The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Militia, Fourth (Reserve) Division

Third New Jersey Militia

Mustered in United States service for three months 27 April, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 6 May, 1861. Not engaged in the first battle of Bull Run

COLONEL W NAPTON
W Napton was appointed colonel, 3rd New Jersey Militia, on 27 April, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL S MOORE
S Moore was appointed lieutenant colonel, 3rd New Jersey Militia, on 27 April, 1861.

MAJOR J S YARD
J S Yard was appointed major, 3rd New Jersey Militia, on 27 April, 1861.

Company A Olden Guards: CAPT. J A YARD
The company was accepted in state service at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861.
Company B Clark Guards: CAPT. D PIERSON
The company was accepted in state service at Rahway, Middlesex sCounty, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon son 22 April, 1861.
Company C Wilkinson Guards: CAPT. I P LYKENS
The company was accepted in state service at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861.
Company D Jersey Blues: CAPT. S MULFORD
The company was accepted in state service at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861.
Company E Independent Rifles: CAPT. A W ANGEL
The company was accepted in state service at Lambertville, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, at 1 PM on 25 April, 1861.
Company F Ocean Guards, Monmouth Brigade: CAPT. J H SMITH
The company was accepted in state service at Ocean (Township), Monmouth County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.
Company G Monmouth Blues, Monmouth Brigade: CAPT. V W MOUNT
The company was accepted in state service at Monmouth County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.
Company H Flemington Guards or Hunterdon Volunteers: CAPT. G A ALLEN
The company was accepted in state service at Flemington, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, on 21 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.
Company I Lambertville Fencibles, Hunterdon Brigade: CAPT. S R HOUSLETON
The company was accepted in state service at Lambertville, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.
Company K National Rifles: CAPT. C W CASTNER
The company was accepted in state service at New Brunswick, Middlesex County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.

Sources

"The city of Trenton is to be the grand rendezvous of all the troops of New Jersey. Several companies are already on their way there, and Col. Napton is now busily engaged in preparing quarters for those who have advised him of their approach to the city. Captain Yard's Company will be full on Monday and ready for muster."

The Newark Daily Advertiser, 20 April, 1861 - The rendezvous at Trenton

"The volunteer company was organised under the name of the 'Clark Guards,' (named in honor of Abraham Clark, a native of Rahway, who signed the declaration of independence), and as full quota of men was at once obtained. David Pierson, the Captain, served in a like position during the Mexixan war. The volunteer company, by order of the Governor, were transfered the 3d division, and yesterday afternoon they left for Trenton. They numbered one hundred."

The Newark Daily Advertiser, 23 April, 1861 - Departure of a company

"The Independent Rifles, of Lambertville, numbering eighty men, Capt. A. W. Angel commanding, accompanied by carpenter's Cornet Band of the same place, arrived yesterday about one o'clock. They carried in their ranks a fine American flag. The Lambertville Fencibles are expected in a day or two."

The Trenton State Gazette, 26 April, 1861

"The 'Wilkinson Guards,' Capt. Lykins commanding, paid a visit to the west end of State street on Saturday evening, where they were received with the honors due their gallantry. This Company, though hastily got together, already show considerable proficiency in drill, and will doubtless give a good account of themselves when brought upon the field of battle."

The Trenton State Gazette, 29 April, 1861

"The following additional companies arrived on Saturday: Marion Rifles, Burlington, Capt. George C. Burling; Ocean Guard, Capt. J. H. Smith; Monmouth Blues, Capt. V. W Mount; Hunterdon Volunteers, Capt. G. A. Allen; Lambertville Fencibles, Capt. S. H. Huselton; National Rifles, New Brunswick, Capt. Wyckoff Costner; Garibaldi Guards, Philipsburgh, Capt. Valentine Mitchell. The last named company were attired in red shirts with a tri-coloured sash around the waist."

The Trenton State Gazette, 29 April, 1861

"The first, second, and third New Jersey regiments reached here yesterday morning in two different trains, the first about two o'clock, and the second about eight."

The National Republican, 7 May, 1861 - Arrival of New Jersey troops

"Immediately upon the establishment of the lines on the 24th, details from all regiments were put to work in constructing entrenchments and redoubts, and it is among the chief honors of this brigade that the first regular work constructed by the national troops at the beginning of the war, and the first over which the nation's flag was flung out, was completed by the brawny arms of Jersymen, many of whom worked with unflagging vigor and industry with tools at their command. During the whole period of the war, these works stood as monuments of the muscular activity and vigor of our volunteers; and it was only just that the principal forification, having been built exclusively by Jerseymen, should be named, as it was, Fort Runyon, and so known ever after."

"Seventeen guns have been mounted at the fortifications, and several more are on the ground."

New Jersey and the Rebellion: A history of the service of the troops and people of New Jersey in aid of the Union cause, by John Young Foster

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 40, Serial No.52: Record of events for Third New Jersey Infantry (Three Months), April-July 1861, edited by James B Hewett

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 3, New Jersey, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan

Notes

The 3rd New Jersey Militia (Mercer County) was accepted in state service on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 3 May, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Organisation of the New Jersey Brigade (3,075), 30 April 1861: Brigadier General T Runyon, Brigade Inspector & Major A V Bonnell, Captain J B Mulligan, aide to Brigadier General T Runyon; 1st New Jersey Militia (773), Colonel H M Baker; 2nd New Jersey Militia (745), Colonel A J Johnson; 3rd New Jersey Militia (780), Colonel W Napton; 4th New Jersey Militia (777), Colonel M Miller, Jr.

Rahway, Middlesex County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Company B, 22 April, 1861: The Clark Guards (100) arrived by the Trenton & New Brunkswick Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 22 April, 1861.

Lambertville, Hunterdon County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Company E, 25 April, 1861: The Independent Rifles (80) arrived by the Belvidere & Delaware Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, at 1 PM on 25 April, 1861, and was accompanied by Carpenter's (Lambertville) Cornet Band.

Ocean (Township), Monmouth County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Companies F & G, 27 April, 1861: The Ocean Guards and the Monmouth Blues arrived by the Belvidere & Delaware Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.

Flemington & Lambertville, Hunterdon County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Companies H & I, 27 April, 1861: The Flemington Guards or Hunterdon Volunteers and the Lambertville Fencibles arrived by the Belvidere & Delaware Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.

New Brunswick, Middlesex County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Company F, 27 April, 1861: The National Rifles arrived by the Trenton & New Brunswick Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 27 April, 1861.

Mustered in three months, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 22, 23, 24, 25, & 27 April, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia Company B, was mustered in United States service for three months at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, by Major T T S Laidley, 5th United States Infantry, and First Lieutenant A T A Torbert, 5th United States Infantry, Company D, on 22 April, 1861; Companies A and C on 23 April, 1861; Company D on 24 April, 1861; Company E on 25 April, 1861; and Companies F, G, H, I, and K on 27 April, 1861.

Note: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was stationed at Camp Olden, on Sandtown Road, two and a half miles east of the Rolling Mill of Trenton Iron Co. and J Shepherd Union Print works, between Federal and Streets, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 2 May, 1861.

Sandtown Road, two & a half miles east of the Rolling Mill of Trenton Iron Co. & J Shepherd Union Print works, between Federal & Streets, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, to Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 3-4 May, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia (780) was ordered to proceed by steamers on the Delaware & Raritan Canal to Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 3 May, 1861, and arrived on the Delaware River at Delaware City, New Castle County, Delaware, via Bordentown, Burlington County, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 4 May, 1861, and arrived by the Delaware & Chesapeake Canal and Chesapeake Bay at 4 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st New Jersey Militia, 2nd New Jersey Militia, 3rd New Jersey Militia, and 4th New Jersey Militia were ordered to proceed by the steamers W Woodward, Fannie Cadwalader, Delaware, Franklin, J B Mollison, Eureka, Fanny Garner, Octorata, Raritan, Trenton, Patroon, F W Brune and Elizabeth Turner, to Washington, D. C., under the command of Captain R F Loper, United States Navy, between 1 and 3 May, 1861.

Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 5-6 May, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia disembarked at Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, in the morning on 5 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad to Washington, D. C., in the evening on 5 May, 1861. The regiment arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 8 AM on 6 May, 1861.

Note: A company of the 3rd New Jersey Militia was ordered to proceed by the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad to Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 4th New Jersey Militia (See the 4th New Jersey Militia). The company arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at Washington, D. C., at 9.30 PM the same day.

New Colonisation Society building, on the corner of Four & a half Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., 6 May, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was stationed at the new Colonisation Society building, on the corner of Four and a half Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861.

New Colonisation Society building, on the corner of Four & a half Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, to Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., 9 May, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia arrived at Camp Monmouth, on Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., on 9 May, 1861.

Occupation of Arlington Heights, ALexandria County, & Alexandria, 24 May, 1861

The 3rd New Jersey Militia was ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, at 2 AM on 24 May, 1861, and arrived at Abingdon House or B W Hunter's Farm, Gravelly Point, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day (See the Occupation of Arlington Heights and Alexandria).

Centre Column, Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., Arlington Heights & Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: Major & Assistant Adjutant General S P Heintzelmen, 1st United States Infantry; 7th New York State Militia, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H, Colonel M Lefferts; 12th New York State Militia, Colonel D Butterfield; 25th New York State Militia, Colonel M K Bryan; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Captain H M Baker; 3rd New Jersey Militia, Colonel W Napton, 4th New Jersey Militia, Captain M Miller, Jr.; 2nd United States Cavalry, Company I, Captain A G Brackett; section of 3rd United States Artillery, Light Company E, First Lieutenant D R Ransom

Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia & the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: Detachments of the 3rd New Jersey Militia, were assigned to build Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the supervision of Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, at 6 AM on 24 May, 1861 (See the United States Corps Engineers).

Note: Major J G Barnard, Captains B S Alexander and C E Blunt, First Lieutenants F E Prime and D C Houston, Second Lieutenants H M Robert, United States Corps Engineers, and detachments of the 7th New York State Militia, the 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, the 3rd New Jersey Militia, and the 4th New Jersey Militia were stationed at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, 27 May, 1861.

Abingdon or B W Hunter's Farm, Gravelly Point, to Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia arrived at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Columbia Springs to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia arrived at Camp Trenton, on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, on 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st New Jersey Militia (See the 1st New Jersey Militia).

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was assigned to the Fourth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Disposition of the New Jersey Militia, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: 1st New Jersey Militia, Colonel A J Johnson, Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, H, Colonel H M Baker, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies D, E, I, and K, Lieutenant Colonel A Speer, Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, between Laurel and Bladensburg, Prince George's County, Maryland; 3rd New Jersey Militia, Colonel W Napton, Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 4th New Jersey Militia, Colonel M Miller, Jr., Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia

Note: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and assumed command of all the troops not on the march to the front, including those within the various fortifications and camps on 18 July, 1861.

Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 18-20 July, 1861: A detachment of the 3rd New Jersey Militia (200), under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S Moore, was ordered to guard a provision train to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4.45 PM the same day. The detachment of the 3rd New Jersey Militia was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at 8 AM the same day. The detachment of the 3rd New Jersey Militia was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at 6 AM on 20 July, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant & Acting Commissary of Subsistence G Bell, 1st United States Artillery, Company A, was appointed captain and commissary of subsistence, United States Subsistence Department, by General Orders No.64, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 3 August, 1861.

Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: A detachment of the 3rd New Jersey Militia was stationed at Camp Trenton, on the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, in the vicinity of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 24-26 July, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 24 July, 1861, and arrived Companies C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and K by the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, at 2 PM on 26 July, 1861.

Note: The 3rd New Jersey Militia, Companies A and B, arrived by the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, at 4.30 PM on 24 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 30 July, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was mustered out at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, by First Lieutenant A T A Torbert, 5th United States Infantry, Company D, on 31 July, 1861.

Note: The 3rd New Jersey Militia, Companies A and B, arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 24 July, 1861.

Reserves, defenses of Washington, D. C., 21 July, 1861: The 3rd New Jersey Militia was assigned to the defenses of Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, during and immediately after the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph III, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 30 July, 1861.