The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Major J B Walton, acting chief of artillery, Washington Battalion Artillery

Major & Acting Chief of Artillery, J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery

Washington Battalion Artillery

Mustered in Confederate service for one year 26 May, 1861. First and Second Companies arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 25 June, 1861, and Third and Fourth Companies 8 July, 1861. Stationed at Union Mills, McLean's, and Blackburn's Fords, on the Bull Run River, and in the vicinity of McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

MAJOR J B WALTON
J B Walton was appointed captain, Washington Artillery, at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 24 January, 1861, and was appointed major, Washington Battalion Artillery, on 3 May, 1861. Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, was assigned to command the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, on 20 July, 1861.

First Company: CAPTAIN H M ISAACSON, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company
Captain H M Isaacson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was not present for duty on 18 and 21 July, 1861, and resigned at Camp Louisiana, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 14 July, 1861. His resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.125, Paragraph XIV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 August, 1861.
Section: FIRST LT. C W SQUIRES, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company
First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was appointed captain, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, by Order No.34, Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 September, 1861, dated 27 September, 1861.

Three 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841

Section: FIRST LT. J B RICHARDSON, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company

Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles

Assignment: Army of the Potomac

Note: First Lieutenant J B Whittington, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, and two detachments of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, were assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, under the command of Major J B Walton, at at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Second Company: FIRST LIEUTENANT T L ROSSER, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company
Cadet T L Rosser, West Point Military Academy, resigned on 27 February, 1861, and was appointed first lieutenant, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 15 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861. First Lieutenant T L Rosser, artillery, Confederate States Army, was on recruiting duty at Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina, on 5 June, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.65, Paragraph VII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 June, 1861. He was temporarily appointed second lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and Second Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was appointed first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, and was assigned to command the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, at Camp Beauregard/ Bull Run, Mitchells' Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 27 June, 1861. First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was temporarily appointed captain, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, by Order No.34, Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 September, 1861, dated 27 September, 1861.
Section: FIRST LT. C C LEWIS, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company
First Lieutenant C C Lewis' resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.130, Paragraph XIII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 August, 1861.

Two 12 pounder field howitzers

Section: SECOND LT. C H SLOCOMB, Washington Battalion Artillery,2nd Company
Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, resigned on 7 November, 1861, and was appointed first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, on 6 March, 1862.

Two 12 pounder field howitzers

Assignment: Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac (See the Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, under the command of Second Lieutenant H A Battles, was assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Third Company: CAPTAIN M B MILLER, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company
Section: FIRST LT. J NORCUM, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company

Two 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841

Assignment: Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Section: Junior First LT. J J GARNETT, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company
J J Garnett was appointed second lieutenant, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 25 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and junior first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph IX, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, dated 20 June, 1861. Junio First Lieutenant J J Garnett, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was temporarily appointed first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, by Order No.34, Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 September, 1861, dated 27 September, 1861, and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, reported sick after being engaged in the skirmish of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861. He resigned at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 22 August, 1861.

6 pounder smoothbore, M1841 & 6 pounder 3 inch rifle

Assignment: Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac (See the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company under the command of First Lieutenant J Norcum, was assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant J B Whittington, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Fourth Company: CAPTAIN B F ESHLEMAN, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company
Captain B F Eshelman, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was wounded during the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

Assignment: Army of the Potomac

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, under the command of First Lieutenant J Norcum, was assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and a detachment, under the command of Second Lieutenant H A Battles, to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861. Two detachments of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, were assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, under the command of Major J B Walton, at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Fifth Company: CAPTAIN W I HODGSON
First Lieutenant W I Hodgson, 4th Company, was appointed captain, Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, on 27 June, 1861.
Section: SENIOR FIRST LT. C H SLoCOMB
Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, resigned on 7 November, 1861, and was appointed junior first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, on 6 March, 1862.

Two 12 pounder Field Howitzers

Section: JUNIOR FIRST LT. W C D WAUGHT

Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles

Section: SECOND LT. E L HEWS

Two 6 pounder Smoothbores, M1841

Note: First Lieutenant W I Hodgson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was assigned to recruiting duty at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and a detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery Reserve Corps (81) were assigned to the Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, on 27 June, 1861. The Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, under the command of Captain W I Hodgson, was mustered in Confederate service for ninety days, at Lafayette Square, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 6 March, 1862, and the Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, and four companies of the 24th Louisiana Infantry, under the command of Colonel M J Smith, were ordered to Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, on 8 March, 1862. The Washington Battalion Artillery, 5th Company, arrived at Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, on 31 March, 1861, and was assigned to Brigadier General P Anderson's Brigade, Second Corps, Army of Mississippi, on 1 April, 1862.

Sixth Company: CAPTAIN H Doane
The Washington Battalion Artillery, 6th Company, under the command of Captain H Doane, was organised at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 3 April, 1862.

Organistion of Washington Battalion Artillery at first battle of Manassas, 21 July, 1861: Major J B Walton; 1st Company, Captain H M Isaacson*; 2nd Company, First Lieutenant T L Rosser; 3rd Company, Captain M B Miller; 4th Company, Captain B P Eshleman*; Band Leader J V Gessner

*Not present at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861

Louisiana Foot Rifles, First Company

Siege Of Fort Pickens, 22 April-14 September, 1861

The Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, under the command of Captain H St Paul, was mustered in Confederate service for the siege of Fort Pickens at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by Captain J M Galt, Commissary of Subsistence, Confederate States Army, at 10 AM on 22 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, at 3 PM the same day. The company was accompanied by the Shreveport Greys and arrived by the Alabama & Florida Railroad at Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, via Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the morning on 26 April, 1861. The Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, was ordered to East Pass, at the east end of Santa Rosa Island, Florida, under the command of Major W L Salisbury, 5th Georgia Infantry, on 17 June, 1861, and was ordered to the Warrington Navy Yard, east of Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, on 3 July, 1861.

Organisation of Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, 22 April, 1861: Captain H St Paul, First Lieutenant E Macoin, Second Lieutenant E Legendre

Note: The Shreveport Greys (121), under the command of Captain J H Beard, arrived by the steamer Louis D'Or on the Mississippi River at Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 19 April, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year on 20 April, 1861. The Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company (83), and the Shreveport Greys were assigned to Major C M Bradford, 1st Louisiana Infantry, at Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, on 26 April, 1861.

Seventh Louisiana Battalion Infantry (St Paul's Battalion Foot Rifles/ Washington Battalion infantry)

ACTING MAJOR & CAPTAIN H ST PAUL
Captain H St Paul, Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, was appointed acting major and captain, 7th Louisiana Battalion Infantry, on 1 October, 1861.

Company A Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company: Acting Captain & First Lt. E Macoin
The company was stationed at Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, on 13 September, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Alabama & Florida Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 September, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 September, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 September, 1861. The company was assigned to the 7th Louisiana Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain H St Paul, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861.
Company B Catahoula Guerrillas: CAPT. J W BUHOUP
The company was assigned to the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry, Company D, on 10 June, 1861, and to the 7th Louisiana Battalion Infantry, under the command of Major & Acting Captain H St Paul, Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, on 1 November, 1861, dated 1 October, 1861 (See the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry).
Company C Crescent Blues, Company B: CAPT. Mcg C Goodwyn
The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 8 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861. The company was assigned to Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain F B Schaeffer, Beauregard Rifles, by Special Orders No.94, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861, and to the 49th Virginia Infantry by Special Orders No.124, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861. The company was assigned to the 7th Louisiana Battalion infantry, under the command of Acting Major & Captain H St Paul, Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861 (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry).

The 7th Louisiana Battalion infantry was organised at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Louisiana Zouaves Battalion Infantry, Companies E (2nd), G, and H, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel G A G Coppens, on 31 May, 1862. The 1st Louisiana Zouaves Battalion Infantry, Companies G and H, were assigned to the 3rd Louisiana Battalion Infantry on 27 June, 1862, and to the 15th Louisiana Infantry, Companies I and K, respectively, under the command of Colonel E Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 25 July, 1862.

Note: The Louisiana Foot Rifles (74), 1st Company, was stationed at Camp Chasseurs, in the vicinity of Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 5 and 14 October, 1861.

The 7th Louisiana Battalion infantry was assigned to the Reserve Artillery, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General C M Wilcox, Confederate states Army, by General Orders No.15, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 October, 1861.

Seizure of United States Arsenal & Barracks, Baton Rouge, 11 January, 1861

Captain J B Walton, Washington Artillery
Captain J B Walton, Washington Artillery, was ordered to seize United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, by Order No.24, Headquarters, First Brigade, First Division, Louisiana State Troops, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 9 January, 1861.

The Washington Artillery, acting as infantry, under the command of Captain J B Walton, was ordered to proceed by the steamer National to seize the United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, at 1.30/2 AM on 10 January, 1861, and was accompanied by the Orleans Cadets, the Louisiana Guards, the Crescent Rifles, the Sarsfield Guards, the Louisiana Foot Rifles, 2nd Company, and Major B Avegno, Louisiana Foot Rifles. The company arrived at Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 10 January, 1861, and disembarked in the morning on 11 January, 1861.

Steamer National: Captain J B Walton, Washington Artillery; Colonel & Acting Quarternmaster C De Choiseul, Louisiana Militia; Washington Artillery (56), Senior First Lieutenant O Voorhies; Orleans Cadets (42), Captain C D Dreux; Louisiana Guards (44), Captain S M Todd; Crescent Rifles (45), First Lieutenant W A Metcalf; Sarsfield Guards (18), Captain J O'Hara; Louisiana Foot Rifles (40), 2nd Company, Captain S Meilleur

Note: A detachment of the Washington Artillery (9), the Orleans Cadets (12), and the Sarsfield Guards (4) were ordered to proceed by the steamer Vicksburg to Baton Rouge Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, at 5 PM on 10 January, 1861.

Garrison at United States Arsenal & Barracks, on the old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, 10 January, 1861: Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin, 1st United States Artillery, Company D; 1st United States Artillery, Company D, First Lieutenant A P Hill; United States Ordnance Department, detachment, First Lieutenant J W Todd

Note: Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin, 1st United States Artillery, surrendered the United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, to Governor A B Moore, State of Louisiana, at 5 PM on 10 January, 1861.

Evacuation of the United States Arsenal & Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, 12 January, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company D, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin, was ordered to evacuate the United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 12 January, 1861, and to proceed by the steamer Marengo on the Mississippi River to Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, in the morning on 13 January, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Troops ordered to seize United States Arsenal & Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, 12 January, 1861: Colonel L Hébert, East Baton Rouge Regiment, Louisiana Militia; East Baton Rouge Regiment, Louisiana Militia, Pelican Rifles, Captain W F Tunnard; National Guards, Captain H A Rauhman; Creole Guards, Captain J L Fremaux; Attached detachment of Baton Rouge Louisiana Militia (250), Baton Rouge Fencibles, First Lieutenant J H Stith; Grosse Téte Rangers, Captain W L Keep; Delta Rifles, Captain H M Favrot; Carter Minutemen, Captain J W Fuqua; Captain J B Walton, Washington Artillery; Detachment of New Orleans Louisiana Militia, Washington Artillery, Senior First Lieutenant O Voorhies; Orleans Cadets, Captain C D Dreux; Louisiana Guards, Captain S M Todd; Crescent Rifles, First Lieutenant W A Metcalf; Sarsfield Guards, Captain J O'Hara; Louisiana Foot Rifles, 2nd Company, Captain S Meilleur

Note: The Baton Rouge Fencibles was mustered in Confederate service for the war as the 7th Louisiana Infantry, Company C, at Camp Moore, one mile north of Tangipahoa, St Helena/ Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, by Second Lieutenant A W Pope, 4th Louisiana Infantry, Company F, on 7 June, 1861, and the Creole Guards for the war as the 8th Louisiana Infantry, Company A, at Camp Moore, one mile north of Tangipahoa, St Helena/ Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 19 June, 1861.

United States Arsenal & Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, 14 January, 1861: The Washington Artillery arrived by the steamer National on the Mississippi River at the foot of Bienville Street, at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 9 AM on 14 January, 1861, and was accomapnied by the Orleans Cadets, the Louisiana Guards, the Crescent Rifles, the Sarsfield Guards, and the Louisiana Foot Rifles, 2nd Company

Garrison at United States Arsenal & Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, 16 January, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel F M Kent, East Baton Rouge Regiment, Louisiana Militia; 1st Louisiana State Troops, Company D, Captain H M Pierce; 1st Louisiana State Troops, Company E, Captain F H Farrar

Seizure of Forts St Philip & Jackson, 11 January, 1861

Major P E ThÉard & Capt. H St Paul
Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery, and Captain H St Paul, Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, were ordered to rendezvous at the wharf opposite Phillip Street, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 11 AM on 10 January, 1861.

The Orleans Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies; the German Yagers, 1st Company; the Lafayette Company No.2; the Chasseurs d'Orleans 1814-15; and the Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, under the command of Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Yankee to seize Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, and Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana 1 PM on 10 January, 1861.

Steamer Yankee (166): Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery; Orleans Battalion Artillery (57), 1st Company, Captains F Gomez; 2nd Company, B W Hebrard; German Yagers (23), Captain F Peters; Lafayette Guards (27), Captain C Riehner; Chasseurs d'Orleans 1814-15 (15), First Lieutenant L Houidobre; Louisiana Foot Rifles (44), 1st Company, Captain H St Paul

Seizure of Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, (44), 10 January, 1861: The Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, under the command Captain H St Paul seized Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, at 8 PM on 10 January, 1861, and was assigned to garrison duty between 10 and 16 January, 1861.

Note: Fort Keeper H Dart surrendered Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, at 8 PM on 10 January, 1861.

Seizure of Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, (122), 10 January, 1861: The Orleans Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies; the German Yagers; the Lafayette Guards, and the Chasseurs d'Orleans 1814-15, under the command of Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery, seized Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, at 9 PM on 10 January, 1861, and were assigned to garrison duty between 10 and 16 January, 1861.

Note: Sergeant H Smith, United States Ordnance, surrendered Fort Jackson, on the Mississippi River, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, to Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery, in the morning on 11 January, 1861.

Fort St Philip, on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River, & Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, 16-17 January, 1861: The Orleans Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies; the German Yagers, 1st Company; the Lafayette Company No.2; the Chasseurs d'Orleans 1814-15; and the Louisiana Foot Rifles, 1st Company, under the command of Major P E Théard, Orleans Battalion Artillery, were ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 16 January, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 17 January, 1861.

Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, and Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, and Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, 1st Louisiana State Troops, Company A, 16 January, 1861: The 1st Louisiana State Troops (105), Company A, under the command of Captain C M Bradford, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Ophelia to Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, and Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, and Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, at 6 AM on 16 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, 16-19 January, 1861: 1st Louisiana State Troops (25), Company A, First Lieutenant I Hyams

Garrison at Fort Jackson, on the west bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, 16-19 January, 1861: 1st Louisiana State Troops (80), Company A, Captain C M Bradford

Note: The 1st Louisiana State Troops, Company B, under the command of Captain J A Jaquess, arrived by the steamer Empire Parish at Fort St Philip, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, Buras, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 19 January, 1861.

Sources

"The first company of Louisiana Foot Rifles, under command of Capt. Henry St. Paul, leaves for Pensacola this afternoon, having mustered into the service, of the Confederate States. Capt. At. Paul will bring with him a fine corps."

Daily True Delta (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 23 April, 1861 - Movement of troops

"The Washington Artillery Battalion, Major J. B. Walton commanding, composed of four companies - two detailed to the battery and two as an infantry reserve - tendered their services some weeks ago, with their battery of six six-pounder bronze guns, two twelve-pounder howitzers and one eight-pounder bronze rifled cannon, to the Government of the Confederate States, and their tender has been accepted."

New Orleans Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 13 May, 1861 - Washington Artillery

"Major Walton's battalion, the Washington Artillery, numbering four companies and 300 men, left for Virginia last evening, by the Jackson Railroad."

"The Battalion, formed in four companies, with their drivers as a fifth or axillary, and with a large turnout of honourary members wearing badges, formed in Lafayette square. The Orleans Light Horse, Capt. Leeds; the Orleans Guard, some four or five hundred strong, and the youthful Louisiana Cadets, came to the ground, to escort the Artillerists to the Railroad Depot."

New Orleans Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 28 May, 1861 - Departure of the Washington Artillery

"This battalion is now in perfect organisation and fully equipped for active service. On Monday morning, the Confederate officer now being detained at Tangipahoa, the battalion will be mustered into the Confederate service. This will take place at 8 o'clock in the morning on Lafayette square."

New Orleans Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 25 May, 1861 - The Battalion of Washington Artillery

"The following dispatch was yesterday received from Major Walton: Holly Springs, 29 May, 9 A. M. To W. I. Hodgson, No.40 Camp street: Just arrived. All well and in fine spirits. Under many obligations to the Railroad Companies. J. B. Walton, Major Commanding W. A."

New Orleans Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 30 May, 1861 - The Washington Artillery

"The New Orleans Washington Artillery, a splendid battalion, numbering three hundred men, reached here yesterday morning. The following are the officers: Major J. B. Walton; Capt. H. M. Isaacson, of 1st company; Lieut. C. C. Lewis, in command of 2d company; Capt. W. B. Miller, of 3d company; Capt. F. Eschelman, of 4th company; Lieuts. C. W. Squires, J. B. Whittington, L. A. Adams, Jas. Norcum and H. A. Battles."

Richmond Enquirer, Semi-weekly edition (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 7 June, 1861 - Troops

"His Excellency, President Davis, received and addressed Major Walton's Battalion of New Orleans Washington Artillery, yesterday evening, at six o'clock, at their encampment, at Howard's Grove. We believe the horses for the battery were delivered yesterday. At any rate, we saw a number of artillery horses going in the direction of the Grove. The Washington Artillery require the use of about 150 horses in working their battery, which is of the most effective description."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 8 June, 1861

"Two companies of the celebrated Battalion of Washington Artillery, under Major Walton, left for Manassas Junction about 12 o'clock on yesterday."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 25 June, 1861 - N. O. Washington Artillery

"The Washington Artillery, of New Orleans, are now encamped in a very picturesque spot, called Mitchell's Ford, three miles from Manassas Junction. The locale is open, elevated and salubrious, bordered by dense woods, so that you can see the tops of the stately trees in the distance, forming, as it were, a magic circle around the camp."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 3 July, 1861 - A few days sojourn with the Army of the Potomac, Headquarters 1 July, 1861

"The Third and Fourth Companies of the Washington Artillery leave for Manassas Junction tomorrow morning."

New Orleans Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana), 8 July, 1861 - The Washington Artillery, Richmond, Va., 6 July

"The first company, Chasseurs A'Pieds, or Foot Rifles, from New Orleans, arrived in Petersburg yesterday morning. They are direct from Pensacola, where they have been in service for the last five months."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 20 September, 1861 - Chasseurs A'Pieds

Books/ Manuscripts

"Two of the guns for my battery had been completed when the Washington Artillery, from New Orleans, arrived in Richmond, completely equipped with the exception of two guns. I was earnestly entreated to turn over to them two of the pieces intended for my battery. Realising that it was for the good of the service I granted their request , and this delay occasioned the absence of my battery from the battle of Manassas." 1st Maryland Light Artillery

Richard Snowden Andrews, Lieutenant colonel commanding the First Maryland Artillery, Andrews' Battalion, Confederate States Army: A memoir, edited by Tunstall Smith, Baltimore

"Before leaving Richmond there had been assigned to the Battalion, Lieuts. T L Rosser, James Dearing, and J J Garnett. These young officers had been at West Point Academy when hostilities broke out, resigned, and came home to Virginia before graduating. They were assigned to the artillery as instructors and for general service, and assisted very materially in battery drills upon the of Manassas plains."

In camp and in battle with the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, by William M Owen

Sketches of the history of the Washington Artillery: Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume XI, January-December 1883, pp210-222, by Colonel J B Walton, Captain J A Chalaron, Colonel B F Eschelman, and Colonel W M Owen

A soldier's story of the war including the marches and battles of the Washington Artillery, and of other Louisiana troops

The pride of the Confederate artillery: The Washington Artillery in the Army of Tennessee, by Nathaniel C Hughes

Louisiana: A Guide to Louisiana Confederate Military Organizations 1861–1865, by A W Bergerun, Jr.

Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Louisiana, by Stewart Sifakis

Notes

The Washington Artillery was accepted in state service for one year at New Orleans, Orleand Parish, Louisiana, on 24 January, 1861, and was organised as the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, on 3 May, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery was accepted in Confederate service for the war at New Orleans, Orleand Parish, Louisiana, and was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861.

State service, United States Arsenal & Barracks, Baton Rouge, 10-13 January, 1861

The Washington Artillery, acting as infantry, under the command of Captain J B Walton, was ordered to proceed by the steamer National to seize the United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, at 1.30/2 AM on 10 January, 1861, and was accompanied by the Orleans Cadets, the Louisiana Guards, the Crescent Rifles, the Sarsfield Guards, the Louisiana Foot Rifles, 2nd Company, and Major B Avegno, Louisiana Foot Rifles. The company arrived at Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 10 January, 1861, and disembarked in the morning on 11 January, 1861.

Note: The Washington Artillery was stationed at the United States Arsenal and Barracks, old Spanish Town Road, Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, between 11 and 13 January, 1861.

Note: E A Palfrey was appointed captain, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, in the evening on 4 May, 1861.

Organistion of Washington Battalion Artillery, 7 May, 1861: Major J B Walton; 1st Company, Captain H M Isaacson; 2nd Company, Captain E A Palfrey; 3rd Company, Captain M B Miller; 4th Company, Captain O Voorhies

Note: Two companies of the Washington Battalion Artillery were assigned as artillery and two companies as reserve infantry on 13 May, 1861, and the Washington Battalion Artillery was stationed at 40 Camp Street, New Orleans, Orleand Parish, Louisiana, on 17 May, 1861.

Mustered for the war, Lafayette Square, on Lafayette & Hevia Streets, between St Charles & Camp Street, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, 26 May, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Lafayette Square, on Lafayette and Hevia Streets, between St Charles and Camp Street, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 26 May, 1861.

Organisation of Washington Battalion Artillery, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, 26 May, 1861: Major J B Walton; 1st Company, Captain H M Isaacson, Senior First Lieutenant C W Squires, Junior First Lieutenant J B Richardson, Second Lieutenant H G Geiger; 2nd Company, Senior First Lieutenant C C Lewis, Junior First Lieutenant S J McPherson, Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb; 3rd Company, Captain M B Miller, Senior First Lieutenant J B Whittington, Second Lieutenant L A Adam; 4th Company, Captain B F Eshleman, Junior First Lieutenant J Norcum, Second Lieutenant H A Battles

Armament of Washington Battalion Artillery, New Orleans, Orleand Parish, Louisiana, 27 May, 1861: Six 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841, two 12 pounder field howitzers, one 6 pounder 3 nch rifle

New Orleans to Richmond, 27 May-4 June, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery (300) was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.52, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 7 PM on 27 May, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861, and arrived at Holly Springs, Marshall County, Mississippi, via Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi, at 9 AM on 29 May, 1861. The battalion arrived by the East Tennessee and Georgia Railriad at Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, via Grand Junction, Fayette and Hardeman Counties, Tennessee; Iuka, Tishomingo County, Mississippi; Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama; and Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, on 31 May, 1861, and by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad at the Agricultural & Mechanics' Society Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, three quarters of a mile southwest of Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, via Bristol, Sullivan County, Tennessee; Wytheville, Wythe County, and Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 2 June, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery was stationed at the Agricultural & Mechanics' Society Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, three quarters of a mile southwest of Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, between 2 and 3 June, 1861.

Agricultural & Mechanics' Society Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, three quarters of a mile southwest of Lynchburg, Campbell County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 3-4 June 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Beauregard, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies, were stationed at Camp Beauregard, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 4 and 24 June, 1861, and the 3rd and 4th Companies between 4 June and 7 July, 1861.

Arrival at Manassas Junction, 25 June/ 8 July, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.200, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861, dated 22 June, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, via Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 25 June, 1861.

Camp Beauregard, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, a quarter of a mile east of the Virginia Central Railroad, Union Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 3rd & 4th Companies, 7-8 July, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd and 4th Companies, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd and 4th Companies, under the command of Captain H M Isaacson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were stationed at Camp Beauregard, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, a quarter of a mile east of the Virginia Central Railroad, Union Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.

Advance to Mitchell's Ford, 25 June/ 8 July, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies, were ordered to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 June, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, the same day.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 2nd Companies, arrived at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 25 June, 1861, and were assigned to Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.

Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 3rd & 4th Companies, 8 July, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd and 4th Companies, arrived at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 8 July, 1861.

Reconnaissance to Occoquan, 8-13 July, 1861

One 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and one 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered on a reconnaissance to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, on 8 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 7th Virginia Infantry and a detachment of the Wise Dragoons (See the 24th Virginia Infantry).

Note: A detachment of the Wise Dragoons and one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and one 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered to rendezvous at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 8 July, 1861 (See Lay's Squadron Cavalry).

Organisation of Washington Battalion Artillery (20), detachment, 8 July, 1861: One 6 pounder 3 inch rifle (10), First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company; one 12 pounder field howitzer (10), Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company

Note: One 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and one 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were stationed at Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, between 8 and 13 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 13 July, 1861.

Organisation of reconnaissance to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, 8-13 July, 1861: Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry; 7th Virginia Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel L B Williams, Jr.; Wise Dragoons, detachment, Captain J A Adams; Washington Battalion Artillery, section, First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company

Morning reports of Washington Battalion Artillery (274), 13 July, 1861: Field and staff (8); First Company (71); Second Company (69); Third Company (63); Fourth Company (63)

Organisation of Washington Battalion Artillery, Camp Louisiana, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 15 July, 1861: Major J B Walton; One 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers, 1st Company, First Lieutenant C W Squires, First Lieutenant J B Richardson; two 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers, 2nd Company, First Lieutenant T L Rosser, First Lieutenant C C Lewis, Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb; three 6 pounder smoothbores, 3rd Company, Captain M B Miller, First Lieutenant J B Whittington, First Lieutenant J J Garnett, Second Lieutenant L A Adam; three 6 pounder smoothbores, 4th Company, Captain B F Eshleman, First Lieutenant J Norcum, Second Lieutenant H A Battles

Note: Second Lieutenant H G Geiger, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was appointed acting assistant quartermaster, Washington Battalion Artillery, at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 9 July, 1861, and Captain H M Isaacson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and First Lieutenant S J McPherson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, resigned at Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 14 July, 1861, dated 16 August, 1861. First Lieutenant T L Rosser, artillery, Confederate States Army, was temporarily appointed second lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, by Special Orders No.66, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and Second Lieutenant J J Garnett, artillery, Confederate States Army, was appointed junior first lieutenant, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph IX, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861, dated 20 June, 1861.

Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, to the rear of Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 1st Company, 17 July, 1861: One 12 pounder field howitzer and one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered to the rear of Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861.

Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 2nd Company, 17 July, 1861: Two 12 pounder field howitzers and two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, were ordered to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861.

Camp Louisiana No.1, Mitchell's Ford, to McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachments of 4th Company, 17 July, 1861: Two 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of Captain B F Eshleman, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, were ordered to McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861.

McLean's farm, one mile southwest of Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachments of 1st & 4th Companies, 17 July, 1861: Three 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of Captain B F Eshleman and First Lieutenant J Norcum, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, and one 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, were stationed at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861.

Note: One 6 pounder smoothbore, under the command of Captain B F Eshleman,Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was stationed at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10 AM on 18 July, 1861.

McLean's Ford to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 3rd Company, 17 July, 1861: One 6 pounder smoothbore, under the command of First Lieutenant J J Garnett, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 17 July, 1861.

Note: Three 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of Captain M B Miller, First Lieutenant J B Whittington, and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, were stationed at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and one 6 pounder smoothbore, under the command of First Lieutenant J Norcum, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was stationed at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

McLean's Ford to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 3rd Company, 17 July, 1861: One 6 pounder smoothbore, under the command of Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

McLean's farm, one mile southwest of Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 4th Company, 18 July, 1861: One 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, and Second Lieutenant H A Battles, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was ordered to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, dated 6 PM 17 July, 1861.

Note: Two 12 pounder field howitzers were exchanged for two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles at Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Morning distribution of the Washington Battalion Artillery (284), 18 July, 1861: Four 12 pounder field howitzers, First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River (See the Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac); three 6 pounder 3 inch rifles, First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, at Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River (See the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac); two 6 pounder smoothbores, First Lieutenant J B Whittington and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River; two 6 pounder smoothbores, First Lieutenant J J Garnett, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River (See the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac); two 6 pounder smoothbores, Captain M B Miller, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac)

Note: Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, during the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 2nd Company, 17-18 July, 1861: The 6th Louisiana Infantry, Companies D and I, were assigned to support four 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, at the rear of Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 17 July, 1861, and were ordered to Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, and between Yates' and Woodyard's Fords, one and a half miles southeast of Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, respectively, in the morning on 18 July, 1861 (See the 6th Louisiana Infantry).

Rear of Union Mills Ford to McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 1st Company & 2 detachments of 4th Company, 18 July, 1861: Three 6 pounder 3 inch rifles, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered to McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and were accompanied by six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, the 7th Virginia Infantry, and the 7th Louisiana Infantry.

Note: Two 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of First Lieutenant J B Whittington and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, were stationed at McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, 18 July, 1861

Three 6 pounder 3 inch rifles, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires and First Lieutenant J B Richardson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and four 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of First Lieutenants J J Garnett and J B Whittington and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, and Captain B F Eshleman, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, were engaged in a skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 1 and 4 PM on 18 July, 1861.

List of killed, etc, Washington Battalion Artillery, at the first battle of Manassas, 18 July, 1861: 1st Company, k 1, w 2,, t 3; 3rd Company, w 1, t 1; 4th Company, 2 w, t 2; Wounded 5, killed 1, total 6

Note: Private G W Muse, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was killed and Privates J A Tarleton and H L Zeal, , Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company; Private H Tully, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company; Captain B F Eshelman, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company; and Private H H Baker, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, were wounded during the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

List of killed, wounded, & missing of the Washington Battalion Artillery in the battle of Bull Run, fought 18 July, 1861, as called for by article 456 of the Army Regulations of C.S.A: Killed 1 wounded 5, total 6

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company and detachments of the 3rd and 4th Companies, were stationed east of the road between Blackburn's Ford and McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 18 July, 1861.

Distribution of Washington Battalion Artillery at first Manassas, 21 July, 1861: Four 12 pounder field howitzers, First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River; two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores, First Lieutenants C W Squires and J B Richardson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and First Lieutenant J B Whittington, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, at the road between Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, and McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River; one 6 pounder smoothbore and one 3 inch rifle, First Lieutenant J J Garnett and Second Lieutenant L A Adam, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River; two 6 pounder smoothbores, Captain M B Miller, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, and First Lieutenant J Norcum, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River

First battle of Manassas, 21 July, 1861

Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, were stationed at the road between Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, and McLean's farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River; four 12 pounder field howitzers of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River; one 6 pounder smoothbore and one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle of the Washington Battlion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant J J Garnett, at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River; and two 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battlion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command og Captain M B Miller, at McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 1st & 4th Companies, 21 July, 1861: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, were ordered to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 7 AM on 21 July, 1861, and were accompanied by one 6 pounder smoothbore of the 1st Rockbridge Artillery and the Thomas Artillery, under the command of Colonel & Acting Captain W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army.

Note: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, were stationed at F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 1st & 4th Companies, 21 July, 1861: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of First Lieutenant J B Richardson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered southeast of I Henry's/ Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 8.30 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Staunton Artillery was stationed on an eminence west of I Henry's/ Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 9 AM on 21 July, 1861 (See the Staunton Artillery).

Withdrawal to F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 1st & 4th Companies, 21 July, 1861: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of First Lieutenant J B Richardson, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered to withdraw to Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, were stationed on an eminence north of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 1st & 4th Companies, 21 July, 1861: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, were ordered southeast of I Henry's/ Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 10 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, were ordered to withdraw to an eminence north of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Northwest of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment of 1st & 4th Companies, 21 July, 1861: Three 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of First Lieutenants C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered northwest of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 1 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Two 6 pounder smoothbores of the Loudoun Artillery, under the command of Captain A L Rogers, were ordered south of the Warrenton Turnpike and 600 yards southwest of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 11 AM on 21 July, 1861 (See the Loudoun Artillery).

Advance east of Rocky Run & Grigsby's barn, half a mile east of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachments of 3rd Company, 21 July, 1861: Two six pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, were ordered east of Rocky Run and Grigsby's barn, half a mile east of Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Two six pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, was stationed on the road between Union Mills (Station) and Centreville, in the vicinity of E W Kincheloe's farm, two miles north of Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 21 July, 1861, and the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company H, was assigned as support in the afternoon the same day (See the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company H).

General pursuit to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, detachment of 3rd Company, 21 July, 1861: One 6 pounder smoothbore and one 3 inch rifle of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant J J Garnett, were ordered on a general pursuit to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Stationed as a reserve at F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 2nd Company, 21 July, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was stationed as a reserve at F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and two detachments of the 4th Company, under the command of Major J B Walton, were stationed in the vicinity of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861, and the 2nd Company arrived at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening the same day.

List of killed, etc, Washington Battalion Artillery, at the first battle of Manassas, 21 July, 1861: 1st Company, w 1, t 1; 4th Company, k 1, w 1, t 2; Killed 1, wounded 2, total 3

Note: Sergeant J D Reynolds, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was killed and Private G L Crutcher, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was wounded at the first battle of Manassas, on 21 July, 1861.

Return of casualties in the Washington Battalion Artillery, Army of the Potomac, at the battle of first Manassas, 21 July, 1861: Killed 1, wounded 2, total 3

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861.

Camp Squires, in the vicinity of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 1st Company & detachments of 4th Company, 23-29 July, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and two detachments of the 4th Company, were stationed at Camp Squires, in the vicinity of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 23 and 29 July, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery was assigned to the First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Major J B Walton, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph II, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Rendezvous at Mitchell's Ford, 26-29 July, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, and a detachment of the 4th Company arrived at Camp Louisiana No.2, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 26 July, 1861.

Union Mills Ford to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 2nd Company, 27 July, 1861. The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, arrived at Camp Louisiana No.2, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 27 July, 1861.

Camp Squires, in the vicinity of F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, to Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 1st Company & detachments of 4th Company, 29 July, 1861. The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, and two detachments of the 4th Company, arrived at Camp Louisiana No.2, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 29 July, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of Captain M B Miller, was stationed at Camp Louisiana No.2, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 26 July and 1 August, 1861.

Mitchell's Ford to Centreville, 3rd Company, 1 August, 1861

Three 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of Captain M B Miller, Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, arrived at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 August, 1861.

Note: Three 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of First Lieutenant J Norcum, Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, arrived at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 September, 1861.

Mitchell's Ford to Fairfax Courthouse, 2nd Company, 23 August, 1861

Two 6 pounder three inch rifles and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, were ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 August, 1861.

Special Orders No.257, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 August, 1861: Two 6 pounder three inch rifles and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, were assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.257, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 August, 1861.

Note: Two 6 pounder three inch rifles and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, were stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 23 and 28 August, 1861.

Mitchell's Ford to Germantown & Centreville, 1st Company, 27-31 August, 1861

One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.269, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 August, 1861, dated 26 August, 1861.

Special Orders No.269, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 26 August, 1861: One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were temporarily assigned to the Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.269, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 August, 1861.

Germantown to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1st Company, 31 August, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 August, 1861, and were stationed at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 31 August and 3 September, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse to Munson's Hill, 2nd Company, 28 August, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, was ordered to Munson's Hill, east of the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of Bailey's Crossroad, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861, and was stationed at Munson's Hill, east of the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of Bailey's Crossroad, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 28 August and 28 September, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 280, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 29 August, 1861.

Mitchell's Ford to Centreville, 4th Company, 1 September, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 1 September and 1 October, 1861.

Reconnaissance to Great Falls, 1st Company, 3-4 September, 1861

One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, under the command of Colonel M Jenkins, 5th South Carolina Infantry, was ordered on a reconnaissance to Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, at 9 PM on 3 September, 1861, and was accompanied by the 5th South Carolina Infantry and a detachment of the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies E and G. One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, arrived at Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, at 9 AM on 4 September, 1861.

Note: One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, arrived at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 3 September, 1861, and arrived at Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, at 8 AM on 4 September, 1861.

Organisation of reconnaissance to Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 3-4 September, 1861: Colonel M Jenkins, 5th South Carolina Infantry; 5th South Carolina Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel G W H Legg; Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, one 6 pounder three inch rifle & two 12 pounder field howitzers, First Lieutenant C W Squires; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company E, detachment, First Lieutenant T Whitehead; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company G, detachment, First Lieutenant N C Harris

Disposition of reconnaissance to Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 4 September, 1861: The 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies A and K, and two 12 pounder field howitzers of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, were stationed opposite Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland; the 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies C (2nd) and I, and one 6 pounder three inch rifle of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, south of Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland; the 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies B and G, and a detachment of the 30th Virginia Cavalry, at 'Difficult Bridge', on the Leesburg & Georgetown Turnpike, one mile south of Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland; the 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies D and E, and a detachment of the 30th Virginia Cavalry, one and a quarter miles north of Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland; and the 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies F, H, and J, under the command of Major W T Thomson, as a reserve southwest of Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, in the morning on 4 September, 1861.

Note: The 5th South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, C (2nd), I, and K, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel G W H Legg, were stationed opposite and south of Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, in the morning on 4 September, 1861.

Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, 4 September, 1861: One 6 pounder three inch rifle and two 12 pounder field howitzers of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 4 September, 1861, and was accompanied by the 5th South Carolina Infantry and a detachment of the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies E and G. The regiment arrived in the vicinity of Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 PM on 4 September, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11 AM on 6 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 6 and 12 September, 1861.

Skirmish at Lewinsville, 2nd Company, 11 September, 1861

One 6 pounder three inch rifle and one 12 pounder field howitzer of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, , under the command of Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry, were ordered to Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 11 September, 1861, and were accompanied by four companies of the 13th Virginia Infantry and the 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company M/K (2nd).

Skirmish at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 September, 1861: One 6 pounder three inch rifle and one 12 pounder field howitzer, under the command of First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, were engaged in a skirmish at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 11 September, 1861.

Organisation of troops engaged in skirmish at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 September, 1861: Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry; 13th Virginia Infantry (305), 4 companies, Major J B Terrill; 1st Virginia Cavalry, Company E, Captain W Patrick; Company M/K (2nd), Captain G R Gaither, Jr.; Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, section, First Lieutenant T L Rosser, Second Lieutenant C H Slocomb

Skirmish at Hall's Hill, one mile northwest of Ball's Crossroads, Alexandria County, Virginia, detachment of 2nd Company, 13 September, 1861: The 1st Maryland Infantry, Companies B and H (2nd), the 6th South Carolina Infantry, and a detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, under the command of Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry, was engaged in a skirmish at Hall's Hill, one mile northwest of Ball's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 13 September, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was stationed at and in the vicinity of Munson's Hill, east of the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of Bailey's Crossroad, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 28 August and 30 September, 1861.

Centreville to Germantown, 1st Company, 12 September, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861, and was stationed at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 12 and 15 September, 1861.

Note: The right section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was stationed at Upton's Hill, half a mile east of W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 15 and 27 September, 1861, and the left section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, at W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 18 and 25 September, 1861.

Skirmish at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, left section of 1st Company, 25 September, 1861: The left section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, under the command of Colonel J B Kershaw, 2nd South Carolina Infantry, was ordered to Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 10 PM on 25 September, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Georgia Regulars, the 2nd South Carolina Infantry, and the 17th Virginia Infantry. The left section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was engaged in a skirmish at Lewinsville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 2 and 4.30/5 PM on 25 September, 1861.

Note: The left section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, arrived at W Taylor's Tavern, on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike, one mile southwest of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 9 PM on 25 September, 1861, and was ordered to Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 27 September, 1861.

Rendezvous at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1st Company, 28 September, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, rendezvoused at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 28 September, 1861.

Note: The left section of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was stationed at Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 September, 1861.

General Orders No. 58, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 29 September, 1861: Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, was appointed chief of artillery, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No. 58, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 September, 1861.

Reconnaissance to Great Falls, 3rd Company, 29 September-1 October, 1861

A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery (12), 3rd Company, under the command of Brigadier General W H T Walker, Confederate States Army, was ordered on a reconnaissance to Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 29 September, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was stationed at Camp Orleans, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 31 August and 29 September, 1861, and a detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant J J Garnett, was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 September, 1861.

Organisation of reconnaissance to Great Falls, on Potomac River; Coon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, one & half a miles west of Offutt's Crossroads; & Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 29 September-1 October, 1861: Brigadier General W H T Walker, Confederate States Army; 6th Louisiana Infantry, Colonel I G Seymour; 7th Louisiana Infantry, Colonel H T Hays; 8th Louisiana Infantry, Colonel H B Kelly; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company E, Captain E Whitehead; Washington Battalion Artillery (13), 3rd Company, detachment, First Lieutenant J J Garnett; Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, section, Captain J Reilly

Skirmish at Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 30 September, 1861: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was engaged in a skirmish at Great Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, at 9 AM on 30 September, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Coon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, one and a half miles west of Offutt's Crossroads, Montgomery County, Maryland, at 5 PM on 30 September, 1861.

Coon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, one & a half miles west of Offutt's Crossroads, to Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 30 September, 1861: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, in the evening on 30 September, 1861.

Skirmish at Coon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, one & a half miles west of Offutt's Crossroads, & Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, 30 September, 1861: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was engaged a skirmish at Coon's Ferry, on the Potomac River, one and a half miles west of Offutt's Crossroads, and Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, in the evening on 30 September, 1861.

Seneca Falls, on the Potomac River, Montgomery County, Maryland, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 30 September-1 October, 1861: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Dranesville, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the evening on 30 September, 1861, and arrived at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 1 October, 1861.

General Orders No. 58, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 29 September, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by General Orders No. 58, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 30 September, 1861, dated 29 September, 1861.

Note: Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, was appointed chief of artillery, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No. 58, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861, dated 29 September, 1861.

Rendezvous at Fairfax Courthouse, 30 September-2 October, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 30 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 30 September and 16 October, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st Company, was stationed at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 28 and 30 September, 1861.

Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 2nd Company, 30 September-1 October, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, arrived at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 30 September, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 30 September and 1 October, 1861.

Note: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 2nd Company, was assigned to outpost duty, under the command of Brigadier General J E B Stuart, Confederate States Army, between 1 and 22 October, 1861.

Camp Orleans, Centreville, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 3rd Company, detachment, 30 September/1 October, 1861: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 30 Spetember, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 30 September/1 and 16 October, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 3rd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant J J Garnett, arrived at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861.

Camp Orleans, Centreville, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 4th Company, 30 September/1 October, 1861: The Washington Battalion Artillery, 4th Company, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 30 Spetember, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Benjamin, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 30 September/1 and 16 October, 1861.

Withdrawal to Centreville, 16 October, 1861

The Washington Battalion Artillery was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 AM on 16 October, 1861.

Note: Washington Battalion Artillery was stationed at Camp Hollins, at and in the vicinity of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 16 October, 1861.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The Washington Battalion Artillery, under the command of Captain E Owen, 1st Company, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

The Washington Battalion Artillery was assigned to the Reserve Artillery, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Colonel W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, by General Orders No.15, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 October, 1861.

Reports

Official Report No.78: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp465-467
Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, of operations 18 July, 1861, dated Camp Louisiana, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 2 August, 1861

Official Report No.79: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp467-469
First Lieutenant C W Squires, Washington Battalion Artillery, of action at Blackburn's Ford, dated Camp Louisiana, Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 1 August, 1861

Official Report No.85: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp515-518
Major J B Walton, Washington Battalion Artillery, dated in the vicinity of the Stone Bridge, on Bull Run River, 22 July, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.