The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Chief Trumpeter C H Powell, Goochland Light Dragoons

Chief Trumpeter C H Powell, Goochland Light Dragoons

Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry

Rappahannock Cavalry arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 9 May, 1861; Goochland Light Dragoons 29 May, 1861; Governor's Mounted Guard 31 May, 1861; and Thirtieth Virginia Cavalry, Company F, at Milford Mills, on Broad Run, four and a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 25 June, 1861. Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

LIEUTENANT COLONEL W H JENIFER
W H Jenifer was appointed lieutenant colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and was assigned to Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.77, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was temporarily assigned to the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry by Special Orders No.170, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 July, 1861 (See the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry)

MAJOR J HARRISON
Captain J Harrison, Goochland Light Dragoons, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was assigned to Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.102, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861. Major J Harrison, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 6th Virginia Cavalry, on 15 September, 1861, dated 11 September, 1861.

Unlettered Company Goochland Light Dragoons: CAPT. G F HARRISON
The company was accepted in state service at Goochland Courthouse, Goochland County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J Harrison, on 17 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 10 May, 1861. First Lieutenant G F Harrison, Goochland Light Dragoons, was appointed captain, Goochland Light Dragoons, on 2 June, 1861, and resigned on 31 August, 1861, dated 6 September, 1861. The company was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company F, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and First Lieutenant A M Hobson, Goochland Light Dragoons, was appointed captain, Goochland Light Dragoons, on 11 September, 1861.
Unlettered Company Governor's Mounted Guard: CAPT. J G CABELL
The company was organised as the Richmond Light Dragoons, under the command of Captain J R Anderson, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 September, 1859, and was accepted in state service on 17 April, 1861. The company arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 8 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company I, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was disbanded by Special Orders No.30, Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 January, 1863.
Unlettered Company Rappahannock Cavalry or Old Guard: CAPT. J S GREEN
The company was accepted in state service at Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and was mustered in state for one year service at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 May, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, by Special Orders No.276, Paragraph XVI, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861.
Company F Bedford Southside Dragoons, Thirtieth Virginia Cavalry, Company F: CAPT. J Wilson
The company was accepted in state service at Davis Mills, Bedford County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 31 May, 1861. The company was assigned to Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry on 15 July, 1861 (See the 30th Virginia Cavalry).

Cavalry Camp of Instruction

Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by General Orders No.8, Paragraph I, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel R H Chilton, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, by General Orders No.18, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel C W Field, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.201, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 6th Virginia Cavalry, on 12 September, 1861.

Note: R H Chilton was appointed colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.

Virginia Rangers: CAPT. B B Douglas
The Virginia Rangers was accepted or mustered in state service for one year at West Point, King William County, Virginia, by Major H B Tomlin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 10 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 4 July, 1861. Captain W H F Lee and First Lieutenant B B Douglas, Virginia Rangers, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, and captain, Virginia Rangers, respectively, on 17 July, 1861. The Virginia Rangers was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, under the command of Major W H F Lee, Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.223, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861, dated 16 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Lunenburg Light Dragoons. The company arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 9th Virginia Cavalry, Company H, by Special Orders No.6, Headquarters, Aquia District, Fredercksburg, Virginia, on 18 January, 1862.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 4-18 July, 1861
Lunenburg Light Dragoons: CAPT. W H Hatchett
The Lunenburg Light Dragoons was accepted in state service for one year at Lunenburg Courthouse, Lunenburg County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861. The Lunenburg Light Dragoons was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, under the command of Major W H F Lee, Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.223, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 July, 1861, dated 16 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Virginia Rangers. The company arrived at Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 9th Virginia Cavalry, Company G, by Special Orders No.6, Headquarters, Aquia District, Fredercksburg, Virginia, on 18 January, 1862.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 18 June-18 July, 1861
Prince Edward Dragoons: CAPT. J T Thornton
The Prince Edward Dragoons was accepted in state service for one year at Prince Edward Courthouse, Prince Edward County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 26 June, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 28 June, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Major J E Johnson, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 30 June, 1861. The Prince Edward Dragoons was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and was ordered to Yorktown, York County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.260, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 3rd Virginia Cavalry, Company L, in September 1861, and was stationed at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 7 September, 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 28 June-28 August, 1861
New Kent Light Dragoons: CAPT. M Vaiden
The New Kent Light Dragoons was accepted in state service at New Kent Courthouse, New Kent County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Brick House, New Kent County, Virginia, by Major H B Tomlin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, in the evening on 4 July, 1861. The New Kent Light Dragoons was ordered to Yorktown, York County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.260, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861, and was assigned to the 3rd Virginia Cavalry, Company K, in September 1861. The New Kent Dragoons was stationed at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 7 September, 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 4 July-28 August, 1861
Cumberland Light Dragoons: CAPT. H R Johnson
The Cumberland Light Dragoons was accepted in state service for one year at Cumberland Corthouse, Cumberland County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 15 May, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, in the evening on 16 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year by Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 17 May, 1861. The Cumberland Light Dragoons was ordered to Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.205, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, dated 1 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Boydton or Mecklenburg Troop. The company was assigned to the 3rd (2nd) Virginia Cavalry, Company D, in July 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 16 May-1 July, 1861
Boydton or Mecklenburg Troop: CAPT. T F Goode
The Boydton or Mecklenburg Troop was accepted in state service for one year at Boydton, Mecklenburg County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Major J E Johnson, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 May, 1861, and was ordered to Williamsburg, James City County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.205, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, dated 1 July, 1861. The Boydton or Mecklenburg Troop was accompanied by the Cumberland Light Dragoons and was assigned to the 3rd (2nd) Virginia Cavalry, Company E, in July 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 22 May-1 July, 1861
Henrico Light Dragoons: CAPT. Z S McGruder
The Henrico Light Dragoons was accepted in state service for one year at Henrico Courthouse, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, via Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.209, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 10 May-2 July, 1861
Pittsylvania Dragoons: CAPT. C E Flournoy
The Pittsylvania Dragoons was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, Major J E Johnson, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 May, 1861, and was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.177, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 June, 1861. Special Orders No.177, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, dated 6 June, 1861, was revoked by Special Orders No.186, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and the company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Huntersville, Pocahontas County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.201, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west ofAshland, Hanover County, Virginia, 27 May-27 June 1861
Charlotte Cavalry: CAPT. J G Smith
The Charlotte Cavalry (81) was accepted in state service for one year at Charlotte Courthouse, Charlotte County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the morning on 16 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Major J E Johnson, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 May, 1861, and was ordered to Staunton, Augusta County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.177, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 6 June, 1861. Special Orders No.177, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, dated 6 June, 1861, was revoked by Special Orders No.186, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and the Charlotte Cavalry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Huntersville, Pocahontas County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.201, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861.
Stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 27 May-27 June 1861

Note: Major J E Johnson, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed mustering officer at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.121, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the cavalry, under the command of Brigadier General T H Holmes, Confederate States Army, by Special Orders No.121, Paragraph IX, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 August, 1861.

First Virginia Cavalry

The Amelia Light Dragoons and the Washington Mounted Guards arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 May and 22 June, 1861, respectively, and were ordered to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.206, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

Fourth Virginia Cavalry

The Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B, was stationed at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, between 8 and 30 May, 1861; the Goochland Light Dragoons and the Hanover Light Dragoons between 10 and 31 May, 1861; and the Governor's Mounted Guards between 11 and 30 May, 1861.

Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry

The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover, County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, and Company D on 21 July, 1861. The Hampton Legion Battalion Cavalry, Companies A, B, and C, were ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, on the 22 July, 1861, and Company D by Special Orders No.252, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 August, 1861 (See the Hampton Legion).

Independent Cavalry Companies

The Natchez Cavalry or Adam's Troop, Boykin's Mounted Rangers, and the Texas Rangers or Rosser's Mounted Rangers were ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.215, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, dated 8 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, the same day. Boykin's Mounted Rangers was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and the Natchez Cavalry or Adam's Troop on 22 August, 1861.

Sources

"The Governor's Mounted Guard, Captain Cabell, numbering about 75 uniformed members and 50 recruits, who had been on a tour of duty, also returned yesterday."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 23 April, 1861 - Return of military

"The Governor's Mounted Guard, some 65 men, Captain J. G. Cabell, commanding, were mustered into the service of the State yesterday, by the Inspector General and his aids, at the Custom-House."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 9 May, 1861 - Mustered into service

"Last evening the Governor's Guard arrived at this Camp, and are quartered in the Methodist Church."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 15 May, 1861 - From the camp at Ashland, Camp Ashland, Hanover County, 14 May, 1861

"The First Regiment of Virginia Volunteer Cavalry has been made up as follows: 1. Chesterfield Troop, Capt. Wm. M. Ball; 2. Gov.'s Mounted Guard, Richmond, Capt. J. G. Cabell; 3. Hanover Troop, Capt. Wms. C. Wickham; 4. Henrico Troop, Capt. Z. S. McGruder; 5. Amelia Troop, Capt. S. S. Weisiger; 6. Goochland Troop, Capt. Julian Harrison; 7. Meckenburg Troop, Capt. Thomas F. Goode; 8. Pittsylvania Troop, Capt. C. E. Flourney; 9. Cumberland Troop, Capt. Henry R. Johnson; 10. Charlotte Troop, Capt. John G. Smith. This regiment goes at once into a camp of instruction, at Ashland, under the command of Lieut. Col. R. S. Ewell, late of the U. S. Army."

The Richmond Enquirer, 17 May, 1861 - Cavalry regiment

"The Goochland troop, and another from an ajoining county, the two numbering about 160 men, rode into town yesterday evening. They were fully armed and equipped."

The Richmond Examiner, 20 May, 1861 - Arrival of troops at Richmond

"Our company arrived here last Sunday week, and found very splendid quarters for both man and beast. When we returned from Alexandria some several weeks ago, we went into barracks near Washington, Rappahannock county, under the command of Col. Taliaferro, but before he had completed his intentions, in drilling, we were ordered to Manassas Station, on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad: but before reaching that point, we were ordered to go into barracks near Centreville."

The Alexandria Gazette, 22 May, 1861 - Barracks of Captain John Shac Green, near Centreville, Fairfax Co., Va., 22 May, 1861

"Tuesday evening two companies were transported with their horses and provisions, on the Central Railroad. This evening the Governor's Guard and the Chesterfield Troop will leave in the evening the same way, and to the same destination."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 31 May, 1861 - Camp Ashland, Hanover County, 30 May, 1861

"The Goocland Light Dragoons, with the Governor's Guard, and two infantry companies, are stationed at Fairfax county, in the neighbourhood of the Black Republican forces."

The Richmond Enquirer, 11 June, 1861 - Camp of the Goochland Cavalry, 9 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 24: Goochland Light Dragoons, p359

Lee's last casualty: The life and letters of Sgt. Robert W Parker, Second Virginia Cavalry, by Robert W Parker

"There were two companies of cavalry serving with Ewell's brigade on that day - the Governor's Guard, Captain Cabell, and my own, the Goochland Light Dragoons."

Ewell at First Manassas: Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 14, January-Decembver 1886, pp356-359, by Captain George F Harrison

"Fontaine offered his services to the Confederacy and received an assignment as assistant surgeon to the 5th Virginia Regiment of Volunteers om May 21, 1861. This order was almost immediately countermanded, and on May 29 he reported to Major Harrison's cavalry command at Manassas. The month of June saw Fontaine attached to Lt. Col. Walter H. Jenifer's cavalry stationed at Sangsters Crossroads."

They followed the plume: The story of J. E. B. Stuart and his staff, by Robert J Trout

"The three infantry regiments had over 2500 men for duty. Siebels had some 1360 on his rolls - the others about 250 less, each. The Cavy. was about 300 men - & the 'Governor's Mounted Guard' & "Gouchland Troop" were very fine men & unusually intelligent. The other companies I forget."

Campbell Brown's Civil War with Ewell and the Army of Northern Virginia, by Terry L Jones

"My company, Goochland Light Dragoons (afterward Company F, Fourth Virginia cavalry), was at Fairfax Station, three miles off, and we were on the ground soon after the affair occured."

First Confederate killed: The Confederate Veteran Magazine, Volume VI, Nashville, Tenn., Janaury 1898-December 1898, p320, by W. R. Hall, Richmond, Virginia

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Sixth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by M Musick

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Fourth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by K L Stiles

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

Goochland Light Dragoons

The Goochland Light Dragoons was accepted in state service at Goochland County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861.

Richmond, Henrico County, to Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 10 May, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861, and arrived at the Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Mustered in one year, Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 10 May, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 10 May, 1861.

Note: The Goochland Light Dragoons was arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 19 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Hanover Light Dragoons.

Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to Manassas Junction, Virginia, 28-29 May, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.127, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 28 May, 1861, dated 27 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Hanover Light Dragoons (See the Wickham's Squadron Cavalry). The company arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Major J Harrison, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Governor's Mounted Guard, the Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B, and the Hanover Light Dragoons (See Harrison's Battalion Cavalry). The company arrived at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, via Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 June, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 1 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Hanover Light Dragoons (See Wickham's Squadron Cavalry). The company was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon same day.

Note: The Goochland Light Dragoons was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861.

Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 4 June, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons and the Governor's Mounted Guard were ordered to Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.2, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The Goochland Light Dragoons, the Governor's Mounted Guard, the Fairfax Rifles, and the Mount Vernon Guards were stationed at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Captured at Burkes Station, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, Fairfax County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: A detachment of the Goochland Light Dragoons (1) and the Governor's Mounted Guard (1) was captured by a detachment of the 1st Michigan Infantry, Company B, one mile east of Burkes Station, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 8 June, 1861 (See the 1st Michigan Infantry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The Goochland Light Dragoons was stationed at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 4 June and 17 July, 1861, and was assigned to Jenifer's Squadron Cavalry at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.77, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17-18 July, 1861: The Goochland Light Dragoons was ordered to withdraw to Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Bull Run River at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Goochland Light Dragoons was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 23 July, 1861.

The Goochland Light Dragoons was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company I, under the command of Colonel B H Robertson, 4th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Sangster's Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in September 1861.

Governor's Mounted Guard

The Governor's Mounted Guard was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at at Camp Lee, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.

Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, 11 May, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, the same day.

Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, to Manassas Junction, Virginia, 30-31 May, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.127, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 30 May, 1861, dated 27 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B (See the Munford's Squadron Cavalry). The company arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Major J Harrison, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Goochland Light Dragoons, the Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B, and the Hanover Light Dragoons (See Harrison's Battalion Cavalry). The company arrived at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, via Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 4 June, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard and the Goochland Light Dragoons were ordered to Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.2, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: The Goochland Light Dragoons, the Governor's Mounted Guard, the Fairfax Rifles, and the Mount Vernon Guards were stationed at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The Governor's Mounted Guard was assigned to Jenifer's Squadron Cavalry at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.77, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17-18 July, 1861: The Governor's Mounted Guard was ordered to withdraw to Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and proceeded across the Bull Run River at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Governor's Mounted Guard was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 23 July, 1861.

The Governor's Mounted Guard was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company F, under the command of Colonel B H Robertson, 4th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Sangster's Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in October 1861.

Rappahannock Cavalry

The Rappahannock Cavalry was accepted in state service at Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Alexandria, Campbell County, Virginia, on the 24 April, 1861 (See the Garrison at Alexandria).

Alexandria to Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, 24 April, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was stationed at Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel A G Taliaferro, 2nd Virginia Militia Cavalry, between 24 April and 11 May, 1861.

Disposition of troops, Headquarters, Potomac Department, Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (100), Company E, Captain S H Devaugh; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (88), Company G, Captain A Herbert; 6th Virginia Battalion Volunteers (69), Company H, Captain M Mayre; Alexandria Home Guards (100), Captain J Latouche; Washington('s) Home Guards or Fairfax Cavalry (53), Captain E B Powell; Border Guards or Fairfax Cavalry, Captain M D Ball, at Alexandria, Virginia; Fairfax Rifles (51), Captain W H Dulany, at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia; Washington Volunteers (113), Company A, Captain C K Sherman; Porter's Company (74), Captain J C Porter; Alexandria Artillery (86), Captain D Kemper, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia; Richardson Guards, Captain J Welsh, at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen, Jr.; Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T Triplett, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry (64), Captain J S Green, at Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia; Black Horse Troop, Captain W H Payne, at Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia; Powhatan Troop, Captain J F Lay, enroute to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia

Amissville, Rappahannock County, to Centreville, Prince William County, Virginia, 11 & 12 May, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry (57) was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 11 May, 1861, and arrived at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861.

Note: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, ordered the Powhatan Troop to Amissville, ten miles east of Washington, Rappahannock County, Virginia, in the morning on 8 May, 1861 (See Lay's Squadron of Cavalry).

Troops stationed at & in the vicinity of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, (918), 12 May, 1861: Colonel Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, Major C Boyle, Provisional Army of Virginia; Lynchburg Home Guards, Captain K Otey; Lynchburg Rifles Greys, Captain M S Langhorne; Southern Guards, Captain R C Saunders; Farmville Guards, Captain R A Booker; Prince William Rifles (60), Captain A S Hamilton; Irish Volunteers or Triplett's Heavy Artillery, Captain T Triplett; Emmett Guards, Captain J E Towsen; Black Horse Troop (76), Captain W H Payne; section of Alexandria Artillery, Captain D Kemper, at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia; Warrenton Rifles (88), Captain J Q Marr, at Bristoe Station, Prince William County, Virginia; Rappahannock Cavalry (57), at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia

Note: The Powhatan Troop, under the command of Captain J F Lay, was stationed at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 9 and 11 May, 1861, and was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861.

Mustered in state service one year, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 20 May, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was mustered in state service at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Major G W Brent, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 20 May, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Note: The Rappahannock Cavalry was stationed at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was stationed at the Episcopal Church, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 3 AM on 1 June, 1861 (See the Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse).

Note: The Rappahannock Cavalry, the Prince William Cavalry, and the Warrenton Rifles were stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 1 June, 1861 (See Scott's Squadron Cavalry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The Prince William Cavalry, the Hanover Light Dragoons, the Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B; the Rappahannock Cavalry, and the Black Horse Troop were stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 21 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Prince William Cavalry.

Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 23 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Special Orders No.62, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Prince William Cavalry.

Note: The Rappahannock Cavalry and the Prince William Cavalry were stationed at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 June, 1861.

Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 24 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was assigned to Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of, Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861.

J Hooe's Farm, half a mile east of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 30 June, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was stationed at J Hooe's Farm, half a mile east of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 30 June 1861.

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.112, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861.

Note: The 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company F, was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17-18 July, 1861: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to withdraw to Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company F. The company was ordered across the Bull Run River at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Rappahannock Cavalry was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 23 July, 1861, and was assigned to Colonel J E B Stuart, 1st Virginia Cavalry, between 13 and 27 August, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Cavalry).

The Rappahannock Cavalry was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, under the command of Colonel C W Field, by Special Orders No.276, Paragraph XVI, on 12 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 October, 1861.

Bedford Southside Dragoons

The Bedford Southside Dragoons was accepted in state service at Davis' Mills, Bedford County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, the same day.

Mustered in one year, Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

A quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, to Millford Mills, on Broad Run, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 23-25 June, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 7.30 AM on 23 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies E, G, H, and I, under the command of Colonel R C W Radford. The company arrived at Orange Courthouse, Orange County, Virginia, ay 10 AM the same day and was stationed at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 6.30 PM on 23 June, 1861. The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to White Sulphur Springs, on the Rappahannock River, four miles southeast of Waterloo, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 24 June, 1861, and arrived via Jeffersonville, Tazewell County, Virginia, at 3 PM the same day. The company was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6.30 AM on 25 June, 1861, and arrived at Milford Mills, on Broad Run, four and a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 6 PM the same day.

Millford Mills, four & a half miles west of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 30 June, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel R C W Radford, 30th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.74, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 30 June, 1861, dated the same day and was accompanied by the 30th Virginia Cavlary, Companies E, G, H, and I. The company arrived at Camp Radford, Fairfax Courthouse via Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5 PM the the same day.

Note: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 1 July and 14 July, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 15 July, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 15 July, 1861.

Note: A detachment of twenty men of the Bedford Southside Dragoons were temporarily assigned to the 5th Alabama Infantry at W Farr's Crossroads, on the old Braddock Road, one and a quarter miles south of Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 15 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17-18 July, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to withdraw to Union Mills (Station), Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Rappahannock Cavalry. The company was ordered across the Bull Run River at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Note: The Rappahannock Cavalry was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.112, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Bedford Southside Dragoons was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T T Munford, 30th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 July, 1861: 1st Virginia Infantry, 7th Virginia Infantry, 11th Virginia Infantry, 17th Virginia Infantry, Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st Company; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies B, E, F, and I

Note: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was stationed at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 26 July, 1861.

Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 31 July, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Blackford, in the vicinity of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 31 July, 1861.

Centreville to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 August, 1861: The Bedford Southside Dragoons arrived at Camp Harrison, Headquarters, Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 August, 1861.

Jennifer's Battalion Cavalry

Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Goochland Light Dragoons and the Governor's Mounted Guard at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.77, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861, and Major J Harrison, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to the Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General R S Ewell, at Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.102, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 July, 1861.

1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry, 26 July-1 September, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, Provisional Army of Virginia, was temporarily assigned to command the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry by Special Orders No.170, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 26 July, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 287, Parragraph II, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 September, 1861 (See the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry).

Note: Lieutenant Colonel C De Choiseul, 7th Louisiana Infantry, was assigned to command the 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry by Special Orders No. 287, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 September, 1861 (See the 7th Louisiana Infantry)

Disbanded at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, 11 April, 1865: The 4th Virginia Cavalry and the 6th Virginia Cavalry were disbanded at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 11 April, 1865.

Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, Provisional Army of Virginia, Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry: First Lieutenant W H Jenifer, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, was stationed at Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, on 14 April, 1861, and proceeded to Washington, D. C., on a leave of absence on 19 April, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry). He resigned the same day and arrived at Baltimore City, Maryland, during the riot at Pratt Street, Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland, on 19 April, 1861. First Lieutenant W H Jenifer, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, was ordered to Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, in the evening on 19 April, 1861, and to Washington, D. C., on 22 April, 1861. He arrived at Hanover, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, at 5 PM the same day and was arrested on 22 April, 1861. First Lieutenant W H Jenifer, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, arrived at York, York County, Pennsylvania, at 11 PM on 22 April, 1861, and at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, at 3 PM on 24 April, 1861. He arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 24 April, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W H Jenifer, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to Fredericksburg, Virginia, by Special Orders No.71, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 June, 1861, and to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.81, Paragraph VIII, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861. He was assigned to command Jenifer's Battalion Cavalry by Special Orders No.77, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861, and to command the cavalry, Seventh Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, on 11 August, 1861. Lietent Colonel W H Jenifer, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed colonel, 8th Virginia Cavalry, on 24 September, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant W H Jenifer, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, was appointed captain, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861.

Brigadier General R S Ewell, Confederate States Army, Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Captain R S Ewell, 1st United States Dragoons, resigned on 7 May, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 16 March, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the volunteer companies at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.7, Paragraph I, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 1 May, 1861, and was ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by General Orders No.8, Paragraph I, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861. He arrived at Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, the same day and was appointed lieutenant colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 9 May, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861, and arrived by the Oragne & Alexandria Railroad on 24 May, 1861. He was ordered to proceed by the Oragne & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4.30 AM on 25 May, 1861, and was accompanied by Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, and the 19th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J B Strange, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 7.30 AM the same day (See the 19th Virginia Infantry). Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861, and was engaged in a skirmish between 3 and 4 AM on 1 June, 1861 (See the Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse). He was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 20 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.61, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 14 May, 1861: The Halifax Light Infantry, Old Dominion Guards, and Chatham Greys were ordered to the Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.61, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861.

Special Orders No.63, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 15 May, 1861: The Young Guard, Mount Vernon Guards, Chesterfield Central Guards, Bedford Rifle Greys, and Meadville Greys were ordered to the Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Captiol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.63, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861.

Note: The Young Guards, Chatham Greys, Halifax Light Infantry, Mount Vernon Guards, Chesterfield Central Guards, Bedford Rifle Greys, and Meadville Greys were ordered to Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, by General Orders No.8, Paragraph I, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel R H Chilton, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Ashland, Slash Cottage, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, west of Ashland, Hanover County, Virginia, by General Orders No.18, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861.

Note: R H Chilton was appointed colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861.

The 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies B, E, F, and I, were assigned to the Fourth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T T Munford, 30th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph III, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT No.95: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp536-537
Brigadier General R S Ewell, Confederate States Army, Second Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated Union Mills, Prince William County, Virginia, 24 July, 1861