The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah

Private D G Fleming, Company G, 8th Georgia Infantry

Private D G Fleming, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company G

Eighth Georgia Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for the war between 21 May and 4 June, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Virginia, 20 July, 1861. Stationed at the rear of McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL F S BARTOW
Captain F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was appointed colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, 1861, and was assigend to command the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June 1861. Colonel F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, was killed at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL W M GARDENER
Major W M Gardener, infantry, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.61, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 27 May, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 8 June, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W M Gardener, 8th Georgia Infantry, was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson county, Virginia, by Special Orders No.67, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day and was assigned to command the 8th Georgia Infantry at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861. He was appointed colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 4 September, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.

MAJOR T L COOPER
Captain T L Cooper, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company F, was appointed major, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, 1861, and lieutenant colonel on 4 September, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.

Company A Rome Light Guards: CAPT. E J MAGRUDER
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp Brown, old Smyrna Camp Meeting Ground, on the Western & Atlantic Railroad, four miles south of Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for the war at Camp Sheibley, Sheibley's School House, one mile northeast of Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, on 18 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 6 PM on 27 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 8 PM on 30 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 4 June, 1861.
Company B Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company A: CAPT. J J WEST
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Oglethorpe Barracks, Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, under the command of Captain F S Bartow, on 12 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Major W M Gardner, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 21 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Charleston & Savannah Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the afternoon on 21 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 May, 1861. Captain F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was appointed colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant J J West, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was appointed captain, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company B, on 3 July, 1861. Captain J J West's resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.122, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861.
Company C Macon Guards: CAPT. L M LAMAR
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, on 15 April, 1861, and was ordered to Tybee Island, on the Savannah River, eight miles east of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, in the evening on 16 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Tybee Island, on the Savannah River, eight miles east of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, on 21 May, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.58, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 24 May, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 31 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Captain J Scott, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 2 June, 1861.
Company D Echols Guards: CAPT. C W HOWARD
The company was accepted or mustered in state service for the war at Lone Oak, Meriwether County, Georgia, on 18 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Atlanta & West Point Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.57, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 25 May, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 27 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 30 May, 1861. Captain C W Howard, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company D, was killed at the first battle of Manasass on 21 July, 1861, and First Lieutenant H E Malone, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company D, was appointed captain, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company D, on 31 July, 1861.
Company E Miller Rifles: CAPT. J R TOWERS
The company was accepted or mustered in state service for the war at Sheibley's School House, one mile northeast of Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, on 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 11 AM on 29 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 1 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 3 June, 1861.
Company F Atlanta Greys: CAPT. J T LEWIS
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, under the command of Captain T L Cooper, on 17 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for the war on 22 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the morning on 22 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 27 May, 1861, and Captain T L Cooper, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company F, was appointed major, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, 1861. First Lieutenant J T Lewis, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company F, was appointed captain, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company F, on 4 July, 1861.
Company G Pulaski Volunteers: CAPT. T D L RYAN
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Hawkinsville, Pulaski County, Georgia, on 15 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for the war on 16 May, 1861. The company was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 3 PM on 23 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861, and proceeded across the Ocmulgee River to Buzzard Roost or Mill Creek Gap, on Mill Creek, four miles northwest of Dalton, Whitfield County, Georgia, the same day. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, via Branchville, Orangeburg County, South Carolina, at 11 AM on 28 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 31 May, 1861.
Company H Floyd Infantry: CAPT. J F COOPER
The company was accepted in Confederate service and mustered in state service for the war at Sheibley's School House, one mile northeast of Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, on 13 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the morning on 23 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 26 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 28 May, 1861. Captain J F Cooper, 8th Georgia Infantry, Company H, was appointed major, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 4 September, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.
Company I Stephens Light Guards: CAPT. G O DAWSON
The company was accepted in Confederate service and mustered in state service at Greensboro, Greene County, Georgia, on 16 May, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.51, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 3 June, 1861, dated 16 May, 1861. The company was delayed by a railroad collision on 4 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 4 June, 1861.
Company K Oglethorpe Rifles: CAPT. G LUMPKIN
The company was accepted in Confederate service and was mustered in state service for the war at Maxeys, Oglethorpe County, Georgia, on 15 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 28 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 3 June, 1861.

Seizure of Fort Pulaski, 3 January, 1861

Colonel A R Lawton, First Georgia Militia

A detachment of three companies of the 1st Georgia Militia, under the command of Colonel A R Lawton, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Ida on the Savannah River at West Broad Street, Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, to seize Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, in the morning on 3 January, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry (50) and the Savannah Volunteer Guards (50) were ordered to Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 5 January, 1861, and the Republican Blues (75), under the command of Captain J W Anderson, on 11 January, 1861.

Detachment of 1st Georgia Militia, 3 January, 1861: Colonel A R Lawton; Savannah Volunteer Guards (50), Captain J Screven; Oglethorpe Light Infantry (50), Captain F S Bartow; Chatham Artillery (25), Captain J S Claghorn

Surrendered Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, 3 January, 1861: Sergeant Walker, United States Ordnance Department, surrendered Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 3 January, 1861, and was ordered to Oglethorpe Barracks, Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, on 7 January, 1861.

Note: Captain W H C Whiting, United States Corps Engineers, arrived at Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 7 January, 1861, and Captain F S Bartow, Oglethorpe Light Infantry, First Georgia Militia Infantry, was ordered to Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, on 12 January, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, 12 January, 1861: The Irish Jasper Guards, under the command of Captain J Foley, and a detachment of the Savannah Volunteer Guards, First Georgia Volunteer Infantry, were ordered to proceed on the steamer Sampson on the Savannah River to Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 12 January, 1861.

Note: The German Volunteers, First Georgia Volunteer Infantry, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Sampson on the Savannah River to Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 24 January, 1861, and the 1st Georgia (Regulars) Infantry, under the command of Colonel C J Williams, was ordered to Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, on 15 March, 1861.

Sources

"The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, of this city, Capt. Francis S. Bartow commanding, and numbering 101 men, rank and file, having been received into the Confederate Army, took their departure yesterday afternoon, on the Charleston train."

The Savannah Daily Republican, 22 May, 1861 - Departure of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry for Virginia

"Charleston, 21 May - The train with the Oglethorpe Light Infantry arrived here at nine o'clock this evening. They were received at the depot by an escort numbering nine hundred and fifty men, consisting of the Charleston Riflemen, the Washington Light Infantry, and the Washington Artillery."

The Daily Morning News (Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia), 22 May, 1861 - Reception of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry in Charleston

"Richmond, 24 May - The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, from Savannah, arrived here last night. All well. W. H. Bennett, Oglethorpe Light Infantry."

The Augusta Evening Dispatch, 25 May, 1861 - Special telegram to the Dispatch

"Brief mention was made in yesterday's paper of the arrival of this admirable corpson Thursday night. The battalion is now quartered at the Fairfields Racecourse."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 May, 1861 - Oglethorpe Light Infantry

"This corps, under command of Captain Lamar, which has been stationed on Tybee Island for sometime past, having been received into the army of the Confederate States, arrived by the steamer Robert Habersham, and marched up to their quarters in the city yesterday morning, where they remained until they embarked on the train at 1.30, p. m. for Macon."

The Savannah Daily Republican, 28 May, 1861 - Macon Guards

"The Floyd Infantry, Rome, Ga., Capt. John F. Cooper, eighty-two men, left Rome for Virginia on Thursday. The Rome Light Guards, seventy-six men, and the Miller Rifles, both of Rome, have received orders and left."

Georgia Journal & Messenger (Macon, Bibb County, Georgia), 29 May, 1861 - Troops moving

"This company left yesterday at 11 o'clock, on a special train for Richmond."

Rome Tri-Weekly Courier, 30 May, 1861 - Miller Rifles

"Five companies arrived in this city last night - the Oglethorpe Infantry, Capt. Adam, and Walker Light Infantry, Capt. Crump, of Augusta; Newnan Guards, Capt. Harvey, of Newnan; Stephens Light Guards, Capt. Dawson, of Greensboro', and Southern Guards, Capt. Wilkins, of Columbus."

The Weekly Chronicle & Sentinel, 5 June, 1861 - A military ovation

"Our regiment is very nearly completed. We have here now: Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Rome Light Guards, Macon Guards, Echols Guards, (of Meriwether county) Letcher Guards, (of Augusta) Beauregard Volunteers, Pulaski Volunteers, Atlanta Greys."

The Daily Morning News (Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia), 6 June, 1861 - Letter from the Oglethorpes, Howard's Grove, near Richmond, Camp Georgia, 1st June, 1861

"On the regular Southern train which arrived at or about the same time, there arrived a number of military Companies from Georgia, to wit: the Independent Blues, of Augusta, Captain Richards, 60 men; the Oglethorpe Rifles, of Oglethorpe County, Ga., Captain Lumpkin, 86 men; the Beauregard Volunteers, of Houston County,Ga., Captain Anderson, 90 men; the Macon Guards, of Bibb County, Ga., Captain lamar; the Butts Volunteers, Captain Dupree. Also, squads of the Macon Volunteers, the Spaulding Greys, and the Governor's Guards- all of Georgia."

Wilmington Journal, 6 June, 1861

"We arrived here at 8 o'clock yesterday evening. We are about a mile from the centre of the city, in a beautiful pine grove. Only six companies are yet arrived of Col. Bartow's Regiment, but the others are expected soon."

Rome Tri-Weekly Courier, 6 June, 1861 - Camp Howard Grove, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861

"Our citizens, numbering at least one thousand, two-thirds of whom Virginia's fair daughters, were present at the Fairgroundson Saturday evening, witnessing the grand military display of the 1st Regiment of Georgians, from Atlanta city, under the command of Col. Bartow, a gallant specimen of a Southern military gentleman. They struck their tents early on Sunday morning, and the regiment was formed, when their heroic Colonel addressed them with a patriotic eloquence for a few minutes, when the Chaplin stepped forward and in the most fervent appeal to the Throne of Grace, invoked the blessing of God upon them and the righteous cause of the South. The regiment then opended column and marched to the depot, where they took the cars amidst thundering applause, the ladies throwing bouquets and waving their lily white hanhkerchiefs. The other Georgia regiment came in on Sunday afternoon, and left on Monday morning."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 15 June, 1861 - Winchester, 11 June, 1861

"A Brigade was organised yesterday, composed of the 7th and 8th Georgia Regiments, and the 4th Alabama Regiment, and two battalions of Kentucky troops, and Col. F. S. Bartow appointed Brevet Brigadier General."

Rome Tri-Weekly Courier, 27 June, 1861 - Camp of Gen. Johnston's command, three miles from Winchester, Tuesday, 18 June, 1861

"The 7th and 8th Georgia Regiments, one Tennessee, and one Alabama Regiment, and two Kentucky Battalions are formed into a Brigade - Col. Bartow acting as Brigadier General, having two Virginia Artillery Companies attached - quartered now at this place."

The Southern Confederacy, 29 June, 1861 - Camp two miles north of Winchester, 20th June, 1861

"The Echols Guards, from Meriwether county, Capt. C. W. Howard, were detailed as picket guard at Harpers Ferry, and kept their post for six days, on half rations, without tents, and many without even a blanket."

The Raleigh Weekly Standard (North Carolina), 10 July, 1861 - Camp two miles north of Winchester, 20 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

A scythe of fire: A civil war story of the Eighth Georgia Infantry Regiment, by Warren Wilkinson and Steven E Woodworth

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events: Record of events for Eighth Regiment, Georgia Infantry, May 1861-October 1864, edited by James B Hewett

Historical sketch of Company G, 8th Georgia, C.S.A.: The Hawkinsville Dispatch, 10 July, 1879, by D G Fleming

The Oglethorpe Light Infantry of Savannah, in peace and in war: A brief sketch of its two companies, 'A' Company, known in the Confederate States Army as Co. B., 8th Regt. Ga. Vols., and 'B' Company known as Co. H., 1st Volunteer Regt. of Ga., by Captain W S Rockwell

Confederate military history: A library of Confederate States history, written by distinguished men of the South, Volume VI, edited by Clement A Evans

Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865, Volume 1, by Lillian Henderson

Charlotte's boys: Civil War letters of the Branch family of Savannah, by Mauriel Joslyn

A Confederate chronicle: The life of a Civil War survivor, by Pamela Chase Hain

Civil War Macon: The history of a Confederate city, by Richard W Iobst

A history of Rome and Floyd County, state of Georgia, including numerous incidents of more than local interest, 1540-1922, Volume I, by George Magruder Battey, Jr., author of "70,000 miles on a submarine destroyer"

Historical sketch of the Chatham Artillery during the Confederate struggle for independence, by Charles C Jones, Jr, late lieutenant colonel of artillery, C.S.A

Notes

The 8th Georgia Infantry was organised at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861.

State Service

Seizure of Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, Company B, 3 January, 1861: The Oglethorpe Light Infantry (50), 1st Georgia Militia Infantry, under the command of Captain F S Bartow, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Ida on the Savannah River at West Broad Street, Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, to seize Fort Pulaski, on Cockspur Island, at the mouth of the Savannah River, in the morning on 3 January, 1861, and was accompanied by a detachment of the Savannah Volunteer Guards (50), and Chatham Artillery (25), under the command of Colonel A R Lawton, 1st Georgia Militia Infantry.

Tybee Island, on the Savannah River, eight miles east of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, Company C, 16 April-27 May, 1861: The Macon Guards was ordered to Tybee Island, on the Savannah River, eight miles east of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, in the evening on 16 April, 1861, and arrived by the Georgia Central Railroad at Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, at 7 AM on 17 April, 1861. The company was stationed at Tybee Island, on the Savannah River, eight miles east of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, between 17 April and 27 May, 1861, and arrived by the steamer Robert Habersham on the Savannah River at Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, in the morning on 27 May, 1861. The Macon Guards was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Central Railroad to Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, at 1.30 PM the same day and arrived in the evening on 27 May, 1861.

Note: The Columbus Guards (112) arrived at Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, on 16 April, 1861.

Confederate Service

The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company A, arrived at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861; the Atlanta Greys on 25 May, 1861; the Floyd Infantry on 26 May, 1861; the Echols Guards on 27 May, 1861; the Pulaski Volunteers on 28 May, 1861; the Rome Light Guards on 30 May, 1861; the Macon Guards and the Oglethorpe Rifles on 31 May, 1861; the Miller Rifles on 1 June, 1861; and the Stephens Light Guards on 5 June, 1861.

Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company B, 21-23 May, 1861: The Oglethorpe Light Infantry (101), Company A, was ordered to proceed by the Charleston & Savannah Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the afternoon on 21 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 9 PM the same day. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 May, 1861.

Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company F, 22-25 May, 1861: The Atlanta Greys was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the morning on 22 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived by the Georgia Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, at 6.30 PM on 23 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 7.30 PM the same day and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad on 25 May, 1861.

Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company H, 23-27 May, 1861: The Floyd Infantry (76) was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, in the morning on 23 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad on 27 May, 1861.

Hawkinsville, Pulaski County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company G, 23-30 May, 1861: The Pulaski Volunteers (88/95) was ordered across the Ocmulgee River to Buzzard Roost, Twiggs County, Georgia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 3 PM on 23 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861, and arrived by the Macon & Brunswick Railroad at Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, on 27 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the the Georgia Central Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at 1 AM 30 May, 1861.

Note: The Pulaski Volunteers was stationed in the vicinity of Buzzard Roost Ferry, on the Ocmulgee River, Twiggs County, Georgia, on 26 May, 1861, and arrived by the Waynesboro Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, on 28 May, 1861.

Lone Oak, Meriwether County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company D, 25-27 May, 1861: The Echols Guards was ordered to proceed by the Atlanta & West Point Railroad by Special Orders No.57, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 25 May, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861, and arrived at Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, at 8 AM the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlanta Railroad to Dalton, Whitfield County, Georgia, at 9.30 AM on 25 May, 1861, and arrived at at 4.30 PM the same day. The Echols Guards was ordered to proceed by the Georgia & Tennessee Railroad to Bristol, Sullivan County Tennessee, at 9 PM on 25 may, 1861, and arrived by the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad via Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, at 5 PM on 26 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, the same day and arrived at 4.30 AM on 27 May, 1861. The Echols Guards a was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 27 May, 1861.

Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company A, 27-30 May, 1861: The Rome Light Guards was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 6 PM on 27 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861, and arrived by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 29 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 30 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 8 PM the same day.

Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company C, 28-31 May, 1861: The Macon Guards was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Central Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.58, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 28 May, 1861, dated 24 May, 1861, and arrived arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 31 May, 1861.

Note: The Macon Guards arrived by the Waynesboro Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, on 29 May, 1861.

Maxeys, Richmond County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company K, 28-31 May, 1861: The Oglethorpe Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 28 May, 1861, dated 18 May, 1861, and arrived at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, in the evening the same day. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 31 May, 1861.

Note: The Macon Guards and the Oglethorpe Rifles arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 31 May, 1861, and were accompanied by the Independent Blues, the Beauregard Volunteers, the Butt (County) Volunteers, detachments of the Macon Volunteers and the Spaulding Greys, and the Governor's Guards.

Troops stationed at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Companies A, B, C, D, F, &, G, 1 June, 1861: Rome Light Guards; Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company A; Macon Guards; Echols Guards; Atlanta Greys; Pulaski Volunteers

Note: The Beauregard Volunteers (84), 6th Georgia Infantry, Company C, and the Letcher Guards (80), 10th Georgia Infantry, Company D, were stationed at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861.

Rome, Floyd County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company E, 29 May-1 June, 1861: The Miller Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.50, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, at 11 AM on 29 May, 1861, dated 15 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad in the evening on 1 June, 1861.

Mustered in for the war, Camp Bartow, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 21, 27, 28, 30, & 31 May & 2, 3, & 4 June, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry, Company B, was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Georgia, Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Captain J Scott, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 21 May, 1861; Company F for the war on 27 May, 1861; Company H for the war on 28 May, 1861; Company D for the war on 30 May, 1861; Company G for the war on 31 May, 1861; Company C for the war on 2 June 1861; Companies E and K for the war on 3 June 1861; and Company A for the war on 4 June, 1861.

Greensboro, Greene County, Georgia, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company I, 3-5 June, 1861: The Stephens Light Guards was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.51, Paragraph III, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 3 June, 1861, dated 16 May, 1861, and arrived by the Georgia Railroad at Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia, in the afternoon the same day. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 5 June, 1861.

Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, & K, 5-9 June 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and K, under the command of Colonel F S Bartow, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.63, Paragraph II, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM on 5 June, 1861, dated 4 June, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 6 June, 1861. Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and K were ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, at 2 PM the same day and arrived at Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 6 June, 1861. The 8th Georgia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and K, were ordered to proceed by the Valley Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 3 PM the same day. Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and K were ordered to proceed by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 11 AM on 9 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Defiance, on Bolivar Heights, one and a half miles west of Harpers Ferry, via Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM the same day.

Howard's Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies H & I, 6-10 June 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry, Companies H and I, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferrry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.65, Paragraph X, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 5 PM on 6 June, 1861, and arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad at Camp Defiance, on Bolivar Heights, one and a half miles west of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861.

Evacuation Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15 June 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry evacuated Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Smithfield, Charlestown & Harpers Ferry Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment arrived at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 June, 1861.

Note: The sick of the 8th Georgia Infantry were ordered to proceed by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 13 June, 1861, and the 8th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Johnston, on the Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 15 June, 1861.

Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, via Smithfield or Middleway, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, to Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Frederick County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Organisation of Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, 20 June, 1861: Acting Brigadier General & Colonel F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry; 7th Georgia Infantry, Colonel L J Gartrell; 8th Georgia Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel W M Gardener; 1st Tennessee Infantry, Colonel P Turney; 4th Alabama Infantry, Colonel E J Jones; 1st Kentucky Battalion Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel H B Duncan; 2nd Kentucky Battalion Sharpshooters, Acting Major & Captain J D Pope; Wise Artillery, Captain E G Alburtis; Staunton Artillery, Captain J D Imboden

Note: The 8th Georgia Infantry was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Colonel F S Bartow, 8th Georgia Infantry, at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, to Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 20 June, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry arrived at Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived via Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 3 July, 1861.

Darkesville, Berkeley County, to Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 7 July, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 11 AM on 7 July, 1861, and arrived at Hollingsworth Grove, east of the Millwood Turnpike, one mile southeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 8 PM the same day.

The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.1, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 18 July, 1861, dated 17 July, 1861.

Winchester, Frederick County, to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, 18-19 July, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Millwood Turnpike to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, at 9 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered across the Shenandoah River at Berry's Ferry, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Paris, Fauquier County, Virginia, via Ashby's Gap at 3 AM on 19 July, 1861. The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 5 AM the same day and arrived at 11 AM on 19 July, 1861.

Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19-20 July, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 9 PM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Virginia, at 6 AM on 20 July, 1861. The regiment was ordered to the rear between McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on Bull Run River, the same day.

Note: The 8th Georgia Infantry was stationed at the rear between McLean's and Blackburn's Fords, on Bull Run River, under the command of Brigadier General B E Bee, Confederate States Army, as support to the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 20 July, 1861 (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah).

After the first battle of Manassas the 8th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Victory, in the vicinity of the F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 21 and 31 July, 1861.

Vicinity of the F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford,on the Bull Run River, to Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 31 July, 1861: The 8th Georgia Infantry arrived at Camp Bartow, Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 31 July, 1861.

Note: The 8th Georgia Infantry was stationed at Camp Bartow, Smith's Farm, four miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 31 July and 11 September, 1861.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 8th Georgia Infantry surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Colonel F S Bartow, Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah: Captain F S Bartow, Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company A, was commissioned colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 1 June, June 1861, and was assigned to command the Second Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, at Camp Defiance, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Note: Captain W M Gardiner, 2nd United States Infantry, Company D, resigned at Fort Leavenworth, Leavenworth County, Kansas, on 19 January, 1861, and was appointed major, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 13 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861. Major W M Gardener, infantry, Confederate States Army, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 8th Georgia Infantry, on 8 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company B, 3 September, 1861: The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, Company B, under the command of Captain F W Sims, was organised Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia, and was mustered in Confederate service for twelve months on 3 September, 1861. The company was asigned to the 1st Georgia Infantry, Company H, and was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Pulaski, Cockspur Island, Georgia, between 28 September, 1861, and 10 April, 1862.

Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 September, 1861: Major General G W Smith, Confederate States Army, was assigned to the command of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.31, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861.

The 8th Georgia Infantry was was assigned to Second Brigade, Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General S A M Jones, Confederate States Army, on 25 September, 1861.