The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Evacuation Of Alexandria, 24 May, 1861

John Cook's slave Pen, near Alexandria, Virginia

Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, between Payne and Fayette Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia

Garrison at Alexandria

COLONEL G H TERRETT
Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

Sixth Virginia Battalion Volunteers

MAJOR M D CORSE
Captain M D Corse, Old Dominion Rifles, was appointed major, Alexandria Battalion Volunteers, on 19 February, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.7, Headquarters, Potomac Division, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM, on 29 April, 1861. Major M D Corse, 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 17 May, 1861.

Company E Mount Vernon Guards: CAPT. S H Devaughn
The company was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 February, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company E, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Company G Old Dominion Rifles: Capt. A Herbert
The company was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 February, 1861, and Captain M D Corse, Old Dominion Rifles, was appointed major, Alexandria Battalion Volunteers, and First Lieutenant A Herbert, captain, Old Dominion Rifles, the same day. The company was ordered to evacuate Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company H, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Company H Alexandria Riflemen: CAPT. M Mayre
The company was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 February, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company A, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Unlettered Company Alexandria Artillery: CAPT. D Kemper
The company was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 February, 1861, and was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 6 May, 1861 (See the Alexandria Artillery).
Unlettered Company Emmett Guards: CAPT. J E Towsen, JR.
The company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 6 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company G, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Unlettered Company Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery: CAPT. T B Triplett
The company was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 5 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the Battalion Heavy Artillery, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, artillery, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.92, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861 (See the Battalion Heavy Artillery).
Unlettered Company O'Connell Guards: CAPT. S W Prestman
The company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company I, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Note: The Old Dominion Rifles was organised at American Hall, at the junction of Cameron and Pitt Streets, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 7 January, 1861, and a detachment of the National Volunteers, District of Columbia Militia, was assigned to the Old Dominion Rifles at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Attached To Sixth Virginia Battalion Volunteers

Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry: CAPT. M D Ball
The company was accepted in state service at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day and a detachment (36), under the command of Captain M D Ball, was captured adjacent to Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 24 May, 1861 (See the Occupation of Arlington Heights and Alexandria). Captain M D Ball, Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, was stationed on the steamer Powhatan on 27 May, 1861, and was released on 6 June, 1861. He was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and was assigned to duty as a guide and scout during the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861, and the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861. Captain M D Ball, Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, was paroled on 21 September, 1862, and the Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry was reorganised as the Chesterfield Troop by Special Orders No.222, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 September, 1862. The Chesterfield Troop was assigned to the 5th Virginia Cavalry, Company F (2nd), by Special Orders No. 276, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 December, 1862, and to the 11th Virginia Cavalry, Company I, on 5 February, 1863.

Note: The Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 60th Virginia Militia (Fairfax County), was organised at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 27 November, 1860, and was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry: CAPT. E B Powell
The company was organised at Catts' Tavern, West End, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 16 March, 1861, and was mustered in state service at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, by Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 April, 1861. The company was assigned to guard duty between Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, and opposite Little Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, between 20 April and 23 May, 1861. The company was assigned to Wickham's Squadron Cavalry, under the command of Captain W C Wickham, at Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 20 July, 1861 (See Wickham's Squadron Cavalry).

Attached To Garrison

Warren Rifles: CAPT. R H SIMPSON
The company was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861. The company was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company B, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Loudoun Guards: CAPT. G R HEAD
The company was accepted in state service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861. The company was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company C, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Additional Troops

Prince William Rifles: CAPT. G S HAMILTON
The company was accepted in state service at Haymarket, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 April 1861, and arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861. The company was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 6 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company F, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Fairfax Rifles: CAPT. W H DULANY
The company arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 April, 1861, and was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861. The company was stationed at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantry, Company D, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).
Richardson Guards: CAPT. J Welch
The company was accepted in state service at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day. The company was stationed at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Infantry, Company A, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special orders No.4, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).
Alexandria Home Guards: CAPT. C F Shuttle
The company was organised at American Hall, at the junction of Cameron and Pitt Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and was stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.
Loudoun Cavalry: CAPT. D T Shreve
The was accepted in state service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861. The company was stationed at Coyle's stables, on the northwest corner of Fairfax and Queen Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 8 and 22 May, 1861, and was ordered to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 23 May, 1861 (See the Independent Cavalry).

Note: The Havelock Guards, under the command of Captain W D Corse and First Lieutenant J Latouche, was stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.

Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers

A detachment of the National Rifles and the National Volunteers, District of Columbia Militia, were accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 1 and 22 April, 1861 (See the District of Columbia Militia, Department of Washington).

Company A Washington Volunteers: Capt. C K Sherman
The company was accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Captain C Boyle, on 22 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies B and C, and Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day. Captain C Boyle, Washington Volunteers, Company A, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 19th Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), by Special Orders No.54, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861, and was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 22 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (2nd), by Special Orders No.59, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

Note: Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5/6 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant C K Sherman, Washington Volunteers, Company A, was appointed captain, Washington Volunteers, Company A, at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 6 May, 1861 (See the Garrison at Camp Pickens).

Company B Washington Volunteers: Capt. R Cleary
The company was accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and C, and Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day. The company was mustered in state service at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's farm, east of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).
Company C Beauregard Rifles: Capt. F B Schaeffer
The company was accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 1 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, and Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 1 May, 1861, and was ordered to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.61, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861. The company was assigned to Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain F B Schaeffer, Beauregard Rifles, by Special Orders No.94, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861 (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry).

The Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, were stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L B Williams, Jr., infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 May, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).

Sources

"On Tuesday the 27th November, a number of young men of the neighbourhood met at Lewinsville, Fairfax county, and organised a fine Cavalry Company, to be attached to the 60th Regiment, Virginia Militia, M. Dulany Ball was elected Captain, Jas. H. Crocker 1st and C. Walker Kirby 2d Lieutenants."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 15 December, 1860 - Virginia news

"The Loudoun Guards, Capt. C. B. Tebbs, left that town for this place, yesterday."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 25 April, 1861 - Loudoun Guards

"The National Volunteers who left Washington some time since, on account of the prevailing feeling there, have organised three volunteer companies. The following are the officers of company B: R Cleary, Captain; J Browers, 1st Lieut.; M C Bradford, 2d Lieut.; C O White, 3d Lieut. Company A is commanded by Capt. Boyle. Company C has not chosen its officers."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 27 April, 1861 - National Volunteers

"The Fairfax Cavalry, under command of Capt. M. B. Ball, arrived in this city last evening, making a fine show and attracting general attention."

Alexandria Gazette (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 26 April, 1861 - Fairfax Cavalry

"The Richardson Guards, from Madison Court-House, Capt. Welch and Lieutenants Cave and Gordon, arrived in this city yesterday. They number 84 fine looking Virginia soldiers. The Fairfax Rifles, Captain W. A. Barnes, a fine looking company of men, arrived here yesterday, and went into barracks, on Prince street, near Fairfax. The Fairfax Cavalry, under command of Capt. M. B. Ball, arrived in this city last evening, making a fine show and attracting general attention."

Alexandria Gazette (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 26 April, 1861 - Military

"The Warren Guards, which arrived here on Friday, were among the first troops at Harpers Ferry. They brought to this city with them improved arms and ammunition for the Alexandria soldiers."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 29 April, 1861 - Warren Guards

"The National Volunteers, three companies, left yesterday morning for Culpeper Courthouse. Company A of the battalion have elected the following officers: Dr. Boyle, Captain; C K Sherman, 1st Lieutenant; Reu. Cleary, 2d Lieutenant; - Barker, 3d Lieutenant; W Maxwell, Orderly Sergeant."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 29 April, 1861 - National Volunteers

"Captain Wm. H Dulany's Company Fairfax Riflemen, under command of Lieut. Wm. A. Barnes; the Border Guard, (Cavalry) Capt. M. Dulany Ball, and a detachment of Capt. James W. Jackson's Artillery Company, all left this place yesterday (Thursday) for Alexandria, where they will go into quarters for the present. Since writing the above the Riflemen have returned to this place."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 29 April, 1861

"Headquarters Potomac Division, Alexandria, 27 April, 1861, General Orders, No.4 - The following companies, composing the sixth battalion of Virginia volunteers, under command of Major M. D. Corse, represented by him to have gone on duty on the days herein affixed to their names, are hereby mustered into the service of the State of Virginia, as from those dates respectively, to wit: Captain Morton Mayrye's company of light infantry, from 17th April, 1861. Captain Samuel H. Devaughn's company of light infantry, from 17th April, 1861. Captain Arthur Herbert's company of light infantry, from 17th April, 1861. Captain Delaware Kemper's company of artillery, from 17th April, 1861. Captain Thornton B. Triplett's company of artillery, from 25th April, 1861. Captain Jas. Edw. Towson's company of light infantry, from 25th April, 1861. And the staff of the battalion, to wit: Surgeon J. M. S. McGuire, Quartermaster Wm. B. Richards, Jr., Paymaster John A. Field, Adjutant A. J. Humphreys - from 17 April, 1861. Also, the cavalry companies of Capt. E. B. Powell and Capt. M. D. Ball, both of the county of Fairfax, the former as from 20th April, 1861, the latter as from 25th April, 1861. By order of Gen. P. St. G. Cocke: M. D. Corse, Acting Adjutant General."

Alexandria Gazette (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 30 April, 1861 - Military affairs

"We learn from a friend that the Irish Volunteers and Emmett Guards, stationed at Manassas Station, are in good spirits and are having a good time generally."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 14 May, 1861 - Irish Volunteers

"The Old Dominion Rifles, Capt. Herbert, returned to this city yesterday. The Rifles are now quartered at Aspen Grove."

Alexandria Gazette & Virginia Advertiser (Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia), 20 May, 1861 - The Old Dominion Rifles

Books/ Manuscripts

History of the Seventeenth Virginia Infantry, C.S.A, published by Kelly, Piet & Co. in Baltimore

Manassas to Appomattox: The Civil War memoirs of Pvt. Edgar Warfield, 17th Virginia Infantry, by Edgar Warfield, Jr., and George Warfield

Northern Virginia's own: The 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Confederate States Army, by William M Glasgow, Jr., colonel, United States Army, retired

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition, by I A Wallace, Jr.

Biographical sketches of the commissioned officers of the Confederate States Marine Corps, by Ralph W Donnelly, revised, expanded, and annotated by David M Sullivan

Life of James W. Jackson, the Alexandria hero, the slayer of Ellsworth, the first martyr in the cause of southern independence; containing a full account of the circumstances of his heroic death, and the many remarkable incidents in his eventful life, constituting a true history, more like romance than reality

Notes

The Old Dominion Rifles, the Mount Vernon Guards, the Alexandria Riflemen, and the Alexandria Artillery were assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers, under the command of Major M D Corse, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 19 February, 1861.

Note: Captain M D Corse, Old Dominion Rifles, was appointed major, Alexandria Battalion Volunteers, and First Lieutenant A Herbert, Old Dominion Rifles, was appointed captain, Old Dominion Rifles, on 19 February, 1861.

Organisation of 175th Virginia Militia (Alexandria County), 12 February, 1861: Colonel C E Stuart, Lieutenant Colonel H C Dorsey, First Major J R Smoot, Second Major W F Padgett; Company A, Captain W S Moore; Company B, Captain J P Clarke; Company C, Captain E Francis; Company E, Captain J Williams; Company G, Captain U W Barker; Company H, Captain D L Smoot; Company (?), Captain (?) Fox; Company (?), Captain (?) Fonschil

Note: The Beauregard Rifles, under the command of Captain F B Schaeffer, was accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 1 April, 1861.

Colonel P St G Cocke, 22-28 April, 1861

Captain P St G Cocke, Powhatan Troop, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the Potomac Division/ Department of Alexandria between 21 April and 31 May, 1861.

Richmond, Henrico County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 21-22 April, 1861: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad in the morning on 22 April, 1861.

Note: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at the Mansion House Hotel, on Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 22 and 29 April, 1861, and a detachment of the Old Dominion Rifles, under the command of First Lieutenant W H Fowle, Jr., was assigned to picket duty at the bridge three quarters of a mile east of Roach's Mill, on Four Miles Run; the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike; and west of the Long Bridge, on the Potomac River, Washington, D. C., on 23 April, 1861.

Leesburg, Loudoun County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Loudoun Guards, 24-25 April, 1861: The Loudoun Guards was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Note: The Loudoun Guards (80) was stationed at Tenneesson's old Restaurant, on Cameron Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 24 and 25 April, 1861.

Troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 April, 1861: The Alexandria Artillery was stationed at Lyceum Hall, on the corner of Washington and Prince Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia; the Mount Vernon Guards, Companies A and B, on Fairfax Street, between King and Prince Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia; the Old Dominion Rifles at 515 King Street, between Pitt and Asaph Streets, Alexandria, Virginia; the Alexandria Riflemen at the northeast corner of King and Columbus Streets, Alexandria, Virginia; the Loudoun Guards at Tenneesson's Old Restaurant, on Cameron Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia; Washington Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry on Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861.

Amissville, Rappahannock County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Rappahannock Cavalry/ Old Guard, 24 April, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry/ Old Guard arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861 (See Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry).

Madison Courthouse, Madison County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Richardson Guards, 25 April, 1861: The Richardson Guards arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).

Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Fairfax Rifles & Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 25 April, 1861: The Fairfax Rifles, under the command of First Lieutenant W A Barnes, and the Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, under the command of Captain M D Ball, were ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and were accompanied by a detachment of Jackson's Artillery, under the command of Captain J W Jackson.

Note: The Fairfax Rifles was accepted in state service at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861. The Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, was stationed at Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, between Payne and Fayette Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 25 April and 23 May, 1861, and the Jackson's Artillery was disbanded at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25/30 April, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Warren Rifles, 25-26 April, 1861: The Warren Rifles was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 19 and 24 April, 1861, and was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861. The company arrived by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861.

Note: the Warren Rifles was stationed on cameron Street, between Royal and Fairfax Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 25 April and 23 May, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery, 25 April, 1861: The Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery was accepted in state service at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was assigned to the Alexandria Battalion Volunteers on 25 April, 1861.

Note: The Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery was stationed at Lyceum Hall, on the corner of Washington and Prince Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 25 April and 5 May, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Emmett Guards, 27 April, 1861: The Emmett Guards was accepted in state service at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was assigned to the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers on 27 April, 1861.

General Orders No.4, Headquarters, Potomac Division, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 27 April, 1861: The Alexandria Battalion Volunteers was designated the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers by General Orders No.4, Headquarters, Potomac Division, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, 28 April, 1861: The Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861, and was accompanied by Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia. The battalion arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 28 April, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 27 April, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 8 May, 1861 (See the Lay's Squadron Cavalry).

Haymarket, Prince William County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Prince William Rifles, 29 April, 1861: The Prince William Rifles arrived at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861.

Major M D Corse, 29 April-1 May, 1861

Major M D Corse, 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, was temporarily assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.7, Headquarters, Potomac Division, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM, on 29 April, 1861.

Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, 2-9 May, 1861

Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was accompanied by and Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia.

Captain C Boyle, Washington Volunteers, Company A, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, and Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, 2 May, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 30 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 3-4 May, 1861: The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers and the Warren Rifles, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the evening on 3 May, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 4 May, 1861. The ordered was countermanded as the telegraph operator at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, wrote 'Send up battalion' instead of 'Send up battery' and the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers and the Warren Rifles arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 4 May, 1861.

Note: The Alexandria Artillery was assigned to Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the morning on 4 May, 1861.

Troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 5 May, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia; Major M D Corse, 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (52), Company E, Mount Vernon Guards, Captain S H Devaughn; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (85), Company G, Old Dominion Rifles, Captain A Herbert; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company H, Alexandria Riflemen, Captain M Mayre; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Unlettered, Emmett Guards (63), Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (52), Unlettered, Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T B Triplett; Warren Rifles (53), Captain R H Simpson; Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry (30), Captain E B Powell; Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry (40), Captain M D Ball

Evacuation of Alexandria, 5-7 May, 1861

The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, the Warren Rifles, the Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, and the Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Springfield Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 5 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Taylor, on Back Lick Run, north of Springfield, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 6 May, 1861.

Note: The Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery and the Emmett Guards were stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Morning report of Alexandria Battalion of Virginia Volunteers, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 6 May, 1861: Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia; Adjutant & Second Lieutenant G L Whittington, Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery; Emmett Guards (63), Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery (51), Captain T B Triplett; Prince William Rifles (70), Captain A S Hamilton; Alexandria Artillery (76), Captain D Kemper

Note: A detachment of the Emmett Guards (23) and Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery (1) were on detached duty in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Camp Taylor, on Back Lick Run, north of Springfield, Fairfax County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 7 May, 1861: The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers and the Warren Rifles were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 7 May, 1861.

Note: Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Springfield Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 6 May, 1861, and Aide de Camp G B Cooke at 2 AM on 7 May, 1861.

Leesburg, Loudoun County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Loudoun Guards & Loudoun Cavalry, 8 May, 1861: The Loudoun Guards and the Loudoun Cavalry were ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.

Disposition of troops, Headquarters, Potomac Department, Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (100), Company E, Captain S H Devaugh; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (88), Company G, Captain A Herbert; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (69), Company H, Captain M Mayre; Alexandria Home Guards (100), Captain J Latouche; Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry (53), Captain E B Powell; Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, Captain M D Ball, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fairfax Rifles (51), Captain W H Dulany, at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia; Washington Volunteers (113), Company A, Captain C K Sherman; Porter's Company (74), Captain J C Porter; Alexandria Artillery (86), Captain D Kemper, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia; Richardson Guards, Captain J Welsh, at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T B Triplett, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry/ Old Guard (64), Captain J S Green, at Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia; Black Horse Troop, Captain W H Payne, at Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia; Powhatan Troop, Captain J F Lay, en route to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia

Colonel G H Terrett, 10-24 May, 1861

Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, Old Dominion Rifles, 9-19 May, 1861: The Old Dominion Rifles was assigned to guard commissionary stores at Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, between 9 and 19 May, 1861.

Note: The Old Dominion Rifles was stationed at Aspen or Peyton Grove, on King Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.

Regimental muster, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 175th Virginia Militia (Alexandria County), 11 May, 1861: The 175th Virginia Militia (Alexandria County) was ordered to muster at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861.

Troops stationed at & in the vicinity of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, (918), 12 May, 1861: Colonel Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia; Lynchburg Home Guards, Captain K Otey; Lynchburg Rifles Greys, Captain M S Langhorne; Southern Guards, Captain R C Saunders; Farmville Guards, Captain R A Booker; Prince William Rifles (60), Captain A S Hamilton; Irish Volunteers/ Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T B Triplett; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; Black Horse Troop (76), Captain W H Payne; section of Alexandria Artillery, Captain D Kemper, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Warrenton Rifles (88), Captain J Q Marr, at Bristoe Station, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry/ Old Guard (57), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia

Note: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 9 and 13 May, 1861, and was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861.

Aqueduct Bridge, Georgetown, D. C., Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 13 May, 1861: A detachment of the Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry were stationed at the Aqueduct Bridge, Georgetown, D. C., on 13 May, 1861.

Note: The O'Connell Guards was assigned to the 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.

Troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 23 May, 1861: Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia; Major M D Corse, Provisional Army of Virginia; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company E, Mount Vernon Guards, Captain S H Devaughn; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company G, Old Dominion Rifles, Captain A Herbert; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company H, Alexandria Riflemen, Captain M Mayre; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Unlettered Company, O'Connell Guards, Captain S W Prestman; Warren Rifles, Captain R H Simpson; Loudoun Guards, Captain G R Head; Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, Captain E B Powell; Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, Captain M D Ball

Evacuation of Alexandria, 24 May, 1861

The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, the Warren Rifles, the Loudoun Guards, the Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, and the Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, under the command of Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, were stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861.

Holmes Run, three miles west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, the Warren Rifles, the Loudoun Guards, the Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, and the Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, were ordered to rendezvous at Lyceum Hall, on Washington Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861, and to proceed by Duke Street and the Little River Turnpike to Holmes Run, three miles west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM the same day (See the Occupation of Arlington Heights and Alexandria).

Holmes Run, three miles west of Alexandria, Alexandria County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, the Warren Rifles, the Loudoun Guards, and the Washington('s) Home Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 24 May, 1861.

Note: The O'Connell Guards were ordered to destroy the bridges on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad between Springfield Station and Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861.

Capture of Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 24 May, 1861

The Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, under the command of Captain M D Ball, was stationed adjacent to Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, between Payne and Fayette Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861.

Organisation of Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 27 November, 1860: Captain M D Ball, First Lieutenant J H Crocker, Second Lieutenant C W Kirby

Note: Sergeant J T Ball and Private G F Kirby, Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, were captured west of the Chain or Falls Bridge, on the Potomac River, two and a half miles northwest of Georgetown, D. C., by the Anderson Rifles, Company A, 1st District of Columbia Battalion Militia, in the evening on 23 May, 1861 (See the Department of Washington, District of Columbia Militia).

Captured adjacent to Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, between Payne and Fayette Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: The Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry (36) was captured by the 11th New York Infantry, Company A; the 2nd United States Cavalry, Company E; and one 6 pounder and one 12 pounder field howitzer of the 3rd United States Artillery, Light Company E, under the command of Colonel O B Willcox, 1st Michigan Infantry, adjacent to Price, Birch & Co Slave Pens, on Duke Street, between Payne and Fayette Streets, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 24 May, 1861.

Note: The Border Guards/ Fairfax Cavalry, 60th Virginia Militia (Fairfax County), was organised at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 27 November, 1860, and the 175th Virginia Militia (Alexandria County) was disbanded on 24 May, 1861.

Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, 8 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861: Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Maryland, between 9 and 26 January, 1861, and resigned on 25 April, 1861, dated 8 May, 1861 (See the United States Marine Corps Battalion). He was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers at Culpeper Courthouse, Virginia, on 30 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 2 May, 1861. He was assigned to command Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861, and was appointed captain, Confederate States Marine Corps, on 4 December, 1861.

Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, 8 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, resigned on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861. He was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861. Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, evacuated Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 6.50 AM on 24 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No. 20, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861 (See the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac). He was assigned to command the garrison at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.92, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861, and was appointed major, Confederate States Marine Corps, on 22 August, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the United States Marine Corps (40), under the command of Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Philadelphia to Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Maryland, in the afternoon on 5 January, 1861, and was assigned to garrison duty between 5 and 26 January, 1861. Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, was assigned to command Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Maryland, between 9 and 26 January, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, was ordered to the Marine Barracks, on the corner of Eighth and I Streets, Washington, D. C., on 9 January, 1861 (See the United States Marine Corps Battalion).

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.5: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp42-43
Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, commanding at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, dated Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 24-25 May, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT No.6: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp43-44
Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, commanding at Alexandria, dated Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 24 and 28 May, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.