The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah

Colonel L J Gartrell

Colonel L J Gartrell, 7th Georgia Infantry

Seventh Georgia Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year 31 May, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning 20 July, 1861. Stationed at the rear of McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL L J GARTRELL
Captain L J Gartrell, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was appointed colonel, 7th Georgia Infantry, on 31 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL J F COOPER
J F Cooper was appointed lieutenant colonel, 7th Georgia Infantry, on 31 May, 1861.

MAJOR J DUNWOODY
Captain J Dunwoody, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company H, was appointed major, 7th Georgia Infantry, on 31 May, 1861.

Company A Coweta Second District Guards: CAPT. S W LEE
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Coweta County, Georgia, on (?) April, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861.
Company B Confederate Volunteers: CAPT. G J FOREACRE
The company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain L J Gartrell, at Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, on 24 April, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861. Captain L J Gartrell and First Lieutenant G J Foreacre, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company B, were appointed colonel, 7th Georgia Infantry, and captain, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company B, the same day and Captain G J Foreacre, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was seriously wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company C Paulding Volunteers: CAPT. C S JENKINS
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Paulding County, Georgia, (?) April, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861. Captain C S Jenkins, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company C, was seriously wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company D Cobb Confederate Guards: CAPT. S MOYER
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Powder Springs, Cobb County, Georgia, on 4 May, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861. Captain S Moyer, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company D, was mortally wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and died on 6 August, 1861. First Lieutenant E H Lindley, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company D, was appointed captain, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company D, on 15 August, 1861.
Company E DeKalb Light Infantry: CAPT. J W FOWLER
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Decatur, DeKalb County, Georgia, on 29 May, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861.
Company F Iverson Invincibles or Carroll Rangers: CAPT. A T BURKE
The company was accepted in Confedearte service at Carroll County, Georgia, on 10 May, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861. Captain A T Burke, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company F, was badly wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and resigned at Milledgeville, Baldwin County, Georgia, on 21 December, 1861.
Company G Franklin or Heard Volunteers: CAPT. J B E BROWN
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Heard and Franklin Counties, Georgia, on (?) May, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861. Captain J B E Brown, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company G, died at Warrington, Fauquier County, Virginia, on 31 August, 1861, and Second Lieutenant N C Featherston, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company G, was appointed captain, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company G, on 10 September, 1861.
Company H Roswell Guards: CAPT. T E KING
The company was accepted in Confederate service, under the command of Captain J Dunwoody, at Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia, on (?) May, 1861, and was ordered to Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, on 29 May, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861, and Captain J Dunwoody and Third Lieutenant T E King, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company H, were appointed major, 7th Georgia Infantry, and captain, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company H, respectively, the same day. Captain T E King, 7th Georgia Infantry, Company H, was seriously wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company I Cobb Mountaineers: CAPT. W W WHITE
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Powder Springs, Cobb County, Georgia, (?) May, 1861, and was ordered to Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, in the evening on 31 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, the same day.
Company K Davis Infantry: CAPT. W J BALLARD
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Fulton County, Georgia, on (?) May, 1861, and was mustered in state and Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861.

Sources

"The Georgia Railroad brought in on yesterday morning, the Iverson Invincibles, Capt. Burke, 87 men, from Carroll county, and DeKalb Light Infantry, Capt. J. W. Fowler, 88 men from DeKalb county."

"Yesterday evening, the Davis Infantry, Capt. W. J. Ballard, 74 men and the Confederate Volunteers, Capt. G. J. Foreacre, 84 men, from Atlanta, the last companies of the 7th Regiment, arrived by the Georgia Railroad. These companies left for Virginia on yesterday evening, by the S. C. R. R. Col. L. J. Gartrell and staff, of the 7th Regiment passed through here last night."

The Augusta Evening Dispatch, 3 June, 1861 - Arrival and departure of troops

"Additional troops - Two more companies passed through the city on Friday morning, en route for Richmond. They were - Paulding Volunteers, Capt. C. S. jenkins, from Paulding county - 72 men. Confederate Guards, Capt. T. L. Moyer, from Cobb county - 85 men."

"Five companies passed through here Sunday on their way to Virginia last night, via the South Carolina Road. Col. gartrell and Staff also passed through, for the same point. Four of the companies belong to the Seventh Georgia (Col. Gartrell's) Regiment. They are: Iverson Invincibles, from Carrol county - Capt. Burke. Confederate Volunteers, from Atlanta - Capt. G. J. Foreacre. Davis Infantry, from Atlanta - Capt. W. J. Ballard. DeKalb Light Infantry, from DeKalb county - Capt. J. W. Fowler. These companies will average 84 men each. 'Cousin John' was about - going to see the Atlanta boys through. The fifth company was the Wilcox Rifles, from Wilcox county - Capt. P. H. Loud - 80 men. Before the cars left, Col. Gartrell was called on for a speech."

The Weekly Chronicle & Sentinel (Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia), 5 June, 1861 - More troops for Virginia

"Our citizens, numbering at least one thousand, two-thirds of whom Virginia's fair daughters, were present at the Fairgroundson Saturday evening, witnessing the grand military display of the 1st Regiment of Georgians, from Atlanta city, under the command of Col. Bartow, a gallant specimen of a Southern military gentleman. They struck their tents early on Sunday morning, and the regiment was formed, when their heroic Colonel addressed them with a patriotic eloquence for a few minutes, when the Chaplin stepped forward and in the most fervent appeal to the Throne of Grace, invoked the blessing of God upon them and the righteous cause of the South. The regiment then opended column and marched to the depot, where they took the cars amidst thundering applause, the ladies throwing bouquets and waving their lily white hanhkerchiefs. The other Georgia regiment came in on Sunday afternoon, and left on Monday morning."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 15 June, 1861 - Winchester, 11 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events: Record of events for Seventh Regiment, Georgia Infantry, May 1861-February 1865, edited by James B Hewett

Compendium of the Confederate Armies, South Carolina and Georgia, by Stewart Sifakis

Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865, Volume 1, by Lillian Henderson

Notes

The 7th Georgia Infantry was accepted in Confederate service on 29 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, on 31 May, 1861.

Mustered in for one year, Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley & Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, 31 May, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was mustered in Confederate service for one year at the Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley and Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, by Major A Elzey, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861 (See the 1st Maryland Infantry).

Note: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.58, Paragraph IX, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 24 May, 1861.

Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley & Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies C & D, 31 May, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry, Companies C (72) and D (85), arrived by the Georgia Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, in the morning on 31 May, 1861.

Southern Central Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, south of the Georgia Railroad, on Fair Street, between Connally Alley & Hill Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies B, E, F, & K, 2 June, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry, Companies E (88) and F (87), arrived by the Georgia Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, in the morning on 2 June, 1861, and Companies B (84) and K (74) in the evening the same day. The 7th Georgia Infantry, Companies B, E, F, and K, were ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 June, 1861.

Note: Colonel L J Gartrell, 7th Georgia Infantry, arrived by the Georgia Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, in the evening on 2 June, 1861.

Richmond, Henrico County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 6-10 June 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.65, Paragraph V, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 June, 1861, and arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and arrived the same day. The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Valley Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861, and arrived in the afternoon the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 10 June, 1861, and arrived via Halltown and Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day.

Evacuation Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15 June 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry evacuated Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Smithfield, Charlestown & Harpers Ferry Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment arrived at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 June, 1861.

Note: The 7th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Johnston, on the Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 15 June, 1861.

Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, via Smithfield or Middleway, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, to Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Frederick County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 7th Georgia Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Colonel F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, to Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 20 June, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry arrived at Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Hollingsworth Grove, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived via Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861.

Darkesville, Berkeley County, to Hollingsworth Grove, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 7 July, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 11 AM on 7 July, 1861, and arrived at Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 8 PM the same day.

The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.1, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 18 July, 1861, dated 17 July, 1861.

Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, 18-19 July, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Millwood Turnpike to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, via Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, at 9 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered across the Shenandoah River at Berry's Ferry, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Paris, Fauquier County, Virginia, via Ashby's Gap at 3 AM on 19 July, 1861. The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 5 AM the same day and arrived at 11 AM on 19 July, 1861.

Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19-20 July, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 9 PM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 20 July, 1861. The regiment was ordered to the rear between McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on Bull Run River, the same day.

Note: The 7th Georgia Infantry was stationed at the rear between McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on Bull Run River, under the command of Brigadier General B E Bee, Confederate States Army, as support to the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 20 July, 1861 (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah).

After the first battle of Manassas the 7th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Victory, in the vicinity of the F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 21 and 31 July, 1861.

Vicinity of the F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford,on the Bull Run River, to Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 31 July, 1861: The 7th Georgia Infantry arrived at Camp Bartow, Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 31 July, 1861.

Note: The 7th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Bartow, Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 31 July and 11 September, 1861.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 7th Georgia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel M T Alman, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Colonel F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah: Captain F S Bartow, Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company A, was appointed colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 September, 1861: Major General G W Smith, Confederate States Army, was assigned to the command of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.31, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861.

The 7th Georgia Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General S A M Jones, Confederate States Army, on 25 September, 1861.