to the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (2nd), on 23 October, 1861.
Company I Hall's Company: CAPT. D L HALL
The 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies B, D, and E, were consolidated and assigned as the Hampton Legion, Company I, under the command of Captain D L Hall, 13th South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company E, by Special Orders No.39, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 November, 1862 (See 4th South Carolina Infantry).
Company K Bowen's Company: CAPT. J H BOWEN
The 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies A and C, were consolidated and assigned to the Hampton Legion, Company K, under the command of Captain J H Bowen, 13th South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company C, by Special Orders No.39, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 November, 1862 (See 4th South Carolina Infantry).
 

The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was organised on 12 June, 1861, and was stationed at at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 19 June, 1861.

State Service

The Montgomery Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, Fourth Brigade (Charleston), Second Division, South Carolina Militia, under the command of Captain J Conner, was ordered to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 9 April, 1861, and Captain J Conner, Montgomery Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, was appointed captain, Washington Light Infantry, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, on 7 May, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry).

Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbour, 10th South Carolina Infantry, Company G, 11 April, 1861: The Coast Guards, under the command of Captain B J Johnson, was stationed at the east end of Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J L Branch, 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, in the evening M on 11 April, 1861, and Captain B J Johnson, Coast Guards, was appointed captain, Washington Light Infantry, on 27 April, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry).

Confederate Service

The Washington Light Infantry Volunteers was stationed on the Cooper River, Hampstead Green, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 31 May, 1861.

Cooper River, Hampstead Green, Charleston, Charleston District, to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Company A, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The Washington Light Infantry Volunteers was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, at 8 PM on 31 May, 1861, and arrived by the Columbia Branch Railroad at Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, in the morning on 1 June, 1861.

Note: The Washington Light Infantry Volunteers was stationed on the Cooper River, Hampstead Mall, Charleston District, Charleston, South carolina, between 20 and 31 May, 1861.

Mustered for one year, Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Companies A, B, C, D, E, & F, 12, 13, 15, & 19 June, dated 12 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company A, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, dated 12 June, 1861; Company B for one year on 12 June, 1861; Company F for one year on 13 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861; Company D for one year on 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861; and Companies C and E for one year by Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 19 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies A, D, & F, 26-29 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, D, and F, under the command Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, were ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the the Hampton Legion Artillery. Companies A, D, and F arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 June, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, D, and F, and the Hampton Legion Artillery, Company A, were stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 29 June and 19 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies B, C, & E, 2-5 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies B, C, and E, under the command of Colonel W Hampton, were ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies B, C, and E, were stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 5 and 19 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19-21 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to McLean's farm, one mile southeast of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 24 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered to McLean's farm, one mile southeast of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.161, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, under the command of Colonel W Hampton, was stationed at Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, one mile northwest of Brentsville, Prince William County, Virginia, 29 July, 1861.

Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, to the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, 13 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered to the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.225, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 13 August and 20 September, 1861.

Mustered for one year, Lightwood Knot Springs, seven miles north of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Company G, 19 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company G, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Lightwood Knot Springs, seven miles north of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain J L Black, 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company E, on 19 August, 1861.

Mustered for the war, Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston, South Carolina, Company H (1st), 22 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant & Acting Assistant Adjutant General T L Mills, Confederate States Army, on 22 August, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company G, was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 September, 1861, and Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 September, 1861.

Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 September-19/20 October, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was stationed at Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, between 20 September and 19/20 October, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was ordered to Powell's Run, west of Freestone Point, Prince William County, Virginia, on 30 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, west of Freestone Point, Prince William County, Virginia, between 30 September and 19/20 October, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Bacon Rce Church, Prince William County, Virginia, Company H (1st), 23-24 September, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1861, and was stationed at Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 24 and 30 September, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry (107), Company H (1st), arrived by the Manchester & Wilmington Railroad at Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina, in the morning on 11 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 September, 1861. Company H (1st) was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 September, 1861.

Fort McCord, Church Flats Bluff, on the north bank of the Stono River, fifteen miles west of Charleston, Charleston, District, South Carolina, & Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company H (2nd), 10 December, 1861, & 29 July, 1862: The South Carolina Zouave Volunteers was mustered in Confederate service at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 27 October, 1861, and was stationed at Fort McCord, Church Flats Bluff, on the north bank of the Stono River, fifteen miles west of Charleston, Charleston, District, South Carolina, on 10 December, 1861. The company was assigned to the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (2nd), at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1862.

Reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 25 April, 1862: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1862, and the Hampton Legion was disbanded at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1862.

Hamptom Legion Infantry, Companies I & K, 11 November, 1862: The 13th, also known as the 4th South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, and E, were consolidated as the Hampton Legion Infantry, Companies I and K, by Special Orders No.39, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 November, 1862.

Redesignated, Hampton Legion Mounted Infantry, 18 March, 1864: The Hampton Legion was disbanded on 12 June, 1862, and the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was designated the Hampton Legion Mounted Infantry by Special Orders No.65, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 March, 1864.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The Hampton Legion Mounted Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R B Arnold, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

HAMPTON LEGION Battalion CAVALRY

Company A Edgefield Hussars: CAPT. M C BUTLER
The company was accepted or mustered in state service for one year at Edgefield, Edgefield District, South Carolina, on 6 June, 1861, and was ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, the same day. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861. Captain M C Butler, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company A, was appointed major, Hampton Legion, on 22 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant J J Bunch, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company A, was appointed captain, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company A, on 29 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, Company I, on 22 August, 1862.
Company B Brooks Troop or Cavalry: CAPT. J F LANNEAU
The company was accepted or mustered in state service at Furman University, six miles northwest of Greenville Courthouse, Greenville District, South Carolina, on 6 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, the same day. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, Company K, on 22 August, 1862.
Company C Beaufort District Troop: CAPT. T E SCREVEN
The company was accepted or mustered in state service at Grahamville, Beaufort District, South Carolina, on 19 June, 1861, and was ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, the same day. The company arrived at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, via Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 21 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year by Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 22 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, Company B, on 22 August, 1862.
Company D Congaree (Columbia) Troop or Mounted Riflemen: CAPT. T TAYLOR
The company was accepted in state service at Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 5 July, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 17 July, 1861. The company was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day and arrived at Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel C W Field, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 25 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry, Company H, on 22 August, 1862.

State Service

The Columbia or Congaree Mounted Riflemen (88/90), under the command of Captain A R Taylor, was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 12 April, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day. The company was stationed at Camp Beauregard, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 15 April, 1861, and was relieved in the morning on 27 April, 1861. The Columbia or Congaree Mounted Riflemen was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, the same day (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry).

Note: Detachments of the Columbia or Congaree Mounted Riflemen were stationed on the Ashley River and Wappoo Creek, west of Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 27 April, 1861.

Confederate Service

The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, A, B, and C, were stationed at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, on 21 June, 1861, and Company D on 15 July, 1861.

Note: Major J B Griffin, Hampton Legion, arrived at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, in the evening on 10 June, 1861.

Mustered for one year, Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 15 & 22 June & 25 July, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A and B, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, dated 12 June, 1861; Company C for one year by Lieutenant Colonel J B Johnson, Hampton Legion, on 22 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861; and Company D at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel C W Field, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 25 July, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company A, 27 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company A, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company A, was stationed at Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, on 28 June, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company B, 28 June-3 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry (85), Company B, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company B, was stationed at Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, between 2 and 3 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company C, 29 June-2 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry (74), Company C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, arrived at Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the evening on 1 July, 1861, and was stationed at Jarratt's Hotel, on Washington Street, Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, between 1 and 2 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, Companies A, B, & C, 10 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, were stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, and were ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.215, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, dated 8 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, were stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, Company D, 17-21 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and arrived by the Weldon Railroad at Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861. The company was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp of Instruction or Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was stationed at Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, between 19 and 20 July, 1861, and at Camp of Intsruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond Virginia, on 20 July, 1861. Company D was ordered to Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, at 12 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, & C, 22-24 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on the 22 July, 1861, and arrived at Fredericksburg, Virginia, at 9 AM on 24 July, 1861. Companies A, B, and C arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel C W Field, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was ordered to muster the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, in Confederate service at Camp of Instruction or Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.72, Headquarters of Division, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrio County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, & C, 24 July-13 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, were stationed at Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, four and a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 24 July and 13 August, 1861.

Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, to the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, & C, 13 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, were ordered to the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.225, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 13 August and 20 September, 1861.

Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, Company D, 16 & 26 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.252, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 August, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry was ordered Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 September, 1861.

Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 September-19/20 October, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry was stationed at Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, between 20 September and 19/29 October, 1861.

Reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 25 April, 1862: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry was reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1862.

The Hampton Legion was disbanded at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1862, and the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, the 4th South Carolina Battalion Cavalry, the Boykin (Mounted Rangers), and the Bonham Light Dragoons were assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry on 22 August, 1862 (See the Boykin (Mounted) Rangers).

Surrendered at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, 26 April, 1865: The 2nd South Carolina Cavalry surrendered at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, on 26 April, 1865.

HAMPTON LEGION Battalion ARTILLERY

Company A Washington Artillery: CAPT. S D LEE
The company was accepted or mustered in state service at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 11 May, 1861, and (108) was stationed at Hampstead Mall, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 3 June, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, at 8 PM on 13 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, 1861. First Lieutenant J F Hart, Hampton Legion Artillery, was assigned to command the company 15 June and 25 July, 1861 (See the 4th South Carolina Infantry).
Company B German Artillery (formerly German Volunteers, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st)): CAPT. W K BACHMAN
The company was mustered in Confederate service for five years at Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant & Acting Assistant Adjutant General T L Mills, Confederate States Army, on 22 August, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 September, 1861. The company was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1861, and was assigned to the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), on 24 September, 1861. The company was assigned to the Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company B, at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, two and a half miles northeast of Maple Valley, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 November, 1861.

The Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery was organised at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, two and a half miles northeast of Maple Valley, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 November, 1861.

Charleston, Charleston District, to Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Company A, 13-14 June, 1861: The Washington Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenant J F Hart, was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, at 8 PM on 13 June, 1861, and arrived by the Columbia Branch railroad in the morning on 14 June, 1861

Note: A detachment of the Washington Artillery, under the command of Junior First Lieutenant S G Horsey, was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, in the evening on 11 June, 1861, and the Washington Artillery (120) was stationed at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 17 June, 1861.

Mustered for one year, Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Company A, 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company A, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, on 15 June, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861.

Mustered for five years, Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston District, Charleston, South Carolina, Company B, 22 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company B, was mustered in Confederate service as the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), for five years at Half Moon Battery, Union Station, Charleston District, Charleston, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant & Acting Assistant Adjutant General T L Mills, Confederate States Army, on 22 August, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant S D Lee, 4th United States Artillery, resigned on 20 February, 1861, and was appointed captain, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company E, on 16 February, 1861. Captain S D Lee, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company E, was appointed captain & acting assistant quartermaster general and acting assistant commissary general, Provisional Forces, Confederate States Army, at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 6 March, 1861. He was appointed captain, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 16 March, 1861, and was assigned to command the Washington Artillery on 7 June, 1861. Captain S D Lee, captain, artillery, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.96, Paragraph VIII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 13 July, 1861, and was assigned to the Hampton Legion Artillery by Special Orders No.106, Paragraph VII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861. He was stationed at Richomond, Virginia, between 25 and 27 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company A, 26-29 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Artillery, under the command Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, D, and F. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 June, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Artillery was assigned two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles on 13 July, 1861, and four howitzers at the Tredegar Iron Works, on the James River, three quarters of a mile east of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 29 June and 27 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Company A, 27 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Artillery was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.106, Paragraph VII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 July, 1861, dated 26 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Artillery was stationed at Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, one mile northwest of Brentsville, Prince William County, Virginia, between 27 July and 13 August, 1861.

Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, to the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, 13 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Artillery was ordered to Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.225, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 13 August and 20 September, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Artillery was ordered Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 September, 1861.

Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 September-19/20 October, 1861: The Hampton Legion Artillery was stationed at Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, between 20 September and 19/20 October, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Artillery set up pits for two 8 pounder rifles at Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, between 22 and 24 September, 1861, and were engaged in a skirmish with the steamship Seminole on 25 September, 1861.

Skirmish at Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, 25 September, 1861: One 32 pounder rifle, Second Lieutenant W J Dabney, Purcell Artillery; two 8 pounder rifles, First Lieutenant J F Hart, Hampton Legion Artillery (See the Purcell Artillery)

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was reorganised and designated the German Artillery, Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company B, at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 November, 1861.

Reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 25 April, 1862: The Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery was reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1862.

The Hampton Legion was disbanded at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1862, and the Hampton Legion Battalion Artillery, Company A, was designated Hart's Company or Battery, South Carolina Horse Artillery, on (?) July, 1862, and Company B was designated Bachman's Company or Battery, South Carolina Artillery, on 22 June, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 & 26 April, 1865: The German Artillery or Bachman's Company or Battery, South Carolina Artillery, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1865, and Hart's Company or Battery, South Carolina Horse Artillery, at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, on 26 April, 1865.

Source

"There are now four companies, the 'Edgefield Hussars,' Capt. M. C. Butler; the 'Jefferson Nullifiers,' Capt. John F. Talbert; the 'Saluda Sentinels,' Capt. A. D. Bates, and the 'Edgefield Rangers,' Capt. Andrew J. Hammond. Both officers and men are composed of the very best material, and are bound to make their mark against any enemy, if occasion should arise."

Edgefield Advertiser (Edgefield, Edgefield District, South Carolina), 20 February, 1861 - Cavalry

"Captain B. J. Johnson's company of volunteers, 'The Coast Guards,' reported them to Lieut. Col. Branch, at the east of Sullivan's Island, on Thursday night, numbering, rank and file, 88, all in health and good spirits, but dissapointed at the disposition of the LINCOLN forces to h(?)d."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 20 April, 1861

"This gallent corps has been stationed for some time on Ashley River, with picquet guards on Wappoo Creek."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 30 April, 1861 - Congaree Mounted Riflemen

"There will be an election of Officers for the 'Edgefield Hussars,' on next Saturday, the 18th, as those now in office will resign on that day with a view of reorganising for the Confederate service."

Edgefield Advertiser (Edgefield, Edgefield District, South Carolina), 15 May, 1861 - Notice

"The Washington Light Infantry Volunteers, Captain James Conner, arrived at Columbia on Saturday, and were received and escorted to their camp by the Collge Cadets and Chicora Rifles, Capt. T. Radcliffe, Jr."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 3 June, 1861 - Arrival of the Washington Light Infantry Volunteers

"After the presentation of their baeutiful flag, which they hope soon to bear to the front of battle, the Washington Light Infantry Volunteers were escorted to the depot of the South Carolina Railroad, and, amid kind farewells and lusty cheers, embarked on the evening train. their reception at Columbia was kind and cheering, the College cadets acting as escorts, and when on their march to the destined place od encampment, they were for a few hours halted at the summer residence of Col. Hampton, every comfort was provided for their rest and refreshment."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 4 June, 1861 - Camp Hampton, near Columbia, 1 June, 1861

"We are requested, by authority, to state that the Watson Guards will assemble in Columbia on Thursday of this week."

"The Edgefield Hussars leave this place on Thursday the 6th and will march the first day to the neighbourhood of the Ridge proper."

Edgefield Advertiser (Edgefield, Edgefield District, South Carolina), 5 June, 1861 - The rendezvous

"The Washington Artillery Company, Lieut. J. F. Hart commanding, now at Hampstead, have attained a high state of proficiency in their peculiar military tactics since their encampment."

"At a meeting of the Company on Friday evening it was unanimously agreed to request Captain Stephen D. vLee, of the Confederate Army, to take command of the corps. We learn that Capt. Lee accedes to the request, provided that he obtains permission to transfer his services from the position he now holds in the Confederate Army. A dispatch was received by Lieut. Hart on Saturday, from Columbia, accepting the company into the Legion, and instructing them to hold themselves in readiness for marching orders. They expect to leave on Tuesday."

Charleston Courier (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 10 June, 1861 - The Flying Artillery

"The organisation of Hampton's Legion is progressing rapidly."

"Today two troops of mounted men, the one commanded by Capt. Lanneau, the other by Capt. Butler, and two companies of Infantry, under the lead respectively of Captains Austin and Gary, are at their side, ready and eager to enter into worthy rivalry with them for the palm of excellence in all soldierly accomplishments."

Charleston Courier (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 12 June, 1861 - At Camp Hampton, 10 June, 1861

"The Washington Artillery Volunteers will break up their camp at Hampstead, this afternoon, and take the evening train for Columbia, to join Hampton's Legion. They will be escorted by the Washington Artillery, and will be presented with a beautiful guidon, at Military Hall, previous to their departure. The site hitherto occupied by their camp will be immediately taken by the company of Irish Volunteers for the War."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 13 June, 1861

"The Washington mounted Artillery Company, Lieut. J. F. Hart, commanding, on Thursday afternoon struck their tents at Hampstead and left for Columbia, S. C., on the eight o'clock train of the South Carolina Rail Road. Previous to their departure they were escorted from the camp ground through several of the principal streets to Military Hall, by the Washington Artillery, Capt. Walter, and the German Artillery, Capt. Harms, the whole under the command of Capt. Walter."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 15 June, 1861 - Washington Mounted Artillery

"Lieut. S. G. Horsey, and several members of the Washington Mounted Artillery, left for Columbia on Tuesday evening, to join the corps at the encampment of the Hampton Legion."

Charleston Courier (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 17 June, 1861

"The following is a roll of the field officers and companies of the Legion. Six companies are now in camp near Columbia, and the others have been ordered to come forward: Wade Hampton, Colonel; B. J. Johnson, Lieutenant Colonel; J. B. Griffin, Major; T. G. Barker, Adjutant; C. L. Goodwin, Quartermaster; T. Beggs, Commissary. Artillery - Washington Artillery, Charleston, Capt. S. D. Lee. Cavalry - Brooks Troop, Greenville, Capt. J. F. Lanneau; Edgefield Hussars, Edgefield, Capt. M. C. Butler; Beaufort District Troop, Beaufort, Capt. T. O. Scriven, Jr. Infantry - Washington Light Infantry Volunteers, Charleston, Capt. J. Conner; Davis Guards, Greenville, Capt. W. M. L. Austin; Gist Riflemen, Anderson, Capt. H. J. Smith; Bozeman Guards, Greenville, Capt. T. L. Bozeman; Watson Guards, Edgefield, Capt. M. W. Gary; Manning Guards, Clarendon, Capt. B. Manning. There is one cavalry company to be supplied, and it is likely Capt. J. H. Morgan's company, from Edisto, will fill the vacancy."

"Capt. W. R. Calhounis here as the mustering officerto receive the Legion into Confederate service."

Southern Guardian (Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina), 20 June, 1861 - The Hampton Legion

"We understand that four companies of the Hampton Legion leave for Virginia tomorrow afternoon. The companies are the Washington Artillery, Washington Light Infantry, the Davis Guards, and Gist Rifles. They go under the command under command of Lieut. Col. B. J. Johnson."

Southern Guardian (Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina), 25 June, 1861 - For Virginia

"The company reached Columbia Friday in fine health and spirits. As the encampment was not ready for them, they were quartered at Janney's Hotel."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 25 June, 1861 - The Beaufort District Troop at Columbia

"Col. B. J. Johnson leaves this morning, by the Charlotte Rail Road, for Virginia, with the Washington Artillery, the Washington Light Infantry, the Davis Guards, and the Gist Riflemen. Several other companies will leave in a day or two, and the remainder on Monday next."

Charleston Courier (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 27 June, 1861 - The Hampton Legion

"Four companies of this legion passedthrough here en route for Virginia, yesterday afternoon, namely, Washington Light Infantry, Davis Guards, Gist Rifles, and Washington Artillery."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 29 June, 1861 - The Hampton's Legion en route

"The Brooks Guard, a noble company, with fine horses, left Friday by the Charlotte Railroad. the Beaufort District Troop went ob Saturday, and today the three remaining infantry companies, under the command of Col. Hampton, will leave for their destination."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 1 July, 1861 - Hampton's Legion

"The following companies under Lt. Colonel Johnson, arrived in Richmond on Saturday morning via Petersburg Railroad: Washington Light Infantry. Captain, Jas. Conner; Lieutenants - 1st, James Lewndes; 2d, T. M. Logan 3d, Theodore Klinck. Davis Guards. Captain, W. L. M. Austin; Lieutenants - 1st, G. W. Lester; 2d, J. G. W. Lester; 3d, D. William Yeargon. Gist Rifles, Captain, H. J. Smith; Lieutenants - 1st, Robert H. Hudgings; 2d, W. H. Mauldin; 3d, Elijah H. Acker. Washington Artillery, First Lieutenant commanding, James F. Hart; 2d, S. Gilman Horsev 3d, Warren R. Marshall; 4th, Paul Hamilton. All of the other companies of the Legion start today (Monday) from South Carolina for Richmond, and may be expected here by Wednesday."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 1 July, 1861 - Hampton's Legion

"That portion of Col. Hampton's Legion, of South Carolina, which passed through this City last week, was composed of the Washington Light Infantry, Capt. Conner; Davis' Guards, Capt. Austin; Gist Rifles, Capt. Smith; Washington Artillery, Lieut. Hart; Edgefield (Cavalry) Hussars, Capt. Butler; all under command of Lieut. Col. B. J. Johnson. Two other companies of cavalry arrived here Sunday last, and passed on."

Raleigh Semi-weekly Standard (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina), 3 July, 1861 - Col. Hampton's Legion

"Col. Wade Hampton of South Carolina,with three companies, being the remainder of this Legion, passed through this City on Wednesday last, en route for Virginia."

Raleigh Semi-weekly Standard (Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina), 6 July, 1861 - Hampton's Legion

"Just at sundown the 6th South Carolina Regiment, under Col. Winder, which had come to Manassas in the afternoon, arrived upon the field, and before the battle was quite over, came the splendid troop of cavalry, under Capt. Boykin. Hampton's Legion came in time for a bloody part in the action of the day, but were not able to bring on the cavalry or Washington Artillery. Of the members of the artillery company, at least, many were present in the action as infantry, and shared the fortunes of the Legion."

Edgefield Advertiser (Edgefield, Edgefield District, South Carolina), 7 August, 1861 - Details of the great battle, Army of the Potomac, near Manassas, 23 July, 1861

"The German Volunteers, of Charleston, S.C., under command of Captain Wm. K. Bachman, son of Rev. Doctors Bachman, arrived here this morning, numbering 107 men."

Wilmington Journal (Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina), 12 September, 1861

"This Company, under the command of Capt. L. C. McCord, is at present at Camp Hampton, about three miles from Columbia. It was mustered into the Confederate States service on last Friday, on which occasion their movements and appearence were highly complimented by the mustering officer."

The Charleston Courier (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 16 October, 1861 - The South Carolina Zouave Volunteers

Books/ Manuscripts

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Upstate, by R S Seigler

A gentleman and an officer: A military and social history of James B. Griffin's Civil War, by Judith N McArthur and Orville V Burton

South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War: The Hampton Legion Part I: Regimental history, in collaboration with W B Bynum and H M Madaus with text and illustrations by R Field

South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War: The Hampton Legion Part II: Company Histories, in collaboration with W B Bynum and H M Madaus with text and illustrations by R Field

Giant in grey: A biography of Wade Hampton of South Carolina, by M W Wellman

The battle of first Manassas: The Confederate Veteran, Volume XXIII, Nashville, Tenn., January-December 1915, pp24-26, by John Coxe, Groveland, Cal.

Notes

The Hampton Legion was accepted in state service on 27 April, 1861, and the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, and F; the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C; and the Hampton Legion Artillery were stationed at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 26 June, 1861.

Organisation of Hampton Legion, Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 17 June, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson; Washington Light Infantry Volunteers (91), Captain J Conner; Davis Guards (103), Captain J S Austin; Watson Guards (100), Captain M W Gary; Gist Riflemen (90), Captain H J Smith; Bozeman Guards (96), Captain T L Bozeman; Manning Guards (106), Captain B Manning; Brooks Troop or Cavalry (88), Captain J F Lanneau; Edgefield Hussars (65), Captain M C Butler; Washington Artillery (120), First Lieutenant J F Hart

Mustered for one year, Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, between 12 June & 25 July, 1861, dated 12 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A and B, were mustered in Confederate service at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 12 June, 1861; Company F on 13 June, 1861; Company D on 15 June, 1861; Companies C and E on 19 June, 1861; the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A and B, on 15 June, 1861; Company C on 22 June, 1861; Company D at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861; and the Hampton Legion Artillery at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 15 June, 1861.

Note: Colonel W Hampton, Hampton Legion, arrived at Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 25 June, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, D, & F, & Washington Artillery, 26-29 June, 1861: The Hampton Legion Infantry, Companies A, D, and F, and the Washington Artillery, under the command Lieutenant Colonel B J Johnson, were ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 June, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company B, 28 June-3 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company B, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company C, 29 June-2 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies B, C, & E, 2-5 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies B, C, and E, under the command of Colonel W Hampton, were ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at via Raleigh, Wake County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry and the Hampton Legion Artillery were stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, & C, 10 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, were stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, and were ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.215, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861, dated 10 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, were stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Camp Hampton, Woodlands Plantation, three miles east of Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, Company D, 17-21 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Columbia & South Carolina Railroad to Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and arrived by the Weldon Railroad at Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861. The company was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861, and The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861, day.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond Virginia, on 20 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, 19-21 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.224, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 19 July, 1861, dated 17 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, under the command of Colonel W Hampton and Lieutenant Colonel J B Johnson, was ordered to the F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 6 AM on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to McLean's farm, one mile southeast of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 24 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry was ordered to McLean's farm, one mile southeast of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.161, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, under the command of Colonel W Hampton, was stationed at Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, one mile northwest of Brentsville, Prince William County, Virginia, 29 July, 1861.

Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, & C, 22-24 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, under the command of Major J B Griffin, were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the evening on 24 July, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, under the command of Major J B Griffin, was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Hampton Legion Artillery, 27 July, 1861: The Hampton Legion Artillery was stationed at Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.106, Paragraph VII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 July, 1861, dated 26 July, 1861.

Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, to Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, 13 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion was ordered to the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Chruch, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.225, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 13 August and 20 September, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, and F; the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C; and the Hampton Legion Artillery were stationed at Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, one mile northwest of Brentsville, Prince William County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.

Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to the junction of the Occoquan & Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one & a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, Company D, 16 & 26 August, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Company D, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.252, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, on 26 August, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company G, was stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 September, 1861, and the Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, and G; the Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry; and the Hampton Legion Artillery were stationed at Camp Griffin, at the junction of the Occoquan and Wolf Run Shoals Roads, one and a half miles northeast of Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 September, 1861.

Camp Manning, Rocketts Old Field or Chimborazo Hill, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Bacon Rce Church, Prince William County, Virginia, Company H (1st), 23-24 September, 1861: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1861, and was stationed at Bacon Race Church, Prince William County, Virginia, between 24 and 30 September, 1861.

Note: The Hampton Legion Battalion Infantry, Company H (1st), was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 September, 1861.

Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 September-19/20 October, 1861: The Hampton Legion was stationed at Camp Connor, on Powell's Run, three miles west of Freestone Point, on the Potomac River, Prince William County, Virginia, between 20 September and 19/20 October, 1861.

Reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 25 April, 1862: The Hampton Legion was reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1862, and disbanded at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, & Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, 9 & 26 April, 1865: The Hampton Legion Mounted Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R B Arnold, and the German Artillery or Bachman's Company or Battery, South Carolina Artillery, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865, and the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry and the Hart's Company or Battery, South Carolina Horse Artillery, surrendered at Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, on 26 April, 1865.

The Hampton Legion was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Colonel W Hampton, Confederate states Army, by General Orders No.15, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 October, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.116: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp566-567
Colonel W Hampton, Hampton Legion, dated Camp Johnson, on Broad Run, one mile northwest of Brentsville, Prince William County, Virginia, 29 July, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.