The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Members of Company A, 1st Virginia Infantry, at John Brown’s execution in 1859

1st Virginia Infantry, Company A, at John Brown’s execution in 1859

First Virginia Infantry

Eight companies arrived Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 26 May, 1861. Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Stationed at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL P T MOORE
Colonel P T Moore, 1st Virginia Infantry, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and was severely wounded during a skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL W H FRY
Lieutenant Colonel W H Fry, 1st Virginia Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and was appointed mustering officer at Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W H Fry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.11, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the 1st Virginia Infantry at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861. He resigned on 11 November, 1861.

MAJOR F G SKINNER
W P Munford was appointed major, 1st Virginia Infantry, on 18 September, 1860, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861. Major W P Munford, 1st Virginia Infantry, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 13 June, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W P Munford, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to the 17th Virginia Infantryby Special Orders No.50, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 June, 1861, and F G Skinner was stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861. He was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry by Special Orders No.98, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Company A Richmond Greys, Company A: CAPT. W M ELLIOTT
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad to Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at the Norfolk Academy Building, on Bank Street, Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia, by Captain E Bradford, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 9 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 12th Virginia Infantry, Company G, on 12 July, 1861.
Company B Richmond City Guards: CAPT. J K Lee
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861. Captain J K Lee was mortally wounded during a skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on July 18, 1861, and died on 25 July, 1861. Second Lieutenant R Harrison, 1st Virginia infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, 1st Virginia infantry, Company B, at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 5 August, 1861.
Company C Montgomery Guards: CAPT. J DOOLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 25 April, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 April, 1861.
Company D Old Dominion Guards: CAPT. J GRISWOLD
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was ordered to barracks the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day.
Company E (1st) Richmond Light Infantry Blues: CAPT. O J Wise
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the morning on 24 April, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, in the morning on 13 June, 1861, and arrived at the Greenbrier Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles southwest of Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 14 June, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at the Greenbrier Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, two miles southwest of Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, by Captain G W Carr, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861.
Company E (2nd) Washington Volunteers, Company A: CAPT. C K SHERMAN
The company was accepted in state service at Phoenix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Captain C Boyle, on 22 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria). The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies B and C, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day. Captain C Boyle, Washington Volunteers, Company A, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 6 May, 1861 (See the Garrison at Camp Pickens). The company was mustered in state service for one year, under the command of Captain C K Sherman, at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 19th Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), by Special Orders No.54, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861, and was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 22 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (2nd), by Special Orders No.59, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861. The company was mustered out at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1862, and the men assigned to the 7th Virginia Infantry, Company H, on 22 April, 1862, dated 26 April, 1862. The 7th Virginia Infantry, Company H, was disbanded on 16 May, 1862 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).
Company F (1st): CAPT. R H Cunningham
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, under the command of Captain R M Cary, on 21 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the morning on 24 April, 1861. Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant R H Cunningham, Jr, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), on 16 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R M Cary, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick and Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 30th Virginia Infantry, on 15 June, 1861 (See the 30th Virginia Infantry). The company was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Confederate States Army, on 28 June, 1861, dated 21 April, 1861. The company was assigned to the 21st Virginia Infantry, Company F, the same day and was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861.
Company F (2nd) Beauregard Rifles: CAPT. F B SCHAEFFER
The company was accepted in state service at Pheonix Hall, on Prince Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 1 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria). The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, and Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 1 May, 1861, and was ordered to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.61, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861. The company was assigned to Schaeffers Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain F B Schaeffer, by Special Orders No.94, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (2nd), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.150, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861 (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry). The company was redesignated the 1st (2nd) Virginia Artillery, Company C, on 7 September, 1861. The company was discharged by General Orders No.71, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 5 November, 1861, and mustered out on 13 November, 1861.
Company G Gordon's Company: CAPT. W H GORDoN
The company was accepted in state service at Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 April, 1861. Second Lieutenant H H Miles, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company G, was killed during a skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.
Company H (1st) Richmond Howitzer Company: CAPT. J W Randolh
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 26 April, 1861. Captain J W Randolph, Richmond Howitzer Company, was appointed major, Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861 (See the Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st Company).
Company H (2nd) Richmond Greys, Company B: CAPT. F J BOGGS
The company was accepted and mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 4 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of Capitol Hill, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.25, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861. Captain F J Boggs, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company H (2nd), resigned and was granted a leave of absence for fifteen days by Special Orders No.308, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 September, dated 10 September, 1861, and was appointed major, 12th Virginia Battalion Artillery, on 15 May, 1862. First Lieutenant J H Greaner, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company H (2nd), was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company H (2nd), on 19 October, 1861.
Company I Taylor's' Company: CAPT. W O TAYLOR
The company was accepted and mustered in state service for one year, under the command of Captain R F Morris, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and Captain R F Morris, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, resigned on 1 May, 1861. First Lieutenant W O Taylor, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, on 8 May, 1861, and his resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.263, Paragraph XVI, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861, dated 5 September, 1861. Second Lieutenant J W Tabb, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, was appointed captain, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, on 7 September, 1861.
Company K Virginia Rifles (formerly known as Richmond German Rifles): CAPT. F MILLER
The company was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 26 April, 1861. The company was disbanded at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1862.
Company Unlettered Richmond Fayette Artillery: CAPT. H C CABELL
The company was mustered in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was assigned to Colonel J B Magruder, artillery, Confederate States Army, at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861. The company was ordered to Gloucester Point, Gloucester County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and Captain H C Cabell, Richmond Fayette Artillery, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Virginia Light Artillery on 12 September, 1861 (See Schaeffers Battalion Infantry).
Drum Corps: Serg. MAJ. & First Serg. C R M POHLE
A detachment of musicians (14) was accepted and mustered in state service for one year as part of the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and Major Sergeant & First Sergeant C R M Pohle, 1st Virginia Infantry, was mustered in state service for one year by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861.

Wise's Battalion Infantry

Captain O J Wise, Richmond Light Infantry Blues
Senior Captain O J Wise, Richmond Light Infantry Blues, was assigned to command the Wise Battalion Infantry on (?) June, 1861.

Company Unlettered Richmond Light infantry Blues: First Lt. F Carter
First Lieutenant F Carter, Richmond Light Infantry Blues, was assigned to command the company on (?) June, 1861, and the company was assigned to the 59th Virginia Infantry, Company A (1st), by General Orders No.(?), Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 8 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 46th Virginia Infantry, Company A, by General Orders No.81, Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.
Company Unlettered Beirne's or Monroe Sharpshooters: First Lt. W S Rowan
The company was accepted in state service at Union, Monroe County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and was ordered to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, at 10.30 AM on 12 June, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, by Captain G W Carr, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861, abd was assigned to the 59th Virginia Infantry, Company B (1st), under the command of Captain C J Beirne, by General Orders No.(?), Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 8 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 60th Virginia Infantry, Company A, by General Orders No.81, Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.

Wise's Battalion Infantry, Wise Brigade, was organised on (?) June, 1861, and Beirne's or Monroe Sharpshooters was assigned to the 60th Virginia Infantry, Company A, and the Richmond Light Infantry Blues to the 46th Virginia Infantry, Company A, by General Orders No.81, Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.

Note: Captain G W Carr, infantry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to Honourable H A Wise by Special Orders No.63, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861, and Honourable H A Wise was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 5 June, 1861. Brigadier General H A Wise, Confederate States Army, arrived by the Virginia Central Railroad at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, in the evening on 10 June, 1861.

Pawnee Sunday

The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st); the Richmond Howitzer Company; and the Richmond Fayette Artillery were ordered to to engage the U.S.S. Pawnee at Wilton's Plantation, on the north bank of the James River, opposite Drewery Bluff's, Chesterfield County, five miles south of Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by barges on the James River to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 22 April, 1861.

Note: The Young Guards and Virginia Life Guards were stationed at the wharf, Rocketts Landing, south of Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Howitzer's, Company F, and Fayette Artillery; returned to this city yesterday, and reported all quiet below on James River."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 23 April, 1861 - Return of military

"This company, commanded by Capt. John Dooley, joined the encampment on Saturday with 86 men."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 29 April, 1861 - Montgomery Guard

"Our city Regiment, under the command of Col. P. T. Moore, left for Manassas Gap on Saturday, at 12 o'clock, embarking on the Fredericksburg cars, at the Central Fair Grounds. They carried their splendid band along with them. At the same hour, the Central cars left with the Second Company of Howitzers, from the foot of Union street, carrying a full battery, horses, etc., intending to connect at the Junction. Owing to an accident, elsewhere noticed, the troops, after arriving at the Junction, were detained several hours before they could proceed.

Col. P. T. Moore; Acting Adjutant, Samuel P. Mitchell; 1st Company C, (Montgomery Guards,) Jno. Dooley, Captain; 2d Company B, J. K. Lee, Captain; 3d Company I, W. O. taylor, Captain; 4th Company D, J. G. Griswold, Captain; 5th Company H, F. J. Boggs, Captain; 6th Company G, Wm. H. Gordon, Captain; 7th Company K, (Virginia Rifles,) John Miller, Captain.

The Regiment numbered about 850 men. It is said Company F and the Blue, (about 250 together,) will join their regiment soon. They were at last dates near Fredericksburg."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 27 May, 1861 - Departure of the First Regiment Virginia Volunteers

"The R. L. I. Blues, who have been on duty for several weeks past in the vicinity of Aquia Creek and the enemy's cruisers, having been ordered back to this post, returned by the Fredericksburg route yesterday, under the gallant Capt., O. J. Wise."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 11 June, 1861 - Returned home

"Among the soldiers here are several companies from Washington city itself. One is commanded by Capt. Schaeffer, formerly of the far-famed National Rifles. There are two other companies of Washington volunteers, (the old National Volunteers,) under the command, respectively, of Capt. Sherman and Cleary."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 14 June, 1861

"Company F, Capt. R. H. Cunningham, stationed for some weeks past at Camp Mercer, near Fredericksburg, Va., have returned to this city, and will, it is said, shortly rejoin their comrades of the First Regiment at Manassas Junction."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 15 June, 1861 - Returned

"Four companies of the First Regiment of Virginia Volunteers were at Fairfax Court-House on Monday evening, besides the Warrenton Rifles and five Cavalry Companies, viz.; Ball's, Chesterfield corps; Wickham's, (Hanover,) Prince William, Rappahannock and Black Horse Cavalry, of Fauquier. It was thought probable that Col. Maxcy Gregg's South Carolinians would take the place of the Richmond companies, and permit them to rejoin their Regiment at Manassas Junction."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 19 June, 1861 - Military

"Captain Wise, of company E, Richmond Volunteers, was by me throught Saturday's engagement, and while the enemy's fire was hottest, voluntered to go for infantry to repel an apprehended landing of the enemy under cover of the smoke."

The Richmond (Semi-weekley edition) Enquirer, 18 June, 1861 - Naval Battery, Aquia Creek, 9 June, 1861

"About sixty of this splendid company arrived here yesterday afternoon, and went into camp at the Fair Grounds."

The Richmond Enquirer, 20 June, 1861 - Richmond Blues, Lewisburg Era of Saturday

"Lieut. Col. Wm. H. Fry had been with the regiment for several days, and was much liked. Maj. Wm. Munford had been promoted to be Lieutenant Colonel in the Confederate Army, but was with the regiment, and went with four companies to Fairfax C. H. last Tuesday."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 24 June, 1861 - From Manassas Junction

"On Thursday evening the detachment of the 1st Regiment stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, with the Warrenton and Prince William, Rifles, received orders to march to this place, which I must say did not please our boys very well, for having been sent forward, they did not like the idea of going backward when the enemy was almost within sight."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 June, 1861 - Camp Pickens, 22 June, 1861

"The Washington Volunteers, Company A, Capt. Sherman, have been attached to the First Regiment, and are now in camp with us. They are a gallant company, and will prove a valuable acquisition to our forces."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 1 July, 1861 - Camp Pickens

"Gen. Wise was then in Charleston, and Capt. O. J. Wise's company, the Richmond Blues, left Charleston about 10 o'clock at night, June 29th, for Gilmer county, in consequence of having learned that about 100 of the enemy had crossed over and were committing depredations."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 10 July, 1861 - Charleston, Kanawha County, 30 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: First Virginia Infantry, Third Edition, by L A Wallace, Jr.

War history of the old First Virginia Infantry Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia, by Charles T Loehr

Richmond Volunteers: The volunteer companies of the City of Richmond and Henrico County, Virginia, 1861-1865, by Louis H Manarin and Lee A Wallace, Jr.

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

"Colonel Moore of the 1st was shot through the arm and side, Captain J. K. Lee, 1st, mortally wounded, it is thought, and by our own men, Lieutenant Harman slightly wounded, Colonel Fry, 1st, had a sunstroke and had to be carried off; his horse was shot."

Annals of the Lynchburg Home Guard, prepared by request by Charles M Blackford, Jr.

Notes

The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, C, D, G, H, and K, were ordered to rendezvous at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was organised on 1 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp Lee, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond; Manassas, Prince William County, & Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 21, 24, 25, 26, & 27 April & 1, 4, & 6 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company I, was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 21 April, 1861; Company B for one year on 24 April, 1861; Company C for one year on 25 April, 1861; Company K for one year on 26 April, 1861; Company D for one year on 27 April, 1861; Company F (2nd) for one year at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 1 May, 1861; Company H (2nd) for one year at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 4 May, 1861; and Company E (2nd) for one year at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 6 May, 1861.

Note: P T Moore was appointed captain, Montgomery Guards, on 10 July, 1850, and Captain W I Smith, Richmond Greys, Company B, was appointed sergeant, Richmond Greys, Company A, on 19 April, 1861.

Richmond to Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia, Company A, 21 April, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company A, was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad to Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and arrived by the Norfolk & Petersburg Railroad at the Virginia Hotel, on Commerce Street, Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia, the same day. The company was assigned to the 12th Virginia Infantry, Company G, on 12 July, 1861.

Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 23 April 1861: Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, was set up west of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, under the command of Colonel W Gilham, Virginia Military Institute, on 23 April, 1861, and the Virginia Military Institute Corps Cadets were assigned as drillmasters on 24 April, 1861 (See the 1st Rockbridge Artillery). Brigadier General J H Winder, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and Colonel C Dimmock, ordnance, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 18 July, 1861.

Spotswood Hotel, on the corner of Main & Twelfth Streets, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company H (1st), 23 April-8 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company H (1st), was ordered to Spotswood Hotel, on the corner of Main and Twelfth Streets, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and was assigned to the Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, under the command of Major G W Randolph, on 8 May, 1861.

Richmond to Fredericksburg, Virginia, Companies E (1st) & F (1st), 24 April, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), were ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and arrived via Hanover Junction, Hanover County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), and the Sparta Greys were stationed at Fredericksburg Courthouse, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861 (See the 30th Virginia Infantry).

Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick & Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 27 April, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), the Sparta Greys, the Purcell Artillery, and the Caroline Light Dragoons were stationed at Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick and Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

Note: Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick and Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, was under the command of Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), on 9 May, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, Company F (2nd), 28 April, 1861: The Beauregard Rifles was stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria). The company was accompanied by the Washington (National) Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, and Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, and Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day.

Troops stationed at Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick & Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 9 May, 1861: 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st (103)), Captain O J Wise; 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st (113)), Captain R M Cary; Fredericksburg (Rifle) Guards (79), 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company A, Captain J W Sener; Fredericksburg Washington Guards (66), 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company B, Captain R S Chew; Carolune Greys (69), Captain R O Peatross; Purcell Artillery (60), Captain R L Walker; Fredericksburg Artillery (55), Captain C M Braxton

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was stationed at Poplar Spring, in the vicinity of Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861, and Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, and assigned to command the troops stationed between Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick and Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, and Potomac River on 14 May, 1861.

Disposition of troops, Headquarters, Potomac Department, Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (100), Company E, Captain S H Devaugh; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (88), Company G, Captain A Herbert; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (69), Company H, Captain M Mayre; Alexandria Home Guards (100), Captain J Latouche; Washington('s) Home Guards or Fairfax Cavalry (53), Captain E B Powell; Border Guards or Fairfax Cavalry, Captain M D Ball, at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia; Fairfax Rifles (51), Captain W H Dulany, at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia; Washington Volunteers (113), Company A, Captain C K Sherman; Porter's Company (74), Captain J C Porter; Alexandria Artillery (86), Captain D Kemper, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia; Richardson Guards, Captain J Welsh, at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T Triplett, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry (64), Captain J S Green, at Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia; Black Horse Troop, Captain W H Payne, at Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia; Powhatan Troop, Captain J F Lay, enroute to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia

Fredericksburg to Aquia Creek Landing, at the junction of Aquia Creek & Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, 14 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), arrived by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad at Aquia Creek Landing, at the junction of Aquia Creek and Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, and on 14 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), were stationed at Game Point, on Aquia Creek, in the vicinity of Aquia Creek Landing, at the junction of Aquia Creek and Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, between 26 May and 5 June, 1861.

Consolidated return of the troops stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper Counrty, Virginia, 20 May, 1861: Major F G Skinner, 19th Virginia Infantry, appears on a consolidated return of the troops stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper Counrty, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Company E (2nd), 22 May, 1861: The Washington Volunteers, Company A, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861.

Note: The Washington Volunteers, Company A, was assigned to the 19th Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), by Special Orders No.54, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies B, C, D, G, H (2nd), I, & K, 25-26 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry (850), Companies B, C, D, G, H (2nd), I, and K, under the command of Colonel P T Moore, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.110, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 25 May, 1861, dated 24 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 26 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, C, D, G, H (2nd), I, and K, were delayed by a collision on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, in the vicinity of Orange Courthouse, Orange County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 May, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry and the Lynchburg Artillery).

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, Companies B, C, D, G, H (2nd), I, & K, 27 May, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, C, D, G, H (2nd), I, and K, were ordered to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10 AM on 27 May, 1861, and to Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.119, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and to Camp Mercer, Mercer Square or Fairgrounds, between Frederick and Mercer Streets, Fredericksburg, Virginia, by General Orders No.17, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861.

Skirmish at Aquia Creek Landing, at the junction of Aquia Creek & Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, Companies E (1st) & F (1st), 29 & 31 May &1 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), were stationed in the vicinity of Aquia Creek Landing, at the junction of Aquia Creek and Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, during the skirmish with the U.S.S Thomas Freeborn, Anacostia, Resolute, and Pawnee on 29 and 31 May and 1 June, 1861 (See the 2nd Tennessee Infantry).

Note: Captain O J Wise, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was stationed at Naval Battery No.1, Aquia Creek and Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, during the skirmish with the U.S.S Thomas Freeborn, Anacostia, and Pawnee between 11.30 AM and 4.30 PM on 1 June, 1861, and the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was stationed at Marlboro(ugh) Point, at the junction of Potomac Creek and Potomac River, Stafford County, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, Companies B, D, G, & K, 1-2 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, D, G, and K, under the command of Major W Munford, were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 1 June, 1861, and arrived via Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 2 June, 1861 (See the Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse). Companies B, D, G, and K were assigned to detached duty, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 2 and 21 June, 1861.

Note: The 7th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, C, F, H, and K, under the command of Colonel J L Kemper, were ordered to relieve the 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, D, G, and K, and proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.4, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.4, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies B, D, G, & K, 4 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, D, G, and K, under the command of Major W Munford, were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.4, Paragrapgh II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Fredericksburg to Richmond & Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, Company E (1st), 10-14 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day. Company E (1st) was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, in the morning on 13 June, 1861, and arrived on 14 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (1st), was assigned to the 59th Virginia Infantry, Company A (1st), by General Orders No.(?), Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 8 August, 1861, and to the 46th Virginia Infantry, Company A, by General Orders No.81, Headquarters, Wise Brigade, White Sulpher Springs, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.

Fredericksburg to Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company F (1st), 14 & 28 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 21st Virginia Infantry, Company F, at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies B, D, G, & K, 21 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, D, G, and K, were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W H Fry, by Special Orders No.51, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 5 AM on 21 June, 1861, dated 20 June, 1861, and were accompanied by the 17th Virginia Infantry, Companies F and K. Companies B, D, G, and K arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel G H Terrett, by General Orders No.20, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, Company E (2nd), 22 June, 1861: The Washington Volunteers, Company A, or 19th Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 22 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

Note: The Washington Volunteers, Company A, or 19th Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (2nd), by Special Orders No.59, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, & Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, Company F (2nd), 22 June, 1861: The Beauregard Rifles was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861, and was ordered to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.61, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861.

Centreville, Fairfax County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Company E (2nd), 24 June, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Company E (2nd), arrived at Camp Pickens, Prince William County, Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.

Note: Second Lieutenant W English, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company B, arrived in charge of Captain A G Kellogg, 2nd Connecticut Infantry, Infantry Company B, and Sergeant A C Monroe, 2nd Connecticut Infantry, Rifle Company A, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 24 June, 1861, and Second Lieutenant J T Vaughan, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company H, arrived two prisoners of the 2nd United States Cavalry (1), Company E, and 11th New York Infantry (1) at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 June, 1861. Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, and was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.92, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, Company F (2nd), 6 & 23 July, 1861: The Beauregard Rifles was assigned to Schaeffers Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain F B Schaeffer, by Special Orders No.94, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861, and to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (2nd), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.150, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry was ordered to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 17 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry was engaged in the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 11 AM and 4.30 PM on 18 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the 1st Virginia Infantry was stationed at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, to one & a half miles southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry was ordered one and a half miles southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.146, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 July, 1861, dated 22 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General J Longstreet, by Special Orders No.169, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 July, 1861: 1st Virginia Infantry, 7th Virginia Infantry, 11th Virginia Infantry, 17th Virginia Infantry, Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st Company; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies B, E, F, and I

Note: The Beauregard Rifles was assigned to the 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (2nd), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861 (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry).

One & a half miles southeast of Centreville, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 10 August, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.216, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 August, 1861, dated 9 August, 1861, and arrived at Camp Harrison, Headquarters, Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 27 April, 1862: The 1st Virginia Infantry was reorganised at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 1st Virginia Infantry, under the command of Major General G E Pickett, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Major J Longstreet, paymaster, United States Army, resigned at Alburqueue, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, on 1 June, 1861, and was stationed at Galveston, on Galveston and Pelican Islands, Galveston County, Texas, on 10 June, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J Longstreet, infantry, Confederate States Army, proceeded by schooner to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 11 June, 1861, and arrived at Brashear City, Berwick's Bay, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 14 June, 1861. He arrived at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 16 June, 1861, and proceeded by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 17 June, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J Longstreet was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861. Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, and was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.92, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Note: Major J Longstreet, paymaster, United States Army, was appointed lieutenant colonel, infantry, Confederate States Army, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 1 May, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861.

The 1st Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General J Longstreet, by Special Orders No.169, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.100: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp543-544
Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated 28 July, 1861