The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Fifth Division

Colonel A Von Steinwehr, 29th New York Infantry

Colonel A Von Steinwehr, 29th New York Infantry

Twenty-ninth New York Infantry

Mustered in United States service for two years 4 and 6 June, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 22 June, 1861. Not engaged in the first battle of Bull Run

COLONEL A VON STEINWEHR
A Von Steinwehr was appointed colonel, 29th New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL C SOEST
Captain C Soest, Company F, was mustered in United States service as lieutenant colonel, 29th New York Infantry, on 6 June, 1861, appointed lieutenant colonel on 20 June, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861.

MAJOR L W P WAINWRIGHT
L Livingston was appointed major, 29th New York Infantry, on 20 June, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861, and resigned on 2 June, 1861. W P Wainwright mustered in United States service as major, 29th New York Infantry, on 9 August, 1861, and was appointed major, on 7 January, 1862, dated 17 June, 1861.

Company A: CAPT. W WARnecKE
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, under the command of Captain A H Sas, on 7 May, 1861, and Captain A H Sas was dismissed by the United States Medical Inspector on 30 May, 1861. First Lieutenant W Warnecke, 29th New York Infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company A, on 4 July, 1861, dated 31 May, 1861, and was discharged on 10 September, 1861.
Company B: CAPT. C WEINHOLD
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 12 May, 1861, and C Weinhold was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company B, on 4 July, 1861, dated 13 May, 1861.
Company C: CAPT. G SEYDEL
The company was accepted at New York City, New York County, New York, on 9 May, 1861, and G Seydel was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company C, on 4 July, 1861, dated 13 May, 1861. Captain G Seydel, 29th New York Infantry, Company C, resigned on 24 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant J O Gitterman, 29th New York Infantry, Company C, on 2 October, 1862, dated 2 August, 1861.
Company D: CAPT. G MEISER
The company was accepted at New York City, New York County, New York, on 15 May, 1861, G Meiser was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company D, on 4 July, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861.
Company E: CAPT. H VON NOSTITZ
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 15 May, 1861, and H Von Nostitz was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company E, on 4 July, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861.
Company F: CAPT. C BERNE
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, under the command of Captain C Soest, on 15 May, 1861, and Captain C Soest, 29th New York Infantry, Company F, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 29th New York Infantry, on 23 May, 1861. First Lieutenant C Berne, 29th New York Infantry, Company G, was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company F, on 4 July, 1861, dated 2 June, 1861.
Company G: CAPT. U GULLMAN
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 16 May, 1861, and U Gullman was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company G, on 4 July, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861.
Company H: CAPT. C BOOKWOOD
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 17 May, 1861, and C Bookwood was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company H, on 4 July, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861. Captain C Bookwood, 29th New York Infantry, Company H, was assigned to Bookwood's Independent Light Artillery in the morning on 21 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant O Von Meusel, 29th New York Infantry, Company I, was appointed captain 29th New York Infantry, Company H, on 2 August, 1861 (See Bookwood's Independent Light Artillery).
Company I: CAPT. A ECKEL
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 18 May, 1861, and A Eckel was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company I, on 4 July, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861. Captain A Eckel, 29th New York Infantry, Company I, resigned on 28 August, 1861.
Company K: CAPT. A PRAHL
The company was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 21 May, 1861, and A Prahl was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company K, on 4 July, 1861, dated 21 May, 1861. Captain A Prahl, 29th New York Infantry, Company K, was discharged on 31 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant O Von Francois, 29th New York Infantry, Company E, was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Company K, on 9 August, 1861.
Drum Corps: Drum Maj. H Hansen
Independent Company: CAPT. J SCHOENINGER
The company was organised with the three years' men of the 29th New York Infantry on 2 June, 1863, and First Lieutenant & Quartermaster J Schoeninger was appointed captain, 29th New York Infantry, Independent Company, on 29 June, 1863, dated 8 June, 1863. The company was disbanded and the men assigned to the 68th New York Infantry on 19 April, 1864.

Sources

"This is a regiment of Germans, under command of Col. von Steinwehr, numbering 790 men, who are quartered in a beautiful wooded inclosure known as Conrad's Elm Park."

The New York Daily Tribune, 4 June, 1861 - Twenty-ninth regiment

"The fine body of men, numbering 780 rank and file, arrived here at 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, having left their camp in New York city on the evening before. They are in regular United States unform, dark blue jacket and cap, light blueish grey overcoat."

The National Republican, 24 June, 1861 - Arrival of the New York twenty-ninth regiment

Books/ Manuscripts

Third Annual Assembly of the Bureau of Military Record, State of New York, transmitted to the legislature, Albany, 2 February, 1866: Historical sketches of the first thirty-eight regiments New York Volunteer Infantry, pp207-213

New York in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865, Volume 3, by Frederick Phisterer.

Notes

The 29th New York Infantry was accepted in state service for two years on 18 May, 1861, and was organised at New York City, New York County, New York, on 18 May, 1861.

Accepted in state service, New York City, New York County, New York, 7-21 May, 1861: The 29th New York Infanty, Company A, was accepted in state service at New York City, New York County, New York, on 7 May, 1861; Company C on 9 May, 1861; Company B on 12 May, 1861; Companies D, E, and F, on 15 May, 1861; Company G on 16 May, 1861; Company H on 17 May, 1861; Company I on 18 May, 1861; and Company K on 21 May, 1861.

Note: The 29th New York Infantry was stationed at Camp Jones' Wood, Jones' Wood, between Sixty-sixth and Sixty-ninth Streets and First Avenue and East River, New York City, New York County, New York, on 15 May, 1861.

Jones' Wood, between Sixty-sixth & Sixty-ninth Streets and First Avenue & East River, New York City, to Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth & Ninety-fourth Streets & Bloomingdale Road, New York County, New York, 18 May, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered to Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth and Ninety-fourth Streets and Bloomingdale Road, New York City, New York County, New York, on 18 May, 1861.

Mustered in two years, Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth & Ninety-fourth Streets & Bloomingdale Road, New York City, New York County, New York, 4 & 6 June, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry, Companies A, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and K, were mustered in United States service for two years at Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth and Ninety-fourth Streets and Bloomingdale Road, New York City, New York County, New York, by Captain S B Hayman, 7th United States Infantry, Company B, on 4 June, 1861, and Company B on 6 June, 1861.

Note: The 29th New York Infantry was stationed at Bellevue Garden, on Eighteenth Street and East River, New York City, New York County, New York, on 17 June, 1861.

Conrad's Elm Park, between Ninetieth & Ninety-fourth Streets & Bloomingdale Road, New York City, New York County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 21-22 June, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry (780) was ordered to proceed by the ferry Colden on the North or Hudson River at Jersey City Ferry Terminal, Courtlandt Street, New York City, New York County, New York, to Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, at 5 PM on 21 June, 1861, and proceeded by the New Jersey Railroad to Washington, D. C., the same day. The regiment arrived by ferry at Washington Street Wharf, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, via Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, at 12 AM on 22 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad to Baltimore City, Maryland, at 2.30 AM the same day. The 29th New York Infantry arrived at President Street Station, at the intersection of President Street and Canton Avenue, , Baltimore City, Maryland, at 8.30 AM on 22 June, 1861, and by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at Washington, D. C., via Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 2 PM the same day.

Washington to woods in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., 2 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was stationed at Camp Dorsheimer, in woods in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., in the evening on 2 July, 1861.

Special Orders No.169, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., 3 July, 1861: The 8th New York Infantry, the 29th New York Infantry, and the 39th New York Infantry were assigned to Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry, by Special Orders No.169, Headquarters, Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., on 3 July, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Woods in the vicinity of Glenwood Cemetery, east of Seventh Street Turnpike, D. C., to Summer Hill, north of Abingdon House or B W Hunter's Farm, a quarter of a mile east of the Alexandria & Washington Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 9 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., to Summer Hill, north of Abingdon House or B W Hunter's Farm, a quarter of a mile east of the Alexandria & Washington Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861.

Note: Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry, set up headquarters First (German) Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, at Abingdon House or B W Hunter's Farm, a quarter of a mile east of the Alexandria & Washington Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Summer Hill, north of Abingdon House or B W Hunter's Farm, a quarter of a mile east of the Alexandria & Washington Turnpike, Alexandria County, to F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road & Accotink Turnpike, one & a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 13 July, 1861, dated 12 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria & Washington Turnpike to F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 6.30 AM on 13 July, 1861, dated 12 July, 1861.

Disposition of the First Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: Headquarters, First Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry, F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Virginia; 8th New York Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel J Stahel, F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Virginia; 29th New York Infantry, Colonel A Von Steinwehr, F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Virginia; 39th New York Infantry, Colonel F G D'Utassy, F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Virginia; 27th Pennsylvania Infantry, Colonel M Einstein, F Johnson's Farm, between the old Telegraph Road and Accotink Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Alexandria, Virginia

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Little River Turnpike to Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived in the vicinity of W Garges sawmill, one mile east of Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11.30 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the old Braddock Road to W Farr's Crossroads, one and a quarter miles south of Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived at 1.30 PM the same day. The 29th New York Infantry was ordered proceed by the old Braddock Road to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Little Rocky Run, south of the old Braddock Road, one mile southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

Note: Varian's Light Artillery was ordered to return the six 6 pounder smoothbores to the United States Ordnance Department at 10 PM on 20 July, 1861, and proceeded to Washington, D. C., at 1 AM on 21 July, 1861, (See Varian's Light Artillery). The six 6 pounder smoothbores were assigned to a detachment of the 29th New York Infantry, Company H, and the 8th New York Infantry, under the command of Captain C Bookwood, 29th New York Infantry, Company H, and was designated Bookwood's Independent Light Artillery in the morning on 21 July, 1861 (See Bookwood's Independent Light Artillery).

South of the road between Centreville & Fairfax Courthouse, on the heights east of Centreville, & the road between Centreville & Union Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: Six companies of the 29th New York Infantry were stationed south of the road between Centreville and Fairfax Courthouse, on the heights east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, and four companies on the road between Centreville and Union Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered to the Warrenton Turnpike, half a mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and to Washington, D. C., at 12 AM on 22 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Washington, D. C., via Fairfax Courthouse and Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day.

Note: The 8th New York Infantry was stationed on the Warrenton Turnpike, one and a half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, and the 39th New York Infantry as a reserve at the rear of the 29th New York Infantry in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861. The 29th New York Infantry was stationed at the Caspari House, in the vicinity of the Capitol building, between East Capitol and First Streets, Washington, D. C., on 23 July, 1861.

Casparis' House, on South A Street, Capitol Hill, east of the Capitol building, between East Capitol & First Streets, Washington, D. C., to Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, 26 July, 1861: The 29th New York Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., to Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 26 July, 1861, dated 24 July, 1861.

Mustered out, New York City, New York County, New York, 20 June, 1863: The three years' men of the 29th New York Infantry were organised as the 29th New York Infantry, Independent Company, under the command of Captain J Schoeninger, on 2 June, 1863, and the 29th New York Infantry was mustered out at New York City, New York County, New York, on 20 June, 1863.

Note: The 29th New York Infantry, Independent Company, was assigned to the 68th New York Infantry on April 19, 1864.

Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army: Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was stationed at Fort Kearney, on the Platte River, Nebraska Territory, on 14 April, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, on 15 April, 1861. He was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies E and F, and arrived at Fort Leavenworth, on the Missouri River, four miles north of Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, in the afternoon on 29 April, 1861. Colonel D S Miles was ordered to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on 22 May, 1861, dated 4 May, 1861, and arrived on 29 May, 1861. He arrived at Camp Brady or Miles, in the vicinity of M Harchelford's Farm, on the Franklin Railroad, two miles southwest of Chambersburg, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, in the morning on 8 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Company K. Colonel D S Miles, 2nd United States Infantry, was ordered to proceed by the Cumberland Valley Railroad to Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 2nd United States Infantry, Companies C and K; the 3rd United States Infantry, Companies B, D, G, H, and K; and the 8th United States Infantry, Company G. He arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland, and Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 1 AM on 20 June, 1861.

Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry, First Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army: L Blenker was appointed colonel, 8th New York Infantry, on 31 May, 1861, and brigadier general of volunteers by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 9 August, 1861.

Organisation of Colonel Blenker's brigade, Division of the Potomac, 4 August, 1861: Colonel L Blenker, 8th New York Infantry; 8th New York Infantry, 29th New York Infantry, 39th New York Infantry, 27th Pennsylvania Infantry

Note: The 29th New York Infantry was assigned to Colonel L Blenker's brigade, Division of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.57: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp426-428
Colonel L Blenker, First Brigade, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, dated Roach’s Mills (old cotton factory), Alexandria County, Virginia, 4 August, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.56: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp422-426
Colonel D S Miles, Second United States Infantry, Fifth Division, McDowell's Army, dated 17 July, 1861; Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 July, 1861; in the vicinity of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861