The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Second Division

Captain C Griffin, Fifth United States Artillery, Light Company D

Captain C Griffin, Fifth United States Artillery, Light Company D

Fifth United States Artillery, Light Company D

Arrived at Washington, D. C., 2 February, 1861

CAPTAIN C GRIFFIN
First Lieutenant C Griffin, 2nd United States Artillery, Company G, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated 25 April, 1861, and captain, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 25 April, 1861 (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Company G).

Section: Second LT. A AMES, Second United States Artillery
Cadet A Ames was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and first lieutenant, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.65, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 23 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Two 10 pounder Parrott rifles, M1861

Section: SECOND LT. C E HAZLETT, Second United States Cavalry
Cadet C E Hazlett was appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company D, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and first lieutenant, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.65, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 23 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Two 10 pounder Parrott rifles, M1861

Section: Second LT. H C HASBROUcK, Fourth United States Artillery
Cadet H C Hasbrouck was appointed second lieutenant, 4th United States Artillery, Company A, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861, and first lieutenant, 4th United States Artillery, Company L, by General Orders No.64, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Two 12 pounder field howitzers, M1841

Note: Second Lieutenant G A Kensel, 4th United States Artillery, was appointed first lieutenant, 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, by General Orders No.24, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 May, 1861, dated March, 1861, and was appointed first lieutenant, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. H B Reed and L M Harrison were appointed second lieutenants, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant G A Kensel, 4th United States Artillery, Light Company F, and Second Lieutenants H B Reed and L M Harrison, 5th United States Artillery, was assigned were assigned to the 5th United States Artillery, Company D, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Statement of artillery lost: Three 10 pounder Parrott rifles, two 12 pounder field howitzers, M1841

Sources

"A dragoon detachment of United States troops, acting as a light battery, embracing seventy-five men and seventy-eight horses and four commissioned officers, arrived here in the morning, and are quartered upon Judiciary square, back of City Hall."

The New York Hearld, 4 February, 1861

"The following is a list of the companies at present in the city, with their numbers and places where quartered: Company A, Second Artillery, ninety-one men, under command of Captain Barry, is quartered at the arsenal. Company I, First Artillery, ninety-two men, under command of Lieutenant Fry, is quartered at the corner of Eighteenth and G streets. The detachment of Dragoons, acting as light infantry, seventy-two men, commanded by Lieutenant Griffin, is stationed near City Hall. Company H, Second Artillery, seventy-eight men, Colonel Brooks in command, is quartered on seventeenth street, opposite the War Department. Company D, First Artillery, fifty-four men, under command of Major Haskins, is quartered on B street north, near First street east. Company K, Second Artillery, seventy-eight men, is quartered on E street, near Sixth. Company E, Second Artillery, ninety-two men, under command of Captain Elzey, is quartered in south wing of the Treasury building. The detachment of Dragoons, from Carlisle barracks, forty-two men, under Lieutenant Holliday, is quartered in Burch's stable, at the corner of Fourteenth and D streets. The corps of sappers andd miners, from West Point, sixty-four men, under Lieutenant Duane, are at the Columbian Armory. Companies A, of the Second, I, of the First, and the detachment of dragoons from West Point, are accompanied by light batteries. The remainder are all acting as infantry, with the exception of the dragoons from Carlisle."

The National Republican, 9 February, 1861 - United States troops now in the city

"The West Point Battery, Lieut. Chas. Griffin, of Ohio, commanding, is quartered in the house with the first named company, and their horses are at the temporarily created stables near the City Hall, at one end of which their battery is 'parked'."

The Philadelphia Inquirer, 29 April, 1861 - The Regulars

"Yesterday afternoon, the Massachusetts Ninth, Col. Cass, and Griffin's battery, stationed at the City Hall, departed for the other side of the river. The latter were provided with rifle guns - tweleve pounders - an extra amount of ammunition, and an additional number of horses."

The Evening Star, 15 July, 1861 - Movement of troops

"Griffin's battery, stationed at the City Hall, departed for the other side of the river, at five o'clock yesterday afternoon. They were provided with rifle guns - tweleve pounders - an extra quantity of ammunition, and an additional number of horses."

The National Republican, 15 July, 1861 - Gone to Virginia

"Feb 2, 1861, Saturday, the commissioners left Washington. At the President street station they passed a long train, with pieces of artillery, caissons, horses, and the equipage of a light battery, followed by three cars full of soldiers. This was the West Point battery, which had left the Military Academy the day before, commanded by Lieut. Charles Griffin, afterwards a Division and Corps commanderoften mentioned in these pages."

History of the Fifth Massachusetts Battery, organised 3 October, 1861, mustered out 12 June, 1865, by Luther E Cowles

"That man was one of the regular army dragoons from West Point whom Lieutenant Charles Griffin had organised into the flying battery that went to Washington for Lincoln's inauguration."

Custer: The life of General George Armstrong Custer, by Jay Monaghan

The spirit of old West Point, 1858-1862, by Morris Schaff

Biographical register of officers and graduates of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N.Y., from its establishment, 16 March, 1802, to the Army reorganisation of 1866-67, by Bvt. Major General George W Cullum, Colonel, Corps of Enginers, U.S. Army

Notes

First Lieutenant C Griffin, 2nd United States Artillery, Company G, was ordered to organise a light company with a detachment of United States Dragoons by Orders No.3, Headquarters Military Academy, West Point Military Academy, Orange County, New York, on 7 January, 1861.

West Point Military Academy, Orange County, New York, to Washington, D. C., 31 January-2 February, 1861: The West Point Light Artillery was ordered to Washington, D. C., on 31 January, 1861, and arrived at 6 PM on 2 February, 1861.

Note: The West Point Light Artillery was stationed at Judiciary Square, in the vicinity of City Hall, Washington, D. C., on 2 and 9 February, 1861, and in a house between the War Department and Fort Lawson, a mansion west of the War Department, Washington, D. C., on 29 April, 1861.

Abstract from returns of the Department of Washington, Colonel J F K Mansfield, United States Army, commanding, 30 April, 1861: The West Point Light Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenant C Griffin, 2nd United States Artillery, Company G, was stationed at Washington, D. C., on 30 April, 1861.

West Point Military Academy, Orange County, New York, 6 May, 1861: Cadets A Ames, C E Hazlett, and H C Hasbrouck arrived at Washington, D. C., on 6 May, 1861, and were appointed second lieutenant, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G; second lieutenant, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company D; and second lieutenant, 4th United States Artillery, Company A, respectively, by General Orders No.21, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 17 May, 1861, dated 6 May, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant C Griffin, 2nd United States Artillery, Company G, was appointed captain, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, on 25 April, 1861, and was assigned to the 5th United States Artillery on 14 May, 1861. Second Lieutenant A Ames, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company G, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 4th Maine Infantry, at Rockland, Maine, Knox County, on 8 May, 1861, but delined or resigned and was appointed first lieutenant, 5th United States Artillery, by General Orders No.65, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 23 August, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861 (See the 4th Maine Infantry).

Rockville Expedition, 10-30 June, 1861

The West Point Light Artillery was stationed at Washington, D. C., on 9 June, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland, 10 June, 1861: A section of the West Point Light Artillery, under the command of Second Lieutenant H C Hasbrouk, 4th United States Artillery, Company A, was ordered to Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland, under the command of First Lieutenant A Piper, 3rd United States Artillery, Company I, to secure the area of Maryland along the Potomac River northwest of Washington, D. C., on 10 June, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM the same day (See the Rockville Expedition).

Rockville to Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, Section, 14-15 June, 1861: A section of the West Point Light Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Poolesville Road to Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, in the morning on 14 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 17th Pennsylvania Infantry (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington). The section of the West Point Light Artillery arrived at Camp Stone, at the junction of Edwards and Conrads or Whites Ferries Roads, in the vicinity of Poolesville, Poolesville, via Darnestown, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861.

Note: One 12 pounder field howitzer of the West Point Light Artillery, under the command of Second Lieutenant H C Hasbrouck, 4th United States Artillery, Company A, was ordered to Edwards Ferry, on the Potomac River, in the evening on 15 June, 1861, and one 12 pounder field howitzer was stationed at Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 27 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.109, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., 30 June, 1861: Colonel C P Stone, 14th United States Infantry, was ordered to Martinsburg, Berkeley County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.109, Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., on 30 June, 1861.

Washington, D. C., 3-4 July, 1861

A section of the West Point Light Artillery was stationed at Seneca Mills, on Seneca Creek, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 2 July, 1861.

Seneca Mills, on Seneca Creek, Montgomery County, Maryland, to Georgetown, D. C., 3-4 July, 1861: A section of the West Point Light Artillery was stationed at Seneca Mills, on Seneca Creek, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 2 July, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the afternoon on 3 July, 1861. The section of the West Point Light Artillery was accompanied by the 2nd District of Columbia Militia Battalion Infantry, a detachment of the 3rd District of Columbia Militia Battalion Infantry, and the President's Mounted Guards and arrived at Washington, D. C., in the morning on 4 July, 1861 (See the District of Columbia Militia, Department of Washington).

Fifth United States Artillery, Light Company D

The West Point Light Artillery was redesignated the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, at Washington, D. C., on 4 July, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was assigned to the First Brigade, Second Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel A Porter, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

City Hall, north end of Four & a half Street, Washington, D. C., to Alexandria County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered across the Potomac River at Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 5 PM on 14 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to proceed by the Columbia Turnpike to Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived at the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, near Arlington Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day. The company arrived at Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 16 July, 1861, and was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861. The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, arrived by the Little River Turnpike at Fairfax Courthouse via Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 PM the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 18 July, 1861. The company arrived near the Warrenton Turnpike, two miles east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 4.30 AM the same day. The company was ordered to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 5.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 9.30 AM the same day.

Order of march, 21 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D; the United States Marine Corps Battalion; the 27th New York Infantry; the 14th New York State Militia Infantry; the 8th New York State Militia Infantry; the United States Battalion Infantry; and the United States Battalion Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at Washington, D. C., via Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 22 July, 1861.

The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, and the the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, were assigned to garisson duty at Fort Albany, Arlington Heights, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Note: First Sergeant J Murphy, United States Dragoons, was part of a detachment organised as the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, on 7 January, 1861, and the 5th United States Artillery was organised as light artillery with twelve companies on 4 May, 1861.

Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, near the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, 29 July, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G, and the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, under the command of Captain C Griffin, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, were stationed at Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, near the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Light Company G).

Note: The 1st Massachusetts Infantry was stationed at Fort Albany, on Prospect Hill, near the tollgate on the Columbia Turnpike, on 29 July, 1861 (See the 1st Massachusetts Infantry).

Statement of artillery, Brevet Major & Chief of Atillery H J Hunt, 29 July, 1861: One 10 pounder Parrott rifle; One hundred & twenty men

Organisation of 5th United States Artillery, 18 June, 1861: Colonel H Brown, Lieutenant Colonel T W Sherman, Majors T Williams, H J Hunt, W F Barry; Company A, Captain G W Getty; Company B, Captain J A Hardie; Company C, Captain T Seymour; Company D, Captain C Griffin; Company E, Captain S F Chalfin; Company F, Captain R B Ayres; Company G, Captain R Arnold; Company H, Captain W R Terrill; Company I, Captain S H Weed; Company K, Captain J R Smead; Company L, Captain H V De Hart; Company M, Captain J McKnight

General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., 18 June, 1861: Captain G W Getty, 4th United States Artillery, Company E, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company A, by General Orders No.33, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 4 November, 1853; Captain J A Hardie, 3rd United States Artillery, Company G, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company B, dated 5 October, 1857; Captain T Seymour, 1st United States Artillery, Company G, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Comapny C, dated 22 November, 1860; Captain C Griffin, 2nd United States Artillery, Company B, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Comapny D, dated 25 April, 1861; Captain S F Chalfin, 1st United States Artillery, Company F, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company E, dated 27 April, 1861; First Lieutenant R B Ayres, 3rd United States Artillery, Company F, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company F, dated 14 May, 1861; First Lieutenant R Arnold, 3rd United States Artillery, Company H, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company G, dated 14 May, 1861; First Lieutenant W R Terrill, 4th United States Artillery, Company C, appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company H, dated 14 May, 1861; First Lieutenant S H Weed, 4th United States Artillery, Company K, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Company I, dated 14 May, 1861; First Lieutenant J R Smead, 2nd United States Artillery, Company D, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company K, dated 14 May, 1861; First Lieutenant H V De Hart, 3rd United States Artillery, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company L, dated 14 May, 1861; and Captain J McKnight, 25th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company A, was appointed captain, 5th United States Artillery, Light Company M, dated 14 May, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant H V De Hart, 3rd United States Artillery, was stationed at Fort Vancouver, on the Columbia River, Washington Territory, on 11 April, 1861, and at Presidio of San Francisco, San Francisco, San Francisco County, California, on 14 May, 1861.

Colonel A Porter, First Brigade, 16th United States Infantry, Second Division, McDowell's Army: Captain & Brevet Lieutenant Colonel A Porter, United States Mounted Riflemen, was appointed colonel, 16th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Note: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, was assigned as Provost Guard at Washington, D. C., under the command of Colonel A Porter, 16th United States Infantry, on 30 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.38: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp394
Captain C Griffin, Fifth United States Artillery, dated near Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.32: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp353-356
Colonel A Porter, Sixteenth United States Infantry, First Brigade, Second Division, McDowell's Army, dated Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.31: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp382-383
Colonel D Hunter, Third United States Cavalry, Second Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 5 August, 1861