The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Reserves, Army of the Potomac

Colonel R M Cary, 30th Virginia Infantry

Colonel R M Cary, 30th Virginia Infantry

Thirtieth Virginia Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Virginia, 21 July, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Manassas

COLONEL R M CARY
Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 30th Virginia Infantry, on 13 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

LIEUTENANT COLONEL A T HARRISON
A T Harrison was appointed lieutenant colonel, 30th Virginia Infantry, on 13 June, 1861.

MAJOR W S BARTON
Major W S Barton, Provisional Army of Virginia, was temporarily appointed acting assistant adjutant general and assigned to command Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, by General orders No.16, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and was appointed major, 30th Virginia Infantry, on 13 June, 1861.

Company A Fredericksburg Washington Guards: CAPT. G H Peyton
The company was accepted in state service at Fredericksburg, Virginia, under the command of Captain J W Sener, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Acquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861. Captain J W Sener, 30th Virginia Infantry, Company A, resigned on 15 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant G H Peyton, 30th Virginia Infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, 30th Virginia Infantry, Company A, the same day.
Company B Fredericksburg (Rifle) Greys: CAPT. R S Chew
The company was accepted in state service at Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Acquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861, and Captain R S Chew, 30th Virginia Infantry, Company B, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 30th Virginia Infantry, on 17 September, 1861.
Company C Gordon Rifles: CAPT. R H Alexander
The company was accepted in state service at Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.
Company D Mount Pleasant Rifles: CAPT. V M Johnson
The company was accepted in state service at Mount Pleasant, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, under the command of Captain S B Goodloe, on 30 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year, under the command of Captain V M Johnson, on 8 May, 1861.
Company E Caroline Greys: CAPT. R O Peatross
The company was accepted in state service at Bowling Green, Caroline County, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp Mercer, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the evening on 8 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861.
Company F Bowling Green Guards: CAPT. W D Quesenberry
The company was accepted in state service at Bowling Green, Caroline County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861.
Company G Chilesburg Light Infantry or Guards: CAPT. T B Coghill
The company accepted in state service at Chilesburg, Caroline County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.
Company H Sparta Greys: CAPT. J M Gouldin
The company accepted in state service at Sparta, Caroline County, Virginia, on 20 April, 1861, and was stationed at Fredericksburg Courthouse, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861.
Company I (1st) Stafford Guards: CAPT. J D Bruce
The company was accepted in state service at Stafford Courthouse, Stafford County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, by Major W H Ker, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 12 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 47th Virginia Infantry, Company I (3rd), in September 1861.
Company I (2nd) Braxton's Company: CAPT. E M Braxton
The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Stafford County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 47th Virginia Infantry, Company I (2nd), on 16 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 30th Virginia Infantry in September 1861.
Company K King George Greys: CAPT. B T Tayloe
The company was accepted in state service King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Major R C Mayo, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.
Unlettered Rough & Readys: CAPT. C J Green
The company was accepted in state service at Falmouth, Stafford County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and mustered in state service for one year on 20 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 47th Virginia Infantry, Company A, by Special Orders No.52, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861.
Unlettered Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse: CAPT. T S Garnett
The company was mustered in state service at Montrose, Westermoreland County, Virginia, by Major R M Mayo, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was stationed at Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, on 27 June, 1861. The company was ordered to Brooke's Station, Safford County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861, and was assigned as an advance guard to the 30th Virginia Infantry in the morning on 20 July, 1861. The company was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, at 3.30 PM the same day and arrived at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, via Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, at 8.30 PM on 21 July, 1861. The company was assigned to the 1st Virginia Battalion Cavalry at Brooke's Station, Safford County, Virginia, on 1 November, 1861, and to the 9th Vtrginia Cavalry, Company C, by Special Orders No.6, Headquarters, Aquia District, Brooke's Station, Safford County, Virginia, on 18 January, 1862.

Second Virginia Battalion Volunteers (Fredericksburg)

Major W S Barton

Company A Fredericksburg Washington Guards: CAPT. J W Sener
The company was organised at Fredericksburg, Virginia, in June 1858 and J W Sener was appointed captain, Fredericksburg Washington Guards, in the evening on 23 November, 1859. The company was part of the 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, under the command of Major W S Barton, on 19 July, 1860, and was assigned to the 30th Virginia Infantry, Company A, on 15 June, 1861.
Company B Fredericksburg (Rifle) Greys: CAPT. R S Chew
The company was organised at Fredericksburg, Virginia, in 1859 and was part of the 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, under the command of Major W S Barton, on 19 July, 1860. The company was assigned to the 30th Virginia Infantry, Company B, on 15 June, 1861.

Sources

"There are three well organized and efficient companies in the place, and more forming. Capt. Sener's company of Infantry has been sent to the Potomac river."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 April, 1861 - Fredericksburg

"The Caroline Greys drilled at this place yesterday, and are drilling again to-day. It is a company of finely formed and well-drilled young men, and destined, when brought into actual service, to make its mark high and to achieve bright and lasting honors. The Captain, R. O. Peatross, is a young man, but of true courage, and understands his duty well."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 26 April, 1861 - Progress of the war

"Among the companies now at this beautiful camp are the Old Richmond Light Infantry Blues, Co. E, commanded by Capt. O. Jennings Wise; Co. F, commanded by Capt. Cary; the Mount Pleasant Rifles, Capt. Johnson; Capt. R. L. Walker's Artillery, four field-pieces; the Fredericksburg Artillery, Capt. Braxton; Co. B, Fredericksburg, Capt. Chew; Co. A, Fredericksburg, Capt. Sener. The train last evening brought the Caroline Greys, Capt. Quisenberry, a fine looking and well-drilled body of men. The camp is under the command of Capt. R. Milton Cary, of Co. F."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 April, 1861 - Affairs at Camp Mercer, near Fredericksburg, May 9, 1861.

"A correspondent gives some further information of the fight at Mathias' Point, on Thursday evening last. The Sparta Guard, Capt. Goulding, and the King George Greys, Capt. Bladen Taylor, drove the Yankees off, killing a number on shore, besides Capt. Ward of the Freeborn. Our men secured a large quantity of rope, several Sharpe's rifles, a fine spy-glass and a thousand sand bags."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 3 July, 1861 - The engagement at Mathias' Point

"The regiment was stationed at Aquia Creek, on the Potomac, until February 1862. When the first battle of Manassas was fought, it made a forced march to that place on Sunday, but arrived too late to take part in the action."

The University memorial: Biographical sketches of alumni of the University of Virginia who fell in the Confederate War, five volumes in one, by Rev John Lipscomb Johnson, B A

Notes

The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company H, was stationed at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861; Company D on 8 May, 1861; Companies B and F on 9 May, 1861; Company E on 11 May, 1861; Company A on 19 May, 1861; and Companies C and G on 23 May, 1861, and the 30th Virginia Infantry was organised on 12 June, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, 26 April & 8, 9, 11, 12, 19, 20, & 23 May; 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company H, was mustered in state service for one year at the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861; Company D on 8 May, 1861; Companies B and F for one year at the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861; Company E for one year on 11 May, 1861; Company I (1st) for one year Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, by Major W H Ker, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 12 May, 1861; Company A for one year at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861; Company K for one year at King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia, by Major R C Mayo, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 May, 1861; and Companies C and G at the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.

Fredericksburg, Virginia, Companies A & B, 22 & 25 April, 1861: The Fredericksburg Washington Guards, 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company A, and the Fredericksburg Rifle Greys, 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company B, under the command of Major W S Barton; and the Purcell Artillery were stationed at Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and the 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), the Sparta Greys, and the Caroline Light Dragoons on 25 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), and the Sparta Greys were stationed at Fredericksburg Courthouse, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

Fredericksburg, Virginia, to Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River & Aquia Creek, Company A, 22 April, 1861: The Fredericksburg Washington Guards and Fredericksburg Rifle Greys were ordered to Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The Fredericksburg Washington Guards, 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, Company A, was assigned to Battery No.1, at Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, during the skirmish between 31 May and 1 June, 1861.

Fredericksburg to Port Conway, on the Rappahannock River, King George County, Virginia, Company H, 26 April, 1861: The Sparta Greys was ordered to Port Conway, on the Rappahannock River, King George County, Virginia, by General Orders No.4, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 26 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Madison, near Port Conway, on the Rappahannock River, King George County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861.

Note: The Sparta Greys was formerly assigned to the 30th Virginia Militia Infantry (Caroline County).

Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, 27 April, 1861: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st), the Purcell Artillery, and the Caroline Light Dragoons were stationed at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

Fredericksburg, Virginia, Companies B, D, & E, 8 May, 1861: The Fredericksburg Rifle Greys, Company B, 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers; the Fredericksburg Artillery; the Mount Pleasant Rifles; the 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies E (1st) and F (1st); and the Purcell Artillery were stationed at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, under the command of Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), on 8 May, 1861, and the Caroline Greys arrived by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: Captain R M Cary, 1st Virginia Infantry, Company F (1st), was appointed lieutenant colonel, Confederate States Army, on 13 May, 1861, and was assigned to command between Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the Potomac River, including Camp Mercer, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R M Cary was assigned to command five companies of the 1st Arkansas Infantry and the 2nd Tennessee Infantry on 3 June, 1861 (See the 1st Arkansas Infantry).

Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River & Aquia Creek, Company I (1st), 22 May, 1861: The Stafford Guards was assigned to guard duty at the naval batteries at Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, under the command of Captain W F Lynch, Confederate States Navy, by General Orders No.13, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861 (See the 2nd Tennessee Infantry).

Note: Lieutenant Colonel R M Cary was assigned to organise the Fredericksburg Washington Guards, the Fredericksburg Rifle Greys, the Gordon Rifles, the Mount Pleasant Rifles, the Caroline Greys, the Bowling Green Guards, the Chilesburg Guards, as a battalion by General Orders No.16, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861.

Fredericksburg to Port Conway, on the Rappahannock River, King George County, Virginia, Company H, 23 May, 1861: The Sparta Greys was ordered to King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia, by General Orders No.13, Paragraph VIII, Headquarters, Department of Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and proceeded on 23 May, 1861.

Note: The Sparta Greys, the King George Greys, and the Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse were stationed at King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia, under the command of Major R M Mayo, on 23 May, 1861.

Distribution, Companies A, B, E, G, H, I (1st), & K, 26-29 May, 1861: The Fredericksburg Washington Guards, the Fredericksburg Rifle Greys, the Caroline Greys, and the Chilesburg Guards were stationed at Camp Mercer, the Fairgrounds, near Fredericksburg, Virginia; the Sparta Greys and the King George Greys at King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia; and the Stafford Guards at Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, between 26 and 29 May, 1861

Mattox Bridge, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 30 May, 1861: The Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse were stationed at Mattox Bridge, Westmoreland County, Virginia, under the command of Major R M Mayo, on 30 May, 1861.

King George Courthouse, King George County, Virginia, to Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, Company H, 7 & 10 June, 1861: The Sparta Greys was ordered to St Pauls Church, King George County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and proceeded to Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, on 10 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Brent’s or Symmes' Point, opposite Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, Company C, 19 June, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company C, was ordered to Brent’s or Symmes' Point, opposite Aquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, in the evening on 19 June, 1861.

Skirmish at Marthias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, Companies H & K, 27 June, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Companies H and K, and the Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse were engaged in a skirmish at Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, on 27 June, 1861.

Note: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company H, under the command of First Lieutenant W M Saunders, and the Westmoreland Cavalry, acting as infantry, under the command of First Lieutenant R L T Beale, were engaged in a skirmish at Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, on 27 June, 1861.

Hedgman's Farm, near Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek, Company C, 10 July, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company C, was ordered to Hedgman's Farm, near Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek, on 10 July, 1861.

Distribution, 17 July, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Companies H and K, were stationed at Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River; Company F at Pratt's Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek; Companies A, B, D, E, F, and G at Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek; Company C at Hedgman's Farm, near Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek; and Company I (1st) at Battery No.1, Acquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, on 17 July, 1861.

Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, to Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River & Potomac Creek, 19 July, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Companies H and K, arrived at Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek, on 19 July, 1861.

Note: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company I (1st), was stationed at Battery No.1, Acquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, between 20 and 25 July, 1861.

Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River & Potomac Creek, to Manassas Junction, Virginia, 20-21 July, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Special Orders No.224, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and proceeded at 3.30 PM on 20 July, 1861. The regiment was accompanied by the Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse and arrived at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, at 8.30 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 40th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Colonel J M Brokenbrough, arrived at Mathias Point, overlooking the Potomac River, opposite the Port Tobacco River, in the afternoon on 20 July, 1861, and Colonel D Ruggles was temporarily assigned to command the Department of Fredericksburg between 19 and 23 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the 30th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.147, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and proceeded at 12 PM on 23 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Camp Wigfall, on McLean's Farm, near the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, the same day and was ordered to Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 July, 1861. The 30th Virginia Infantry arrived at Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 25 July, 1861.

Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, to Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River & Potomac Creek, 28 July, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Marlboro Point, overlooking the Potomac River and Potomac Creek, on 28 July, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The 30th Virginia Infantry, Company I (1st), was stationed at Battery No.1, Acquia Creek Landing, overlooking the Potomac River and Aquia Creek, on 28 July, 1861.

Reorganised, 15, 16 & 18 April, 1861: The 30th Virginia Infantry was reorganised on 15, 16 and 18 April, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 30th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Major General G E Pickett, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Westmoreland Cavalry or Lee's Light Horse: The Westmoreland Cavalry was stationed at Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, under the command of Major RM Mayo, and was ordered to Mathias Point, King George County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861. Captain T S Garnett was to ill for duty and First Lieutenant R L T Beale was assigned to command the company during the skirmish at Mathias Point, King George County, Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, in July 1861 and was temporarily assigned to the 30th Virginia Infantry at Aquia Creek, Stafford County, Virginia, on 20 July, 1861. The Westmoreland Cavalry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Brigadier General T H Holmes the same day and was accompanied by the 30th Virginia Infantry. The company arrived near Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Virginia, at 9 PM on 21 July, 1861, and was ordered to Brooke's Station, Stafford County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861.

Brigadier General D Ruggles, Department of Fredricksburg, 22 April-5 June, 1861: Brevet Lieutenant Colonel D Ruggles, 5th United States Infantry, resigned on 19 April, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 21 April, 1861. Brigadier General D Ruggles was assigned to command the Department of Fredericksburg including the Potomac River between Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, Virginia, and the Rappahannock River between 22 April and 5 June, 1861. He was appointed brigadier general, Confederates States Army, on 9 August, 1861, and was ordered to Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, by Special orders No.130, Paragraph XII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 21 August, 1861.

Brigadier General T H Holmes, Department of Fredricksburg, 5 June, 1861: T H Holmes was appointed colonel, Confederate States Army, on 20 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and was ordered to Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, by Special Orders No.32, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 22 April, 1861. Colonel T H Holmes was stationed at Smithville, Brunswick County, North Carolina, on 6 May, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 5 June, 1861. Brigadier General T H Holmes was ordered to Fredericksburg, Virginia, by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on the same day.

Note: The Department of Fredericksburg, under the command of Brigadier General T H Holmes, was reorganised as the Aquia District, Department of Northern Virginia, on 22 October, 1861.