The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Captain W W Mead, Loudoun Cavalry

Captain W W Mead, Loudoun Cavalry

Independent Companies Cavalry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 19 July, 1861. Stationed in the vicinity of F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL R C W RADFORD, Thirtieth Virginia Cavalry

Loudoun Cavalry: CAPT. W W MEAD
The company was accepted in state service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, under the command of Captain D T Shreve, on 17 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service by Colonel E Hunton, Provisionla Army of Virginia, on 22 April, 1861. Captain D T Shreve, Loudoun Cavalry, resigned on 16 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant W W Mead, Loudoun Cavalry, was appointed captain the same day. The company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company K, by Special Orders No.276, Paragraph XVI, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 5 December, 1861.
Madison Cavalry or Invincibles: CAPT. W THOMAS
The company was accepted in state service at Madison Courthouse, Madison County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Brigadier General P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 28 April, 1861, and was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company C, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September 1861. The company was ordered to rendezvous at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 19 September, 1861.

Paxson's Troop

Captain T Paxson

Paxson's Troop was accepted in state service at Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to guard the Berlin Bridge, on the Potomac River, opposite Berlin, Frederick County, Maryland, on 24 April, 1861 (See the Virginia Militia). The company arrived at the Berlin Bridge, on the Potomac River, via Lovettsville, Loudoun County, Virginia, the same day and was ordered to Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861. The company was disbanded and the men assigned to the Loudoun Cavalry and the Fauquier Mountain Rangers on 27 April, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry).

Note: Captain T Paxson, Paxson's Troop, was appointed private, Loudoun Cavalry, on 27 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Mirror emphatically contradicts a statement made by the Baltimore Sun, that Capt. Shreve, of the Loudoun cavalry, had been killed in a brush with the Federalists. Capt. Shreve, however, has resigned the command of the company, and Lieut. Meade has been elected to fill the vacancy."

The Democratic Mirror (Leesburg, Loudoun County), 19 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Fourth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by K L Stiles

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Sixth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by M Musick

A guide to Virginia military organisations, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Confederate engineer: Training and campaigning with John Morris Wampler, by George G Kundahl

Autobiography of Eppa Hunton

Southern Historical Society Papers Volume 32: General Eppa Hunton at the battle of Bull Run, 21 July, 1861, statement that he saved the Confederate army from defeat

Letters from Lee's Army, by Susan Leigh Blackford

Virginia valley records: Genealogical and historical materials of Rockingham County, Virginia, and related regions, with map, by John Walter Wayland and David A Heatwole

Notes

Loudoun Cavalry

The Loudoun Cavalry was accepted in state service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, 22 April, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was mustered in state service for one year at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861.

Leesburg, Loudoun County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 May, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was ordered to proceed by the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Loudoun Guards (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Alexandria, Virginia to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, 23-24 May, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was ordered to Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 23 May, 1861, and was assigned to Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, on 24 May, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Cavalry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, 9 June, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was assigned to guard and picket duty at Point of Rocks, Frederick County, Maryland, on 9 June, 1861.

Note: Captain T Ashby, Fauquier Mountain Rangers, destroyed the covered bridges at Point of Rocks and Berlin, Frederick County, Maryland, in the morning on 9 June, 1861, and proceeded to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, the same day. Captain D T Shreve, Loudoun Cavalry, was wounded during a skirmish at Edward's Ferry, on the Potomac River, three and a half miles southwest of Poolesville, Montgomery County, Maryland, on 15 June, 1861, and resigned on 16 June, 1861.

Heaters Island, on the Potomac River, 14 July, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry captured a detachment of five men of the 1st New Hampshire Infantry in the vicinity of Heaters Island, on the Potomac River, on 14 July, 1861 (See the Three Months' Volunteers, Department of Washington).

Leesburg, Loudoun County, to F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18-19 July, 1861: The Loudoun Cavalry was ordered to proceed by the old Carolina Road to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel E Hunton, 8th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 8th Virginia Infantry, the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles, the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, and the Loudoun Artillery. The company arrived at O Buckner's Farm, two and a half miles south of Gum Spring, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 July, 1861. The Loudoun Cavalry arrived at F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 12 PM the same day.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, 21 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry, the 19th Virginia Infantry, and the 28th Virginia Infantry were assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861; the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, on 22 June, 1861 (See the Hale's Squadron Cavalry); a section of the Lynchburg Artillery by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861 (See the Lynchburg Artillery); the 49th Virginia Infantry, Companies B, E, and H, and Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry on 18 July, 1861; and the 8th Virginia Infantry, the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles, the Loudoun Cavalry, the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, and the Loudoun Artillery on 19 July, 1861.

Note: The Loudoun Cavalry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, at F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 19 July, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 31 August, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

The Loudoun Cavalry was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, under the command of Colonel C W Field, by Special Orders No.276, Paragraph XVI, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 5 December, 1861.

Madison Cavalry or Invincibles

The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was accepted in state service at Madison County, Virginia, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861. The company was stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 28 April, 1861: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was mustered in state for one year at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Brigadier General P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 28 April, 1861.

Return of troops stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 20 May, 1861: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 20 May, 1861.

Note: The Madison Cavalry, Powhatan Troop, and Albemarle Light Horse were stationed at Freeman's House, four miles southwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was stationed in the vicinity of Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861.

Leesburg, Loudoun County, to F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18-19 July, 1861: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was ordered to proceed by the old Carolina Road to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel E Hunton, 8th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 8th Virginia Infantry, the Loudoun Cavalry, the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, and the Loudoun Artillery. The company arrived at O Buckner's Farm, two and a half miles south of Gum Spring, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the evening the same day and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 19 July, 1861. The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles arrived at F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 12 PM the same day.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, 21 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry, the 19th Virginia Infantry, and the 28th Virginia Infantry were assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861; the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company B, on 22 June, 1861 (See the Hale's Squadron Cavalry); a section of the Lynchburg Artillery by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861 (See the Lynchburg Artillery); the 49th Virginia Infantry, Companies B, E, and H, and Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry on 18 July, 1861; and the 8th Virginia Infantry, the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles, the Loudoun Cavalry, the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, and the Loudoun Artillery on 19 July, 1861.

Note: The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, at F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 19 July, 1861, and was assigned as scouts and couriers during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

The Madison Cavalry or Invincibles was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, under the command of Colonel B H Robertson, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Sangsters or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 19 September, 1861.

Independent Companies Cavalry

After the first battle of Manassas the Loudoun Cavalry and the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles were ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.154 1/2, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861, dated 23 July, 1861, and were accompanied by the 8th Virginia Infantry, the 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, and the Loudoun Artillery. The Loudoun Cavalry and the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles arrived at Camp Berkeley, on the south bank of Goose Creek, Ball's Mill, five miles north of Gum Spring, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 July, 1861.

Note: The Loudoun Cavalry and the Madison Cavalry or Invincibles were assigned to the Seventh Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 11 August, 1861.

Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Captain P St G Cocke, Powhatan Troop, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, and assigned to command the military operations of the State of Virginia bounding the Potomac River on 21 April, 1861 (See Headquarters, Army of the Potomac). Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day and was stationed at the Mansion House Hotel, on Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861. He was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the Washington Volunteers, Companies A and B (See the Garrison at Alexandria). Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861. Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, was assigned to command the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 21 October, 1861. Brigadier General P St G Cocke, Confederate States Army, committed suicide at Belmead, on the James River, nine miles northwest of Powhatan Courthouse, Powhatan, Powhatan County, Virginia, on 26 December, 1861.

Note: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the troops from the counties of Rappahannock, Culpeper, Madison, Green, Orange, Albemarle, Nelson, Amherst, Campbell, Bedford, Roanoke, Botetourt, and Craig by Special Orders No.39, Paragraph III, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT: Series I, Volume 51, Part I (Serial No.107), pp24-32
Colonel P St. G Cocke, Confederate States Army, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated Camp Suspension Bridge, in the vicinity of the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 August, 1861