The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

First Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Colonel M Gregg, 1st South Carolina Infantry

Colonel M Gregg, 1st South Carolina Infantry

First South Carolina Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for six months 22 April, dated 23 April, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Virginia, 24 May, 1861. Mustered out 9 July, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Manassas

COLONEL M GREGG
M Gregg was appointed colonel, 1st South Carolina Infantry, on 3 January, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL D H HAMILTON, SR.
Lieutenant Colonel A H Gladden, 1st South Carolina Infantry, resigned by 18 February, 1861, and Major D H Hamilton, Sr., 1st South Carolina Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st South Carolina Infantry, by 18 February, 1861.

MAJOR A M SMITH
Adjutant A M Smith, 1st South Carolina Infantry, was appointed major, 1st South Carolina Infantry, by 18 February, 1861.

Company A Richland or Columbia Rifles: CAPT. D B MILLER
The company was accepted in state service at Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and arrived by South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 10.30 PM the same day. The company was mustered in state service for six months at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 4 January, 1861, dated 3 January, 1861, and was mustered Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company B Darlington Guards: CAPT. D G McIntosh
The company was accepted in state service at Darlington Courthouse, Darlington District, South Carolina, on 3 January 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad to Charleston, Charleston Distict, South Carolina, at 11 AM the same day. The company arrived by the Northeastern Railroad at Charleston, Charleston Distict, South Carolina, at 6.30 PM on 3 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for six months in the morning on 4 January, 1861, dated 3 January, 1861. The company declined Confederate service on 19 April, 1861, and was disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The company arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Senior Captain F F Warley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, in the morning on 29 April, 1861, and a detachment was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days, under the command of Captain D G McIntosh, at Charleston, Charleston Distict, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company C Edgefield Rifles or Riflemen: CAPT. R Dean
The company was accepted in state service at Edgefield District, South Carolina, under the command of Captain C Adams, in January 1861 and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 6 January, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant T T Grayson, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dates 23 April, 1861.
Company D Abbeville Volunteers: CAPT. J M PERRIN
The company was accepted in state service at Abbeville, Abbeville District, South Carolina, on 7 January, 1861, and arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 9 January, 1861. The company declined Confederate service on 19 April, 1861, and was disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The company arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Senior Captain F F Warley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, in the morning on 29 April, 1861.
Company E Union (District) Volunteers: CAPT. J M GADBERRY
The company was accepted in state service at Union, Union District, South Carolina, on 12 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, the same day. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company F Wee Nee Volunteers: CAPT. J G PRESSLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Kingstree, Williamsburg District, South Carolina, on 1 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861. The company declined Confederate service on 19 April, 1861, and was disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The company arrived by the Northeastern Railroad at Kingstree, Williamsburg District, South Carolina, in afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company G Hamburg Volunteers: CAPT. W SPIRES
The company was accepted in state service at Hamburg, Edgefield Distrct, South Carolina, on 8 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 8 AM on 8 January, 1861. The company declined Confederate service on 19 April, 1861, and was disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The company arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Senior Captain F F Warley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, in the morning on 29 April, 1861.
Company H Cherokee Pond Guards: CAPT. R MERIWETHER
The company was accepted and mustered in state service at Cherokee Pond, Laurens District, South Carolina, on 7 January, 1861, dated 3 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 8 AM on 8 January, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company I Fairfield Volunteers or Monticello Guards: CAPT. J B DAVIS
The company was accepted in state service at Monticello, Fairfield District, South Carolina, on 9 January, 1861, and arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 10 January, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company K Marion Volunteers: CAPT. M B STANLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Marion, Marion District, South Carolina, on 5 January, 1861, and arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, the same day. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and nineteen days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company L Rhett Guards: CAPT. W WALKER
The company was accepted in state service at Newberry, Newberry District, South Carolina, on 12 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening the same day. The company arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 12 January, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861.
Company M Richardson Guards: CAPT. C H AXSON
The company was accepted in state service as part of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry at Charlestion, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Captain J Symon, on 11 January, 1861, and D F Richardson was appointed captain on 1 March, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861, and Captain D F Richardson, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company M, resigned the same day. First Lieutenant C H Axson, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company M, was appointed captain, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company M, at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 22 April, 1861, and the company was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the evening on 23 April and in the morning on 24 April, 1861.
Company N DeKalb Rifle Guards: CAPT. T L BOYKIN
The company was accepted in state service at Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, on 8 April, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-two days by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 23 April, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Camden Branch Railroad to Richmond Virginia, at 1 AM the same day and was accompanied by A H Boykin (See Boykin's Mounted Rangers).
Company O Saluda Guards: CAPT. W M GIBBES
The company was mustered in Confederate service for two months and nineteen days at the Old Fairgrounds, near Lexington, Lexington District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 26 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, on 30 April, 1861.

The bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 12-13 April, 1861

Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army

Troops stationed at Morris Island

Lieutenant Colonel W G DeSaussure, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, was appointed commandant of batteries and assigned to command all the troops serving the batteries at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by Special Orders No.8, Headquarters, Provisional Forces, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 12 March, 1861, and Brigadier General J W Simons, Fourth Brigade (Charleston), Second Division, South Carolina Militia, was assigned to command Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 11 April, 1861.

Trapier Battery (three 10 inch mortars): Captain J G King, Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery; detachment Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery; detachment Sumter Guards (15), 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry Marion Artillery arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 13 March, 1861. Sumter Guards arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 9 April, 1861

Note: The Sumter Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, under the command of Captain J Russell, was assigned as support at the rear of the Trapier Battery, Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Iron or Stevens' Battery (three 8 inch mortars): Captain G B Cuthbert and Ensign G L Buist, Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry)

Point Battery No.1 (two 42 pounder Seacoast howitzers & Blakely rifle): Second Lieutenant T S Brownfield, Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry and Captain J P Thomas, Citdadel Military Academy; detachment Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry

Point Battery No.2 (three 10 inch mortars): First Lieutenant C R Holmes, Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry and First Lieutenant W W Armstrong, Citdadel Military Academy; detachment Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry Palmetto Guards arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 9 January, 1861

Note: Major P F Stevens, Citdadel Military Academy, was assigned to command the Iron or Stevens' Battery and the Point Batteries Nos.1 and 2 at Cummings Point, Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Battery G (two 8 inch Columbiads): First Lieutenant J P Strohecker, Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery; detachment Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 13 March, 1861

Battery F (two 8 inch Seacoast howitzers) & Battery D (two 8 inch Columbiads): Captain C Nohrden, German Artillery, Company A, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery Stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 27 March, 1861

Battery E (one 8 inch Columbiads): Lieutenant Colonel T Lamar, aide de camp to Governor Pickens; detachment 1st South Carolina Infantry (8), Company D 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company D, arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 4 March, 1861

Batteries C & B (two 24 pounders each) & Star of the West Battery (four 24 pounders): Captain A J Green, Columbia Artillery Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 23 February, 1861

Sunken or Dahlgren Battery (two 9 inch Dahlgrens): First Lieutenant A F Warely, Confederate States Navy; detachment 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F

Vinegar Hill Battery (two 24 pounders): Captain J G Pressley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F; detachment 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F, arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 14 February, 1861

Lighthouse or Huger's Battery (two 24 pounders) & Lighthouse Inlet Battery (two 12 pounders): Detachment 1st South Carolina Infantry

Note: Three companies of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry were stationed at Beacon Hills, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, as support to the Sunken or Dahlgren Battery, three hundred and fifty yards south of the Star of the West Battery at Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

First South Carolina Infantry: Colonel M Gregg
The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at the rear of Lighthouse Hills and Lighthouse Inlet, southern end of Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861. Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 14 & 18 February, & 4 March, 1861

Seventeenth South Carolina Militia Infantry: Colonel J Cunningham
Six companies of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry were stationed at Gadberry's Hill and Beacon Hills, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.
Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 9 April, 1861

Second South Carolina Infantry: Colonel J B Kershaw
A detachment of the 2nd South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 12 April, 1861

German Hussars, 4th South Carolina Militia Cavalry: Captain T Cordes
The German Hussars, 4th South Carolina Militia Cavalry, was stationed at Morris Island during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861. Arrived at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 9 April, 1861

Troops stationed at Sullivan's Island

Brigadier General R G M Dunovant, South Carolina Militia, was assigned to command Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, and other military posts in the harbour by Special Orders No.39, Brigade Headquarters, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861, and arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 9 January, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R S Ripley, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, South Carolina Army, was assigned to command the artillery at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861.

Floating Battery (two 32 pounders & two 42 pounders) & Point Battery (one 9 inch Dahlgren): Captain J R Hamilton and First Lieutenant J A Yates, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D; detachment 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery (57), Company D1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Note: A detachment of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery (45), Company D, was stationed at the Floating Battery and a detachment (12) at the Point Battery at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Enfilading Battery (two 24 pounders & two 32 pounders): Captain J H Hallonquist and Second Lieutenant D G Flemming, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B; First Lieutenant J Valentine, 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company K; 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company K1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company K, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 23 March, 1861

Mortar Battery No.1 (two 10 inch mortars): Captain & Adjutant J D Bruns, 1st South Carolina Army; detachmnet 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company K 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company K, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 23 March, 1861

Note: Captain J H Hallonquist, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B, was assigned to command the Mortar Battery No.1 and the Enfilade Battery during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Sumter Battery (six 24 pounders & three 8 inch Columbiads): Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, and First Lieutenant A Rhett, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B; 1st South Carolina Battalion Artilley, Company B (See the 4th South Carolina Infantry)1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Note: A detachment of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, relieved the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B, at the Sumter Battery, Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Oblique Battery (two 32 pounders): Second Lieutenant R W Parker, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D; detachment 1st South Carolina Battalion Artilley (16), Company D1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Channel Battery (thirteen (?) pounders): First Lieutenant T Wagner, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Note: Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, was assigned to command the Sumter Battery, the Oblique Battey, and the Channel Battery at and near Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Mortar Battery No.2 (two 10 inch mortars) & Maffitt's Channel Battery (two (?) pounders): Captain W Butler, 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company B 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company B, stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Beauregard or Five Gun Battery (three 24 pounders, one 32 pounder & one 42 pounder Seacoast howitzer): Captain S Y Tupper, Vigilant Rifles, 1st South Carolina Militia ArtilleryArrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 23 February, 1861

First South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry: Colonel R H Anderson
The 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Companies A, C, D, E, G, H, and I, were stationed as a reserve; Company B at Mortar Battery No.2 and the Maffitt's Channel Battery; Company K the Enfilading Battery at Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina; and Company G at Mount Pleasant, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.Arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 4 & 8 March, 1861

First South Carolina Militia Rifles: Colonel J J Pettigrew
The 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles was stationed at the eastern portion of Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.Arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 4 & 8 March, 1861

German Artillery, Company B, First South Carolina Militia Artillery: Captain H Harms
The German Artillery, Company B, First South Carolina Militia Artillery, was assigned to the 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles at the eastern portion of Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.Stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Charlestion Light Dragoons, Fourth South Carolina Militia Cavalry: Captain B H Rutledge
A detachment of the Charleston Light Dragoons was stationed at Myrtles, eastern end of Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.Arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 9 April, 1861

South Carolina Collge Cadets: Captain J H Gary
The South Carolina Collge Cadets (107) arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Hibernian Hall, on Meeting Street, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 12 April, 1861, and arrived at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 12 AM on 13 April, 1861. The company was relieved at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 3 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 4 May, 1861.Arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 13 April, 1861

Troops stationed at Mount Pleasant

Mount Plesant Battery (two 10 inch mortars): Captain R Martin, 1st South Carolina (Regulars) Infantry, Company GStationed at Mount Pleasant, Charleston District, South Carolina, 11 April, 1861

Troops stationed at James Island

East or Beach (Upper) Battery (two 10 inch (Seacoast) mortars) & Fort Johnson (three 24 pounders): Captain G S James, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company CStationed at James Island, Charleston Harbour, 4 April, 1861

West or Hill (Lower) Battery (two 10 inch (Seacoast) mortars): First Lieutenant W H Gibbes, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company CStationed at James Island, Charleston Harbour, 4 April, 1861

Note: Captain G S James, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company C, was assigned to command the East or Beach (Upper) Battery, the West or Hill (Lower) Battery, and Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, Charlestion Harbour, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Sources

"By the Northeastern Railroad, Thursday afternoon, the Darlington Guards, numbering 85 men, reached the city, and were marched to the American Hotel, where they are now temporarily quartered."

"The Columbia train that reached the Depot at half-past 10 o'clock p. m., brought down that well-known corps, the 'Richland Volunteer Rifle Company'."

The Charleston Mercury, 4 January, 1861 - The Darlington Guards, eighty-five men - Richland Volunteer Rifle Corps, one hundred men

"Two additional companies of volunteers, who have entered the service of the State for six months, arrived in the city yesterday, and, without arms or equipments, were marched on board the steamer Excel, for secret service. The first company, under the command of Captain Spires, and Lieutenants George Robinson, F. C. Barker and Henry Key, numbered over one hundred men, from Hamburg. The second company, styled the'Cherokee Pond Volunteers,' numbered eighty-two men, nearly all younf farmers, eager for service."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 11 January, 1861 - Military movements in Charleston

"A company of Minute Men from Abbeville District arrived in this city on Wednesday night. They number one hundred men, and are as fine a looking body as any that can be raised."

"The Monticello Volunteers, from Fairfield District, also passed down Thursday'."

The Charleston Mercury, 12 January, 1861 - The military arrivals and movements

"These chivalrous and gallant defenders of their natal soil left Weldon, N. C., yesterday morning at 9 o'clock, to the number of 450, under the leadership of Col. M. L. Bonham, late a representative in Congress from the State of South Carolina. Col. Bonham is a brother of one of the Texan heroes who fell with Crockett, Bowie and others, defending the Alamo from the Mexicans during the Texan revolution, and he and his "boys" may be confidently calculated on to give a good account of themselves when brought face to face with the hired mercenaries of Lincoln who are now making attempts to subjugate this free land. The South Carolinians will go into camp at the Central Fair Grounds immediately on their arrival here, which was expected to take place yesterday, via the Petersburg Railroad."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 25 April, 1861 - The South Carolina troops

"Yesterday the DeKalb Rifles and Richardson Guards, numbering 96 men, arrived here, and 45 more were expected last night. There are about six hundred Carolina troops here now."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 26 April, 1861 - The Palmetto Regiment

"The 1st Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers, Col. Maxcy Gregg, commanding, left the city yesterday, marching orders having been received on Wednesday."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 24 May, 1861 - Departure of troops

"On Saturday last, we learned that the First Regiment South Carolina volunteers were on their way to this place, under command of Col. Gregg, from their camp at Centreville, distant about 7 miles to this post, and that we were ordered back to Manassas as soon as they should arrive."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 24 June, 1861 - Camp of Advanced Guard, Fairfax C.H., 19 June, 1861

"The legislature had passed a bill on December 17th providing for the organization of ten regiments for the defense of the State, and the convention had ordered the formation of a regiment for six months' service, to be embodied at once, the governor to appoint the field officers. This last was "Gregg's First regiment," which was organised in January, 1861, and on duty on Sullivan's and Morris Islands by the 1st of February following."

Confederate military history, Volume 5, Chapter I

"Ewell reached Culpeper around 24 May, the day Federal forces occupied Alexandria, Virginia. The troops at Culpeper were immediately ordered north to reinforce Brig. Gen. Milledge L. Bonham at Manassas Junction. The South Carolinian had two regiments of infantry. Heplaced one at Centreville and the other at Mitchell's Ford on Bull Run."

Richard S. Ewell: A soldiers life, and by Donald C Pfanz

"The companies constituting the regiment rendezvoused, at various dates, in Charleston, whence they were distributed on Sullivan's and Morris' islands. They had all assembled by or about February 1, 1861. Col. Rivers states in his account: At this time volunteer companies for the regiment raised by order of the Convention rapidly came forward, the number of men amounting to 1,059, including officers. This was the 1st Regiment S. C. V., Col. Maxcy Gregg, commanding; Lieut. Col. A. H. Gladden and afterwards Lieut. Col. D. H. Hamilton; Maj. Aug. M. Smith; Co. A. Richland Rifles, Capt. D. B. Miller; Co. B, Darlington Guards, Capt. F[rederick] F[raser] Warley; Co. C. Edgefield Rifles, Capt. Cicero Adams; Co. D, Abbeville Volunteers, Capt. J[ames] M[onroe] Perrin; Co. E, Union Volunteers, Capt. J[ames] M. Gadbury[Gadberry]; Co. F, Wee Nee Volunteers (from Williamsburg), Capt. J. G. Pressley; Co. G, Hamburg Volunteers, Capt. Wm. Spires; Co. H, Cherokee Pond Volunteers, Capt. R. Merriweather; Co. I, Monticello Guards, Capt. J. B. Davis;[This may be Joseph Berry Davis who died in the war per Broken Fortunes] Co. K, Marion Volunteers, Capt. M. B. Stanley; Co. L, Rhett Guards (from Newberry), Capt. Whitfield Walker."

The history of a brigade of South Carolinians, known first as Gregg's, by J F J Caldwell

"Lieutenant Colonel Hamilton led the First Regiment with his usual gallantry of bearing, duly seconded by Major Smith, Lieutenant Ready (acting adjutant), and Captain McGowan, regimental quartermaster."

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Lowcountry & Pee Dee, by R S Seigler

Bound for glory: A brief history of the Darlington Rifles, precusor volunteer militia to Company A, Eighth South Carolina Volunter Infantry, C.S.A. Origin through First Manassas, by Elizabeth Hoole McArthur

Memoirs of a Confederate scout and sharpshooter, by Berry Benson

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Midlands, by Robert S Seigler

Report of Colonel Maxey Gregg, First South Carolina Infantry, dated camp near Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861

Hartwell Percy Spain Diary, 1861: The Southern Historical Collection at the Louis Round Wilson Special Collections Library

Notes

The 1st South Carolina Infantry was accepted in state service for six months on 8 January, 1861, dated 3 January, 1861.

State service

The 1st South Carolina Infantry (1,029) was stationed at the Washington Racecourse, above Charleston; Sullivans Island, Charleston District, South Carolina; and Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 10 January and 21 April, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General R G M Dunovant, South Carolina Militia, was assigned to command Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, and other military posts in Charleston Harbour, by Orders No.39, Brigade Headquarters, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861.

Organisation of 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, 27 December, 1860: Colonel J Cunningham, Lieutenant Colonel W P Shingler, Major J J Lucas; Charleston Riflemen, Captain J Johnson, Jr.; Sumter Guards, Captain H C King; Irish Volunteers, Captain E Magrath; Union Light Infantry, Captain D Ramsay; Calhoun Guards, Captain J B Fraser; Emmett Volunteers, Captain P Grace; German Fusiliers, Captain S Lord, Jr.; Montgomery Guards, Captain J Connor; Palmetto Guards, Captain W T Middleton; Cadet Riflemen, Captain N S Elliot

Organisation of 1st South Carolina Infantry, 8 January, 1861: Colonel M Gregg, Lieutenant Colonel D H Hamilton, Major A M Smith; Company A, Captain D B Miller (120); Company B, Captain F F Warley (104); Company C, Captain C Adams (94); Company D, Captain J M Perrin (98); Company E, Captain J M Gadberry (104); Company F, Captain J G Pressley (94); Company G, Captain W Spires (86); Company H, Captain R Merriwether (81); Company I, Captain J B Davis (80); Company K, Captain M B Stanley (88); Company L, Captain W Walker (80)

Columbia, Richland District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company A, 3 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company A, arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 10.30 PM on 3 January, 1861.

Note: The Richardson Guards, under the command of Captain J M Pundt, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, was stationed at the Northeastern Railroad Depot, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 10.30 PM on 3 January, 1861.

Darlington Courthouse, Darlington District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company B, 3 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was ordered to proceed by the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad to Charleston, Charleston Distict, South Carolina, at 11 AM on 3 January, 1861, and arrived by the Northeastern Railroad at 6 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A and B, were stationed at the old American Hotel, King Street, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, between 3 and 4 January, 1861, and Company B arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 7 PM on 4 January, 1861.

Columbia, Richland District, & Darlington Courthouse, Darlington District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company F, 3 & 10 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F, arrived by the Northeastern Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and were stationed at Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 10 January, 1861.

Marion, Marion District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company K, 5 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company K, arrived by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 5 January, 1861.

Hamburg, Edgefield District to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company C, 6-7 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company C, arrived at Hamburg, Edgefield District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 6 January, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on the same day. Company C arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 7 January, 1861.

Hamburg, Edgefield Distrct, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Companies G & H, 8 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies G and H, were ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 8 AM on 8 January, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies G and H, were stationed at the Red House, near Hamburg, Edgefield District, South Carolina, on 7 January, 1861, and were assigned to the steamer Excel at Charleston Harbour in the evening on 8 January, 1861.

Abbeville, Abbeville District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company D , 9 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 9 January, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day.

Monticello, Fairfield District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company I, 9-10 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company I (81), was ordered to proceed by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 9 Jaunary, 1861, and arrived by the South Carolina Railroad in the morning on 10 Jaunary, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies D and I, were stationed at the old American Hotel, on King Street, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 10 and 11 January, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the steamer General Clinch to Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel A H Gladden, in the morning on 11 January, 1861. Company D was stationed at the Moultrie House, one and a half miles east of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 21 January, 1861.

Newberry, Newberry District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company L, 12 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry (73), Company L, was ordered to proceed by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 12 January, 1861, and arrived by the South Carolina Railroad the same day.

Union, Union District, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Company E, 12 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company E, was ordered to proceed by the Georgia Railroad to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 12 January, 1861.

Moultrie House, one & a half miles east of Fort Moultrie, & Pelican's Point, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, 14 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Moultrie House, one and a half miles east of Fort Moultrie, and Pelican's Point, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 14 January, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies C, H, and G, were stationed at Moultrie House, one and a half miles east of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 16 January, 1861, and Company D was ordered to Pelican's Point, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 9 February, 1861. A detachment of the Richardson Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, assigned to special duty on the steamer General Clinch at Charleston Harbour in the evening on 18 January, 1861.

Distribution of 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, 4 February, 1861: The German Artillery, Company A, Captain C Nohrden, and the Marinon Artillery, Captain J G King, were stationed at Castle Pinckney, Folly Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Major J A Wagener, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, German Artillery, Company B, Captain H Harms, at Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, Charleston Harbour, and the Star of the West Battery or Fort Morris, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour; and the Lafayette Artillery, Captain J J Pope, Jr., at Fort Palmetto, Cole's Island, near the mouth of Stono River; and the Washington Artillery, Captain G H Walters, at Fort Walters, opposite Maffitt's Channel, eastern end of Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 4 February, 1861.

Note: The German Artillery, Company A, and the Lafayette Artillery were stationed at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, between 27 December, 1860, and 8 January, 1861, and arrived at Southern Wharf, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 8 January, 1861.

Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, 8 February, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Camp Gregg, on Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 8 February, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company C, under the command of Captain C Adams, was stationed at Moultrie House, one and a half miles east of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 12 February, 1861.

Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Companies B, F, & L, 11-12 February, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies B, F, and I, under the command of Major D H Hamilton, were ordered to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, at 2 PM on 11 February, 1861, and arrived at the Lighthouse, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 12 February, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies B, F, and I, relieved the Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina State Militia Infantry, at the Lighthouse, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 12 February, 1861, and Colonel J J Pettigrew, 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, was stationed at Vinegar Hill, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 6 January and 18 February, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). A detachment of twenty-five men of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was stationed at the Lighthouse, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 15 February, 1861.

Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, & Sullivans Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, 18 February, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, E, and I, under the command of Colonel M Gregg, were ordered to relieve the 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 18 February, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies C, D, G, H, and K, were stationed at Sullivans Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, under the command of Major A M Smith, between 18 February and 4 March, 1861, and Colonel J J Pettigrew, was assigned to command Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 6 January and 18 February, 1861.

Organisation of 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, 27 December, 1860: Colonel J J Pettigrew, Lieutenant Colonel J L Branch, Major E Capers; Washington Light Infantry, Captain C H Simonton; Carolina Light Infantry, Captain B G Pinckney; Meagher Guards or Emerald Light Infantry, Captain E McCrady, Jr.; Charleston Zouave Cadets, Captain P F Stevens; Moultrie Guards, Captain B W Palmer; German Riflemen, Captain J Small; Palmetto Riflemen, Captain A Melchers

Note: The Washington Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, was stationed at Fort Moultrie, Sullivans Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, between 27 December, 1860, and 11 February, 1861, and was ordered to Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 12 February, 1861. The Washington Artillery was stationed at Camp Torre, near Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 12 February and 12 March, 1861, and was relieved by the Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, in the morning on 13 March, 1861.

Castle Pinckney, Shutes Folly, Charleston Harbour,; Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina; Morris Island & Secessionville, James Island, Charleston Harbour; 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, 27 December, 1860-20 April, 1861: The Washington Light Infantry (90), the Meagher Guards (35), and the Carolina Light Infantry (35), 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, under the command of Colonel J J Pettigrew and Major E Capers, were ordered to proceed by the steamer Nina to Castle Pinckney, Shutes Folly, Charleston Harbour, at 4 AM on 27 December, 1860, and a detachment of thirty men of the Washington Light Infantry was ordered to Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning the same day. The German Riflemen (90) and the Charleston Zouave Cadets (45), 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, were ordered to proceed by the steamer General Clinch to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, at 2 PM on 2 January, 1861, and were stationed at an abandoned smallpox hospital near the Star of the West Battery at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 2 and 6 January, 1861. The Washington Light Infantry (60), the Meagher Guards, and the Carolina Light Infantry, 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, under the command of Colonel J J Pettigrew and Major E Capers, were ordered to proceed by the steamer General Clinch to Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the morning on 6 January, 1861, and the German Riflemen and the Charleston Zouave Cadets, were stationed as support at the rear of the Star of the West Battery or Fort Morris (four 24 pounders), under the command of Major P F Stevens, Citadel Military Academy, during the skirmish with the steamer Star of the West in the morning on 9 January, 1861. The Moultrie Guards, 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, stationed at the Southern Wharf, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, was ordered to relive the Charleston Riflemen, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, under the command of Captain J Johnson, Jr., at Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, Charleston Harbour, at 10 AM on 18 January, 1861, and the Meagher Guards (55) was ordered to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 14 February, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles was relieved by the 1st South Carolina Infantry and ordered to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 18 February, 1861, and the Carolina Light Infantry arrived by the steamer General Clinch at 1 PM and the Washington Light Infantry (60) at 4 PM the same day. The 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles was ordered by steamer at Chisolm's Ricemill Wharf, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Secessionville, James Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 26 February, 1861, and by the steamer Excel to Moultrieville, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 5 March, 1861. The Charleston Zouave Cadets arrived by a large flatboat at Moultrieville, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 8 March, 1861, and the 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles was stationed at Myrtles, near Pelican Point, Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles was relieved by the 5th South Carolina Infantry and ordered to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 19 April, 1861, and the Charleston Zouave Cadets by the steamer Pieris on 20 April, 1861 (See the 5th South Carolina Infantry).

Note: The Vigilant Rifles, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, was stationed near the Lighthouse, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 6 January, 1861, and the Carolina Light Infantry, 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, was stationed at the Star of the West Battery or Fort Morris on 26 January, 1861. The Montgomery Guards was stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 17 February, 1861, and arrived by the steamer General Clinch at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 1 PM on 18 February, 1861. The Marion Artillery and the German Artillery, Company A, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, were stationed at Castle Pinckney, Shutes Folly, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Major J A Wagener, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, on 9 February, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, Charleston Harbour, at 11 AM on 10 February, 1861. The German Artillery, Company A, arrived at Ferry Wharf, on Market Street, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 19 February, 1861.

Star of the West Battery or Fort Morris, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Company F, 22-23 February, 1861: A detachment of twenty-three men of the 1st South Carolina Company F, under the command of Captain J G Pressley, was stationed at the Star of the West Battery or Fort Morrs, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 22 and 23 February, 1861, and was relieved by the Columbia Artillery, under the command of Captain A J Green, on 23 February, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).

Note: Lieutenant Colonel W G DeSaussure, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, was ordered to Sullivan's Island and appointed commandant at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Orders No.27, 1st Regiment of Artillery, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 20 December, 1860, and was relieved by Special Orders No.9, Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861. He was assigned to command the artillery at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by Headquarters, South Carolina Army, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 March, 1861, and appointed commandant of batteries and assigned to command all the troops serving the batteries at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by Special Orders No.8, Headquarters, Provisional Forces, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 12 March, 1861.

Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Cummongs Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Companies C, D, G, H, & K, 4-5 March, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies C, D, G, H, and K, were ordered by steamer across Charleston Harbour to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Major A M Smith, at 4 PM on 4 March, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day. Companies C, D, G, H, and K were ordered to Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 5 March, 1861.

Iron or Stevens' Battery, at Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 11 & 12 March, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company I, was stationed at the Iron or Stevens' Battery, at Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Major P F Stevens, Citadel Military Academy, on 11 March, 1861, and was relieved by Orders No.108, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Forces on Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 12 March, 1861.

Note: The Palmetto Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, was assigned to the Iron or Stevens' Battery, at Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by Orders No.108, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Forces on Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 12 March, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).

Legaré's Landing, on the Stono River, James Island, Charleston Harbour, Company L, 13 March, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company L, was stationed at Legaré's Landing, on the Stono River, James Island, Charleston Harbour, on 13 March, 1861.

Note: A detachment of twenty or twenty-five men of the 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, Company C, was ordered to proceed on Schooner Creek to Legaré's Landing, on the Stono River, James Island, Charleston Harbour, in the evening on 9 April, 1861, and to Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, Charlseton Harbour, in the morning on 10 April, 1861.

General Orders No.8, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Battalion of Artillery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Company F, 27 March, 1861: A detachment of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F, under the command of Third Lieutenant E C Keels, was assigned to the Dahlgren or Sunken Battery (two 9 inch Dahlgren's), three hundred and fifty yards south of the Star of the West Battery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of First Lieutenant A F Warley, Confederate States Navy, by General Orders No.8, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Battalion of Artillery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 27 March, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F, under the command of Captain J G Pressley, was assigned to command the Vinegar Hill Battery (three 18 pounders), three hundred yards south of the Dahlgren or Sunken Battery, at Vinegar Hill, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 27 March, 1861.

General Orders No.8, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Battalion of Artillery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Company D, 27 March, 1861: A detachment of eight men of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was assigned to the Battery E (one 8 inch Columbiad), under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T G Lamar, aide to Governor F W Pickens, by General Orders No.8, Paragraph IV, Headquarters, Battalion of Artillery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 27 March, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel T G Lamar, aide to Governor F W Pickens, was assigned to command Battery E (one 8 inch columbiad), by Orders No.17, Headquarters, Provisional Army, Confederate States Army, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 21 March, 1861, and was ordered to Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, by Special Orders No.32, Headquarters, First Brigade, Morris Island, on 21 April, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel T G Lamar, aide to Governor F W Pickens, was appointed captain, 2nd South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, on 4 October, 1861.

Lighthouse, Morris Island, & Legaré's Landing, on the Stono River, James Island, Charleston Harbour, Companies A & L, 31 March, 1861.The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company A, was stationed two miles east of the Lighthouse, at Morris Island, and Company L at Legaré's Landing, on the Stono River, James Island, Charleston Harbour, on 31 March, 1861.

Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Corps Sharpshooters, detachments of Companies A & E, 7 April, 1861: A detachment of twenty-eight men of 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company A, and a detachment of twenty-eight men of Company E, were assigned to a Corps Sharpshooters, under the command of First Lieutenant J F Gist, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company E, at Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 7 April, 1861.

Lighthouse Hills, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 8 & 11 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to the rear of the Lighthouse Hills, southern end of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, as support to the Lighthouse or Huger's Battery and the Lighthouse Inlet Battery by Captain & Acting Assistant Adjutant General S D Lee, South Carolina Army, on 8 April, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Gregg, rear of the Lighthouse Hills, south of Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 11 April, 1861.

Note: Three companies of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry was ordered to Beacon Hills, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, as support to the Sunken or Dahlgren Battery, under the command of First Lieutenant A F Warely, Confederate States Navy, and three companies to Gadberry's Hill, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by Captain & Acting Assistant Adjutant General S D Lee, South Carolina Army, on 8 April, 1861.

Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Company M, 9 April, 1861: The Richardson Guards, under the command of Captain F D Richardson, were stationed at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, as part of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, Fourth Brigade (Charleston), Second Division, South Carolina Militia, on 23 January, 1861.

Organisation of 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, 9 April, 1861: Colonel J Cunningham, Lieutenant Colonel W P Shingler, Major J J Lucas; Charleston Riflemen, Captain J Johnson, Jr.; Sumter Guards, Captain J Russell; Irish Volunteers, Captain E Magrath; Union Light Infantry, Captain D Ramsay; Calhoun Guards, Captain J B Fraser; Richardson Guards, Captain F D Richardson; German Fusiliers, Captain S Lord, Jr.; Montgomery Guards, Captain J Connor; Palmetto Guards, Captain G B Cuthbert; Cadet Riflemen, Captain N S Elliot; Brooks Guards, Captain J E Carew; Phoenix Riflemen, Captain P C Gaillard

Note: The Montgomery Guards, the German Fusiliers, the Calhoun Guards, the Irish Volunteers, the Cadet Riflemen, the Sumter Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, were assigned to active duty by General Orders No.81, Headquarters, Fourth Brigade, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, and the Union Light Infantry, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, were assigned to active duty by General Orders No.82, Headquarters, Fourth Brigade, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 9 AM on 9 April, 1861, dated 8 April, 1861, and the German Fusiliers, the Calhoun Guards, the Irish Volunteers, and the Sumter Guards were ordered to proceed by the steamer Excel to Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, at 6 AM the same day.

Distribution of 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, & Fort Pickens, Battery Island, on the Stono River, eight miles south of Charleston, Charlseton District, South Carolina, 12-13 April, 1861: The Irish Volunteers, First Lieutenant W H Ryan; the Union Light Infantry, First Lieutenant D Broadfoot; the Calhoun Guards, Captain J B Fraser; the German Fusiliers, Captain S Lord, Jr.; the Montgomery Guards, Captain J Connor; the Cadet Riflemen, Captain N S Elliot; Brooks Guards, Lieutenant Colonel A B Rhett, Aide de Camp to Governor F W Pickens; and the Phoenix Riflemen, Captain P C Gaillard, were stationed between Gadberry and Vinegar Hills, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Colonel J Cunningham, Acting Lieutenant Colonel & Captain E McGrath, Irish Volunteers, and Acting Major & Captain D Ramsay, Union Light Infantry; the Charleston Riflemen, Captain J Johnson, Jr., at Fort Pickens, on the Stono River, Battery Island, eight miles south of Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina; the Richardson Guards, Captain F D Richardson, on the right of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, naer Lighthouse Hills, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour; the Palmetto Guards, Captain G B Cuthbert, at the Iron or Stevens' Battery and Point Batterise Nos.1 and 2, Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour; and the Sumter Guards, Captain J Russell, at the rear of the Trapier Battery, near Cummings Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Note: Captain J E Carew, Brooks Guards, was sick at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861, and the Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, under the command of Captain J G King, was assigned to Battery G (two 8 inch howitzers) and the Trapier Battery (three 10 inch mortars), near Cumming's Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by General Orders No.8, Headquarters, Battalion of Artillery, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 27 March, 1861. The Sumter Guards was assigned as a reserve to a detachment of the Marion Artillery, 1st South Carolina Militia Artillery, under the command of Captain J G King, stationed at the the Trapier Battery, near Cumming's Point, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861, and a detachment of fifteen men was assigned to the Trapier Battery, near Cumming's Point, Morris Island, Chraleston Harbour, on 13 April, 1861. The 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry was relieved and ordered to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 29 April, 1861.

Bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 12-13 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Cummings Point, Battery E, the Dahlgren or Sunken Battery (two 9 inch Dahlgren's), three hundred and fifty yards south of the Star of the West Battery; the Vinegar Hill Battery, three hundred yards south of the Dahlgren or Sunken Battery, at Vinegar Hill; and the Lighthouse Inlet, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Note: Colonel M Gregg, 1st South Carolina Infantry, was assigned to command Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, between 3 March and 10 April, 1861, and Brigadier General J W Simons, Fourth Brigade (Charleston), Second Division, South Carolina Militia, was assigned to command Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by General Orders No.1, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 11 April, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company E, was stationed assigned to pickett duty at Lighthouse Inlet, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 12 April, 1861.

Memorandum of instructions for the troops tonight, Paragraphs I & II, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 12 April, 1861: A detachment of the 1st South Carolina Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel D H Hamilton, was ordered near and about the Lighthouse or Huger's Battery (two 42 pounders) to the right of the 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry, under the command of Colonel J Cunningham, at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour; a detachment, under the command of Major A M Smith, to the west of the hills towards the Lighthouse or Huger's Battery (two 42 pounders) at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour; and a detachment, under the command of Colonel M Gregg, near the beach at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Memorandum of instructions for the troops tonight, Paragraphs I and II, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the evening on 12 April, 1861.

Memorandum of instructions for the troops tonight, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 12 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company E, under the command of First Lieutenant J F Gist, was assigned to Colonel J B Kershaw, 2nd South Carolina Infantry, by Memorandum of instructions for the troops tonight, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the evening on 12 April, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).

Note: A detachment of twelve men of the German Hussars, 4th South Carolina Militia Cavalry, was assigned to Colonel M Gregg, 1st South Carolina Infantry; a detachment of six men to Colonel J B Kershaw, 2nd South Carolina Infantry; a detachment of six men to Colonel J Cunningham, 17th South Carolina Militia Infantry; and the remainder to Headquarters as couriers by Memorandum of instructions for the troops tonight, Paragarph VII, Headquarters, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, in the evening on 12 April, 1861, and the German Hussars, 4th South Carolina Militia Cavalry, under the command of Captain T Cordes, was assigned to the 1st South Carolina Militia Rifles, First Brigade (Charleston), Second Division, South Carolina Militia, on 27 December, 1860.

Special Orders No.21, Headquarters, Northern Portion, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, Company C, 16 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company C, was stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T G Lamar, aide to Governor F W Pickens, on 16 April, 1861.

General Orders No.24, Headquarters, Provisional Forces, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 17 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, under the command of Colonel M Gregg, and the 1st South Carolina Infantry, under the command of Colonel J Hagood, were assigned to the Second Brigade, under the command of Brigadier General P H Nelson, South Carolina Volunteers, by General Orders No.24, Headquarters, Provisional Forces, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 17 April, 1861.

Mustered in two months & nineteen, twenty-two, & twenty-three days, at Charleston, Charleston District; Camden, Kershaw District; & Lexington, Lexington District, South Carolina, 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861; 23 April & 26 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, E, H, I, K, L, and M, were mustered in Confederate service for two months and twenty-three days at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861; Company C for two months and twenty-three days by Second Lieutenant T T Grayson, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 22 April, 1861, dated 23 April, 1861; Company N for two months and twenty-two days at Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, by Second Lieutenant W R Bullock, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 23 April, 1861; and Company O for two months and nineteen days at Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 26 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies D, F, G, and a detachment of Company B, declined Confederate service on 21 April, 1861.

Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, to Kingstree, Williamsburg District, South Carolina, Company F, 26 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company F, declined Confederate service on 21 April, 1861, and was disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The company arrived by the Northeastern Railroad at Kingstree, Williamsburg District, South Carolina, in afternoon on 26 April, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant D G McIntosh, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was appointed captain, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 23 April, 1861, and F F Warley was appointed captain, 2nd South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, under the command of Major T G Lamar, 2nd South Carolina Battalion Artillery, on 20 March, 1862.

Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, Companies D, G, & detachment of Company B, 29 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies D, G, and a detachment of Company B, declined Confederate service on 21 April, 1861, and were disbanded at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 26 April, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies D, G, and a detachment of Company B, under the command of Senior Captain F F Warley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 29 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was ordered to proceed by the South Carolina Railroad to Abbeville, Abbeville District, South Carolina, in the evening on 29 April, 1861, and arrived by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad on 30 April, 1861.

Major General M L Bonham, South Carolina Volunteers, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, 14-21 April, 1861: Major General M L Bonham, South Carolina Volunteers, was assigned to command the troops at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, by General Orders No.6, Headquarters, Division South Carolina Volunteers, Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 14 April, 1861, and was relieved by General Orders No.27, Headquarters, Provisional Army of South Carolina, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 21 April, 1861.

Official statement of the number of the First South Carolina Infantry who left with Colonel M Gregg for Virginia, 7 May, 1861: Company A, Richland or Columbia Rifles (54); Company B, Darlington Guards (28); Company C, Edgefield Rifles (38); Company D, Abbeville Volunteers (11); Company E, Union (District) Volunteers (80); Company F, Wee Nee Volunteers (0); Company G, Hamburg Volunteers (30); Company H, Cherokee Pond Guards (40); Company I, Fairfield Volunteers or Monticello Guards (32); Company K, Marion Volunteers (49); Company L, Rhett Guards (35)

Official statement of the number of the First South Carolina Infantry who refused to go to Virginia under the command of Colonel M Gregg, 7 May, 1861: Company A, Richland or Columbia Rifles (61); Company B, Darlington Guards (66); Company C, Edgefield Rifles (50); Company D, Abbeville Volunteers (92); Company E, Union (District) Volunteers (20); Company F, Wee Nee Volunteers (96); Company G, Hamburg Volunteers (45); Company H, Cherokee Pond Guards (43); Company I, Fairfield Volunteers or Monticello Guards (48); Company K, Marion Volunteers (41); Company L, Rhett Guards (43)

Confederate Service

The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L, arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the evening on 21 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies D, F, G, and a detachment of Company B, under the command of Senior Captain F F Warley, 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, were stationed at Morris Island, Charleston Harbour, on 21 April, 1861.

Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, & L, 22-24 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L, were ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the afternoon on 22 April, 1861, and were accompanied by Major General M L Bonham and Colonels M A Moore and J R Calhoun, South Carolina Volunteers. Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L arrived by the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad at Weldon, Halifax County, via Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina, on 23 April, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by Weldon Railroad to Richmond, Virginia at 9 AM on 24 April, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L, arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Pickens, near the Central or Old Fairgrounds, Richmond, via Petersburg, Virginia, at 6 PM on 24 April, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, under the command of First Lieutenant J B McIntosh, was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the afternoon on 22 April, 1861.

Camden, Kershaw District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Virginia, Company M, 23-25 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company M, under the command of First Lieutenant C Axon, was ordered to proceed by the Camden Branch, South Carolina Railroad, to Richmond, Virginia, at 1 AM on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Pickens, the Central or Old Fairgrounds, near Richmond, via Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Virginia, Company N, 23-25 April, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company N, was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the evening on 23 April, 1861, and in the morning on 24 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Pickens, the Central or Old Fairgrounds, near Richmond, via Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Virginia, Company O, 30 April-1 May, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company O, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the morning on 30 April, 1861, and was accompanied by a detachment of the Governor's Guards, 2nd South Carolina Infantry, Company A, under the command of Second Lieutenant S L Leaphart, and a detachment of the Columbia Greys, 2nd South Carolina Infantry, Company C (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Camp Pickens, near the Central or Old Fairgrounds, near Richmond via Petersburg, Virginia, on 1 May, 1861.

Central or Old Fairgrounds, to Reservoir, near Trotting Park, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to the Reservoir, near Trotting Park, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Davis, the Reservoir, near Trotting Park, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, the same day.

Reservoir, near Trotting Park, Oregon Hill, Richmond, to Richmond to Manassas Junction, Virginia, 23-24 May, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Virginia, at 4 PM on 23 May, 1861, dated 22 may, 1861, and was accompanied by Brigadier General M L Bonham. The regiment arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, via Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861.

Manassas Junction, Virginia, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 26-27 May, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 26 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Gregg, near Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 27 May, 1861.

Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Camp Gregg, near Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, during the skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 3 and 4 AM on 1 June, 1861 (See the Skirmish at Fairfax Courthouse).

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company E, was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861, and the 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Camp Bonham, near Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861. The 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and B, arrived at Camp Bonham, near Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861 (See the 30th Virginia Cavalry).

Centreville to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 15 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM on 15 June, 1861, and arrived at 7 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st Virginia Infantry, Companies B, D, G, and K, were stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W H Fry, on 15 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, to Frying Pan Church, on the Old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Frying Pan Church, on the Old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel M Gregg, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Chesterfield Light Dragoons, Company B, and a detachment of the Hanover Light Dragoons.

Note: A section of the Alexandria Artillery, under the command of Captain D Kemper, and the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company A, and a detachment of the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, under the command of Captain W R Terry, arrived at Frying Pan Church, on the Old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 16 June, 1861.

Frying Pan Church, on the Old Ox Road, to Dranesville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry arrived at Dranesville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 16 June, 1861.

Skirmish on the Hampshire, Loudoun & Alexandria Railroad, near Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, 17 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Hunter's Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861, and arrived at Vienna via Hunter's Mills, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM the same day. The regiment was engaged in a skirmish on the Hampshire, Loudoun & Alexandria Railroad, near Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 6 and 8 PM on 17 June, 1861 (See the Vienna Expedition).

Note: Ayer Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, was renamed Vienna by Dr W Hendrick in 1855 and Colonel M Gregg, 1st South Carolina Infantry, was ordered on a reconnaissance to Seneca Creek, on the Potomac River, in the morning on 17 June, 1861. The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was assigned as support to a section of the Alexandria Artillery during the skirmish on the Hampshire, Loudoun & Alexandria Railroad, near Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Vienna to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 17-18 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 17 June, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 AM on 18 June, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General M L Bonham, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, 19 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM on 19 June, 1861.

Germantown to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 June, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 21 June, 1861, and was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The regiment arrived near the Little River Turnpike, one and a quarter miles north of Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, to Manassas, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Special orders No.71, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction via Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was disbanded at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861, and the 8th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special orders No.71, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 29 June, 1861 (See the 8th South Carolina Infantry).

Manassas Junction to Richmond, Virginia, 3-4 July, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, on 3 July, 1861, and arrived by the Virginia Central Railroad via Gordonsville, Orange County, on 4 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Richmond, Virginia, 9 July, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry was mustered out at Richmond, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861.

Reorganisation of 1st South Carolina Infantry, 21 September, 1861: Colonel M Gregg, Lieutenant Colonel D H Hamilton, Sr., Major A M Smith; Company A, Gregg Guards, Captain C W McCreary; Company B, Rhett Guards, Captain W Walker; Company C, Richland Rifles, Captain J Cordero; Company D, Pee Dee Rifles, Captain D G McIntosh; Company E, Marion Rifles, Captain W P Shooter; Company F, Horry Rebels, Captain T P Alston; Company G, Butler Sentinels, Captain A P Butler; Company H, Haskell's Rifle Corps, Captain W T Haskell; Company I, Richardson Guards, Captain C L Boag; Company K, Irish Volunteers, Captain E E McCrady, Jr.; Company L, Carolina Light Infantry, Captain C D Barksdale; Company M, Furnam Guards, Captain W H Campbell

Mustered in war, Richmond, Virginia, & Lightwood Knot Springs, on the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad, seven miles above Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 17, 18, 19, & 30 August & 3, 15, & 21 September, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Richmond, Virginia, on 17 August, 1861; Company E for the war on 18 August, 1861; Companies A, E, and G for the war on 19 August, 1861; Company C for the war on 30 August, 1861; Companies H, L, and M at Lightwood Knot Springs, on the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad, seven miles above Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, for the war on 3 September, 1861; Company I for the war at Richmond, Virginia, on 7 September, 1861; Company D for the war on 15 September, 1861, dated 15 August, 1861; and Company K for the war on 21 September, 1861.

Note: The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was detached and redesignated the Pee Dee Light Artillery, under the command of Captain D G McIntosh, in March 1862 and was assigned to the 18th South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company C (2nd), on 4 June, 1864. The 1st South Carolina Infantry, Company M, was redesignated the Furman Artillery and assigned to the 3rd South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, under the command of Captain W H Campbell, on 13 October, 1861.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 1st South Carolina Infantry surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Major General M L Bonham, South Carolina Militia, was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Virginia, at 6 PM on 24 April, 1861. He was accompanied by the 1st South Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, I, K, and L, and was assigned to command the Department of Alexandria and establish headquarters at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Special Orders No.95, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861 (See the 1st South Carolina Infantry). Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st South Carolina Infantry. He arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, via Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the the troops stationed at Fairfax County, Virginia, and the 2nd South Carolina Infantry by Special Orders No. 1 and General Orders No.9, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry). Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 4 and 9 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Black Horse Troop (See Munford's Squadron Cavalry). He was assigned to command the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and reappointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 21 October, 1861, dated 14 July, 1861.

Note: Brigadier general P G T Beauregard assumed command of the Department of Alexandria at Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.3: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp128-129
Colonel M Gregg, First South Carolina Infantry, dated camp near Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1.30 AM 18 June, 1861