The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Camp Pickens, Army of the potomac

The 4th South Carolina Infantry working in the trenches at night at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Virginia

The 4th South Carolina Infantry working in the trenches during night at Camp Pickens, Prince William County, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia

Garrison at Camp Pickens

Stationed within the entrenchments at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 July 1861

COLONEL G H TERRETT, Provisional Army of Virginia
Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; the 7th Louisiana Infantry, the 7th Louisiana Infantry, the unattached companies of infantry, and the Battalion Heavy Artillery by Special Orders No. 92, Pragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Eighth Louisiana Infantry

Maj. J B Prados

Company A Creole Guards: CAPT. J L FREMAUX
Company B Bienville Rifles: CAPT. A LAROSE
Company C Attakapas Guards: CAPT. A DEBLANC
Company H Cheneyville Rifles: CAPT. P F KEARY

The 8th Louisiana Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.81, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861, and Companies A, B, C, and H, under the command of Major J B Prados, were stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the 8th Louisiana Infantry).

Unattached Companies

Unlettered Company Flint Hill Rifles: CAPT. W J Williams
The company was assigned to the 49th Virginia Infantry at Flint Hill, Rappahannock County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.124, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861 (See the 49th Virginia Infantry).
Unlettered Company Ewell Guards: CAPT. J B Norvell
The company was assigned to the 49th Virginia Infantry, at Brentsville Courthouse, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.124, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861 (See the 49th Virginia Infantry).
Unlettered Company Madison Artillery or Tips (Tipperarys): CAPT. G V Moody
The company was relieved from duty with the Battalion of Artillery and temporarily assigned to the 49th Virginia Infantry by Special Orders No.122, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the Battalion Heavy Artillery).

One hundred and Fifty-fifth Virginia Militia (Greene County)

Col. J F Offield

The Virginia Militia of Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Greene, Loudoun, Madison, Orange, Prince William, and Rappahannock Counties were ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by General Orders No.40, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County,Virginia, on 13 July, 1861, and the 155th Virginia Militia (Greene County) (283), under the command of Colonel J F Offield, was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861 (See the Virginia Militia).

Garrison Duty, 21-28 July, 1861

Thirteenth Virginia Infantry: Lieut. Col. J A Walker
The 13th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B (1st), C, and D, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J A Walker, were assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861 (See the 13th Virginia Infantry).
First Mississippi Battalion Infantry (Twenty-first Mississippi Infantry): Lieut. Col. W L Brandon
The 1st Mississippi Battalion Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W L Brandon, was assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.165, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861 (See the 21st Mississippi Infantry).
Third Georgia Battalion Infantry (Twentieth Georgia Infantry): Lieut. Col. W D Smith
The 3rd Georgia Battalion Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W D Smith, was assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.165, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861 (See the 20th Georgia Infantry).
Forty-ninth Virginia Infantry: Col. W Smith
The 49th Virginia Infantry was temporarily assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.179, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861 (See the 49th Virginia Infantry).

Fourth North Carloina State Troops

Colonel G B Anderson

The 4th North Carolina State Troops was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Hill, on the Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, on 28 June, dated, 2 July, 1861.

Note: The Iredell Blues, 30th North Carolina Militia, was ordered to Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina, on 21 April, 1861, and was stationed at Fort Caswell, on the eastern end of Oak Isalnd, at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, on 11 May, 1861. The Goldsboro or Wayne Volunteers and the Wilson Light Infantry were stationed at Fort Macon, on the eastern end of Bogue Banks, at the entrance to Topsail (Beaufort) Inlet, two miles southwest of Beaufort, Carteret County, North Carolina, under the command of Colonel J S Pender, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 23 April, 1861.

Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies A, C, F, G, & K, 20-21 July, 1861: The 4th North Carolina State Troops (575), Companies A, C, F, G, and K, under the command of Colonel G B Anderson, were ordered to proceed by the Weldon Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 20 July, 1861, and were accompanied by the Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D. Companies A, C, F, G, and K arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K, were stationed at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 21 and 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of 4th North Carolina State Troops, 28 June, 1861, dated 2 July, 1861: Colonel G B Anderson, Lieutenant Colonel J A Young, Major B Grimes; Iredell Blues, Company A, Captain A K Simonton; Scotch Ireland Greys, Company B, Captain J H Wood; Saltillo Boys, Company C, Captain J B Andrews; Goldsboro or Wayne Volunteers, Company D, Captain J B Whitaker; Southern Guards, Company E, Captain D M Carter; Wilson Light Infantry, Company F, Captain J S Barnes; Davie Sweepstakes, Company G, Captain W F Kelly; Iredell Independent Greys, Company H, Captain E A Osborne; Pamlico Riflemen, Company I, Captain W T Marsh; Rowan Rifle Guards, Company K, Captain F M Y McNeely

Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, C, F, G, & K, 25-27 July, 1861: The 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K, and the Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.232, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 27 July, 1861.

Note: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, and the 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K, were detained at Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 July, 1861.

Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies B, D, E, H, & I, 28-29 July, 1861: The 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies B, D, E, H, and I, were ordered to proceed by the Weldon Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861.

Note: The 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies B, D, E, H, and I, were stationed at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 29 July and 8 August, 1861.

Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies B, D, E, H, & I, 8-9 August, 1861: The 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies B, D, E, H, and I, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 8 August, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 August, 1861.

Rowan Artillery, Tenth North Carloina State Troops, Company D (First North Carolina Artillery, Light Company D)

Captain J Reilly

The Rowan Artillery, under the command of Captain J A Ramsay, was accepted in state service at Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina, on 8 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the North Carolina Railroad to Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, on 25 May, 1861, dated 23 May, 1861. The company arrived at Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, on 28 May, 1861.

Surrender of Fort Johnson, on the north bank of the Cape Fear River, Smithsville, Brunswick County, North Carolina, 16 April, 1861: Sergeant J Reilly, United States Ordnance Department, surrendered Fort Johnson, on the north bank of the Cape Fear River, Smithsville, Brunswick County, North Carolina, to Colonel J L Cantwell, 30th North Carolina Militia, at 4 PM on 16 April, 1861.

Note: The Wilmington Light Infantry, under the command of Captain W L DeRossett; the German Volunteers, under the command of Captain C Cornehlson; the Wilmington Rifle Guards, under the command of Captain O P Mears; and the Cape Fear Light Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenant J M Stevenson, were ordered to proceed by the steamer W W Harlee to Fort Johnson, on the north bank of the Cape Fear River, Smithsville, Brunswick County, North Carolina, under the command of Colonel J L Cantwell, 30th North Carolina Militia, in the morning on 16 April, 1861.

Organisation of Rowan Artillery, 8 May, 1861: Captain J A Ramsay, First Lieutenant W Myers, Junior First Lieutenant C M Black, Second Lieutenants W W Myers and J F Woodard

Note: First Lieutenant J Reilly, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, arrived at Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, on 30 June, 1861.

Weldon, Halifax County, to the Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, North Carolina, 3 July, 1861: The Rowan Artillery (81), 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, under the command of of Captain J Reilly, was stationed at Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, on 2 July, 1861, and was ordereed to proceed by the Seaboard & Roanoke Railroad to Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, on 3 July, 1861.

Note: Captain J A Ramsay and First Lieutenant J Reilly, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, were appointed first lieutenant and captain, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, respectively, at Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, on 30 June, 1861.

Mustered for the war, Camp Hill, on the Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, 16 July, 1861: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Hill, on the Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, on 16 July, 1861.

Note: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, acting as infantry, was temporarily assigned to the 4th North Carolina State Troops, stationed at Camp Hill, on the Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, on 30 June, 1861, and was listed as the 1st Regiment of Engineers, Artillery, and Ordnance, North Carolina State Troops, Company D, between 16 July and 31 August, 1861.

Seaboard & Ranoke Railroad, one mile southwest of Garysburg, Northampton County, North Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 20-21 July, 1861: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Weldon Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel G B Anderson, in the evening on 20 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, was stationed at Camp Fisher, Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 21 and 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, 16 July, 1861: Captain J Reilly, Senior First Lieutenant J A Ramsay, Junior First Lieutenant W W Myers, Senior Second Lieutenant J T Woodward, Junior Second Lieutenant W L Saunders

Rocketts Old Field, two miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 25-27 July, 1861: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, and the 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.232, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 27 July, 1861.

Note: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, and the 4th North Carolina State Troops, Companies A, C, F, G, and K, were detained at Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, in the morning on 26 July, 1861.

Note: The Rowan Artillery, 10th North Carolina State Troops, Company D, was designated as light artillery at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 August, 1861.

Sources

"We learn from a friend that the Irish Volunteers and Emmet Guards, stationed at Manassas Station, are in good spirits, and are having a good time generally."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 13 May, 1861 - War movements

"Among the troops yet at the Junction is the entire regiment of Col. Garland, made up almost entirely of companies from this city and country."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 28 June, 1861 - From Manassas Junction

Books/ Manuscripts

"Alexandria 5 July, 1876 - This is to certify that the above is a true copy of the first report that was made at Manassas on the 6th May 1861, under the command of Major C. Boyle. Geo. T. Whittington, Lt. and Adjt. Com'g & Q.M."

Morning Report of the Alexandria Battalion of Va. Vols. commanded by Major C. Boyle, 6 May, 1861

"Colonel Terrett was placed in command of a newly formed Fourth Brigade composed of Moore's, Garland's and Corse's regiments of Virginia volunteers (the 1st, 11th and 17th Regiments) on June 20, 1861, but the arrival of a newly commissioned Confederate brigadier, James Longstreet, brought about Terret's replacement. He commanded the troops at Camp Pickens, Manassas, including a naval battery under Capt. Isaac S. Sterrett, CSN, from about July 10 to August 22, 1861, when he resigned his Virginia commission."

Biographical sketches of the commissioned officers of the Confederate States Marine Corps, edited by David M Sullivan

"General G T Beauregard arrived at Manassas on the 1st day of June, and was placed in command of the army; the month passed in making the position as impregnable as possible. The work, in charge of Colonel Williamson, his chief of engineers, progressed rapidly; large earthworks and field fortifications, with wings and cover of rifle pits, and infantry works, sprang up on all sides. Details from different regiments in camp were daily employed in digging and ditching."

History of the Seventeenth Virginia infantry, C.S.A., by George Wise

"The works, armed with naval guns, were manned by the seamen already alluded to, and also by a force of State militia, which Governor Letcher had called out, at General Beauregard’s request."

"Some slight field-works constructed for the defense of the depot at Manassas Junction were armed with fourteen or fifteen old twenty-four-pounders on naval carriages, and occupied by two thousand men. The heavy artillery was under the command of naval officers."

Narrative of military operations directed, during the late War Between the states, by Joseph E Johnston

"At one time, when reports of evil omen and disaster reached Camp Pickens with such circumstantiality as to give reasonable grounds of anxiety, its commander, Colonel Terrett, the commander of the intrenched batteries, Captain Sterrett, of the C S Navy, and their officers, made the most efficient possible preparations for the desperate defense of that position in extremity; and in this connection I regret my inability to mention the names of those patriotic gentlemen of Virginia by the gratuitous labor of whose slaves the intrenched camp at Manassas had been mainly constructed, relieving the troops from that laborious service, and giving opportunity for their military instruction. Lieut. Col. Thomas H Williamson, the engineer of these works, assisted by Capt. D B Harris, discharged his duties with untiring energy and devotion as well as satisfactory skill."

"With Beauregard's army were several companies of Pickens' heavy artillery, numbering 293 officers and men, who were also not engaged."

The long arm of Lee or the history of the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia with a brief account of the Confederate Bureau of Ordnance, Volume I, by Jennings C Wise

"Land-locked Manassas seemed an unlikely place to find a naval battery, but in July 1861, cannon captured at the Norfolk Navy Yard stood ready to defend Manassas Junction."

Images of America, Manassas: A place of passage, by Kathleen Mulvaney

"Appreciating such a feeling in men of their position, new to arduous duties of that kind, and wishing to avoid whatever might at that moment cause disffection, general Beauregard abstained from employing them on any but the most essential works, and procured, as far as possible, negro labor, which was furnished at his call, by the comparatively small number of slave-owners of the Piedmont region of Virginia, with great readiness."

"On the 18th, having begun to receive from Norfolk the naval guns for which he had called, to arm the works at Manassas, General Beauregard made a requisition for naval officers to command those batteries and drill the recruits. They came with a number of sailors, bringing their gun-ropes, blocks, and tackles, and their exercises the terms 'port' and 'starboard,' novel in the field, were used as familiarly as on board a man-of-war."

The military operations of General Beauregard in the War Between the States, 1861 to 1865, including a brief personal sketch and a narrative of his services in the war with Mexico, 1846-8, Volume 1, by Alfred Roman

"Beauregard was busy fortifying, and concentrated his attention on Manassas itself rather than on the line of Bull Run. With the help of slave labour supplied by the neigbouring planters, he erected several considerable earthworks in front of the junction; later he place these under the command of Colonel Terrett, who was given about a thousand local militia to man the works, and some naval officers to see to the serving of the guns."

Bull Run: Its strategy and tactics, by R M Johnston

"A seccession of broken, wooded hills around the plateau, composed strong natural fortifications; and Beauregard’s engineers had cast up formidable artificial ones there. Among these, the most noted was the Naval Battery, composed of the heaviest Dahlgren guns, which the insurgents seized at the Gosport Navy Yard, and manned by seamen, commanded by officers of the National Navy who abanadoned their flag."

Pictorial history of the Civil War in the United States of America, Volume 1, by Benson John Lossing

"For several days I was unwell, and could not attend to duty, but being allowed to walk abour as leisure, I frequently strolled down to the Junction, to watch the progress of our preparations. A large redoubt about half a mile long, and a quarter wide, had been erected since my previous visit; it was at least ten feet high, and as many wide on the top, with a large ditch in front. The batteries at the angles were semicircular, with embrasures for four thirty-two-pounders, the mouths of which looked like black bull-dogs, protecting the road. In the interior were other works of greater or less magnitude, connected by covered ways, all well provided with ammunition and bomb-proof magazines. There were several smaller batteries placed in front on elavations, and the works altogether seemed formidable enough to protect the dépôt and stores, should the enemy penetrate so far."

Battlefields of the South, from Bull Run to Fredericksburgh, with sketches of Confederate commanders, and gossip of the camps, by an English combatant, Lieutenant of Artillery on the Field Staff, with two maps

"The Confederate force was distributed along Bull Run from Union Mills to the Stone Bridge (nearly eight miles), with reserves and a fortified position at or near the Junction."

The C.S.A., and the battle of Bull Run: A letter to an English friend, by J G Barnard

Confederate military history extended edition: A library of Confederate States history, in seventeen volumes, written by distinguished men of the South, edited by General Clement A Evans of Georgia

Heroes and martyrs of Georgia: Georgia's record in the Revolution of 1861, Volume 1, by James M Folsom

For home and honour: The story of Madison County, Virginia, during the War Between the States 1861-1865, by Harold R Woodward, Jr.

Notes

Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Headquarters, Potomac Department, Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 12.30 PM on 28 April, 1861, and was ordered to post at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, a force sufficient to defend that point against an attack likely to be made against it by troops from Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861.

Note: The Beauregard Rifles was mustered in state service at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 1 May, 1861 (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry).

Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, 5-12 May, 1861

Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 5 May, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria).

Alexandria to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery & Emmett Guards, 5 May, 1861: The Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery and the Emmett Guards were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861, and were stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Note: The Prince William Rifles and the Alexandria Artillery were stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861, and in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Morning report of Alexandria Battalion of Virginia Volunteers, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 6 May, 1861: Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia; Adjutant & Second Lieutenant G L Whittington, Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery (51); Emmett Guards (63), Captain J E Towsen; Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery (51), Captain T Triplett; Prince William Rifles (70), Captain A S Hamilton; Alexandria Artillery (76), Captain D Kemper

Note: A detachment of the Emmett Guards (23) and Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery (1) were on detached duty in the morning on 6 May, 1861, and the Alexandria Artillery was stationed at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.

F Hill's Farm, one & a half miles southwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Powhatan Troop, 8-9 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at F Hill's Farm, one and a half miles southwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 8 May, 1861. The company was accompanied by Lieutenant Colonel S Jones, assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of Virginia, and arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 9 May, 1861 (See Lay's Squadron Cavalry).

White Sulphur Springs, on the Rappahannock River, four miles southeast of Waterloo, Fauquier County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Black Horse Troop, 9 May, 1861: The Black Horse Troop was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 9 May, 1861, dated 8 May, 1861, and arrived in the evening on 9 May, 1861 (See Munford's Squadron Cavalry).

Note: The Powhatan Troop and the Black Horse Troop were stationed at White Sulphur Springs, on the Rappahannock River, four miles southeast of Waterloo, Fauquier County, in the evening on 8 May, 1861.

Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Rappahannock Cavalry, 11 & 12 May, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861, and at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861 (See Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry).

Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 9 May, 1861: A section of the Alexandria Artillery, under the command of Captain D Kemper, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia (See the Alexandria Artillery).

Note: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the morning on 12 May, 1861,

Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Lynchburg Rifle Greys, Lynchburg Home Guard, Southern Guards, & Fincastle Rifles, 10-12 May, 1861: The Lynchburg Rifle Greys, the Lynchburg Home Guard, the Southern Guards, and the Fincastle Rifles, under the command Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.32, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861, dated 9 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).

Troops stationed at & in the vicinity of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, (918), 12 May, 1861: Colonel Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia; Lynchburg Home Guards, Captain K Otey; Lynchburg Rifles Greys, Captain M S Langhorne; Southern Guards, Captain R C Saunders; Farmville Guards, Captain R A Booker; Prince William Rifles (60), Captain A S Hamilton; Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T Triplett; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen; Black Horse Troop (76), Captain W H Payne; section of Alexandria Artillery, Captain D Kemper, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Warrenton Rifles (88), Captain J Q Marr, at Bristoe Station, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry (57), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia

Note: The Powhatan Troop, under the command of Captain J F Lay, was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 9 and 11 May, 1861, and was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861.

Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, 12-23 May, 1861

Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861.

Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Spring Graden Blues, 21-22 May, 1861: The Spring Garden Blues arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861 (See the 18th Virginia Infantry).

C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Washington Volunteers, Company A, 22 May, 1861: The Washington Volunteers, Company A, arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

James River, east of Hollywood Cemetery, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 1st South Carolina Infantry, 23-24 May, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 23 May, 1861, dated 22 May, 1861, and was accompanied by Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army. The regiment arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry).

Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, 24-31 May, 1861

Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.95, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861.

Evacuation of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: The 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers, the Warren Rifles, the Loudoun Guards, and the Washington Mounted Guards or Fairfax Cavalry, evacuated Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 11 AM the same day (See the Garrison at Alexandria).

Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, 1 June, 1861

Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the Department of Alexandria at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.149, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manasas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 1 June, 1861. He arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 2 PM the same day.

Note: Brigdaier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the troops stationed at Fairfax County, Virginia, including the 2nd South Carolina Infantry and Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, the troops stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 1, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.81, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 7th Louisiana Infantry & 8th Louisiana Infantry, 1 July, 1861: The 7th Louisiana Infantry and the 8th Louisiana Infantry were assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.81, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861.

Special Orders No. 92, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, 5 July, 1861: Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; the 7th Louisiana Infantry, the 8th Louisiana Infantry, unattached companies of volunteers, and the Battalion Heavy Artillery by Special Orders No. 92, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861.

Special Orders No. 118, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Acting Provost Marshall & Major C Boyle, 16 July, 1861: Acting Provost Marshall & Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed provost marshall at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 118, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861.

Note: Acting Provost Marshall & Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Special Orders No.165, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 1st Mississippi Battalion Infantry & 3rd Georgia Battalion Infantry, 26 July, 1861: The 1st Mississippi Battalion Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W L Brandon, and the 3rd Georgia Battalion Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W D Smith, were assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.165, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 July, 1861 (See the 21st Mississippi Infantry).

Special Orders No.179, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 49th Virginia Infantry, 28 July, 1861: The 49th Virginia Infantry was temporarily assigned to garrison duty at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.179, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 28 July, 1861.

Special Orders No. 191, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Colonel H B Kelly, 8th Louisiana Infantry, 1 August, 1861: Colonel H B Kelly, 8th Louisiana Infantry, was assigned to command Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 191, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 August, 1861.

Note: Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was granted a leave of absence for one week by Special Orders No. 191, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 August, 1861, and his resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.138, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 August, 1861.

Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia: Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, resigned on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861. He was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 8 may, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861, and was assigned to command Alexandria and the troops from the counties of Alexandria, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Fauquier, Virginia, by Special Orders No.39, Paragraph I, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861. Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, evacuated Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 11 AM the same day. He was assigned to command the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No. 20, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and to command Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.92, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 July, 1861 (See the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac). Colonel G H Terrett, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed major, Confederate States Marine Corps, on 22 August, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the United States Marine Corps (40), under the command of Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Philadelphia to Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Mayland, in the afternoon on 5 January, 1861, and were assigned to garrison duty between 5 and 26 January, 1861. Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, was assigned to command Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Mayland, between 9 and 26 January, 1861, and Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, was ordered to the Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., on 9 January, 1861 (See the United States Marine Corps Battalion).

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.84, Part I: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp484-504
Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, Army of the Potomac, and resulting correspondence, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 14 October, 1861, dated Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 26 August, 1861