The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Second Division

Brevet Major J Zeilin, United States Marine Corps Battalion, Company A

Brevet Major J Zeilin, United States Marine Corps, Company A

United States Marine Corps Battalion

Four companies present at the first battle of Bull Run

MAJOR J G REYNOLDS
Major J G Reynolds was appointed lieutenant colonel, United States Marine Corps, on 26 July, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.

Company A: CAPT. J ZEILEN
Brevet Major & Captain J Zeilen was appointed major, United States Marine Corps, on 26 July, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.
Company B: CAPT. J H JONES
First Lieutenant J H Jones was appointed captain, United States Marine Corps, on 7 May, 1861.
Company C: FIRST LT. A RAMSEY
First Lieutenant A Ramey was appointed captain, United States Marine Corps, on 26 July, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.
Company D: SECOND LT. W H CARTER
Second Lieutenant W H Carter was asssigned to command the United States Marine Corps Battalion, Company D, on 14 July, 1861, and was appointed first lieutenant, on 1 September, 1861.

One hundred and ten seamen and forty United States Marine Corps, under the command of First Lieutenant F A Parke, Jr., United States Navy, were assigned to build platforms to mount a naval battery of three 9 inch pieces and five howitzers at Fort Ellsworth, on Shuter's Hill, near Alexandria, Virginia, in July 1861.

Seizure of Warrington Navy Yard, 12 January 1861

Captain J Armstrong, United States Navy

A detachment of thirty-four men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Captain J Watson, were stationed at the Warington Navy Yard, near Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, on 11 January, 1861.

Seizure of Warrington Navy Yard, near Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, 12 January, 1861: A detachment of five companies of the 2nd Alabama Volunteer Corps and the Pensacola Rifle Rangers, the Pensacola Guards, and the Pensacola or Warrington Artillery, under the command of Colonel T C Lomax, 2nd Alabama Volunteer Corps, were ordered to seize the Warington Navy Yard, near Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, at 11 AM on 12 January, 1861, and Captain J Armstrong, United States Navy, surrendered the same day (See the 11th Mississippi Infantry).

Note: The detachment of thirty-four men of the United States Marine Corps embarked on the storeship Supply on 13 January, 1861.

Warington Navy Yard, near Warrington, Escambia County, Florida, to Brooklyn Navy Yard, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, 16 January-4 February, 1861: The detachment of thirty-four men of the United States Marine Corps was ordered to proceed by the storeship Supply to the Brooklyn Navy Yard, Brooklyn (Kings County), New York City, New York, in the morning on 16 January, 1861, and arrived on 4 February, 1861.

Note: Captain J Watson, United States Marines Corps, was ordered to Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, on 13 January, 1861.

Sources

"The other two companies on their arrival at Baltimore, proceeded at once to Fort McHenry, which they occupy now, and the U. S. marines sent to that post from the U. S. marine headquarters here, are relieved from duty there, and returned to Washington on Saturday night."

The Evening Star, 14 January, 1861 - Arrival of U. S. troops

"Early on Saturday morning, a detachment of fifty artillerymen, from New York arrived here, and immediately embarked for Fort Washington, where they relieved the Corps of Marines, who have been garrisoning that part for the past few weeks."

The National Republican, 28 January, 1861 - Movement of troops

"You will be pleased to detail from the barracks four companies of eighty men each, the whole under the command of Major Reynolds, with the necessary officers, non-commissioned officers and musicians, for temporary field service under Brig. General McDowell, to whom Major Reynolds will report. General McDowell will furnish the Battalion with camp equipage, provisions, etc."

"So tomorrow morning will see me and five other Liuets. with 300 Marines (raw recruits in every sense of the term) on our way to Fairfax Court House to take part in a bloody battle which is to take place, it is thought, about Wednesday."

"Major Nicholson, the Staff Adjutant and Inspector, was assigned as Adjutant of the battalion."

"A battalion of four companies of the United States Marine Corps was ordered to duty with the McDowell's Army on 15 July, 1861. Some of the Marines were enlisted as recently as 8 July but the majority of the battalion was enlisted during May and June."

"The Marine Battalion, the designated infantry support to Griffin's Battery, was collecting stragglers and would soon be ready to resume its assigned duty."

The United States Marine Corps in the Civil War: The first year, by David M Sullivan

Notes

One hundred and sixty-four men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Major G H Terrett, First Lieutenants A S Nicholson and G Holmes, and Second Lieutenants C L Sayres and B K Howell, were stationed at the Marine Barracks, on the corner of Eighth and I Streets, Washington, D. C., on 26 January, 1861.

Note: Second Lieutenant C L Sayres, United States Marine Corps, resigned on 14 February, 1861, and First Lieutenant G Holmes and Second Lieutenant B K Howell, United States Marine Corps, on 28 February, 1861.

Washington Navy Yard

A detachment of thirty-seven men of the United States Marine Corps, a detachment of thirty-four men of the United States Ordnance Department, the Washington Light Battalion Infantry, Company A, under the command of Captain L Towers; the Union Volunteers or Regiment, Company C, under the command of Captain G W Miller; and the Turner Rifles, Company A, under the command of Captain J Gerhardt, were stationed at the Navy Yard, Washington, D. C., under the command of Acting Commandant & Captain J A Dahlgren, United States Navy, on 22 April, 1861.

Note: Captain F Buchanan, United States Navy, was appointed commandant of the Navy Yard, Washington, D. C., on 31 May, 1859, and resigned on 22 April, 1861, dated 22 May, 1861.

Navy Yard Bridge, on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac River or Anacostia River, 24 April, 1861: A detachment of ten men of the Ringgold Light Artillery with one 12 pounder howitzer and a detachment of the United States Marine Corps with one howitzer were stationed at the Navy Yard Bridge, on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac River or Anacostia River, on 24 April, 1861 (See the 25th Pennsylvania Infantry).

Fort Washington

On the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland

Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, 5-9 January, 1861: A detachment of fifty men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett and First Lieutenant J E Meiere, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Philadelphia to Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland, in the afternoon on 5 January, 1861, and were assigned to garrison duty between 5 and 26 January, 1861. Brevet Major & Captain G H Terrett, United States Marine Corps, was ordered to the Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., on 9 January, 1861, and resigned on 25 April, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria).

Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, 9-26 January, 1861: Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, was assigned to command Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland, between 9 and 26 January, 1861, and a detachment of United States Marine Corps, under the command of Second Lieutenant G P Houston, arrived at Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland, on 18 January, 1861. The detachment of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Captain A S Taylor, was ordered to the Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., in the afternoon on 26 January, 1861, and Captain A S Taylor, United States Marine Corps, resigned on 25 April, 1861, dated 8 May, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria).

First Lieutenant D D Perkins, 4th United States Artillery, Company E, 26 January, 1861: A detachment of fifty United States Artillery Recruits, under the command of First Lieutenant D D Perkins, 4th United States Artillery, Company E, was ordered to Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland, at 3 PM on 25 January, 1861, and arrived in the morning on 26 January, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Note: First Lieutenant G W C Lee, United States Corps Engineers, and Second Lieutenants T B Edelin and C A Reynolds, 7th United States Infantry and 9th United States Infantry, respectively, were stationed at Fort Washington, on the Potomac River, Prince George's County, Mayland, on 6 February, 1861.

1st United States Artillery, Company D, 15 April, 1861: The 1st United States Artillery, Company D, acting as infantry, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain J A Haskin, arrived at Fort Washington, Prince George's County, Mayland, on 15 April, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Fort McHenry

near Locust Point, Baltimore City, Maryland

First Lieutenant A Hayes, United States Marine Corps, 8-13 January, 1861: A detachment of thirty men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of First Lieutenant A Hayes, was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, to Fort McHenry, near Locust Point, Baltimore City, Maryland, at 4 PM on 8 January, 1861, and arrived by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad via Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, in the morning on 9 January, 1861. The detachment of thirty men of the United States Marine Corps was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 7 PM on 12 January, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at 6 AM on 13 January, 1861 (See the Garrison at Fort McHenry, Department of Annapolis).

Fort McHenry, near Locust Point, Baltimore City, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 1 February, 1861: A detachment of one hundred and twenty men of the United States Marine Corps was stationed at Fort McHenry, near Locust Point, Baltimore City, Maryland, on 31 January, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 1 February, 1861.

Note: The 2nd United States Artillery, Companies H and K, under the command of Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Major H Brooks, 2nd United States Artillery, accompanied a detachment of one hundred and twenty men of the United States Marine Corps to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 1 February, 1861 (See the United States Army, Department of Washington).

Evacuation of Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, 20 April, 1861

Captain C S McCauley, United States Navy

Garrison at Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, 20 April, 1861: A detachment of sixty-six men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J N Edelin, were stationed at the Marine Barracks, Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia; a detachment of thirty-five men, under the command of Captain J C Rich, on the receiving ship Pennsylvania; and a detachment of forty-four men, under the command of Captain M R Kintzing, on the steamer Cumberland, on 20 April, 1861.

Note: Captain J C Rich was dismissed on 22 May, 1861.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, 18-20 April, 1861: A detachment of fifty of the United States Marine Corps and sailors with four 12 pounder Howitzers, under the command of First Lieutenant J Lewis, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Keystone State to Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, under the command of Captain S F DuPont, United States Navy, in the evening on 18 April, 1861, and arrived on 20 April, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, 19-20 April, 1861: A detachment of one hundred men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of First Lieutenant A S Nicholson, were ordered to proceed by the frigate Pawnee to Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, under the command of Commodore H Paulding, United States Navy, in the evening on 19 April, 1861, and arrived at Fortress Monroe, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, in the afternoon on 20 April, 1861. The frigate Pawnee was ordered to Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, at 6.45 PM the same day and arrived at 8 PM on 20 April, 1861.

Note: A detachment of three hundred and fifty men of the 3rd Massachusetts Infantry, under the command of Colonel D W Wardrop, were assigned to duty on the frigate Pawnee at Fortress Monroe, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, at 6 PM on 20 April, 1861.

Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard, on the Elizabeth River, near Portsmouth, Virginia, to Washington, D. C., 21-23 April, 1861: The frigate Pawnee towing the steamer Cumberland and the the steamer Keystone State were ordered to Washington, D. C., at 4 AM on 21 April, 1861, and arrived at Fortress Monroe, Old Comfort Point, Hampton, Virginia, the same day. The steamer Cumberland was anchored at Sewell's Point, on Hampton Roads, near Norfolk, Virginia, the same day and the frigate Pawnee and steamer Keystone State were ordered to Washington, D. C., at 7.30 AM on 22 April, 1861. The frigate Pawnee and steamer Keystone State arrived at the Navy Yard, Washington, D. C., on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac River or Anacostia River, at 2 PM on 23 April, 1861.

Note: The detachment of thirty-five men of the United States Marine Corps, under the command of Captain J C Rich, were assigned to the frigate Pawnee and the detachment of sixty-six men, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J N Edelin, to the steamer Cumberland at 1.45 AM on 21 April, 1861. The detachment of thirty-five men of the United States Marine Corps frigate Pawnee and the detachment of sixty-six men steamer Cumberland were assigned to the steamer Keystone State on 22 April, 1861.

United States Marine Corps Battalion

A detachment of the United States Marine Corps was stationed on the steamer Anacostia on 24 May, 1861, and was ordered to Headquarters, Marine Barracks, on the corner of Eighth and I Streets, Washington, D. C., on 29 May, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 71st New York State Militia Infantry was assigned to the steamer Anacostia on 29 May, 1861 (See the 71st New York State Militia Infantry).

Assignment, 14 July, 1861: Colonel J Harris, United States Marine Corps, was organised four companies of the United States Marine Corps for temporary field service wth the McDowell's Army,, under the command of Major J G Reynolds, on 14 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, near the Toll Gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, 16 July, 1861: The United States Marine Corps Battalion was assigned as support to the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D, on 16 July, 1861, and was ordered across the Potomac River by the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 2 PM the same day (See the 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D). The battalion was ordered to proceed by the Washington & Alexandria Turnpike to Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and was assigned to the First Brigade, Second Division, McDowell's Army, at Fort Albany, Prospect Hill, near the Toll Gate on the Columbia Turnpike, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: Three musicians and one apprentice music boy were assigned to the United States Marine Corps Battalion on 14 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The United States Marine Corps Battalion was ordered to proceed across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., at 2 PM on 16 July, 1861, and proceeded by the Columbia Turnpike to Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM the same day. The battalion arrived at the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, near Arlington Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 6 PM on 16 July, 1861, and was stationed at Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM the same day. The United States Marine Corps Battalion was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and arrived by the Little River Turnpike via Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 PM the same day. The battalion was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived near the Warrenton Turnpike, two miles east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The United States Marine Corps Battalion was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 4.30 AM the same day. The Marine Corps was ordered to Sudley Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 5.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at 9.30 AM the same day.

Order of march, 21 July, 1861: The 5th United States Artillery, Light Company D; the United States Marine Corps Battalion; the 27th New York Infantry; the 14th New York State Militia Infantry; the 8th New York State Militia Infantry; the United States Battalion Infantry; and the United States Battalion Cavalry, on 16 July, 1861.

Retreat to Washington, D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the United States Marine Corps Battalion was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861, and proceeded to Washington, D. C., the same day. The battalion arrived at Fort Runyon, near Columbia Springs via Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered across the Potomac River by the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., the same day. The United States Marine Corps Battalion arrived at the Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., on 22 July, 1861.

Colonel A Porter, First Brigade, Second Division, McDowell's Army: Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain A Porter, United States Mounted Riflemen, was appointed colonel, 16th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861, and brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 20 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

The Department of Northeastern Virginia and the Department of Washington were consolidated as the Military District of the Potomac on 25 July, 1861, and was redesignated the Department of the Potomac or Army of the Potomac on 15 August, 1861. The United States Marine Corps Battalion was assigned to garrison duty at the Navy Yard, Washington, D. C., shortly after the first battle of Bull Run.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.36: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp391-392
Major J G Reynolds, United States Marine Corps Battalion, dated Marine Barracks, Washington, D. C., 24 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.32: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp353-356
Colonel A Porter, Sixteenth United States Infantry, First Brigade, Second Division, McDowell's Army, dated Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.31: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp382-383
Colonel D Hunter, Third United States Cavalry, Second Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 5 August, 1861