The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, Third Division

Captain R Arnold, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D

Captain R Arnold, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D

Second United States Artillery, Light Company D

Arrived at Washington, D. C., 10 May, 1861

CAPTAIN R ARNOLD, Fifth United States Artillery
First Lieutenant R Arnold, 3rd United States Artillery, Company H, was aide de camp to Major General J E Wool, United States Army, on 27 June, 1861, and was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Section: FIRST LT. J W BARRIGER
Second Lieutenant J W Barriger, 2nd United States Artillery, was appointed first lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 2 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.65, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 23 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Two 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841

Section: SECOND LT. C B THROCKMORTON, Fourth United States Artillery
C B Throckmorton was appointed second lieutenant 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, by General Orders No.8, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 3 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and first lieutenant, 4th United States Artillery, Company C, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. 14 May, 1861.

Two 13 pounder James rifles

Statement of artillery lost: Two 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841; Two 13 pounder James rifles

Seizure of Fayettleville Arsenal, 22 April, 1861

Brigadier General W Draughon, Fourth Brigade, Second Division, North Carolina Militia

The 33rd North Carolina Militia Infantry (Cumberland County), the Lafayette Light Infantry, and the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry, under the command of Brigadier W Draughon, Fourth Brigade, Second Division, North Carolina Militia, were ordered to seize the Fayetteville Arsenal, Fayetteville, Cumberland County, Georgia, on 22 April, 1861.

Seizure of the Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, 22 April, 1861: Captain J A J Bradford, United States Ordnance Department, and First Lieutenant J A Delagnel, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, surrendered Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, on 22 April, 1861, and resigned on 1 May, 1861.

Organisation of 33rd North Carolina Militia Infantry (Cumberland County), 22 April, 1861: Colonel J H Cook, Lieutenant Colonel (?), Major (?); Locks Creek Company (200), Captain W J Bulla; Carver's Creek Company (60), Captain C D Nixon; Pine Forest Riflemen (40), Captain L Ray; Rockfish Company (40), Captain D McDougald; Gray's Creek Company (60), Captain A Marsh; Rockfish Company (60), Captain (?) Phillips; Cedar Creek Company (50), Captain (?); five Fayetteville Companies (400), Captains (?)

Troops stationed at Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, 22 April, 1861: Lafayette Light Infantry, Captain J B Starr; Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry, Major W Huske

Sources

"The regular train, which arrived about ten o'clock last night, brought a considerable number of recruits for the seventh regiment, and also Company D, second artillery, acting as infantry, from Fayetteville (N. C.) arsenal, which company was lately commanded by Brevet Major Robert Anderson, a cousin of Major Anderson, the hero of Fort Sumter."

The National Republican, 11 May, 1861 - The military arrivals

"Last night, one company of U.S. Second Artillery arrived in the 9.45 o’clock train from Annapolis, Md., - a fine looking body of men, well adapted to the arm of the service to which they are attached."

Evening Star, 11 May, 1861 - Arrival of Artillery

"Lieut. Barriger's artillery are encamped at the north end of Washington Street.."

Evening Star, 8 July, 1861 - From Alexandria, 6 July, 1861

"Captain Griffin lost most of his men and horses. His remaining men have been ordered to garrison Fort Albany, near Alexandria.."

Evening Star, 24 July, 1861

The American almanac and repository of useful knowledge for the year 1861, by Crosby, Nicholas, Lee and company

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866-67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U.S. Army

Notes

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, under the command of First Lieutenant J A Delagnel, was stationed at Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, on 21 April, 1861.

Note: Brevet Major & Captain S S Anderson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, resigned at Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, on 17 April, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861, and First Lieutenant H B Hendershott, 2nd United States Artillery, Company H, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861. Captain H B Hendershott, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was stationed at St Louis, St Louis County, Missouri, on 24 August, 1861.

Seizure of the Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, 22 April, 1861: Captain J A J Bradford, United States Ordnance Department, and First Lieutenant J A Delagnel, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, surrendered Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, on 22 April, 1861, and resigned on 1 May, 1861.

Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, 27 April-7 May, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, under the command ofFirst Lieutenant J A Delagnel, was ordered to proceed by steamer on the Cape Fear River to Wilmington, New Hanover County North Carolina, on 27 April, 1861, and by schooner Charles Dennis to Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, on 28 April, 1861. Light Company D arrived at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, in the morning on 7 May, 1861.

Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, to Washington, D. C., 10 May, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, acting as infantry, arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at Washington, D. C., via Baltimore City and Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 10 PM on 10 May, 1861, and was accompanied by recruits of the 7th United States Infantry.

Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington, D. C., 6 June, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to the Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington, D. C., on 6 June, 1861.

Note: The 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at the Arsenal, Greenleaf Point, Washington, D. C., on 5 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsyvania, in the afternoon on 6 June, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company D, was assigned to the Second Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel O B Willcox, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Washington Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 6 & 13 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was stationed at the north end of Washington Street, Alexandria, Virginia, on 6 and 13 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Old Fairfax Road to Pohick Run at 10 AM on 16 July, 1861, and proceeded across Accotink Creek in the afternoon the same day. Light Company D arrived near Pohick Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 16 July, 1861, and was ordered across Pohick Run at 5.30 AM the on 17 July, 1861. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Pohick Road to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day and arrived via Elzey's, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 17 July, 1861. Light Company D was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day but the order was countermanded and arrived near Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 17 July, 1861. The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to Little Rocky Run, east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived by the Old Braddock Road at 8.30 PM the same day.

Little Rocky Run, east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived via Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12.30 PM the same day.

Retreat to Washington D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run two 6 pounder smoothbores and two 13 pounder James rifles of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, were ordered to be spiked by Captain R Arnold at Cub Run, near Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861, and the company proceeded to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day. The company arrived at Washington, D. C., via Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., 25 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was stationed at Washington, D. C., on 25 July, 1861.

Fort Ellsworth, on Shuters Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, 29 July, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was stationed at Fort Ellsworth, on Shuters Hill, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861.

Note: The 17th New York Infantry was stationed at Fort Ellsworth, on Shuters Hill, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 17th New York Infantry).

Statement of artillery, Brevet Major & Chief of Atillery H J Hunt, 29 July, 1861: One hundred & twenty men

Distribution of troops, 1 January, 1861: Light Company A, Fort Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery, Company H (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); Company B, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company A); Company C, Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold; Light Company D, Fayetteville Arsenal, Cumberland County, North Carolina, Brevet Major & Captain S S Anderson (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D); Light Company E, Augusta Arsenal, Richmond County, Georgia, Captain A Elzey (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E); Light Company F, Little Rock Arsenal, Pulaski County, Arkansas, Captain J Totten; Light Company G, Fort Mackinac, Mackinac Island, Michigan, Captain H C Pratt (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G); Company H, Fort Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); Company I, Fort Ridgely, on the Missouria River, Nicollett County, Minnesota, Major W W Morris, 4th United States Artilley (See the Fort McHenry, Department of Annapolis); Company K, Plattsburg Barracks, Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery (See the United States Army, Department of Washington); Company L, Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; Light Company M, Fort Brown, on Rio Grande River, near Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, Captain B H Hill, 1st United States Artillery, Company M (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Organisation of 2nd United States Artillery, 3 April, 1861: Colonel M M Payne, Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, Majors H Brown and M Burke; Company A, Captain W F Barry; Company B, Captain A Elzey; Company C, Captain L G Arnold; Company D, Captain S S Anderson; Company E, Captain J H Carlisle; Company F, Captain J Totten; Company G, Captain H C Pratt; Company H, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain H Brooks; Company I, Captain A A Gibson; Company K, Captain H A Allen; Company L, Captain W Hays; Company M, Brevet Major & Captain H J Hunt

Note: Colonel M M Payne, 2nd United States Artillery, resigned at Richmond, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Company B, 1 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, on 1 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, under the command of Captain J H Carlisle, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 1 January, 1861, and detachments of the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, on 24 January, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G). Captain A Elzey, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, was assigned to the 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., on 16 February, 1861, and Captain J H Carlisle, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, was assigned to command the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company E, at Washington, D. C., on 21 February, 1861.

Fort Independence, Company C, 10 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company C, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, was stationed at Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, on 9 January, 1861.

Fort Independence, Castle Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, Company C, 10-18 January, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company C, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain L G Arnold, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Joseph Whitney to Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortuga, Monroe County, Florida, on 10 January, 1861, and arrived on 18 January, 1861.

Seizure of Little Rock Arsenal, Company F, 8 February, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, under the command of Captain J Totten, was stationed at Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 7 February, 1861.

Garrison at Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, 7 February, 1861: Captain J Totten, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F; 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F; detachment of United States Ordnance Department

Seizure of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, 8 February, 1861: Captain J Totten, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, surrendered Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, at 3 PM on 8 February 1861 (See the 1st Arkansas Infantry).

Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, to Jefferson Barracks Reservation, on the Mississippi River, Lemay, St. Louis County, Missouri, Light Company F, 8-22 February, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, acting as infantry, was ordered to Fletcher's Landing, on the Arkansas River, in the vicinity of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 8 February, 1861, and to proceed by the steamer Madara on the Arkansas River to St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 12 February, 1861. Light Company F arrived by the Mississippi River at Jefferson Barracks Reservation, Lemay, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 22 February, 1861.

Note: Captain J Totten, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was arrived at Fletcher's Landing, on the Arkansas River, in the vicinity of Little Rock Arsenal, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, on 11 February, 1861.

Jefferson Barracks Reservation, on the Mississippi River, Lemay, to St. Louis Arsenal, on the Mississippi River, near St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, 10 April, 1861: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was ordered to St. Louis Arsenal, on the Mississippi River, near St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, in the morning on 10 April, 1861, and arrived on 13 April, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at Jefferson Barracks Reservation, on the Mississippi River, Lemay, St. Louis County, Missouri, under the command of Major N C MaCrae, 3rd United States Infantry, between 24 February and 10 April, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Troops stationed at St Louis Arsenal, St. Louis County, Missouri, 13 April, 1861: Captain N Lyon, 2nd United States Infantry, Company B; 2nd United States Infantry, Company B; 2nd United States Artilley, Light Company F, Captain J Totten; United States General Service Recruits, 1st Company, Second Lieutenant W F Lee, 2nd United States Infantry, Company I; United States General Service Recruits, 2nd Company, Captain J W Sweeny, 2nd United States Infantry, Company D; 4th United States Artillery, Recruits, 1st Company, First Lieutenant R Saxton, 4th United States Artillery, Company I; 4th United States Artillery, Recruits, 2nd Company, Second Lieutenant W L Lothrop, 4th United States Artillery

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company F, was stationed at St. Louis Arsenal, on the Mississippi River, near St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, under the command of Captain N Lyons, 2nd United States Infantry, Company B, on 13 April, 1861.

Fort Monroe, Company L, 1 January, 1861

The 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, under the command of Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery, on 1 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, 1 January, 1861: Brevet Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J Dimock, 2nd United States Artillery; 1st United States Artillery, Company A, Captain I Vogdes; 1st United States Artillery, Company C, Captain J B Ricketts; 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, Captain J H Carlisle; 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, Captain W Hays; 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, First Lieutenant R B Ayres; 3rd United States Artillery, Company K, First Lieutenant C C Churchill; 4th United States Artillery, Company D, Captain J Roberts; 4th United States Artillery, Company L, Brevet Major & Captain T Williams

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Company L, under the command of Captain W Hays, was stationed at Fort Monroe, Artillery School of Practice, Old Point Comfort, Hampton, Virginia, on 1 January, 1861, and detachments of the 2nd United States Artillery, Companies B (6) and L (6), were assigned to the 1st United States Artillery, Company A, on 24 January, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Colonel O B Willcox, 1st Michigan Infantry, Second Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army: O B Willcox organised the 1st Michigan Infantry at Fort Wayne, Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, and was appointed colonel on 24 April, 1861. Colonel B Willcox, 1st Michigan Infantry, was appointed brigadier general dated 21 July, 1861.

Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, Third Division, McDowell's Army: Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, was ordered to Washington, D. C., by General Orders No.12, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 27 April, 1861, and proceeded by the New Jersey Railroad in the morning on 3 May, 1861. He arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, in the morning on 4 May, 1861, and was appointed acting inspector general, Department of Washington, by Special Orders No.20, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 8 May, 1861. Acting Inspector General & Major S P Heintzelman was assigned to command the the 8th New York State Militia Infantry, the 12th New York State Militia Infantry, and the 25th New York State Militia Infantry by General Orders No.1, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Notheastern Virginia, Alexandria, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 17th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel S P Heintzelman, 17th United States Infantry, was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st United States Infantry, Company A, was stationed at Camp Verde, on the San Antonio & El Paso Road, Kerr County, Texas, under the command of Major S P Heintzelman, 1st United States Infantry, on 1 January, 1861, and the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company D, was assigned to Brigadier General P Kearney's brigade, Division of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.50: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, p416-417
Captain R Arnold, Fifth United States Artillery, dated Washington, D. C., 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.46: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, p408-410
Colonel O B Willcox, First Michigan Infantry, Second Brigade, Third Division, McDowell's Army, dated Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, 3 September, 1862

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.43: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, p402-404
Colonel S P Heintzleman, Seventeenth United States Infantry, Third Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 31 July, 1861