The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah

Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, 27th Virginia Infantry

Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, 27th Virginia Infantry

Twenty-seventh Virginia Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19 July, 1861. Stationed at the rear of Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL W W GORDON
W W Gordon was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, on 30 May, 1861. Colonel W W Gordon, 27th Virginia Infantry, resigned due to ill health on 14 October, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL J ECHOLS
J Echols was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861.

MAJOR A J GRIGSBY
A J Grigsby was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 12 June, 1861.

Company A Alleghany Light Infantry or Roughs: CAPT. T MCALLISTER
The company was accepted in state service at Covington, Alleghany County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Major & Quartermaster M G Harman, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 13th Virginia Infantry between 18 and 29 May, 1861 (See the 13th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 30 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant J Carpenter, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company A, was appointed adjutant, 27th Virginia Infantry, on 2 June, 1861. Captain T McAllister's, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company A, resignation due to ill health was accepted by Special orders No.129, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 August, 1861, and Adjutant & First Lieutenant J Carpenter was appointed captain, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company A, on 26 August, 1861. The company was designated the Alleghany Artillery on 31 October, 1861.
Company B Virginia Hibernians: CAPT. H H ROBERTSON
The company was accepted in state service at Jackson River, Alleghany County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 5th Virginia Infantry between 23 and 29 May, 1861 (See the 5th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 30 May, 1861.
Company C Alleghany Rifles: CAPT. L P HOLLOWAY
The company was accepted in state service at Jackson River, Alleghany County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861, and arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 26 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 10th Virginia Infantry between 27 and 29 May, 1861 (See the 10th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 30 May, 1861.
Company D Monroe Guards: CAPT. H S TIFFANY
The company was accepted in state service at Union, Monroe County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861, and was ordered to Staunton, Virginia, under the command of Captain H S Tiffany, on 13 May, 1861. The company arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 26 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd Virginia Infantry, under the command of Colonel J C Cummings, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, between 27 and 29 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 30 May, 1861 (See the 33rd Virginia Infantry). Captain H S Tiffany, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company D, was killed at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company E Greenbrier or Lewisburg Rifles: CAPT. R F DENNIS
The company was accepted in state service at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861, and was ordered to Staunton, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861. The company arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 15 May 1861, and was mustered in state service by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861, and arrived on 22 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 5th Virginia Infantry between 23 and 29 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry on 30 May, 1861 (See the 5th Virginia Infantry).
Company F Greenbrier Sharpshooters or Meadow Rifles: CAPT. S W BROWN
The company was accepted in state service at Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861, and arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 18 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, on (?) June, 1861, and Captain S W Brown, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, was discharged due to typhoid fever on 21 July, 1861. Drillmaster C R Norris, Virginia Military Institute Corps Cadets, was assigned as acting captain, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and Captain S W Brown, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, died on 22 August, 1861 (See the 1st Rockbridge Artillery). First Lieutenant G C Smith, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, was appointed captain, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company F, on 26 August, 1861.
Company G Shriver Greys: CAPT. D M SHRIVER
The company was accepted in state service at Wheeling, Ohio County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and proceeded by boat on the Ohio River to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 May, 1861. The company arrived at Gauley Bridge, Fayette County, via Parkersburg, Wood County, and Charleston, Kanawha County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861, and proceeded to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service by Captain M McDonald, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 26 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company G, on 31 May, 1861, and Captain D M Shriver's, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company G, resignation was accepted by Special Orders No.133, Paragraph XX, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 36th Virginia Battalion Cavalry, under the command of Major J W Sweeney, on (?) May, 1863.
Company H (1st) Old Dominion Greys: CAPT. W SHERRARD
The company was accepted in state service at Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 19 April, 1861, and was assigned to the 6th Virginia Infantry, Company G, between 19 April, and 29 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company H (1st), at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861, and Captain W Sherrard, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company H (1st), resigned at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 5 June, 1861. The company was disbanded in consequence of being below the minimum and not mustered in state service on 10 June, 1861.
Company H (2nd) Rockbridge Rifles: CAPT. S H LETCHER
The company was accepted in state service at Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia, on 18 April, 1861, and was ordered to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The company arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and was assigned to the 5th Virginia Infantry, Company B, on 8 May, 1861 (See the 5th Virginia Infantry). The company was mustered in state service for one year by Captain M McDonald, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and was assigned to the 4th Virginia Infantry, Company K, at Camp Johnston, Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 13 July, 1861 (See the 4th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company K (2nd), at the rear between Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, on 24 July, 1861.

Sources

"By order of Gen. Harman, the Rockbridge Rifles (Capt. Letcher) left today at 1 o'clock for Staunton. They number near 100 able-bodied men. This evening the Rockbridge Troop, (Capt. White,) 80 strong, leave for Staunton, and the Troop in the lower end of our county, (Capt. McNutt,) goes with them."

The Staunton Spectator, 20 April, 1861 - Troops in motion

"The company of infantry fron Greenbrier, under the command of Robert F. Dennis, and a company from Monroe, the 'Monroe Guard,' Capt. Tiffany, left their respective counties on Monday, and are expected here on Wednesday."

The Staunton Spectator, 14 May, 1861 - Military movements

"The following companies left this place during the past week:- On Saturday the 12th, Rockbridge Artillery, Capt. W. N. Pendleton; on Monday, the 13th, Staunton Rifles, Capt. Asher W. Harman, and West View Infantry, Capt. St. Francis C. Roberts; on Tuesday, Churchville Cavalry, Capt. Sterrett; on Wednesday, Alleghany Light Infantry, Capt. Thompsin McAllister, and Ready Rifles of Augusta, Capt. O. F. Grinnan; on Thursday, Rockbridge Greys, Capt. James G. Updike, and, on Saturday, about one hundred soldiers enlisted in the regular army. On Monday of this week, Greenbrier Rifles, Capt. Robert F. Dennis, and Hibernians, Capt. H. H. Robertson; on Tuesday, Monroe Guard, Capt. Tiffany, and Alleghany Rifles, Capt. Holloway. Other companies will leave in a few days."

The Staunton Spectator, 21 May, 1861 - Departure of troops

"At First Manassas he commanded the regiment, and was soon afterwards made its Colonel, (the health of Colonel W. W. Gordon having occasioned the resignation of that officer)."

The Confederate Veteran, Volume 4: Gen. John Echols, advocate and defender of the Confederacy pp316-317

"Norris and Cadet Charles C Wight were assigned to instruct the 27th Virginia Infantry."

"In its ranks as acting volunteer captains were Cadets Norris, Hempstead, Wight, and Moffett."

The young lions: Confederate cadets at war, by James Lee Conrad

"While Gordon was the official commander of the regiment until he resigned in October 1861, the actual command devolved upon Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, the 33 year old church elder who had organized the Monroe Guards and been a member of the Virginia Assembly that passed the ordinance of secession."

"The list of fatalities also included the name of C R Norris, acting captain of a company in the 27th Virginia Infantry on its fateful charge down Henry House Hill."

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series, Twenty-seventh Virginia Infantry, First Edition, No.476 of 1000, by L Reidenbaugh

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 72, Serial No.84: Record of events for Twenty-seventh Virginia Infantry, April 1861-October 1864, edited by James B Hewett

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861–1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

The 27th Virginia Infantry was organised as the 6th Virginia Infantry at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861, and was designated the 27th Virginia Infantry on 31 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Staunton, Augusta County, & Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 14, 15, 18, & 26 May, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry, Company A, was mustered in state service for one year at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Major & Quartermaster M G Harman, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 14 May, 1861; Companies B, C, D, and E for one year by Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 15 May, 1861; Company H (2nd) for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Captain M McDonald, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 15 May, 1861; Company F for one year Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 18 May, 1861; and Company G for one year at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by Captain M McDonald, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 26 May, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 23 April, Company H (1st), 1861: The Old Dominion Greys was stationed at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of Major General K Harper, Fifth Division, Virginia Militia, on 23 April, 1861.

Covington, Alleghany County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company A, 13 & 17 May, 1861: The Alleghany Light Infantry arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Ready Rifles and arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, via Manassas Junction, Prince William County, and Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861 (See the 5th Virginia Infantry).

Jackson River, Alleghany County, & Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies B & E, 15 & 22 May, 1861: The Virginia Hibernians and the Greenbrier or Lewisburg Rifles arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 May, 1861, and were accompanied by the Alleghany Rifles and the Monroe Guards. The Virginia Hibernians and the Greenbrier Rifles were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861, and arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad via Manassas Junction, Prince William County, and Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861.

Jackson River, Alleghany County, & Union, Monroe County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Companies C & D, 15 & 26 May, 1861: The Alleghany Rifles and the Monroe Guards arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J Echols, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 May, 1861, and were accompanied by the Virginia Hibernians and the Greenbrier or Lewisburg Rifles. The Alleghany Rifles and the Monroe Guards were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861, and arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad via Gordonsville, Orange County; Manassas Junction; and Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 26 May, 1861.

Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company F, 17 & 20 May, 1861: The Greenbrier Sharpshooters arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad via Manassas Junction, Prince William County, and Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.

Wheeling, Ohio County, to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company G, 18-23 May, 1861: The Shriver Greys was ordered to proceed by boat on the Ohio River to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 18 May, 1861, and arrived at Gauley Bridge, Fayette County, via Parkersburg, Wood County, and Charleston, Kanawha County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861. The company was ordered to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861, and arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.

Note: The Shriver Greys was stationed at the Armory Buildings, on Potomac Street, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861, and the Alleghany Light Infantry, the Virginia Hibernians, the Alleghany Rifles, the Monroe Guards, the Greenbrier or Lewisburg Rifles, the Greenbrier Sharpshooters, and the Shriver Greys were assigned to the 27th (6th) Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, H (1st), repectively, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861.

Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 1 June, 1861: The 2nd Virginia Infantry, the 4th Virginia Infantry, 5th Virginia Infantry, 27th Virginia Infantry, and the 1st Rockbridge Artillery were assigned to Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army Virginia, at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Disbanded at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, Company G, 30 May, 1861: Captain W Sherrard, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company H (1st), resigned at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 5 June, 1861, and the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company H (1st), was disbanded in consequence of being below the minimum and not mustered in state service on 10 June, 1861.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Bolivar Heights, one and a half miles west of Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, and Company A to Maryland Heights, opposite Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861.

Evacuation Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, 15 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry evacuated Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Smithfield, Charlestown & Harpers Ferry Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, the same day. The regiment arrived at Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 15 June, 1861.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was stationed at Camp Johnston, on the Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, in the evening on 15 June, 1861.

Berryville & Charleston Turnpike, on the North or South Fork of Bull Skin Run, three or four miles west of Charlestown, Jefferson County, to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 16 June, 1861, and arrived at Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, via Smithfield or Middleway, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Mill Creek, a quarter of a mile north of Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, to Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Frederick County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg Turnpike to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, at Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, to the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry arrived at Camp Johnston, Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 June, 1861.

Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, 19-20 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Marinsburg Turnpike to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 19 June, 1861, and arrived at Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 11 PM same day. The regiment was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 June, 1861.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to destroy the rolling stock of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and was stationed in the vicinity of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Martinsburg to Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg Turnpike, two & a half miles south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike to Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Stephens, Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, two and a half miles south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, the same day.

Skirmish between W Hills & W Port(a)erfield's Farms, west of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, one & a half miles southwest of Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was assigned to guard the baggage at Camp Stephens, Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, two and a half miles south of Hainesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, during the skirmish at W Hills and W Port(a)erfield's Farms, west of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, one and a half miles southwest of Falling Waters, Berkeley County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 2 July, 1861.

Four Mile Woods or Myer's Orchard, east of the Martinsburg & Williamsport Turnpike, two & a half miles south of Hainesville, to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 2-3 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry arrived at Snodgrass or Big Spring, on the Marinsburg Turnpike, one and a half miles south of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the evening on 2 July, 1861, and was ordered to Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the morning on 3 July, 1861.

Darkesville, Berkeley County, to Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 7-8 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 7 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Carter, Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, Frederick County, via Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 8 July, 1861.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was stationed five miles north of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, in the evening on 7 July, 1861.

Stephenson's Station, on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad, four miles northeast of Winchester, to the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 10 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 10 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Johnston, Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 12 AM the same day.

The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.1, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 18 July, 1861, dated 17 July, 1861.

Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society Fairgrounds, one mile northwest of Winchester, Frederick County, to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, 18-19 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Millwood Turnpike to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived at Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, at 9 PM the same day. The regiment arrived at Paris, Fauquier County, Virginia, via Ashby's Gap at 1 AM on 19 July, 1861, and was ordered to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 3 AM same day. The 27th Virginia Infantry arrived at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 19 July, 1861.

Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4 PM the same day.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Blackburn's & Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River,19 & 20 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered to the Bull Run River in the evening on 19 July, 1861, and to the rear between Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 20 July, 1861.

Note: The 27th Virginia Infantry was stationed at the rear between Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, as support to the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the 27th Virginia Infantry was stationed at the rear between Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 4th Virginia Infantry, Company K, was assigned to the 27th Virginia Infantry, Company H (2nd), between Blackburn's and Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, on 24 July, 1861 (See the 4th Virginia Infantry).

Blackburn's & Mitchell's Fords, on the Bull Run River, to three miles east of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 27 July, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry was ordered three miles east of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 July, 1861.

Three miles east of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 2 August, 1861: The 27th Virginia Infantry arrived at Camp Harman, one mile east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 2 August, 1861.

Reorganised at Conrad's Store, on Elk Run Creek, Rockingham County, Virginia, 23 April, 1862: The 27th Virginia Infantry was reorganised at Conrad's Store, on Elk Run Creek, Rockingham County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 27th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Captain F C Wilson, 27th Virginia Infantry, Company D, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah: Major T J Jackson, Virginia Military Institute, was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 21 April, 1861, and arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 22 April, 1861. He proceeded by the Virginia Central Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 9 AM the same day and arrived via Charlottesville, Albemarle County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 23 April, 1861. Major T J Jackson, Virginia Military Institute, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army Virginia, and ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861. Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army Virginia, was accompanied by Adjutant General J Preston and Inspector General J Massie, Confederate States Army, and arrived at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 28 April, 1861. He was ordered to proceed by the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, at 2.30 PM on 29 April, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day. Colonel T J Jackson, Provisional Army Virginia, was assigned to command the troops stationed in and around Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, by General Orders No.23, Division Headquarters, Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 30 April, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861, dated 8 July, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General J E Johnston, Confederate States Army, arrived at Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.

Provisional Army of Virginia, 23 April, 1861: The Provisional Army of Virginia was organised under a Virginia Ordnance on 23 April, 1861, dated 27 April, 1861.

Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 September, 1861: Major General G W Smith, Confederate States Army, was assigned to the command of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.31, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861.

The 27th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Second Corps, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, on 25 September, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.11: Series I, Volume 2, (Serial No.2), pp185-186
Colonel T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, dated Darkesville, Berkeley County, Virginia, 3 July, 1861

Official REPORT No.82: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp481-482
Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, dated in the vicinity of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861